Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logistics/supply problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logistics/supply problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logistics/... - 1/8/2021 4:15:23 AM   
mahaniok

So I've just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out and understand why suddenly my 10 units got "black" supply. It's funny, I got the same feeling as if I debugged a program I wrote. Usually in a game I don't need to "debug" - usually in a game it's clear what's happening.

So the game just says that units have no log points. Without explaining why. Then I have to try different logistics overlay map modes, and I initially see that units are very close to road, they get good pick up point, and the road has lots and lots of "green" logistical points. Then I needed to check carefully the whole road for bottlenecks, and I finally found a bottleneck in a tile right next to SHQ.

Unfortunately of course when this happened, my troops went hungry already. So to fix it, the only way for me was to "save scum" and to load an autosave from the previous turn to fix this by setting traffic signs and manual pull points.

Two suggestions:
1. It should be explained right on the undersupplied unit where is the bottleneck to SHQ
2. It should be clarified to the player before the turn end that next turn the units will be not supplied, so the player can fix it without having to savescum.
Post #: 1
RE: We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logist... - 1/8/2021 9:33:17 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mahaniok

So I've just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out and understand why suddenly my 10 units got "black" supply. It's funny, I got the same feeling as if I debugged a program I wrote. Usually in a game I don't need to "debug" - usually in a game it's clear what's happening.

So the game just says that units have no log points. Without explaining why. Then I have to try different logistics overlay map modes, and I initially see that units are very close to road, they get good pick up point, and the road has lots and lots of "green" logistical points. Then I needed to check carefully the whole road for bottlenecks, and I finally found a bottleneck in a tile right next to SHQ.

Unfortunately of course when this happened, my troops went hungry already. So to fix it, the only way for me was to "save scum" and to load an autosave from the previous turn to fix this by setting traffic signs and manual pull points.

Two suggestions:
1. It should be explained right on the undersupplied unit where is the bottleneck to SHQ
2. It should be clarified to the player before the turn end that next turn the units will be not supplied, so the player can fix it without having to savescum.

You can patch Bottlenecks to unit supply, by reducing the amount of supply "wasted" on zone delivieries and Zone retreival.
Also stopping any offensive actions, as they cost fuel and just about tripple ammo consumption (fuel and power seems only free towards assets, not units). Maybe even fall back a bit into more defensible terrain (so less enemy attacks happen).
Both of wich should give you plenty of time to finish the long overdue ugprade of the Logistics System.
No need to go savescumming.

The Wehrmacht in WW2 russia had no issues figuring out "hey, we are out of supplies. We need to stop advancing for a while and focus on building up infrastructure in the rear".

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/8/2021 9:35:28 AM >

(in reply to mahaniok)
Post #: 2
RE: We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logist... - 1/8/2021 11:36:56 AM   
aguvenli

Also useful is the Preview map mode in the logistics tab.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> We need better, clearer, easier way to debug logistics/supply problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI