Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 5:24:25 PM   
Encircled

Basically this

I've nothing that stands up to them, or am I just doing it wrong?

Or better not to go up at all and let my flak defend my bases?

Post #: 1
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 6:04:11 PM   
PaxMondo

Pax

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 2
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 6:46:06 PM   
821Bobo

Suffering from this now too(though already in 7/43, Jugs made the situation little better). What did work to some extend for me was bringing superior numbers into the fight. While CAP got usually slaughtered anyway, so have been the Japan bombers.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 6:53:01 PM   
Encircled

Yeah, numbers seem to be the way to do it and the George service rating in bases without rail should have an effect

But I'm a long way off Jugs!

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 4
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 6:58:18 PM   
821Bobo

P-47 production starts 7/43 however in April or May(DBB scn, not sure with stock) you get 2 or 3 groups in advance. And one group patrolling above the poor P-39/40 can help.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 5
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 7:23:06 PM   
Leandros

What about the experience status of your fighter pilots?

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 6
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 7:34:02 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Basically this

I've nothing that stands up to them, or am I just doing it wrong?

Or better not to go up at all and let my flak defend my bases?

Do you need to stand up to them?

If so, what with? What planes, what's the speed differential, MVR bands, altitude, radar, pilot experience...

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 7
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 8:07:32 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

If so, what with? What planes, what's the speed differential, MVR bands, altitude, radar, pilot experience...

Agreed a lot of variables unanswered.

Where ? Burma ? Pacific Islands ?

With what ? Jugs are mentioned - what about Spitfires ? Which Mark do you have available?

Range setting ? 0 ? 1 ?

Tiered Cap ? Put the Hellcats lower than the Jugs? The Hurries lower than the Spits ? (although I read on AAR some time ago that actually put the Spits on the floor and the Hurries up top based on maneuver bands and the writer attested better results ! I am not certain about this)

Pilot Experience ? I assume those Georges are stacked with the best of the best - do you have 70+ experience at hand ?

I think there are indeed valid and good tactics to counter but it is situational.

Perhaps in China proper - with few American airframes and a nescient 14th Airforce - there may be no answer - but in other locations / situations there probably is depending upon your airframe losses previously - upgrades available - pilot experience.

FLAK assets will certainly help

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 8
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 8:17:34 PM   
Encircled

Sorry, was a quick post on my phone!

Its April 1943

So its P-40K, E, Aircobras mainly

Pilot experience is good (70+)

TBF, in the three really big sweeps so far, he's had far more than me, so numbers alone would count massively against me.

But in all of them, I had my fighters at their best maneuverable band

I take it layered CAP, every plane at its best band and a lot is the way forward?

I have tended not to bother with CAP in Burma, but a load of Georges appeared in SWPAC, so just looking to see if there is more I can do

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 9
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 9:01:48 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Its April 1943

So all three of which are generally inferior airframes to the George, so you're already sailing into the wind a little.

quote:

That's good, but what about the defence skill? That's the key role in my view against sweeps, as it tends to turn high altitude sweeps into furballs (where the defending side can even the score) which tend to generate equal exchanges.

quote:

TBF, in the three really big sweeps so far, he's had far more than me, so numbers alone would count massively against me.

So there's that. 25 planes will be whooped by 45 planes nine times out of ten. Quantity has a quality of its own etc.

quote:

I take it layered CAP, every plane at its best band and a lot is the way forward?

I have tended not to bother with CAP in Burma, but a load of Georges appeared in SWPAC, so just looking to see if there is more I can do

That's good, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Deploying individual squadrons at their optimum altitude doesn't mean that your whole force is deployed optimally. Airacobra's at 5k are not going to be helpful to the P40K's at 20k.

Try stacking everyone between 1-5k. You've got nothing that can dependably get the bounce on George's sweeping from 30k or higher, so why bother playing the altitude game? Make them come fight you down in the weeds.

Sure, you'll take a hit from the bounce, but the bounce doesn't last forever. At that low altitude, you'll enable the other planes from your CAP to climb above the fight and dive on the Georges in turn. With such close altitude bands, all your CAP will be mutually supporting, and you're still flying CAP at a high enough altitude that any IJ bomber raids should get shredded (provided you've radar for the warning).

You won't completely reverse the trend, as it will still be a sweep with a superior airframe and a tactical advantage, but you will eek things out into a more equal exchange.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 10
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 9:07:53 PM   
Encircled

quote:

quote:

Its April 1943

So all three of which are generally inferior airframes to the George, so you're already sailing into the wind a little.

quote:

That's good, but what about the defence skill? That's the key role in my view against sweeps, as it tends to turn high altitude sweeps into furballs (where the defending side can even the score) which tend to generate equal exchanges.

quote:

So there's that. 25 planes will be whooped by 45 planes nine times out of ten. Quantity has a quality of its own etc.

quote:

Deploying individual squadrons at their optimum altitude doesn't mean that your whole force is deployed optimally. Airacobra's at 5k are not going to be helpful to the P40K's at 20k.

Try stacking everyone between 1-5k. You've got nothing that can dependably get the bounce on George's sweeping from 30k or higher, so why bother playing the altitude game? Make them come fight you down in the weeds.

Sure, you'll take a hit from the bounce, but the bounce doesn't last forever. At that low altitude, you'll enable the other planes from your CAP to climb above the fight and dive on the Georges in turn. With such close altitude bands, all your CAP will be mutually supporting, and you're still flying CAP at a high enough altitude that any IJ bomber raids should get shredded (provided you've radar for the warning).

You won't completely reverse the trend, as it will still be a sweep with a superior airframe and a tactical advantage, but you will eek things out into a more equal exchange.

Yup, know I have inferior planes. I have some Corsairs and some Aussie Spits, but not enough of them

Defence skills are all 70 +, I really, really, really train my pilots!

Cheers for the advice

Post #: 11
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 9:19:57 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its April 1943

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup, know I have inferior planes. I have some Corsairs and some Aussie Spits, but not enough of them

Cheers for the advice

It's not all in the planes (though they do help a great deal!). I've had some great results facing Thuds with some real chaff (Nicks, Oscars) mixed in with the sharks. That's fine for Japan as you can leverage production to keep up an attrition war.

Less so for the Allies, but you can really lean on flak as the Allies in a much heavier way than you can as Japan, which means you can concentrate your fighters much more densely. In short, if you're facing serious opposition and you can't put a 100+ plane CAP up, don't bother and lean on flak till you can.

I'd also thing about this problem from an offensive mindset as well. George is a good plane, but the first model is SR 3 - not great, not terrible, but a night-time, low altitude 4E raid on their home airbase either before or following a sweep will keep them down, and the best place to destroy any plane is on the ground.

In the context of SWPAC, I'd also consider using a couple task forces of destroyers (and maybe a CL or three) on bombardment runs where possible. 5 and 6 inch naval gunfire won't cause the big holes you'd get from battleships, but it will certainly make it a nuisance to keep up offensive operations.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 12
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 9:35:15 PM   
Encircled

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its April 1943

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers for the advice

It's not all in the planes (though they do help a great deal!). I've had some great results facing Thuds with some real chaff (Nicks, Oscars) mixed in with the sharks. That's fine for Japan as you can leverage production to keep up an attrition war.

Less so for the Allies, but you can really lean on flak as the Allies in a much heavier way than you can as Japan, which means you can concentrate your fighters much more densely. In short, if you're facing serious opposition and you can't put a 100+ plane CAP up, don't bother and lean on flak till you can.

I'd also thing about this problem from an offensive mindset as well. George is a good plane, but the first model is SR 3 - not great, not terrible, but a night-time, low altitude 4E raid on their home airbase either before or following a sweep will keep them down, and the best place to destroy any plane is on the ground.

In the context of SWPAC, I'd also consider using a couple task forces of destroyers (and maybe a CL or three) on bombardment runs where possible. 5 and 6 inch naval gunfire won't cause the big holes you'd get from battleships, but it will certainly make it a nuisance to keep up offensive operations.

Night bombing check!

Bombardments are trickier but Fletchers are coming on line, and they give me a bit more range, so will be using them a lot more I think

Post #: 13
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 10:17:55 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its April 1943

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers for the advice

Night bombing check!

Bombardments are trickier but Fletchers are coming on line, and they give me a bit more range, so will be using them a lot more I think

The Fletchers are good, as the speed makes in and out a breeze, but I would be fairly comfortable with getting DD's caught in daylight, within reason. They've an annoying habit of dodging bombs from everything but crack IJ dive bomber squadrons, and even then it's a challenge! Throw some LRCAP over them and you get to harvest a nice crop of IJ pilots too!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 14
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 10:23:44 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

So the sweepers come down to the CAP altitude?

I always thought CAP always went to intercept at the altitude of the incoming raiders? Whether they were sweepers or bombers.

Post #: 15
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/14/2020 10:41:08 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

quote:

So the sweepers come down to the CAP altitude?

I always thought CAP always went to intercept at the altitude of the incoming raiders? Whether they were sweepers or bombers.

Combat altitude is not fixed.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2324341&mpage=1&key=speed%26%2365533%3B

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 16
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/15/2020 2:17:58 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

Combat altitude is not fixed.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2324341&mpage=1&key=speed%26%2365533%3B

Thanks for this sir !

I had read and have known about the low CAP counter tactic - though not in so much detail.

I think I finally better understand the concept I related above from reading a very old AAR....<< I mentioned a read a very old AAR where the Allied player stacked the Hurries on top of the Spits which seemed counter intuitive to me - but said the results were better. This is all by memory >>

What I probably failed to realize (at the time) was that it was a low CAP counter tactic... and it does make sense as the Spits have better maneuver ratings at lower altitudes as I recall from memory. It could still be anecdotal evidence but I do have a better understanding.

I think my superficial understanding was to always stack the better plane on top of a tiered CAP (any level) by default. Perhaps - but now I have to consider relative experience better - maneuver bands - and high verse low strategies for IJN sweeps.

Now you have gone and made me re-think how I will stack my CAPs in all my games Thanks for the extra nuance and work ! LOL

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 12/15/2020 2:20:47 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Post #: 17
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/15/2020 3:15:47 PM   
RangerJoe

Another reason for the low CAP is that fighters from the base can take off and play as well.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 18
RE: DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 - 12/16/2020 12:46:41 AM   
spence

I'm Allies in Sept 44 and my opponent formerly had some success attacking bombers at relatively low altitude (the bombers at 1000 to 4000 ft) even though I sent in (in many cases) multiple sweeps at high altitude (30K+) which seemingly never found a thing. Sending in the sweeps at 10000 to 20000 ft seems to have resulted in many George and Frank casualties sine those a/c had been set to LRCAP at 10000 ft or less. It would seem that sweeps come down to play at the altitude that the CAP is set BUT better guess right or the other guy gets the bounce.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> DEaling with George Sweeps Apr 1943 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI