Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for Game Suggestions. Please.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/26/2020 8:45:47 PM   
mashkis

Happy Holidays everyone.

I am looking for some suggestions for a complex, challenging (solid AI) and fun game. I purchased Shadow Empire and I am loving it. It has a nice balance of base building and warfare. I also have Strategic Command War WWII War in Europe which is fun but I wish it was a bit more complex.

I am open to any genre as long as the game has a good AI.

I am also not looking for anything as too complex as War in the East or West where each AI turn takes 5 min. or more.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/26/2020 10:59:45 PM   
MrsWargamer

I suggest you give WEGO designs a try.

I'm thinking of getting Piercing Fortress Europa for myself.

It or Desert War might appeal to you

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to mashkis)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/26/2020 11:20:54 PM   
mainsworthy

Steel Panthers WaW is a great! game and is on sale right now for £8 , you need red leds artilary script from the matrix forum , and then everything runs on win 10. I promise you its fantastic, but if you dont like waiting between turns turn on fast artillary because that can be a wait but I love watching as the shells hit.

SPWaW is a classic, there is hundreds of scenarios etc.. also the depot has 1000s too, its the best £8 you will ever spend

forgot to mention the depot has a graphics overhall , much recomended , the game looks great with the new graphics, the A.I. is fantastic,

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 12/27/2020 12:08:38 AM >

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 12:42:46 AM   
z1812z

Take a look at Field of Glory 2.

I usually play WW2 or Modern titles. I was looking for a new game and a friend suggested Field of Glory 2 which is ancient warfare. He said it had one of the best AI's he had experienced.

I was a little surprised but I trusted his judgement and thought I would at least check out the game page. I was unsure, but also a bit curious so I did buy it. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Have a look. You may like it.

< Message edited by z1812z -- 12/27/2020 12:45:32 AM >

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 1:05:23 AM   
mainsworthy

I would also recomend if you buy field of glory 2, to look at field of glory empires , they both plug into one another one for the strategy like civ, and one for battles.

(in reply to z1812z)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 1:33:15 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainsworthy

I would also recomend if you buy field of glory 2, to look at field of glory empires , they both plug into one another one for the strategy like civ, and one for battles.

I do believe that they are a package and on sale right now. I recommend going that route as they also include some Down Loadable Content (DLC) as well.

If you want a challenging game with longer turns but may also have economics, look at WITP:AE which is on sale right now.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 6
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 1:20:37 PM   
rocketman71

quote:

Steel Panthers WaW is a great! game and is on sale right now for £8 , you need red leds artilary script from the matrix forum , and then everything runs on win 10. I promise you its fantastic, but if you dont like waiting between turns turn on fast artillary because that can be a wait but I love watching as the shells hit.

SPWaW is a classic, there is hundreds of scenarios etc.. also the depot has 1000s too, its the best £8 you will ever spend

forgot to mention the depot has a graphics overhall , much recomended , the game looks great with the new graphics, the A.I. is fantastic,

Could you please post a screenshot of what it looks like with the graphics overhaul or link to where I can have a look at it?

Post #: 7
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 3:23:28 PM   
wodin

TOAW, covers many Wars.

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 3:34:10 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

TOAW, covers many Wars.

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa

To be fair TOAW AI (programmed opponent) varies by scenario. It is programmed by the scenario designer so how well it performs can vary from horrible to great.

You could try Combat Command 2. The base game is free so it costs nothing to give it a try.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 3:57:52 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketman71

quote:

Could you please post a screenshot of what it looks like with the graphics overhaul or link to where I can have a look at it?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/files-to-optimize-your-stock-installation-t15.html

Post #: 10
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 6:34:05 PM   
mashkis

Thanks for your suggestions. I like to get something that focuses on economics as well. Similar to 4X game.

Field of Glory looks like it has the same play mechanics as Sengoku Jidai which I already have played. WITP:AE is huge so I had tried War Plan Orange years ago and could not get past the turn lengths. I will do some more research on the other games that have been suggested.

Post #: 11
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 7:02:44 PM   
LarryP

Warplan.

Does it have to be a war game?

< Message edited by LarryP -- 12/27/2020 7:10:02 PM >

(in reply to mashkis)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 10:28:15 PM   
rocketman71

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/files-to-optimize-your-stock-installation-t15.html

Thanks. I downloaded the game and the mod set and will give it a go. Couldn't download the patch unless I created an account so that will wait til later.

Post #: 13
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 10:46:16 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks. I downloaded the game and the mod set and will give it a go. Couldn't download the patch unless I created an account so that will wait til later.

you can get the patch here, just rename the extention to ps1 from txt and put it in your SPWaW folder right click it and run in powershell. its not hard but if you never done this before its a help if i give the details. if you dont see file extentions on your pc look for the view option in windows explorer

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4924101

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 12/27/2020 10:53:23 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/27/2020 11:01:14 PM   
mainsworthy

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/scenario-and-campaign-packs-for-the-stock-game-t8.html

and here are lots of scenarios and campaigns

Post #: 15
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/28/2020 2:11:10 PM   
mashkis

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Warplan.

No. I am open to suggestions...

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/28/2020 3:25:33 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

Warplan.

Isn't Warplan very much like strategic command? They seem very similar in complexity and style.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/28/2020 5:46:53 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

quote:

Warplan.

Isn't Warplan very much like strategic command? They seem very similar in complexity and style.

Yes, and I thought about it when I posted it. However, it is different. I have both and played SC every version, they are different enough to where when I'm tired of SC I go to Warplan and have a great time. Everyone is different though.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/28/2020 10:12:58 PM   
Rosseau

If you don't mind the graphics, which remain fully functional, SSG's various titles remain quite solid: still among the best AIs I've ever encountered, a solid scenario editor, and ability to download scenarios from SSG's website: https://www.ssg.com.au/

Battles for Italy is the best of that series, imo, and Kharkov is the newest. Even the old Carriers at War holds up pretty well. And at the sale price, you can't really go wrong. ;)

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/battles-in-italy

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/29/2020 2:07:03 AM   
LarryP

I've got all those older games. Tons of time put in just figuring them out. I'm not sure how they would do now with our flat screens and HD. Kharkov was much fun. I wish they could all be updated to our screens. Looking at the pictures brings back memories, but not all good. Those older dialogs I do not miss.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 12/29/2020 2:08:43 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/29/2020 4:48:16 AM   
Rosseau

I should have mentioned that my monitor is 1900x1200. I have no experience with the higher resolutions.

The display tends to be "garish," but workable. However, the tactical AI is really something and makes few, if any blunders, and completely blows away every John Tiller game in this regard.

"Tons of time figuring them out." That is the truth. I usually have to relearn the game after a hiatus playing. But that is common of a few of the more complex games. Again, at $10 for Battles in Italy right now, I'd personally buy it in a minute. ;)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/29/2020 5:52:38 PM   
mashkis

Yes, I have played the SSG titles. Those were great games. I just don't know where I put the CDs.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 22
RE: Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. - 12/29/2020 10:35:33 PM   
Rosseau

Well, you've been around the block when it comes to the old wargames, Mashkis.

Nothing recently released here has quite blown me away. Second Front I hope will when it releases on Steam.

Maybe LnL Heroes of Stalingrad, right here on Matrix. Good editor and there are some mods in the thread here also.

Have a good one!

(in reply to mashkis)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for Game Suggestions. Please. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI