Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  69 70 71 72 [73]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/4/2021 3:39:13 AM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I went back through your AAR. The first big Carrier clash was on 14 May 43 (on page 43) and the big clash was 20 Aug 43 on page 50. The first one did more damage to your ships but he lost tremendous numbers of aircraft, and especially the highly trained carrier pilots. The second clash he had some of his carriers absent, possibly just leaving Japan to join KB in the DEI when you surprised him by moving into the battle instead of staying with your landings. Your pilots were clearly superior and you had more aircraft. You got basically a double-Midway result.

From talking to OPilot, I learned that he lost Soryu in an early carrier battle. I think it was in the battle where weather prevented many more bombs from hitting, and the bomb hits were spread out amongst his carriers. His CAP was weak, but so many of my bombs missed. I had thought that none of his carriers were damaged enough to be lost.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2161
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/5/2021 10:02:47 PM   
OPilot

First, I want to congratulate apbarog on his total victory over the Japanese Empire. This 2-1/2 year journey was quite a learning experience. I am very competitive and I am not used to losing. I more than met my match with apbarog.

I had intended to read the entire AAR before commenting but I only made it through November 1942 and realized that it would take at least another week to get through this very well written account of our game. I still intend to read it all but I am itching to start another game against apbarog as the Allies. I’m just hoping I can be a worthy opponent and not succumb to apbarog by an early Japanese auto victory. I’m sure apbarog will start a new AAR so you can follow along with our next war which will undoubtedly be as exciting as the last one.

The one word that best describes this last war was “ACTION”. There was action, action, and more action throughout the entire war. Both of us made sure of that. I was always on the edge of my seat watching the combat replays. Everyday I looked forward to an email from apbarog and rushed to watch the combat replay. What was going to happen next? Before the Japanese were even thinking about going on the defensive, the Allies were on the offensive and never stopped until eventually invading Honshu.

In fact, the Allies reached Japan so soon that there was no time for its economy to collapse as I have been told usually happens. When I started this game, I was concerned about Japan running out of fuel and HI points but that did not happen in our game. I decided that Japan needed to conquer as many oil centers and refineries as possible and begin shipping oil and fuel back to Japan. That drove Japan to bypass Luzon and go for Sumatra, Singapore, Borneo, and Java as quickly as possible. Burma was next because it had oil centers and refineries. Then, Northern China was in the cross-hairs. Bloated tankers were continuously sailing from Singapore to Japan. By August 1943, the Japanese empire had about 4,000,000 units of fuel most of which was in Japan. All heavy industries had plenty of fuel and were cranking out HI points and supply. By December 1943, there was about 5,300,000 tons of supply and 2,600,000 HI points throughout the empire. It was obvious that there would be no shortage of fuel, supplies, and HI points. Ship production was accelerated. Engine and air frame factories were expanded to use the excess HI points. Some HI factories were able to sit idle. At wars end, Japan still had 2,000,000 units of fuel. The economy could have kept going until the end of 1944 without running out of anything but the war did last that long. This might be the case for expending too much effort on the economy and not enough on preventing shipping from being lost. At times, ships were risked in an effort to bring more oil, fuel, and resources back to Japan.

I learned that I am able to successfully run the Japanese economy and next I need to learn to better run the combat portion of the war. In our next war when I play as the Allies, there will not be any economy to deal with. Hopefully, I can better keep my eye on the rest of the war. Apbarog, look out! Here I come!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2162
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/6/2021 9:21:55 AM   
castor troy

Congrats to both of you for this journey!

(in reply to OPilot)
Post #: 2163
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/7/2021 2:30:57 AM   
apbarog

Thank you Evoken, Sardaukar, CaptBeefheart, BBfanboy, and castor troy, and all of you lurkers who, like me, don't usually comment on other's AARs. It's all about the journey. You know this if you've played a campaign over several years. The ending is a bit sad, win or lose. It's a long story played out with your input.

I've learned some things from this war.

As the Allies, I didn't have an invasion that I thought I had done too soon. Keep pushing. You have to be prepared, but realize that you may be more prepared than the enemy, even if you aren't fully prepared. My push to Formosa before Luzon had been secured worked very well. It cut off the South China Sea and paved the way for Allied forces to help the Chinese. Formosa wasn't ready for the invasion. Had I waited for Luzon to be completely secured, it may have been. If you can have the next invasion ready to go soon after the previous one, it can be wildly successful.

Mines plus fortresses equals a rough welcoming. I think that DBB has more fortress units than the stock game. They can be tough. Tsushima is brutal. OPilot saved a lot of mines for Japan, and they were effective. The fortress guns made sweeping the mines a suicide run. But it had to be done. Many YMS were lost. I'm thinking that it is more important to identify the minefields with sweepers than completely sweep the mines. Many more mine hits were achieved when the minefields hadn't been spotted before.

Franks are the best Japanese fighters through early 1944. P-47s, particularly the later model, could handle them. Other US fighter types could not. I learned after the war that the enemy pilot were typically still 80+ in skills. I had not depleted the enemy pilots much. I had squadrons that could match those skills, but most had skills in the 70's.

I felt that P-51s do not perform as well in the game as they did in real life. OPilot thought that P-47s perform better than they did in real life.

China is a real struggle for the Allies. Supply is just so critical there.

I'm sure that there are more lessons learned, but I've spent the day starting my work in our next game as the Japanese, and it is exhausting. I'll need a couple of more days, at least, to finish my first turn. I will be starting a new AAR soon.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2164
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/8/2021 4:25:16 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Yes, the P-51D seems a bit underpowered in this game. If you play long enough, you'll get the P-51H, which is fantastic.

Looking forward to the next campaign.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2165
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/8/2021 5:08:00 PM   
apbarog

I was close to finishing the Japanese first turn for a new game. But I've realized that I didn't follow the correct procedures for starting a new game. I mistakenly thought I'd remembered starting the game as "Head to Head", doing all the setup, saving the turn before ending the turn, and using that to test with. When happy, then changing to "Email" game, ending the turn, and sending it to my opponent.

This is wrong. The procedure is right there on the main page: PBEM Startup

I need to save the game when I finish all the setup, then test it acting as both sides. When happy with it, go back to the saved game, end the turn, and ship it to my opponent.

3 very long days of work down the drain. I'm getting old. Memory isn't what it used to be.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2166
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/8/2021 5:41:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

I was close to finishing the Japanese first turn for a new game. But I've realized that I didn't follow the correct procedures for starting a new game. I mistakenly thought I'd remembered starting the game as "Head to Head", doing all the setup, saving the turn before ending the turn, and using that to test with. When happy, then changing to "Email" game, ending the turn, and sending it to my opponent.

This is wrong. The procedure is right there on the main page: PBEM Startup

I need to save the game when I finish all the setup, then test it acting as both sides. When happy with it, go back to the saved game, end the turn, and ship it to my opponent.

3 very long days of work down the drain. I'm getting old. Memory isn't what it used to be.

It's a very handy excuse - I use it all the time!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2167
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/19/2021 2:22:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

Thank you Evoken, Sardaukar, CaptBeefheart, BBfanboy, and castor troy, and all of you lurkers who, like me, don't usually comment on other's AARs. It's all about the journey. You know this if you've played a campaign over several years. The ending is a bit sad, win or lose. It's a long story played out with your input.

I've learned some things from this war.

As the Allies, I didn't have an invasion that I thought I had done too soon. Keep pushing. You have to be prepared, but realize that you may be more prepared than the enemy, even if you aren't fully prepared. My push to Formosa before Luzon had been secured worked very well. It cut off the South China Sea and paved the way for Allied forces to help the Chinese. Formosa wasn't ready for the invasion. Had I waited for Luzon to be completely secured, it may have been. If you can have the next invasion ready to go soon after the previous one, it can be wildly successful.

Mines plus fortresses equals a rough welcoming. I think that DBB has more fortress units than the stock game. They can be tough. Tsushima is brutal. OPilot saved a lot of mines for Japan, and they were effective. The fortress guns made sweeping the mines a suicide run. But it had to be done. Many YMS were lost. I'm thinking that it is more important to identify the minefields with sweepers than completely sweep the mines. Many more mine hits were achieved when the minefields hadn't been spotted before.

Franks are the best Japanese fighters through early 1944. P-47s, particularly the later model, could handle them. Other US fighter types could not. I learned after the war that the enemy pilot were typically still 80+ in skills. I had not depleted the enemy pilots much. I had squadrons that could match those skills, but most had skills in the 70's.

I felt that P-51s do not perform as well in the game as they did in real life. OPilot thought that P-47s perform better than they did in real life.

China is a real struggle for the Allies. Supply is just so critical there.

I'm sure that there are more lessons learned, but I've spent the day starting my work in our next game as the Japanese, and it is exhausting. I'll need a couple of more days, at least, to finish my first turn. I will be starting a new AAR soon.

Just a wonderfully great game!...Congratulations to you both.

Very impressive for Japan to keep the pilot skill up.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2168
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/19/2021 4:22:30 PM   
PaxMondo

Congrats on a great game!!!

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2169
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/19/2021 5:10:30 PM   
apbarog

Thank you both. It was a fun game. I enjoyed seeing the end of the war, something that I had never seen before.

Our next war, sides switched, has already begun, and OPilot is already showing his aggressiveness as the Allied player.

Thanks to all for reading. I enjoy doing a daily summary of the war. Initially, I did it for my dad and a local friend to read to keep up with my game. Now I do it because I enjoy it and it may provide some value to others to see what one person did in the war, and what worked and didn't work.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2170
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 1/20/2021 9:32:38 PM   
Bif1961

My opponent and I have been switching back and forth after our games have concluded for the past 5 years. One of these days I am sure we will take a game the distance. It is a huge bonus to find an opponent that you are in sync with, good luck.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 1/21/2021 2:20:33 PM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2171
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 71 72 [73]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  69 70 71 72 [73]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI