Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map is all Blue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Great Invasions >> Tech Support >> Map is all Blue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map is all Blue - 12/6/2018 12:42:13 AM   
King Cat

I'm having trouble with map colors when I load the game. I've contacted Matrix's support desk and they think it has something to do with how newer versions of windows (I have windows 10) handle 8/16/32 bit graphics, but said they can do nothing to fix it. I've tried running the game in compatibility mode as well as using both my main and integrated graphics cards, but the problem persists. I was wondering if any here had encountered this problem and possibly had a fix.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/6/2018 5:59:55 AM   
zakblood

my tips are just general ones for windows 10, but so far it's worked for most if not all games i've tested

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4454024

then if you also have a nvidia card etc,

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491486

with a installation guide for a game of the same age below

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4072416

as the guide offer a install guide, you would have to uninstall the one you have done first, on the dual GPU part, the only way of forcing the game to use the correct one is make sure at first all drivers are the latest

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/6/2018 6:00:05 AM >

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 2
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/7/2018 2:12:20 AM   
King Cat

Thanks for the response, I've followed the guides you provided and it still is showing up blue.

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 3
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/8/2018 6:33:47 AM   
zakblood

new guide made for you to follow if you wish to uninstall and reinstall and follow it

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4565524&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 4
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/8/2018 6:40:17 AM   
zakblood

from what i can see about your image, your missing the pre requisites which are needed by the game to display the right images, once installed, it should work fine and display the right colours, good luck with my guide and hope it helps

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/8/2018 6:05:04 PM   
King Cat

Thanks for your help, but it's still showing up blue. I do have a GTX 1050 as opposed to the 960, might that make a difference?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/8/2018 7:01:06 PM   
zakblood

no, it's the missing pre requisites that make it blue, as with them, it works

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 7
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/8/2018 10:29:55 PM   
King Cat

When you say pre-requisites you mean that I am missing some program outside of the game that I would need to display the map image right?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/9/2018 5:11:35 AM   
zakblood

if you had followed the guide, then yes they are clearly explained which are needed to run, without them installed, the game will show a blue screen like your's, once added which is part of the installer, but some don't install, then get the error, as they mistakenly think having later versions of the same file works, which it doesn't.

as per post and guide

each game needs a given pre requisite to work and each one could be a different build number per game, loading any game could use a different one, so having the latest of any version on the pc, makes no difference, as the latest isn't backwards compatible with older versions, so all are needed, some even have to versions, a 32bit and a 64bit version, if your running a 64bit version of windows but the game needs a 32bit installer, both need to be installed for the game to work, as while the game may only need 32bit ones, the version of windows is 64bit, so would need the extra instructions loaded as well, and it's always 32bit first and then the 64bit, this doesn't apply to this game, just noting it as extra information for others.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/9/2018 5:15:42 AM >

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 9
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/9/2018 12:29:04 PM   
King Cat

I'm still not quite sure what you are getting at with this picture. I actually had Legacy and direct play components enabled already, but I disabled and then enabled them just for good measure. Is this list just part of the programs and features list in the control panel? If so how do I know which of these components are relevant to Great Invasions? Would that just be DirectX 8.1 and DivX 5.21? If not where would I find this list of programs? Is there any special significance to the squares that are blotting out some of the programs on the list? I'm sorry if I'm causing you frustration, I'm not trying to cause trouble and I really do appreciate you trying to help me with this.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/10/2018 1:57:00 AM   
King Cat

Are these the correct programs? What am I missing here?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 11
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/10/2018 6:41:26 AM   
zakblood

if you follow my guide, it will ask and install all the correct programs for the game to work, the picture shown was just to prove a point that each and every game needs a different set and that's all

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4565524&mpage=1&key=

this is the only guide and information needed, it works if you uninstall and follow it

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/10/2018 6:43:03 AM >

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 12
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/10/2018 6:46:09 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: King Cat

I'm still not quite sure what you are getting at with this picture. I actually had Legacy and direct play components enabled already, but I disabled and then enabled them just for good measure. Is this list just part of the programs and features list in the control panel? If so how do I know which of these components are relevant to Great Invasions? Would that just be DirectX 8.1 and DivX 5.21? If not where would I find this list of programs? Is there any special significance to the squares that are blotting out some of the programs on the list? I'm sorry if I'm causing you frustration, I'm not trying to cause trouble and I really do appreciate you trying to help me with this.

seems i've confused you, just follow the guide with the link i've posted, that tells you all you need to do to install and get this one game to work, forget the rest for now, that's my tip.

this game only needs DirectX 8.1 and DivX 5.21, but may also need direct play components enabled to work, as i have it enabled by default, and imo shouldn't be disabled, these are only the 3 this game needs

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 13
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/11/2018 12:07:49 AM   
King Cat

I uninstalled Great Invasions and DivX, I couldn't figure out how to uninstall DirectX 8.1. Then I reinstalled everything as per your guide but it is still not working. However I did notice several things.

1. When I reinstalled Great Invasions it still have the compatibility and administrator setting that I gave it when I was messing with it earlier, and I can't seem to remove them, at least not the administrator permissions. Is it possible that I might have to try cleaning the registry somehow?

2. I went to where the DirectX 8.1 files were being stored and ran the dxsetup.exe and got the message "This version of DirectX is not compatible with the version of Windows currently installed.". I then went and tried installing the versions of DirectX that I found on several sites that are in the attached image.

They all installed, but none of them made a difference. Is there any particular place you would recommend getting DirectX 8.1 from or do you think I have DirectX adequately installed now?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by King Cat -- 12/11/2018 12:08:57 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 14
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/11/2018 4:34:12 AM   
zakblood

i installed the version which came with the game as shown in the screenshots, if it doesn't work and you installed as shown, there's not a lot left to do, as it's DivX and also DirectX which the game needs as it's pre requisites, like i've mentioned before, it's just these files the game needs, but i also do some other things that help windows be more compatible with older games, nothing that already doesn't come with windows 10, so only tips, no edited etc needed.

so it's either the drivers on your system not being compatible, or something else, which the list could be as long as your arm.

my version is a clean install of windows 10

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)

not an upgrade from an older version of windows 10, or a older version of windows, as any error or item missing or faulty in of the previous version of windows could be at fault.

it could be something simple, or not, but not knowing what fully you have tried or settings you have manually altered, it harder now to say what could be wrong

for sure as it's a DirectX game, like any which use it DirectPlay needs to be installed and enabled and never disabled, as you have added it then enabled and for some reason disabled it also, anything i add or alter i leave on

i leave installed

and it becomes the default, altering anything now without first knowing which part is enabled or disabled could be the cause of still the blue screen.

when you uninstall a game, i never uninstall any pre requisites, and if i re install the same game, i also always re run the installers for any pre requisites, even if it's the same day i uninstalled them, as it only over writes and repairs, so uninstalling or reinstalling isn't needed.

i'm sorry the guide didn't help, it seems something on your system isn't correct, but what is anyone's guess

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/11/2018 4:40:22 AM >

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 15
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/11/2018 10:27:53 AM   
King Cat

Ok, well thanks for the help. I'll keep messing around with it, but I don't have much hope. If anything else occurs to you let me know, other thanks a lot for your time an ssistance.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 16
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/11/2018 11:02:47 AM   
zakblood

no problem and hope in the end you sort it, as i've tried it on 2 pc's and one laptop and so far it worked on all 3, so maybe hardware, but fingers crossed for you it isn't

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 17
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/19/2018 10:38:39 PM   
King Cat

I tried installing it on a buddies computer and its working just fine on his computer. I think it might be a hardware issue as well, he has a GTX 2080 while I have a GTX 1050. I'm assuming there's no way to work around this.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/20/2018 5:56:42 AM   
zakblood

hardware is driver dependent so unless you try a few sets of drivers, older and then work your way back upto the newer ones, for a guess no

(in reply to King Cat)
Post #: 19
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/5/2020 12:48:44 PM   
awenloren

I have the same problem/bug of a blue map in Great Invasions, just like the screenshot in opening post here.

Here is the ageod forum that talks about the problem = (I am unable to post links so) ...

goto = ageod forum
under = Board index Legacy titles Great Invasions GI Technical support
thread = Problem blue map (posted Wed Dec 23, 2009)

This blue map pretty much makes the game unplayable for me.

From reading and i may be incorrect it is because i am using an integrated intel graphics card (HD 2000 or 3000). It seems the developer dissapeared before he could consider patching the game for this problem. I read that dedicated graphics cards by nvidia or amd do not have this problem.

I am not expecting a fix since this game is soo old, just reporting my problem with it. I may have to buy a pc at some point with a dedicated graphics card.

Also this matrixgames forum thread does seem to have some info on a fix and i have not tried that or looked into it, will try at a later date.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: Map is all Blue - 12/5/2020 12:52:16 PM   
awenloren

FYI: I have Windows 7 Professional Sp1, not all of the latest updates.

(in reply to awenloren)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Great Invasions >> Tech Support >> Map is all Blue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI