Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Text for my own scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Text for my own scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Text for my own scenario - 7/9/2001 4:16:00 AM   
Insert

I was just thinking that can I add "information" text to my own scenario? Please! Help newbie

Beware! Newbies are coming!
Post #: 1
- 7/9/2001 4:59:00 AM   
Don

Yes - the best way to learn how to make a scenario text file, I think, is to go into your SPWAW file, then into the SCEN file. Then start opening up the text files, which are the files you see when you go to play a scenario. These will show you the format you need to use, and usually I just alter an existing file to make a new one. Now, sometimes you get all the info in there but it doesn't look right in the game and needs some "tweaking". So what I do is leave the text file open, making changes and clicking "save file as...". Then go into SPWAW and see how it looks. If it needs more work I click on another scenario in SPWAW, alt-tab out of the game and change the text file, using "save as..." again, then go back into SPWAW again. Repeat until it looks good! This makes "tuning" the file fast and easy! ;)

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Insert)
Post #: 2
- 7/9/2001 7:13:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Don has answered quite well but allow me to add a little on the "how to" part of this, Advantage. Text files in SPWAW are the Window for your scenario. A poorly done text file will not help your cause. I don't care how good the battle is, if the text file is poorly done, most gamers will simply move to the next scenario. I urge you, therefore, to give careful consideration to your text files. No sloppiness, no last minutre rush to write something will do. Most of you are doing a great job with this facet of the scenario, but let me re-emphasize it's importance. Now here are some guidelines for doing text files. Uniformity is a must here. The Raiders have a reputation for doing things right and atention to detail in the text indicates attention to detail in the scenario. Here we go.... 1. Remember the following: - The text does not center itself. The parts of your intro that need to be centered can be done with the underline ( ___ ) key. Astericks are used to create line breaks. For a space between lines, you need two astericks. Note the example below: +++++++++++++++++++++= ______TO HELL AND BACK* * ___US Assault vs Germany Defend* _____Utah Beach, June 6, 1944* ___________Turns: 15* * ____Design: Protacius Ringworm* * (TEXT) Make short paragraphs. Remember, they are squeezed in the text menu and a long paragraph looks like a book to the player. About two or three sentences.* * Notice how I put an asterick at the end of the first paragraph, then another asterick in a separate line. That will separate paragraphs and looks much neater. Do this with your text also* * You will find by doing this that you have a much neater looking file. Within the text, include essentials. Try not to write the entire history, only enough to whet the appetite of the player.* * Include hints if you wish or special notes, eg, human player should take US side, or German units are short on ammo, stuff like that. I usually include them at the top or bottom of the text file.* * Sources* How I cut my Toenails, Wilder* Sex for the Handicapped, Faletti* Living Bald, Avery* Eating Sensibly, Rusco* +++++++++++++++++++++ Note: It is recommended to include a couple of sources. This gives authority to what you are doing. Someone is always going to say, "I never heard of this battle. Did it really happen? Where did you find this?" This way you have a ready answer for them. When you save this file, save it with the same name as your scenario in SPWAW. For example, if it is scen242, that is what you name your text file. Then you'll see it each time you open the scenario in either the editor or the game itself. Do this every time you do a text file, please. Start the game. Look at the text file in the game. Check it. Don't just write it. Check it. If it looks good, fine. If not, then alt-tab the game, open the file and work on it till it looks right. Check it again...and again, till it what you want. And check your spelling. If you have a problem spelling, run it through a spell checker. Read it over two or three times. Be sure you have it right. [ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Insert)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Text for my own scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI