Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/13/2020 2:01:13 AM   
valkyrion

Hi, hopefully this is the right place to post this. I bought it on the steam release and spent some time watching the Dastactic's youtube tutorials. My biggest issue was on a 34" widescreen the UI and units were just to small for me to see. I did play at the native resolution and enable the magnification, but I still felt like I couldn't zoom in enough to really see the unit counters in detail. Also I found it difficult to read through the text in general. Is there any further options other then lowering the resolution?

< Message edited by valkyrion -- 12/13/2020 2:03:51 AM >

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 31
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/13/2020 3:58:26 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: valkyrion

Hi, hopefully this is the right place to post this. I bought it on the steam release and spent some time watching the Dastactic's youtube tutorials. My biggest issue was on a 34" widescreen the UI and units were just to small for me to see. I did play at the native resolution and enable the magnification, but I still felt like I couldn't zoom in enough to really see the unit counters in detail. Also I found it difficult to read through the text in general. Is there any further options other then lowering the resolution?

I have the same problem with a large monitor.
I've set the resolution as shown in the image below and it is working very nicely for me - the units are plenty big on the most zoomed in level and everything is readable.

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to valkyrion)
Post #: 32
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/13/2020 1:23:54 PM   
Dan1911

Aquifer wells would make more sense then ice mining for water IMHO

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 33
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/13/2020 7:44:17 PM   
Destragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan1911

Aquifer wells would make more sense then ice mining for water IMHO

I've always prefered seeing the ice deposits like "old pre-apocalypse water tanks/reservoirs", because some of these planets just don't have any water/ice, especially lava planets.

(in reply to Dan1911)
Post #: 34
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/15/2020 7:29:28 AM   
KarisFraMauro

My biggest hurdle is definitely understanding what the heck I'm doing. I've watched all the Das Tactics tutorials, and am doing what I can with the 300-plus page manual, but it's clear even Das is frequently perplexed and the manual is not only enormous but muddled.

So keeping in mind the old saying about lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness, tutorial scenarios would be of HUGE assistance. Say just very very simplified examples of different aspects of the game, maybe one focused on building up a city, another on founding a city, another combat oriented, another with a diplomatic focus or what have you. That kind of thing.

As it is when something goes wrong (as is frequently the case) I'm never sure if it's because I'm missing some kind of incredibly opaque and obscure nuance (you can't do x? it's clearly laid out in subsection three of menu tab four on page eight of the reports provided you select option two and it's not a wednesday. Obviously) or an outright bug. And I'm a little hesitant to ask because I'm sure the same question has already been asked countless times...

It's unfortunate because this is definitely a cool game. I just worry people will grab it expecting something like Civilization only to discover they've bitten off a lot more than they can chew. I remember investing in Hearts of Iron 3 when it was on sale because I loved the first two, but there weren't any real instructions and it ended up just gathering dust.

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 35
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/15/2020 8:20:27 PM   
kicktothehead

Please allow us to do something to get rid of militia :)
I have a gazillion milita units all chewing through my food and they can fight an ant!

:)

(in reply to valkyrion)
Post #: 36
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/15/2020 9:15:43 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kicktothehead

Please allow us to do something to get rid of militia :)
I have a gazillion milita units all chewing through my food and they can fight an ant!

:)

Simply use them to explore out past your supply range. )

(in reply to kicktothehead)
Post #: 37
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/15/2020 9:21:29 PM   
Twotribes

Also after 30 turns the militia start to get your regular starting equipment and will upgrade to newer stuff as you progress.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 38
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/16/2020 2:09:46 PM   
kicktothehead

"Simply use them to explore out past your supply range. )"

Haha great idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Also after 30 turns the militia start to get your regular starting equipment and will upgrade to newer stuff as you progress.

this is did not know thank you for the info!

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 39
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 4/15/2021 10:32:48 AM   
Pawsy

An option to save my Empire name, unit colour, icon etc. QOL improvement please.

Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 40
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 7/22/2021 5:00:46 PM   
Ornithocephalus

One of my greatest frustrations in the game, and one that I've heard DasTactic complain about during his playthroughs, is taking reputation hits for failing to achieve leader requests (e.g. raise government score to a specific level) without being given any opportunity do so. It would be nice if the game adjusted the reputation hit based on the opportunities you were give to fulfill (or partially fulfill) each request. Maybe this is coded into the game already. (I have not investigated this.) If so, then nevermind!

Also, it seems to me that if you deny a leader's request there should be a longer cool down (>10 turns, at least, or maybe >10 leader requests might be better) before they, or another leader, are allowed to make the same request. Taking a reputation hit for refusing to accept (or accepting and failing) the same request within a relatively short interval simply stinks. I can see how phenomena might have been designed into the game purposefully to model such political frustrations in the real world, but it certainly detracts from my overall enjoyment of the game, depending on the run.

Thanks.

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 41
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 7/23/2021 11:12:51 AM   
BlueTemplar

Some of the profile changing decisions are more easy to manipulate to get than others.

IIRC DasTactic forgets to mention that he doesn't play with Cults nor Crime nor Corporation, especially the latter of which can give you +Gov basically on demand. He also tends to forget checking what promises he made.

Agree about the repeated demands, maybe more variety of demands is required so that they at least sometimes give you a different option ? (Of course you can always do it artificially by scrapping relevant public assets, but it feels a bit gamey ?)

(in reply to Ornithocephalus)
Post #: 42
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 10/23/2021 2:17:19 AM   
Khanti

I've played 100+ turns in two different games. Version 1.09.
I like the game (as all Vic's games)
I hate logistics in this game. Not the fact of building roads (that's fine) but those stupid supply bases everywhere.
I fight most of the time with my own logistics, not enemy or randomness.
I prefer more battles, techs, building than figuring out HOW this logistics works. Yes, I know it works, but it's just plain waste of time.

Please add option of REALLY EASY LOGISTICS (roads and supply points NOT dependent on distance).
And that supply bases add adm strain on cities

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 43
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 10/24/2021 6:20:42 PM   
Khanti

Another suggestion: there should be politically possible to just bribe faction member to join other faction (the one with more closer values to empire's politics). It's a pity to loose them because of opposite points of view (dislikes+++ of empires' values).

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 44
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 10/26/2021 1:59:30 AM   
Teyren

Good suggestion, it could take into account their Egoism and Authority score to determine how susceptible they are to it. Perhaps there would be different paths to approaching it as well, such as just bribes, but also by threat.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 45
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 11/10/2021 4:33:38 PM   
Khanti

It takes TOO long to close assets. Especially rebuilding rails from standard to high speed is stupid. Yon need to close station level X (many turns!) and start building high speed station (many turns). Completely unprofitable for 10+ turns. It can destroy whole supply system if it's done in capital.
---
Ammo usage is too high. It's not sensible that 75% of metal/industry production is needed for ammo for war against 1 major regime. All other fronts are silent.
---
Military statistics of major regimes could contain changes from last turn. Something like "tank type Leopard" 400 [-40 from last turn] or 400/440 [this turn/last turn].
---
When buying replacement troops /produce replacement troops/ the table does not automatically go up and you must scroll or move side button to the top ALWAYS. So it's cumbersome.
---
There is not possible to scroll city list (left panel). When you have many - it's cumbersome to use that panel to go down the list. You need to lower main down panel first.

< Message edited by Khanti -- 11/17/2021 8:24:35 AM >

(in reply to Teyren)
Post #: 46
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 11/29/2021 9:37:05 AM   
PukeSkyhocker

Things that I wish the game had:

1) A back button would be nice instead of having to start over completely if you pick a wrong option during planet generation and faction generation.

2) More control over the planet creation in general as the random rolls is kinda bleh. Rather just have the option to decide myself what game I want to play.

3) The ability to save the faction you create so you dont have to enter it every time you start a new game, Or better yet the ability to save all the planetary and factions settings so I can just start another random game under those same parameters instead of having to enter them again.

4) Want more control over formations models. I.e the ability to delete ones I dont use instead of stacking up pages and pages of useless formations to scroll through to try and find the one you want to create. (really a big problem later game)

5) Same thing above but in regards to unit models because sometime you screw up but the unit model cant be removed.

6) Need back buttons and or better control on all the create and design screens as if you screw up you have no choice but to create the formation, unit design is a little better but you have to constantly pick equipment and go back to be sure it isnt too heavy for the engine, fuel, etc. This is true for land and air.

7) Some menus have scroll bars but no mouse scroll and that would be nice to have but a small thing.

8) The ability to call governors from a central screen instead of having to find city on map. Not a problem under 4 or 5 cities but once you get a bunch you have to hunt down problems with city settings and its annoying to keep track of.

Those are my main wishes and gripes but you should know you made a fantastic game. For me this game is WAY better than ALL the HOI ive played. Those game felt like they were on rails in too many ways. Everyone of my shadow empire games was different than the last. Amazing work Vic!

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 47
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 11/29/2021 6:33:28 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

PukeSkyhocker,

I like your ideas. I have a few comments.

2) Yes, this would be very nice.

3) YES! This would make me very happy and allow me to have the same symbol on my heraldry each time.

5) I am not against this idea but have you tried obsoleting the models you don't want to use again? This seems to keep them from getting in the way when creating new formations.

6) I like this as well but would refine it a little. I would like for normal units to have the same 'ending' as aircraft where you have the ability to reject this design and start over but the last set of choices you made have asterisks by them.

7) SPOT ON! Especially the reports tab where I have to click on the tiny scroll bar to see my construction report.

8) Have you tried accessing the governors from the Management tab (top, leftish), leaders? IIRC you can filter this for governors and click on the portrait to get to a 'call' button.

I would add as a suggestion for the 'confirm' button to be on two places on every screen. At the top as well as at the bottom. The first knuckle on my index finger sometimes gets sore from all of the scrolling.

I would like to see two more 'zoom' levels. One inserted between the closest and the middle. One inserted between the middle and the furthest.

I would like to be able to set hotkeys to center the map on a particular hex. This will make life a little easier when fighting in several areas. It will also help when jumping to cities.

I would like to see a new overlay (on the vertical bar on the right) that shows regime ownership on the map in more saturated colors.

I would like for the zone borders to be more obvious when using the hex grid. I sometimes have to turn the hex grid off in order to see the borders easily.

Now for a couple of FAR OUT possibilities...

1) The ability to rearrange the order reports are shown on the vertical selection bar on the reports tab. There are times when I am checking certain reports every turn and ignoring others. Moving them nearer to the top would reduce scrolling

2) A way to remind myself that I need to pay special attention to something. This would be useful to remind yourself that you need to redesign your infantry model when the current model design is completed, etc.
--- I see it working like this:
--- On certain screens (reports, leaders, and model details comes to mind at present) there would be a button labeled 'remind me' or 'attend to'.
--- When this button is pressed, the next turn a reminder ('Check such and such ') would display as an 'advice'.
--- The advice screen would have an additional button saying 'next turn' that would 'dismiss' the advice without dismissing it (i.e. it would show up again next turn).

In fact the 'next turn' button might be useful for the current advice messages. I find myself so invested in one part of the game that I forget to manage other things for a few turns.

This is a very enjoyable and addictive game. I am enjoying the depth of the interrelations between leaders, worker happiness, etc. Since I picked this up a month or so ago, I haven't spent much (if any) time with any other games. Thank you Vic! This is a gem!

From one programmer to another - GREAT JOB!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to PukeSkyhocker)
Post #: 48
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 11/30/2021 8:19:21 PM   
Magura

Terraforming would be really cool.

1. Drill to aquifer would be nice.
2. Make mountains to alter rainfall patterns.
3. Hydro-Electric dams would be cool.
4. I think these Major Regimes would eventually unlock the secrets of the GR's terraforming process and it wouldn't be beyond their ability to create a more earth-like atmosphere. I don't think an atmosphere-less planetoid would be terraformed in the games time scope TBH (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no scientist) but, the planet I'm playing on right now has an oxygen and nitrogen mix, the composition is slightly different from earth-like, so we have to wear breather masks, but surely a small change to the atmosphere composition would be do-able. However this would equate to genocide of native animals, humanoids and plant life so.... I don't know. Just throwing a fun concept out there. If that were to be implemented I could see a coalition faction rising up from forces literally facing extinction, it's possible these natives would band together using native xeno-cavalry and captured Major Regime equipment, thus creating a new deadly mid-game or late-game native/Minor Regime threat.
5. Alternatively, this could be used as a weapon to send the whole planet into an environmental freefall, or at least bring desertification to your cold war neighbor.

Raiders/natives are fun but lack..... depth?

1. Raiders/natives should fight each other. In my current game I was surrounded by 3 hostile raider factions (with cities that have 100k-200k+ population compared to my 38k population city), I've spent 120 turns under siege in my mega city ruins, but it can be winnable. The thing that struck me as odd was, these are raiders, why are they not fighting each other and the natives? Sure if my empire was threatening all of their cities at once they might band together. But, spending decades sieging a low-population city, working together in harmony with different raider regimes wouldn't make much sense. I would think by the first decade of siege something would have happened that caused them to... raid each other??? Maybe fight the natives that are closer to their cities than my forces that are 10+ tiles away? This could cure the "cursed RNG start", or at least make it playable without spending 120 turns under siege and then finally meet your first major who is rolling fast towards your borders with way more advanced tech due to their better start position. Not gonna lie though, this playthrough has been seriously fun not knowing if I'm actually gonna survive let alone win the game.
2. After you get Combat Armor and Automatic Rifles, Raiders/Natives are no longer a threat, more of an annoyance (with the exception of planets that generate 100 meter-tall Titans lmao). You would think after 25 years in-game the new generation of raiders would adapt to the new reality of the planet. Captured guns and armor would be worn by heavy infantry, captured artillery and tanks would be easy to operate after trial and error. Maybe a really successful Raider Warband that has captured old GR equipment just like you did? I think aircraft, railguns, and energy weapons would be beyond their ability and industrial capacity to maintain though. I like the idea of Raider regimes banding together if they are close together and being threatened by a Major Regime, maybe after a decade of government building they transform into a military dictatorship Major Regime? Or they could stay as a unique Raider/Freefolk Union Minor Regime?
3. Raiders should be able to capture equipment when they destroy your units. (Maybe a strategem could be implemented specifically for clearing raiders so all equipment can be destroyed on retreat for a negative attack modifier?)
4. We should be able to capture native cavalry and fill them with stimulants and cybernetic enhancements if technology permits. Since they are native they require less supply. However, Raiders will catch onto this and after so much equipment captured they produce these beasts in greater numbers (they have more supply of them) without the cybernetic enhancements. Just imagine a border ranger, mounted on a mad Arachnid with hydraulic jaws, riding into battle. This could create an entirely new class of units that mix your tech upgrades with native lifeform bonuses (jumper cavalry being great at mega-city ruins combat.) I have no idea how this would scale with some of the game's generated creatures, like you would need a swimming pool full of chemicals to subdue one of those huge Titan lifeforms.
5. Native Awakening, if natives are capable of standing on your border and shouting at you until you figure out their language, its entirely possible they steal some radios, talk to other native tribes, and start to create a new parallel society/culture to the humans on planet. Maybe they love genocidal violence as much as some humans, maybe they just want to defend their territory and develop their society, maybe its a mix, leave it to the RNG gods?
6. I haven't seen a single native/raider air unit. Raiders I understand but, maybe they develop dirigibles or recon/battle balloons on planets whose atmosphere permits it? Native flying units would be cool, as either pests that try to eat your units, or native air cavalry, again if atmosphere permits.

It would be really cool if you could see some of the events that occur post-Dissolution War, happen in real time. For example, unmanned spaceship crashes into tile, unstable nuclear reactor goes off in the wild, alien natives embark on a crusade, plague. Very low chance to occur as these things took decades or centuries to happen according to the planet generation screen. Unmanned spaceship crashing opens lots of possibilities by itself, is it really unmanned? Is it alien in origin (Remember aliens were definitely present at the edge of GR space)? Did it carry a bio-weapon? Is this some wanna-be GR successor state trying to annex your planet?

Sorry if these ideas have been all over the place and totally unfeasible. This game really stimulates the imagination.

And as always great job Vic, your creating something really special and unique, thank you so much for making games.

< Message edited by Magura -- 11/30/2021 11:11:04 PM >

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 49
RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback - 12/18/2021 4:16:57 PM   
KingHalford

I'd really like to see a researchable cloning asset. It'd have to be pretty far down the tech-tree, and expensive to run, but it'd allow the player to grow sparsely populated planets towards the end of the game. That might also help the AI grow it's territory better in those last stages.

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Shadow Empire Suggestions and Feedback Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI