Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 7:04:46 PM   
Nemesis30

Anyone have a starting save game file or link for Kull's great Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE they could post? Save a bunch of time.....
Post #: 1
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 8:04:29 PM   
Randy Stead

Ooh, sounds like a great request. I am just learning the game and planning to use it as a starting point. On the other hand, I think I should stick to my plan of using it as a means of familiarizing myself with the various game concepts which I must master, such as TF formation, convoys, etc.

(in reply to Nemesis30)
Post #: 2
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 9:00:49 PM   
Kull

The whole point is to go through the process, so you learn enough of the workings of the game that you can lean into "Turn 3" with some idea of what to do next, and - more importantly - how to do it.

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 3
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 9:22:43 PM   
Randy Stead

Thanks, Kull. Gamers like yourself who share their work are the salt of the gaming world's earth. I think it has somewhat to do with the fact that many of us to whom this type of game appeals are mature in character, if not in age. I have briefly hung out in past years on game sites that were populated by a lot of "youngsters" and found the atmosphere generally off-putting. Flame wars, insults, sarcasm, etc. I'm not a fan of real time or fast thumb games, preferring games that require more intellect than reflex. I do feel at home here at Matrix.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 4
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 9:48:09 PM   
RangerJoe

Just remember, you are only young once but you can stay immature indefinitely!

It is better to read then do, then to have someone else do and then you are still lost. Plus you might decide to make some changes to suit your style based upon what you have read and know. Plus, making a few minor changes may upset an opponent who has also read the spreadsheet.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 5
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/20/2020 9:52:50 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

Thanks, Kull. Gamers like yourself who share their work are the salt of the gaming world's earth. I think it has somewhat to do with the fact that many of us to whom this type of game appeals are mature in character, if not in age. I have briefly hung out in past years on game sites that were populated by a lot of "youngsters" and found the atmosphere generally off-putting. Flame wars, insults, sarcasm, etc. I'm not a fan of real time or fast thumb games, preferring games that require more intellect than reflex. I do feel at home here at Matrix.

I'm reminded of the scene from Dr Strangelove -

< Message edited by Ian R -- 12/20/2020 9:53:12 PM >

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 6
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 12:14:30 AM   
Randy Stead

George C. Scott: He'll see the big board!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 1:22:43 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull
The whole point is to go through the process, so you learn enough of the workings of the game that you can lean into "Turn 3" with some idea of what to do next, and - more importantly - how to do it.

Hear! Hear!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 8
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 3:03:44 AM   
Randy Stead

Oh, yes, I definitely intend to follow Kull's spreadsheet so as to get my hands dirty. I am a bookish person who loves to read manuals and such, but at some point you have to stop thinking and start doing. I expect I shall be up late again tonight, reading the manual. SHE will not yell at me tonight about the light being on as she has already retired to a spare bedroom. We are empty nesters now, our three kids have moved on and we have two spare rooms. Tomorrow, unless distracted by other concerns, I intend to start in on the turn 1 instructions and get on with it.

Cheers to all for great advice and encouragment.

< Message edited by Randy Stead -- 12/21/2020 3:04:11 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 9
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 3:31:31 AM   
rustysi

quote:

SHE will not yell at me tonight about the light being on as she has already retired to a spare bedroom.

Not a good start.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 10
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 3:36:21 AM   
BBfanboy

If you really want to stay with her, set aside some time each day and at least one day each week to be with her and do what she wants you to do. If she gets feeling ignored, it's over.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 11
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 1:45:43 PM   
streetsahead1985

It's a great spreadsheet and I look forward to the hour that I get to make progress with it each night. I'm still a beginner, so forgive me if this question is silly: certain TF are sent to a destination and use a waypoint along the way. Is there an easier way to find a certain hex (ex. 154, 165) without clicking around until you find it, remembering where it was then clicking it as a waypoint? In later Grigsby titles the hex location is displayed just by hovering over it, but as far as I can tell there's no easy way.

Thanks again. This game is incredible and the spreadsheet and smaller scenarios help me wrap my head around mechanics that didn't click from reading the manual.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 2:17:26 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: streetsahead1985

... certain TF are sent to a destination and use a waypoint along the way. Is there an easier way to find a certain hex (ex. 154, 165) without clicking around until you find it, remembering where it was then clicking it as a waypoint? In later Grigsby titles the hex location is displayed just by hovering over it, but as far as I can tell there's no easy way.

If the waypoint is a hex with a base, you can bring up the Base list (short cut key "B") and sort by hex coordinates. Even if the waypoint is not a base hex, you will know what are the closest bases to the waypoint.

Alfred

(in reply to streetsahead1985)
Post #: 13
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 2:38:55 PM   
streetsahead1985

Thanks, Alfred. Should make it easier.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/21/2020 3:13:12 PM   
Nemesis30

Well thanks anyway. I had created a start file a while back then changed PCs and lost it. So I have a good understanding of how to play just wanted to jump back in instead of starting from scratch.
Thanks again Kull, your work got me to where I could actually play this great game and enjoy it.

(in reply to streetsahead1985)
Post #: 15
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 12:42:44 PM   
Randy Stead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemesis30

Well thanks anyway. I had created a start file a while back then changed PCs and lost it. So I have a good understanding of how to play just wanted to jump back in instead of starting from scratch.
Thanks again Kull, your work got me to where I could actually play this great game and enjoy it.

I'm just about to begin my first game and plan to use Kull's first turn suggestions. I guess it would be possible to save this first turn and put it somewhere safe, so that in future I could just go back to it when I start another game?

I managed yesterday to get through the manual. I've printed off a few game charts and such that others have contributed and I got out a little folding table on which to place my notebook computer. It will have Kull's Excel spreadsheet displayed. But first, I have to head to the galley for breakfast. I don't want to be like that B-17 pilot landing at Pearl in Tora! Tora! Tora!: What a way to start a war, unarmed and out of gas!

(in reply to Nemesis30)
Post #: 16
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 2:06:27 PM   
Randy Stead

One last question. Can you use Kull's 1st turn with the "Quiet China" option? I'd like to try playing without having to manage the China theater as well as CW and US. I'm also thinking of using "auto subs" to remove one more layer of complexity. Thoughts?

< Message edited by Randy Stead -- 12/22/2020 2:18:13 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 4:18:01 PM   
Kull

NEVER use the "Quiet China" scenario. Unlike every other scenario, it has not been updated since the game was first released. Jam packed with database errors and a more feeble AI, to boot.

Post #: 18
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 4:19:12 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

One last question. Can you use Kull's 1st turn with the "Quiet China" option? I'd like to try playing without having to manage the China theater as well as CW and US. I'm also thinking of using "auto subs" to remove one more layer of complexity. Thoughts?

NEVER, EVER use auto-subs. The AI does not deploy them properly to get results. It is quite random. Once you set your sub patrols, they operate for many turns without intervention and will even return to port to replenish fuel and ammo as required. However, if they are damaged significantly and automatically disband to fix damage, you will need to give them new orders. Some types of damage might not be repairable at their home base.

The other thing to watch early on is loss of the home base, which leaves the subs using it orphaned. You can quickly go through the subs and reset to a new home port. And at least once a month you should review your sub deployments in view of changes of the war and results achieved.

Kull's spreadsheet should work for Quiet China too. That scenario limits the number of target bases for the Japanese AI to take in China and separation of troops by one empty hex should stop all pursuit activities.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 19
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 8:40:03 PM   
Randy Stead

Good info, thanks, guys.

One other question. I started with the little island off the coast of Africa, then began doing the Alaska units. On one of them it details setting up the patrol plane arcs, but it does not specify clockwise or counter-clockwise. I opted for setting the arcs clockwise. As for the rest of such entries I might make, should I start the arcs clockwise, or ccw. Also, if you don't specify arcs, what will planes set to search do?

Anyway, I didn't get too far in, the usual distractions at home. I shall restart with auto-subs turned off, quiet China turned off.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 9:22:39 PM   
RangerJoe

I don't worry about the search arcs.

Go to your save folder, simply copy and past the files somewhere else. You may want to save at several points along the way.

― Julia Child

Post #: 21
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 9:38:38 PM   
Randy Stead

No need to set the arcs? So, the AI tells the crews where to fly, how far to fly? I know there is a lot of micromanagement involved, so not having to set arcs helps. What about ranges, do you set those as well?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 9:41:30 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, set the ranges but usually not to the maximum. Somebody, I do not remember exactly who, had stated that at over 12 hexes even with enough aircraft that you do not get complete coverage. Also, one search aircraft sees everything within 4 hexes.

― Julia Child

Post #: 23
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/22/2020 10:10:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Yes, set the ranges but usually not to the maximum. Somebody, I do not remember exactly who, had stated that at over 12 hexes even with enough aircraft that you do not get complete coverage. Also, one search aircraft sees everything within 4 hexes.

Well, it searches the four hex area around the airbase, but may or may not see everything enemy in that area.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 24
RE: Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file - 12/25/2020 4:24:30 PM   
Nemesis30

Thanks for the handoff Bob. Saved me a lot of time.

Merry Christmas

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Kulls Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Save Game file Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI