Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

High speed rail vs rail questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> High speed rail vs rail questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
High speed rail vs rail questions - 6/25/2020 6:10:03 PM   
jwarrenw13

I have a well developed rail system. I am now building a high speed rail system. But how does that work? Do they co-exist? Or does one replace the other. Right now I have level IV rail stations through most of my growing empire and am building level one high speed rail. It seems that they co-exist and both provide logistics. So how do I go about developing my high speed rail and what are the advantages? This just seems to be one area where I can read the manual and such and I'm still confused, even though the answer is probably very simple. Don't be afraid to give me the "high speed rail for dummies" explanation.

< Message edited by jwarrenw13 -- 6/25/2020 6:13:49 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 6/25/2020 6:22:19 PM   
zgrssd

My understand is that you want to replace your snailRail with the Highspeed Rail System. The biggest issues are stations, as you can not just swap between normal and HS Rail Stations. So building just outside the city may be the only way.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 2
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 6/25/2020 7:37:39 PM   
IamMax

Rail and high speed rail both use the same railroads. They co-exist. The advantage of high-speed rail is substantially higher range and especially capacity.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 6/26/2020 10:09:30 PM   
Zyphtan

In the manual they give higher capacity and AP so they can travel alot father. Vic said that with the new changes in the beta the high speed rail is intended to replace the rail system as the rail system will be getting nerf

(in reply to IamMax)
Post #: 4
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 4:29:10 PM   
solops

How do you upgrade/replace rail with hi-speed rail? right now it appears that the only way is to scrap the regular rail and re-build with hi-speed which makes NO sense. The quick way would be to simply make it an upgrade, but in reality the systems should co-exist, each having a separate rail and station system. Regular trains COULD run on hi-speed rails, but hi-speed trains need hi-speed grade rails.

And you cannot just scrap an asset. You have to "Close" it and wait many turns while it slowly disintegrates.

< Message edited by solops -- 12/4/2020 4:55:01 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Zyphtan)
Post #: 5
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 5:57:47 PM   
solops

24 turns to shut down a level 7 rail station and start a new hi-speed station. That is a long time to be without rail from a city.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 6
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 6:28:56 PM   
Clux

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

24 turns to shut down a level 7 rail station and start a new hi-speed station. That is a long time to be without rail from a city.

Yep, it has been asked already since the 1.0 release of the game back on June than we can have both assets on the city but its still on the "nice to have" list of Vic...

< Message edited by Clux -- 12/4/2020 6:29:18 PM >

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 7
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 6:40:31 PM   
zuekamo

what happens if I put a railhead in the city and the train station in the proximity. is there some penalization for the SHQ to distribute the supplies?

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 8
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 6:54:28 PM   
solops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clux

quote:

Yep, it has been asked already since the 1.0 release of the game back on June than we can have both assets on the city but its still on the "nice to have" list of Vic...

It is way beyond "nice to have". It is absolutely vital to both the economy and keeping units supplied.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 9
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/4/2020 9:41:18 PM   
Jorgas

I end up skipping normal rail station, and go to high rail normally it's a bit messy with only using trucks until midgame, but i just can't be bothered to scrap and build new.

+1 for upgradable building, like make normal rail 5 upgrade into high tech one or something

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 10
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/5/2020 12:29:41 AM   
gmsitton

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuekamo

what happens if I put a railhead in the city and the train station in the proximity. is there some penalization for the SHQ to distribute the supplies?

Build the railhead in your city. Once it is finished, destroy your train station. Once that process is complete, start building your maglev station.

(in reply to zuekamo)
Post #: 11
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 12/5/2020 12:35:33 AM   
Destragon

quote:

It is way beyond "nice to have". It is absolutely vital to both the economy and keeping units supplied.

It would be, if it wasn't possible to just build it one tile next to the city or on any other tile.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 12
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 7/11/2021 4:53:51 PM   
solops

Bump. Vic, when is the upgrade/replacement mechanism for regular rail to hi-speed going to be implemented? The work-arounds are sloppy, time consuming and irritating. It is a basic game mechanic and I place this at or near the top of what I''d like to see implemented, far ahead of navies and so forth.

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 13
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 7/11/2021 5:42:20 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Bump. Vic, when is the upgrade/replacement mechanism for regular rail to hi-speed going to be implemented? The work-arounds are sloppy, time consuming and irritating. It is a basic game mechanic and I place this at or near the top of what I''d like to see implemented, far ahead of navies and so forth.

In the .06 beta, we can now "Disband level" on any building, including private assets. So there goes the more annoying part of having to wait for the scrapping.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 14
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 7/12/2021 8:57:01 PM   
solops

The"Disband" is a huge help. Is it the final answer?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 15
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 7/12/2021 10:11:13 PM   
Mercutio

You could push your research toward high speed rail and stay small if the map is right, but that comes with inherent risk. Really a modernization project would be welcome. That said, most (if not all that I am aware of) high speed rail is on special tracks. Perhaps to make everyone happy is "old rail" and "new rail" and you could lay the tracks side by side?

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 16
RE: High speed rail vs rail questions - 7/13/2021 8:58:33 AM   
BlueTemplar

Easier would be high speed rail to be an actual rail rather than station upgrade, just like dirt => sealed roads.
You would lose the oil => electricity upgrade cost aspect though... (could have both ?)

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> High speed rail vs rail questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI