Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frank r VS Frank b

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Frank r VS Frank b Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 4:47:56 AM   
rustysi

Forget about the time difference in getting these two aircraft, which would you prefer to have as a front line plane.

OK, so the Frank r is 7MPH faster, and has a good maneuverable rating up to 31K altitude.

Thing is the Frank b has 4 20mm cannon, and two of them are CL guns. Nice firepower.

Choose.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Post #: 1
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 6:30:11 PM   
Hrafnagud

Horses for courses.

The R variant was specifically designed for high-altitude interception.

Is your opponent using stratospheric sweeps at the end of the war? In that case, I would go for the R variant.

In all other cases, I would prefer the B variant.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 6:34:31 PM   
Q-Ball

So much easier to get to the Frank-R though, because it's an upgrade from the Frank-a

(in reply to Hrafnagud)
Post #: 3
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 6:36:54 PM   
mind_messing

The Frank R all the way.

The speed and the high altitude performance tip the scales in a big way. Well worth losing two extra cannons.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 7:26:02 PM   
Randy Stead

I assume CL = center line guns? And they are more accurate as compared to wing mounted guns? 4 x 20mm cannons sure would pack a whoomp.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 5
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 7:35:41 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

I assume CL = center line guns? And they are more accurate as compared to wing mounted guns? 4 x 20mm cannons sure would pack a whoomp.

Yes, centerline guns have a doubled accuracy.

(in reply to Randy Stead)
Post #: 6
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 7:47:21 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randy Stead

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Its roughly equivalent to having 6 wing mounted 20mm.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 1/4/2021 7:48:51 PM >

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Post #: 7
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 8:30:21 PM   
Ambassador

As for your question, I go for the 84b.

Regarding speed, you’ll face F4U-1D, which will have over 25 mph over even the 84r and greater durability, or P-51D which are even faster. Or P-47N which are faster, way more durable, packing a far greater punch with 8 0.5in (8*3 against 14 for 84r or 16 for 84b). And all three fly even higher than the 84r.

So, higher speed for the US fighters means the maneuverability advantage is lessened or negated, and the speed difference between both models is less relevant. At least, with 4*20mm, you get better odds of hitting with the CL pair.

Oh, and speaking of maneuverability ? 84r >31k ft is 22, 84b is 14, but F4U-1D is 13, P-51D is 11, but P-47N is already 17 (with a 61mph speed advantage). So, no, you don’t really have a maneuverability advantage.
And let’s just add that P-51H are coming soon too, with an even greater speed. And if it really comes to it, the P-80A with 558mph, 45k max alt, 28 maneuver and 6 centerline 0.5in.

So, unless you manage to greatly hasten the development of the 84r, it’ll still be outclassed by the Allied fighters, so with the 84b you at least have better odds to have one successful first shot.

PS: and don’t get me started on the service rating...

ÉDIT: and even if you manage to push the development forward to ‘44, the Allies still have the P-47D25 and the P-51B, which again fly faster and higher anyway, with the same 8*0.5in for the Thunderbolt... and getting those starting 44/3. And even the P-47D2 have the same advantages, right from 43/7.

< Message edited by Ambassador -- 1/4/2021 8:37:07 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 8:51:06 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

So, higher speed for the US fighters means the maneuverability advantage is lessened or negated, and the speed difference between both models is less relevant. At least, with 4*20mm, you get better odds of hitting with the CL pair.

Oh, and speaking of maneuverability ? 84r >31k ft is 22, 84b is 14, but F4U-1D is 13, P-51D is 11, but P-47N is already 17 (with a 61mph speed advantage). So, no, you don’t really have a maneuverability advantage.
And let’s just add that P-51H are coming soon too, with an even greater speed. And if it really comes to it, the P-80A with 558mph, 45k max alt, 28 maneuver and 6 centerline 0.5in.

This is not quite correct, considering how the and shows why you should prioritise the R model

See comments from Alfred here - https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4035467

MVR Delta between Ki-84R and Allied planes at >32k (assuming Ki-84R MVR is halved as per Alfred's comments, so Frank R = 22/2 = 11 MVR)

P47N: -6
P51H: -4
F6F5: -4
F4U1D: -2

Therefore, even if the Allied aircraft being discussed pass every speed check, and that check has full impact on the IJ planes MVR rating at max altitude, the Ki-84r is still fairly competitive in terms of MVR.

Do the same for the B model and it's a much grimmer picture (Frank B = 14/2 = 7)

P47N: -10
P51H: -8
F6F5: -9
F4U1D: -5

Quite the difference. Even more so given that we're considering only altitudes above 32k. When you start to look at using the Frank R at lower altitudes, it becomes a much more even contest (even assuming the full halving of the slower planes MVR takes place).

The extra MVR makes a difference. Stick with the R

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 9
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/4/2021 11:13:08 PM   
Ambassador

Per Alfred’s comment, it’s the slower aircraft needing to pass the checks to avoid the reduction. Being -4/-6 against the P-47/P-51 still puts the 84r at a serious disadvantage. Tell me how my statement that « the maneuverability advantage is lessened or negated » is not correct whey your own maths shows the net result will be a disadvantage ?

Moreover, the actual speed takes into account a lot of factors, but when comparing the 84 with the P-51/P-47 (let’s be honest, I only included the USN fighters for the off chance the carriers might conduct a landing where the US don’t have a big numerical advantage), pretty much all the factors favor the US planes. So, the actual difference in airspeed might be even greater.

The longer a fight lasts, the closer to the average do the results tend to approach. So, the longer an 84r manages to keep in the fight, the more probable check fails become. The risk exist starting with a 10mph delta, yet even the F4U-1D is over twice that threshold, with the other models even higher. Hence, greater odds of having a bigger speed delta, so the longer the fight lasts, the higher the risks.

So, to somewhat mitigate the disadvantages against the US planes, you’d be ready to sacrifice 2 CL 20mm for 2 12.7mm ? Those peashooters won’t kill a Jug, nor a Mustang either. Might not even seriously damage the Jug. However, the 20mm might damage or kill both. When failing to kill a Jug in the first pass (assuming it might get it, without the speed or altitude advantage), the 84r pilot just gets another risk of failing to pass a check.

Post #: 10
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/5/2021 12:01:39 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

Per Alfred’s comment, it’s the slower aircraft needing to pass the checks to avoid the reduction. Being -4/-6 against the P-47/P-51 still puts the 84r at a serious disadvantage. Tell me how my statement that « the maneuverability advantage is lessened or negated » is not correct whey your own maths shows the net result will be a disadvantage ?

I took umbrage with your suggestion that because the MVR advantage wasn't possible, the B model was preferable for the armaments layout. It's not. Even the MVR advantage being negated is worth a great deal.

The R model will fight at a slight to moderate disadvantage at max altitude, while the B model will fight at a serious disadvantage. In other words, the R model is competitive with the most common top-line Allied fighters, even when the full speed penalty is applied.

I will leave the maths for the mid and low altitudes bands as an exercise for the reader.

quote:

Moreover, the actual speed takes into account a lot of factors, but when comparing the 84 with the P-51/P-47 (let’s be honest, I only included the USN fighters for the off chance the carriers might conduct a landing where the US don’t have a big numerical advantage), pretty much all the factors favor the US planes. So, the actual difference in airspeed might be even greater.

The longer a fight lasts, the closer to the average do the results tend to approach. So, the longer an 84r manages to keep in the fight, the more probable check fails become. The risk exist starting with a 10mph delta, yet even the F4U-1D is over twice that threshold, with the other models even higher. Hence, greater odds of having a bigger speed delta, so the longer the fight lasts, the higher the risks.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if checks are passed or not. Assuming a R fails every check and has it's MVR passed, it's comparable with the best airframes the Allies have.

I'd also question if that's how the code works in practice, but that's a rhetorical question as neither you nor I will ever know.

quote:

So, to somewhat mitigate the disadvantages against the US planes, you’d be ready to sacrifice 2 CL 20mm for 2 12.7mm ? Those peashooters won’t kill a Jug, nor a Mustang either. Might not even seriously damage the Jug. However, the 20mm might damage or kill both. When failing to kill a Jug in the first pass (assuming it might get it, without the speed or altitude advantage), the 84r pilot just gets another risk of failing to pass a check.

Correct. The additional firepower is a poor trade for the improved performance characteristics of the R model.

You also don't seem to have considered the likely combat environment for these planes. The Allied planes are likely to be making a sweep, likely at high altitude, and so it's likely they'll have the bounce. The speed and maneuverability of the R model is better here, as is the improved climb rate, to help the defenders dodge the bounce and attempt to balance the score when the furball develops and/or other planes on CAP start to dogpile in.

That's well worth two cannons.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 1/5/2021 12:02:42 AM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 11
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/5/2021 1:07:28 AM   
RangerJoe

There is something else to consider although I do not know how well it is modeled in the game: The planes are not always flying at maximum speed, usually it is the cruising speed for maximum fuel efficiency.

As far as putting a Mustang down, or any inline engine with a coolant, any sized bullet hole in the radiator will work. So will a bullet that enters the canopy and hits the pilot hard in the brain case. I believe that those two would be considered "critical hits" in the game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 12
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 1:33:00 AM   
Coach Zuck

Trying to recall at what speed difference does the Maneuver Value get halved?
I seem to recall a 50 mph difference can cause this....is this correct?

Does any speed difference affect affect air:to:combat?
Does a Ki-44IIa Tojo with its 50+mph over an F4F-4 get this "bonus" as well?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 1:48:51 AM   
rustysi

There's no specific speed delta, its 'forum lore'. There's been a recent discussion on it. I'll find the post in a few.

(in reply to Coach Zuck)
Post #: 14
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 2:48:19 AM   
rustysi

D'oh, can't find my a** with both hands and a road map lately.

See link in post 9 above.

Reference Alfred's post 16 in that link.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 15
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 2:53:38 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

D'oh, can't find my a** with both hands and a road map lately.

See link in post 9 above.

Reference Alfred's post 16 in that link.

That sounds like you are a butterbar.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 3:00:05 AM   
rustysi

'Butterbar', no I worked for a living.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 17
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 2:55:11 PM   
Coach Zuck

Took the time to read ALL of that previous thread with ALFRED's info etc.

So basically it's simple; speed is important, pilot experience is important, climb rate is important, etc. etc. etc.
So what I really get out of it "Very complex you can't simplify it!"

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 18
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 2:58:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Zuck

Took the time to read ALL of that previous thread with ALFRED's info etc.

So basically it's simple; speed is important, pilot experience is important, climb rate is important, etc. etc. etc.
So what I really get out of it "Very complex you can't simplify it!"

+1

― Julia Child

(in reply to Coach Zuck)
Post #: 19
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 3:39:28 PM   
Randy Stead

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

There is something else to consider although I do not know how well it is modeled in the game: The planes are not always flying at maximum speed, usually it is the cruising speed for maximum fuel efficiency.

As far as putting a Mustang down, or any inline engine with a coolant, any sized bullet hole in the radiator will work. So will a bullet that enters the canopy and hits the pilot hard in the brain case. I believe that those two would be considered "critical hits" in the game.

In real life, good pilots knew the weaknesses of the enemy aircraft. I read of Luftwaffe fighter pilot Erich Hartmann's tactic against the IL-2 Sturmovik; because it was so heavily armoured he would try to get below it and shoot up into its belly. That took skill, because the IL-2 was a tree hugger.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 3:49:47 PM   
RangerJoe

Know they enemy but more important, know thyself. That would also include the equipment.

Read about the "Night Witches" and there is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YPo8zDkvy4

― Julia Child

Post #: 21
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/6/2021 3:57:34 PM   
Randy Stead

Without even looking at that link I know all about the "Nacht Hexen." Spooky, just like the legendary witches on their broomsticks. Flying over your bed at night, cutting their engines off and diving silently on your foxhole while you have dreams of pfeffernussen und wurst back in the Heimat.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 1:53:30 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Read about the "Night Witches"

I don't have to read about the 'Night Witches', I lived with one for 22 years.

Post #: 23
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 2:55:33 AM   
PaxMondo

Suggest anyone really interested in this discussion search for the last 5 or 6 of these and read them, they go back 10 years easily.

The ability to get Frank a in Q3Y43 and then subsequently Frank -r in mid 44 or even better. Frank -b with the same focus is Q2 '44 at best. Very few players would ever choose the latter over the former.

Frank -a in Q3Y43 is a game changer. Frank -b in Q2Y44 just maintains status quo. Getting Frank -r about the same time eliminates the Frank -b model from discussion. Whether b is better than r is moot, its that you want a in 43 period. to give that up to get the b model only makes sense if that is what the game player wishes to do, but in a competitive game it will be a poorer choice.

Pax

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 8:26:11 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Suggest anyone really interested in this discussion search for the last 5 or 6 of these and read them, they go back 10 years easily.

The ability to get Frank a in Q3Y43 and then subsequently Frank -r in mid 44 or even better. Frank -b with the same focus is Q2 '44 at best. Very few players would ever choose the latter over the former.

Frank -a in Q3Y43 is a game changer. Frank -b in Q2Y44 just maintains status quo. Getting Frank -r about the same time eliminates the Frank -b model from discussion. Whether b is better than r is moot, its that you want a in 43 period. to give that up to get the b model only makes sense if that is what the game player wishes to do, but in a competitive game it will be a poorer choice.

I find such an abuse of the industrial engine to be one of the most gamey, if not the most gamey, move in the game. Completely rips apart the balance the gamers tried to achieve, and is more disruptive than any gamey move the Allied could even do, even basing 4E bombers in China to commence strat bomb early.
Or moving restricted units across borders without paying PP. Sure, you can do it, but it’s neither historical nor balanced.

To quote mind_messing in another thread : if you want to play fantasy, play HoI.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 25
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 12:23:08 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

I find such an abuse of the industrial engine to be one of the most gamey, if not the most gamey, move in the game. Completely rips apart the balance the gamers tried to achieve, and is more disruptive than any gamey move the Allied could even do, even basing 4E bombers in China to commence strat bomb early.
Or moving restricted units across borders without paying PP. Sure, you can do it, but it’s neither historical nor balanced.

To quote mind_messing in another thread : if you want to play fantasy, play HoI.

Tried playing PDU on? Almost as if there's a setting that addresses all your concerns

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 26
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 12:31:49 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

I take it you are playing the Allies? This horse has been beaten to death in years of this forum discussions, so I suggest you refrain from "complete and utter abuse" remarks cause they give you no space to back off.

Bottomline of the beating is: there is no balance in this game from the start, Japan is going to lose against overwhelming tide of Allied material. Consequently, all the interim options are up to players and their agreement.

Specifically with R&D, paying vast amounts of supply, denying R&D to most of the other airframes, having diminishing returns, all to get a small number of key planes early is a choice each JFB is free to make. There are other choices in R&D that should not be unilateral IMO. But the number of factories put on a model is not one of them.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 27
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 1:36:16 PM   
Alfred

Actually, you aren't denying R&D for the other airframes. As it is currently designed, all Japanese players get a lot of free R&D. Each model will always become available on the "historical" date even if the player has dedicated zilch, nada, zippo R&D to it. Now if all future airframes required at least one R&D factory allocated to ensure that it becomes available on it's "historical "availability date, that would be a different thing. Then the Japanese player who concentrated all his fighter R&D on the Frank alone, might find they would never get the Shinden. That would be a real tradeoff.

Alfred

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 28
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 2:07:42 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Your game, your choice.

The game allows it, so if you wanna play ostrich, again your choice.

If you play waiting for the AC to arrive historical dates, then what is there to discuss? When Frank-b arrives 3/45 build to your hearts content. When Frank -r arrives 9/45, don't build it, or do. whatever. There isn't an either/or to discuss in your scenario. There is rarely a clear cut "this is the better AC" in any case. It is all about, in this scenario, this aircraft would be better, but in this scenario it would be this one. Then it is about which scenario you as a player feels is more commonplace, that's opinion, rarely fact. And in either case, in any game, the frequency of occurrence of either scenario can vary wildly game to game.

You wanna get up on your high horse, saddle up. But, don't bring it here. Keep your "fantasy" thoughts to yourself, and don't denigrate that which you don't know or are not capable of understanding. Oh and stop quoting others out of context.

Pax

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 29
RE: Frank r VS Frank b - 1/7/2021 3:41:05 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your game, your choice.

The game allows it, so if you wanna play ostrich, again your choice.

If you play waiting for the AC to arrive historical dates, then what is there to discuss? When Frank-b arrives 3/45 build to your hearts content. When Frank -r arrives 9/45, don't build it, or do. whatever. There isn't an either/or to discuss in your scenario. There is rarely a clear cut "this is the better AC" in any case. It is all about, in this scenario, this aircraft would be better, but in this scenario it would be this one. Then it is about which scenario you as a player feels is more commonplace, that's opinion, rarely fact. And in either case, in any game, the frequency of occurrence of either scenario can vary wildly game to game.

You wanna get up on your high horse, saddle up. But, don't bring it here. Keep your "fantasy" thoughts to yourself, and don't denigrate that which you don't know or are not capable of understanding. Oh and stop quoting others out of context.

The game allows basing 4E bombers from China ; allows 4E on naval strikes at 100ft ; on night bombing. All this without limits. How come JFB always insist on restrictions on that, because it’s way more effective than bombing from higher, or would not have been done large-scale IRL ?

The problem I have is hypocrisy. The game already gives a far better situation to Japan than real life. Between the possibility to tinker with production (abandoning construction of things less useful), the over-abundance of xAK (and TK after conversions) in regards to their actual requirements, the reduction of value of the SigInt, the ease of conquest of China without a big reinforcement by the Allies before the road closes, the ability to deplete Manchukuo of lots of troops and support (from Artillery to Armor, Base forces, Squadrons... as long as you keep that magic number of AV). Performances of the IJN/IJA planes being based on the tests by the US with better fuel. Lack of IJN/IJA cooperation problems. Better air ASW available, and setting up adequate convoys (let alone the infamous Singapore-Fusan magic highway).

The fact is, on top of all that, the Japanese industry in the game can be tinkered with in an unrealistic way. Could they magically retool the factory producing Ki-27 to produce Ki-84 ? Could they just decide to halt production in half the merchant shipyards to free more HI for aircraft & engine production ? Could they hasten the development of a plane up to a year, or even more ? Nope. Plus, as Alfred points, diverting research from the other models doesn’t push them back.

Consolidating that advantage, the IJ player may also, and many do, as I read the AARs and advices, resize squadrons to institute large training squadrons on map. Historically, IJNAF/IJAAF lacked a good training process, on the opposite of the US (and the whole Commonwealth in Canada). Elite IJ pilots were not sent back to train the future pilots, it was the veteran US ones who were rotated back.

In short, hindsight helps the IJ player much more than the Allied player, in that a lot of the historical Japan weaknesses may be covered for. Plus, avoiding mistakes which led to Midway. Yet, anytime someone comes calling that, JFB come to deride the critic and call for a « historical play ».

So, don’t come calling me on wishes for a « fantasy » when an analysis of the game shows it’s already in favor of Japan. It is a design choice by the devs, in order to still have players for that side, ok. But they balanced everything carefully, and pushing the enveloppe on some things leads to big imbalances.

And to be clear, I’ve played at least 4-5 campaigns as Japan - against the AI, yes, but I know the production system. That’s why I don’t like it - the results you can get are ahistorical and unbalanced, and there’s very little countermeasures available to the Allied player, as damaging Japan’s industry before deploying B-29 is next to impossible (unless the IJ player is grossly incompetent at managing convoys) and attrition warfare in ‘42-‘43-‘44 may in fact turn in favor of Japan.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Frank r VS Frank b Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI