Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desktop showing up behind boxes in game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Desktop showing up behind boxes in game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 2:00:14 PM   
Fr33andcl34r

I haven't played in a few years, but I didn't have the issue beforehand. Game appears normally until I mouseover anything giving me an info box. When I move the mouse away, the info box turns into that area of my desktop. Moving the map makes the game return to its normal look, until I mouseover something else.\
Sorry for the poor picture quality, but any time I try to get a screenshot I just end up with an image of what's up behind the game. Had to get OBS in my screenshot from the second monitor.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Fr33andcl34r -- 2/8/2020 2:04:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 2:22:31 PM   
btd64

I'm guessing that you have windows 10. You have windows bleed through. It's fixable. I'm not in front of my computer now but someone will be by to help with switches....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Fr33andcl34r)
Post #: 2
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 2:38:45 PM   
geofflambert

I'm on Win 10 and have never had that. If switches are the problem here's mine: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -fd -altFont -px1920 -py1080 -archive -cpu1 -dd_sw -deepColor -skipVideo -w

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 4:25:18 PM   
Kull

It's definitely the "screen bleed-through bug", which is specific to Windows 10. Most people solve it with "windowed mode", but:

1) If the Gorn's settings fix it for you, nothing more is needed.

2) If they do not, try deleting just the -dd_sw switch. For most people it causes enormous lagtime when moving around in the game, but for some it does not AND it always fixes the bug. If you delete that switch and get the lag problem, put the switch back and....

3) Make sure you have upgraded to the 11.26a version of the game (which you should have done anyway, but if not, do so now). Windows mode will not work unless you are using that update (or that plus the beta, 11.26b)

4) Because by now we KNOW you will need to use windowed mode, and the fastest way to do that properly is to install the Seabee utility and use that to set your switches, window sizes, resolutions, etc.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 4:47:15 PM   
Fr33andcl34r

Okay guys that helped a lot. Now I just have to figure out how to hide my task bar so I can see the bottom of the window...

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 5:16:19 PM   
geofflambert

I move the task bar to the right side. That works for me since the screen is wider than the height, and the only thing obscured are the minimize, maximize and close buttons, which I don't use anyway. Just drag the task bar over to the right and it will set up. Not having the taskbar is a pain in the tuckus. If you don't want it, just maximize the window.

Also, if you need to use the upper right buttons, just drag the window down and to the left.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 2/8/2020 5:17:17 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 5:20:47 PM   
geofflambert

One thing I frequently use the taskbar for is to right click on it then click "Show the Desktop". To go back you just click the game (in progress) icon on the task bar.

Post #: 7
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 5:26:14 PM   
geofflambert

I forgot, the task bar on the right will obscure part of the jump screen, the US west coast, but I'm a Japanese gorn and I never go there except to check on my subs.

Post #: 8
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 5:40:15 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fr33andcl34r

Okay guys that helped a lot. Now I just have to figure out how to hide my task bar so I can see the bottom of the window...

You can always change the taskbar setting to "automatically hide". I always keep it that way, but some folks don't like it. If you are one of the latter, just change the settings before and after starting a game. Kind of a pain, but easy enough.

Post #: 9
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 2/8/2020 10:36:20 PM   
Bearcat2

I had the same problem years ago, deleted the -dd_sw switch
Fixed the problem

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 12/19/2020 9:38:33 PM   
Fr33andcl34r

Hi guys! Just an update to the thread, I used winexp to make windowed mode fullscreen. It solved all my issues with the window.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 11
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 12/20/2020 5:21:11 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fr33andcl34r

I haven't played in a few years, but I didn't have the issue beforehand. Game appears normally until I mouseover anything giving me an info box. When I move the mouse away, the info box turns into that area of my desktop. Moving the map makes the game return to its normal look, until I mouseover something else.\
Sorry for the poor picture quality, but any time I try to get a screenshot I just end up with an image of what's up behind the game. Had to get OBS in my screenshot from the second monitor.

I have a dual monitor set up, and the game (windowed or full screen modes) only works properly on my primary monitor. I get all sorts of glitches like yours, and worse, on the secondary monitor.

I suggest playing the game on your primary monitor, with a set of command line switches as described earlier in the thread. You can put the save directory up on #2 monitor and open the report files in wordpad to work through them - speeds the game up considerably for me.

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 12
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 12/25/2020 1:37:29 AM   
Fr33andcl34r

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear (words are hard). Yes, I play only on primary monitor. It's OBS that I have on my second monitor, plus discord, and other programs. Game is always on primary monitor.

-Great shot Kido, that was one in a million!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 13
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 12/25/2020 4:34:58 PM   
Randy Stead

My game runs full screen by default, not windowed mode. I have started to have a minor annoyance. Every minute, when the clock in the taskbar, lower right corner, ticks off another minute that little square bleeds through. It immediately disappears as soon as I mouse-over that area. I am not sure what that is, but it is definitely related to an alteration I made to my system power settings. While watching the Japanese turn 1 in the 12-7-41 long campaign there is nothing for me to do but sit and watch the animations and such. After ten minutes the game would minimize to an active icon on the task bar. So, I went in and tinkered with the monitor and system sleep settings and that little bleed through has been occurring. It is not a game breaker as that little corner is not critical. Just an annoyance.

< Message edited by Randy Stead -- 12/25/2020 4:35:35 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Desktop showing up behind boxes in game - 12/25/2020 4:36:06 PM   
Sardaukar

It is Windows 10 bleeding through.

Minor annoyance.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Desktop showing up behind boxes in game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI