Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 6:41:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dcpollay

My God, what have you done?!?!?! You mentioned it!

Cast him out! Summon the green button brigade! Release the moderators!

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

I don't get it, what did I do?

You mentioned by name the unmentionable. Not only did you mention the "Movie That Shall Not Be Named" but you also gave a glowing endorsement of it as well as part of the dialogue. I think that they worst part, however, is posting a picture of it that was something other than the eye candy.
warspite1

Mmmm... I'm kind of sensing that perhaps you may not be a big fan of Pearl Harbor.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 7:11:24 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

You mentioned by name the unmentionable. Not only did you mention the "Movie That Shall Not Be Named" but you also gave a glowing endorsement of it as well as part of the dialogue. I think that they worst part, however, is posting a picture of it that was something other than the eye candy.
warspite1

Mmmm... I'm kind of sensing that perhaps you may not be a big fan of Pearl Harbor.....

As I posted earlier, I have never seen it - only the trailers for it. But that was enough for me.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 7:17:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

How about the Queen in Yellow - is that unspeakable too?

warspite1

No, Her Majesty can wear what the hell she likes - and get away with it too. Wonderful woman. We salute you your majesty

I agree. The Queen and her husband are both World War Two veterans.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 7:50:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

warspite1

As I posted earlier, I have never seen it - only the trailers for it. But that was enough for me.
warspite1

Maybe that is where you've gone wrong. I fail to see how one can appreciate the unparalleled genius of Michael Bay's magnum opus from just a few trailers. I mean from looking at said trailers - providing simple snapshots as they do - one could be forgiven for believing that the film is crass, moribund, cliched and historically bankrupt. But that is just a handful of trailers; just try and imagine the journey that the whole film takes one on - from the very first day of World War II in December 1941 (plus some scenes of the sideshow in Europesville or somewhere that took place from September 1939), all the way to April 1942 and the aerial destruction of Japan meted out by Dany, Rafe and the gang.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/26/2020 7:52:04 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 8:59:31 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Maybe that is where you've gone wrong. I fail to see how one can appreciate the unparalleled genius of Michael Bay's magnum opus from just a few trailers. I mean from looking at said trailers - providing simple snapshots as they do - one could be forgiven for believing that the film is crass, moribund, cliched and historically bankrupt. But that is just a handful of trailers; just try and imagine the journey that the whole film takes one on - from the very first day of World War II in December 1941 (plus some scenes of the sideshow in Europesville or somewhere that took place from September 1939), all the way to April 1942 and the aerial destruction of Japan meted out by Dany, Rafe and the gang.

But you're forgetting the incredible, tear-jerking love story! I cried my eyes out (during the trailer)! It puts Titanic and Casablanca to shame.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 9:08:17 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

But you're forgetting the incredible, tear-jerking love story! I cried my eyes out (during the trailer)! It puts Titanic and Casablanca to shame.

I don't think that I really watched the Titanic either. But I did buy Casablanca so I could see a half German actress plus the bonus debut of a Hollywood actress whose mother was sleeping(among other things ) with a major studio executive.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 9:17:01 PM   
rustysi

quote:

bonus debut of a Hollywood actress whose mother was sleeping(among other things ) with a major studio executive.

Is that really necessary. Whatever.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 9:24:07 PM   
Ambassador

Long live the Queen, may she release the Scots of their bonds !

As the Unspeakable Movie has been named twice, I think I might as well mention Australia as a Pacific War movie, shouldn’t I ?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 9:35:19 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

bonus debut of a Hollywood actress whose mother was sleeping (among other things ) with a major studio executive.

Is that really necessary. Whatever.

Well, the movie Casablanca was mentioned and this other actress, then 17 years old, did have a decent career in Hollywood. And yes, her mother was sleeping (among other things) with a major studio executive. You see, they were both married - to each other, to boot!

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 9:46:05 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

As the Unspeakable Movie has been named twice, I think I might as well mention Australia as a Pacific War movie, shouldn’t I ?

Hey, herding those cattle looked like getting drunken Marines and Aussies to march in orderly fashion without fighting each other! Pretty realistic, no?

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 10:09:01 PM   
Randy Stead

quote:

quote:

Hey, herding those cattle looked like getting drunken Marines and Aussies to march in orderly fashion without fighting each other! Pretty realistic, no?

And then there's trying to get Yanks and Yanks to march together without fighting. Then we showed up to show them how it's done.

The Canadians Arrive

< Message edited by Randy Stead -- 12/26/2020 10:10:43 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 10:19:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

quote:

quote:

And then there's trying to get Yanks and Yanks to march together without fighting. Then we showed up to show them how it's done.

The Canadians Arrive

Substandard! The American actor playing the Canadian Commander was swinging his arms outward and half shoulder height. And on the "Halt" order, the unit had a two-step halt, not the peculiar three-step (1, 1-2) halt of the Canadian and British armies. But hey, that's Hollywood!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 10:24:52 PM   
Randy Stead

Yeah, I considered much of that, but decided to post as most who never served likely wouldn't notice those defects.

We Canucks may look down our noses at times at the way other forces march, but damn, those Marine drill teams really impress me. That scene at the beginning of "A Few Good Men" was beautiful.

< Message edited by Randy Stead -- 12/26/2020 10:26:35 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 10:28:38 PM   
Randy Stead

quote:

Yeah, I considered much of that, but decided to post as most who never served likely wouldn't notice those defects.

We Canucks may look down our noses at times at the way other forces march, but damn, those Marine drill teams really impress me. That scene at the beginning of "A Few Good Men" was beautiful.

Drill Team

Post #: 44
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 10:56:31 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Canadians Arrive

Substandard! The American actor playing the Canadian Commander was swinging his arms outward and half shoulder height. And on the "Halt" order, the unit had a two-step halt, not the peculiar three-step (1, 1-2) halt of the Canadian and British armies. But hey, that's Hollywood!

Very nice. I liked that some of the men were wearing skirts . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 11:23:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Canadians Arrive

And after the lady asked the Scot if anything was worn under the kilt, he said with a grin: "Nae, m'am - it's all in fine working condition!"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 11:47:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Whut?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 11:50:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, the Horror!!!

quote:

Warspite1....GP

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Warspite1

I didn’t forget, I just didn’t think it appropriate to mention in a family freindly forum. I mean isn’t she getting done by both Dany and Rafe? Or something.......

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/26/2020 11:59:04 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Canadians Arrive

And after the lady asked the Scot if anything was worn under the kilt, he said with a grin: "Nae, m'am - it's all in fine working condition!"

Worn to mid-thigh by a boy, worn knee-length by a man, worn to mid-calf by a liar!

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/27/2020 5:44:24 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Canadians Arrive

When I first saw it I loved that movie. Who knew back then when I was a youngster that it was actually based on a true story. I mean who assaulted Mount La Defensa. Hollywood.

The unit is actually in the game from Avalon Hill called Anzio.

Now in real life I don't think the Americans were truly f***ups, although I've no doubt they did seem that way when compared to a professorial Canuck organisation.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 50
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/27/2020 7:00:42 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Canadians Arrive

When I first saw it I loved that movie. Who knew back then when I was a youngster that it was actually based on a true story. I mean who assaulted Mount La Defensa. Hollywood.

The unit is actually in the game from Avalon Hill called Anzio.

Now in real life I don't think the Americans were truly f***ups, although I've no doubt they did seem that way when compared to a professorial Canuck organisation.

The Canadians had been in the war for several years, and had spent more time in WWI also. They could be personally adventurous and scrappy off-duty, but on duty was all business.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 3:59:13 AM   
RhinoDad

Hear! Hear! warspite1

And besides as HRM has said, "I can never wear beige because nobody will know who I am."

As the Countess of Wessex has said, "She needs to stand out for people to be able to say 'I saw the Queen,” …. "Don't forget that when she turns up somewhere, the crowds are two, three, four, ten, 15 deep, and someone wants to be able to say they saw a bit of the Queen's hat as she went past."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 5:04:47 AM   
RhinoDad

And if she frees Scotland than who is going to pay the taxes to support all those Scotts on the dole.

< Message edited by RhinoDad -- 12/28/2020 5:17:17 AM >

(in reply to RhinoDad)
Post #: 53
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 5:15:17 AM   
RhinoDad

Despite how bad the unmentionable story was, I watched it with some Pearl harbor survivors. Battleship men who had been topside for at least some of the battle. They agreed with you whole heartedly, except for the quick few moments of the battle scene. After that we had to stop, dare I call it a film, and sat quietly for a few moments while a few murmured that a movie for once actually did a pretty good job of capturing the moment and feel. So I am guessing do to the rarity of their reaction the movie has a good chance of having a snippet of value.

Would agree with RangerJoe on “Bridge over River Kwai”; the one vet I knew that had lived it would spit bullets, start swearing and such at the mere mention of it. Said in about 3 hours they had disgraced 3 some years of sacrifice and work on that bit of road.

Unfortunately, there were few ww2 movies that any of the vets I was around liked. Have not seen any since the “unspeakable one”, just do not watch movies anymore and all of my friends I would visit with regarding ww2 have passed on. These were all that had seen way to much combat in real life, many had been wounded multiple times. They varied from seamen to admirals; with a few marines thrown in; some had gained recognition for their successful service.

Mostly during a ww2 action movie they would just sit, laugh and make sarcastic comments. When asked why they would say, “It’s just like watching a comedy”, or they would compare them to comic books. Or say something like, “the story, the scenes, the behaviors are quite untrue only very occasionally does it resemble the facts as they were at the time.”

One who had done technical advising, for at the time, a well know submarine movie commented when asked by his friend about the movie said something like, Well it is Hollywood, there is only so far they will go with aiming for accuracy.

Even some that had written books commented on how some of the material had been sanitized or generalized or were just numbers; how it was very hard to just read books for a thorough understanding of the situation.

Or in sitting round with others of the same experience, the one who had been ship captain would say from speaking with you who were at the forefront of the information I was supposedly relayed, I would have a hard time recognizing it was the same incident. Unfortunately, those Captains are the ones who often write the book.

Unfortunately, with the loss of the ones in the trenches we have lost the keys to a fascinating piece of history.

It is very difficult to take one way of life and time, and try to understand a very different way of life and time, especially when the attitudes of the military towards its members, equipment and tactics are so different than currently. Movies and books have to try to bridge that gap but the picture is never all that clear, and sometimes just plain bad.

(in reply to RhinoDad)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 8:11:46 AM   
fcooke

I've seen the Queen twice and both times was shocked that I didn't notice any security. Probably there but didn't want to be noticed (unlike the US approach). First time was at Ascot, and the 2nd time late at night when the wife and I were passing Buckingham Palace fairly late at night in a black cab after a night in the pub and she was on her way somewhere in her car. On that occasion we actually got the signature wave.

The only time I have noticed Brits really unhappy with her was the Princess Di episode. The Princess was one of the only, if not the only person more popular than the Queen. I was living in Corporate housing in Knightsbridge when that happened. Harrods was quite the spectacle.

All this 'discussion' of TMTSNBM has me craving a proper film.....

(in reply to RhinoDad)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 3:42:41 PM   
bush

Not historical but I really enjoy In Harm's Way.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 3:48:56 PM   
fcooke

In Harm's Way is entertaining. I used to build models when I was a 'bit' younger. Some of my models ended up the same as the ones used in the film....

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 3:49:12 PM   
Sardaukar

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097334/

Farewell to the King (1989)
Borneo, 1942: An American soldier escapes WWII and becomes the king of the headhunters in the jungle. Two British soldiers are parachuted into the area to find local support for the battle against the Japanese.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 6:06:58 PM   
RhinoDad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hrafnagud

Yes, that movie taught me that they allowed pursuit pilots to fly B-25s off the Hornet in '42.

Although from a historical perspective the movie is rubbish, I took it as a Hollywood “based on a true story” type of movie. Meaning there was a war which involved the UK, USA, and Japan. It involved action in Britain, Pearl Harbor and Japan. That the airplanes had propellers on them, some fighters some bombers. A movie with current ways/attitudes given a bit of historical flavor.

However, it would not be unusual for a pilot to be put where ever the AAF wanted, flying what ever plane they put him in regardless of experience. However, bomber and fighter pilots once assigned the roll tended to stay in that roll. Flight time in something similar to what you were assigned to was seen as something you got on the way to the target or mission. As landings are one of the more difficult things to do it is one of the reasons there were so many crashes upon mission returns from newer pilots, even though there was no combat and plane fully functional. Until later in the war training in plane being used and tactics was something you learned on the job, if you survived long enough. America had an almost endless supply of pilots and planes and pilots were treated as such.

What is very a historical regarding game play is that it is strenuously recommended that pilots be trained in a mission roll and then used at the front in similar planes and in similar roles.

That part of the movie, dare I call it that, that is strange is for someone who had been a fighter pilot forced to not only associate with “their kind” (bomber pilots), but to be a fighter pilot assigned as a bomber pilot would be the utmost in humiliation and disgrace. That the character does not complain and protest to the highest levels available to him is the part that is out of character.

Doolittle acted somewhat unusual for the time in having the pilots for the raid practice. That may be because of his beliefs (Some like Halsey tended to provide opportunity for training), that they effectively had no bombsite, and/or with only a few planes wanted to actually do something than just a fly over. Taking off of a carrier he probably also wanted them to be able to make it to Japan and not just crash into the ocean trying to take off.

At this time it was almost impossible for American fliers to assemble various aircraft for a coordinated raid as their training and skill levels were so low. The pilots were amazingly brave but little trained.

< Message edited by RhinoDad -- 12/28/2020 6:19:29 PM >

(in reply to Hrafnagud)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films - 12/28/2020 6:12:27 PM   
RhinoDad

Based on some of the recommendations thought I would give the new Midway movie a go. It is said they aimed for realism but wonder how well a technical advisor in a very different military with very different training and experience will be able to capture the way of life, attitudes, and outlook of a completely different time and place.

Will be very interested in how they handle Spruance's launching of an uncoordinated attack on the Japanese fleet, and other tidbits of the battle and lead up that I find interesting.

But looking forward to it.

Very much enjoyed “Flags of Our Fathers”, and “Letters from Iwo Jima” (may have gotten the names wrong)

(in reply to RhinoDad)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: WWII Pacific theater films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI