Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to Scale a Scenario Properly?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to Scale a Scenario Properly? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to Scale a Scenario Properly? - 12/22/2020 6:17:55 PM   
Zovs

How is the best way to scale a scenario?

I have a real world map size of 33 km per hex, but TOAW only allows 20, 25 or 50.

I'd rather use 25 km per hex, but how do I scale in or out those 8 missing kilometers for movement and combat?

Suggestions?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Post #: 1
RE: How to Scale a Scenario Properly? - 12/22/2020 10:16:37 PM   
Raindem

Normally, you would first decide what scale you want the scenario to be at. Then obtain a map that covers the intended play area. Then use one of the existing utilities to lay a grid of the appropriate size on your map. Finally, you transpose the map to your scenario via the TOAW map editor.

But if your reference map already has a hex grid (perhaps from an old wargame?) you can pick the 25km scale and then adjust the TOAW scalars (movement, supply, combat, etc) to fit the 33km scale. You'll have to increase stuff by 25%. For example, if the default movement scalar is 100, you would set it to 125. This will effectively create a scenario at a 33km scale.

If you want to keep it at 25km you'll have to lay down a new grid and then just ignore the original printed grid lines when you make your map.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 2
RE: How to Scale a Scenario Properly? - 12/22/2020 11:26:10 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem
Normally, you would first decide what scale you want the scenario to be at.

Before deciding on the map scale, recommend that you first select the action/battle you want to model and the the primary unit size. These factors tend to define the hex scale.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 3
RE: How to Scale a Scenario Properly? - 12/23/2020 12:40:18 AM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

Normally, you would first decide what scale you want the scenario to be at. Then obtain a map that covers the intended play area. Then use one of the existing utilities to lay a grid of the appropriate size on your map. Finally, you transpose the map to your scenario via the TOAW map editor.

But if your reference map already has a hex grid (perhaps from an old wargame?) you can pick the 25km scale and then adjust the TOAW scalars (movement, supply, combat, etc) to fit the 33km scale. You'll have to increase stuff by 25%. For example, if the default movement scalar is 100, you would set it to 125. This will effectively create a scenario at a 33km scale.

If you want to keep it at 25km you'll have to lay down a new grid and then just ignore the original printed grid lines when you make your map.

Thank you! That is excellent advise and just what I was looking for.

Many thanks.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 4
RE: How to Scale a Scenario Properly? - 12/23/2020 2:38:32 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Don't forget to adjust artillery/aircraft ranges accordingly. Also, Supply and Readiness costs of movement need adjustment. Hex conversion cost too. Density penalty as well.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> How to Scale a Scenario Properly? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI