Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italian mobilization

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Italian mobilization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 1:25:50 AM   
mdsmall

Hi - I am starting a new PBEM game, playing Axis against an experienced opponent. At the end of turn 2, Italian mobilization suddenly shot up from 65% to 92% and there was a script saying "Italy mobilizes in responses to threat of Allied invasion". I have just finished my turn 3 (October 3, 1939) and the same script appeared. Italy is now at 98% mobilization. Yet apart from one half strength French corps in Monaco, there are no French or British units visible on the borders of Italy. My opponent might be planning something, but it is not apparent to me what the Allied threat is. In previous games I have played (on both sides), Italy usually does not reach full mobilization until after the German invasion of France is well underway. The only thing I can see which might have triggered this early mobilization by Italy is that the French have invaded a few hexes into western Germany while the Germans were busy crushing Poland.

Any suggestions as to what would have triggered this extra fast mobilization by Italy? If other players have seen this play out, what should I watch out for as the Axis player over the next few turns? The arrival of the Afrika Corps is more than a year away.....

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 12/20/2020 1:27:59 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 2:26:56 AM   
taffjones

It is linked to the number of Allied ships close to Italy and or any Allied Amp transports close to Italy.

I can't remember the exact change in the latest update, I think it has been discussed in the WaW forum.

It's not the best change implemented as it means the Allied player can force Italy to enter the war to early when it is really vulnerable and you will most likely lose NA very quickly as the British units spawn in Egypt when Italy joins the war.

I haven't played WiE since WaW came out, but have had this done to me in PBEM games in WaW.

I suggest you make a fortress Italy, as you are likely going to lose both the Italian fleet and NA territories

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 2:39:24 AM   
mdsmall

I'm glad I asked. The following, copied from the noted on the latest update to WiE must be what you are referring to:

"Mobilization_2 script for Italy amended so they now have a 33% chance per turn of swinging 15-25% towards the Axis if there are 2 Allied Amphibious Transports within 30 hexes of Syracuse Port, or 7 or more Allied naval units within 18 hexes of Syracuse Port (OldCrowBalthazor)."

I can see how the Italian army NA would be very vulnerable once the British units spawn there. But if I keep the Italian fleet in port, why would it be particularly vulnerable?

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 3
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 3:29:03 AM   
Gilber

The problem may come from the French fleet, which the experienced Allied player is always willing to sacrifice since it will not be able to survive the surrender of France.

Gilles

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 4
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 5:11:16 PM   
sad ham

Mobilization_2 script for Italy amended so they now have a 33% chance per turn of swinging 15-25% towards the Axis if there are 2 Allied Amphibious Transports within 30 hexes of Syracuse Port, or 7 or more Allied naval units within 18 hexes of Syracuse Port.

(in reply to Gilber)
Post #: 5
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 6:27:09 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

It is linked to the number of Allied ships close to Italy and or any Allied Amp transports close to Italy.

I can't remember the exact change in the latest update, I think it has been discussed in the WaW forum.

It's not the best change implemented as it means the Allied player can force Italy to enter the war to early when it is really vulnerable and you will most likely lose NA very quickly as the British units spawn in Egypt when Italy joins the war.

I haven't played WiE since WaW came out, but have had this done to me in PBEM games in WaW.

I suggest you make a fortress Italy, as you are likely going to lose both the Italian fleet and NA territories

Oh dang had not thought of this yuck

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 6
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 8:13:38 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

I can see how the Italian army NA would be very vulnerable once the British units spawn there. But if I keep the Italian fleet in port, why would it be particularly vulnerable?

It depends on the ports. Anywhere in southern Italy is at risk of Britain sending a sub to spot a unit then 3 carriers bombing you - which at strength 8 can be a one-turn kill. Only the northern Adriatic is relatively safe (Allied players will be loath to send carriers up there because of the risk of getting trapped( Of course at sea you run the same risks, it's just less obvious where your fleet can be found.

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 7
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 8:15:09 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

I agree this isn't the best change. It's meant to penalise hyperagressive play against Italy, ends up rewarding it...

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 8
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/20/2020 9:45:51 PM   
mdsmall

Good advice about protecting the Italian fleet. In my game, I am not even sure that my opponent intended to trigger an early Italian mobilization (since the trigger was changed just a week ago). It is not hard for the Allies to have 7 naval units within 18 hexes of Syracuse, given that the British start with two naval units in Malta and four more in the eastern Med and the Red Sea. All it takes now if for a couple of units from the French Mediterranean fleet to scout the Italian coast and to have the British fleet around Malta and this mobilization swing can be triggered.

On a related note, the Strategy Guide says that additional British units (half strength field artillery, reconnaissance, anti-tank, tactical bomber and fighter) will mobilize in late 1940 if "Alexandria is threatened". Does anyone know more precisely what is the trigger for spawning these additional units?

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 12/21/2020 1:58:47 AM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 9
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/21/2020 12:59:33 PM   
BillRunacre

They will deploy from January 1940 if there is an Axis unit within 7 hexes of 204,125.

If the Axis don't trigger their deployment then they will automatically deploy on the 1st February 1941.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 10
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/22/2020 4:08:26 AM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill - many thanks for that precise info. The hex you mentioned is El Alamein, which is seven hexes from the Egypt/ Libya border. So, if you want to avoid triggering those British units before February 1, 1941, the answer is, don't cross that line!

Cheers,

Michael

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 11
RE: Italian mobilization - 12/22/2020 10:02:22 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Hi Bill - many thanks for that precise info. The hex you mentioned is El Alamein, which is seven hexes from the Egypt/ Libya border. So, if you want to avoid triggering those British units before February 1, 1941, the answer is, don't cross that line!

Cheers,

Michael

Yeah, but Mersa Matruh is so tempting for the Italians

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Italian mobilization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI