Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 11/12/2002 3:16:30 AM   
Ivan

yeah thats what i meant :D

see i just asssumed it was Livingstone who was Winters cos everyone said Livingstone was the best actor in band of brothers. And see i thought the winters dude was the best actor so i naturally assumed he was livingstone.

make sense?:D

anyway Warriors was very good.

Suomi. Finland. Perkele.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 151
- 11/12/2002 12:35:36 PM   
Zoltar DEXTER

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]You are French Zoltar? I only ask due to your location.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hello Les,

sorry for my late answer, I am just back on line.

Yes, I am from this part of the world (the center ?) called France.

I am currently in Russia for professional purposes.

You are right Les, we should remember gallant men, the ones who stood up to fight evil. The fight against evil is a tough one, and sacrifices are usually necessary.

Zoltar

Zoltar - French Grognard exiled in Novorossiysk

"Duc in altum" - Sail to deep water

Post #: 152
Best War movie - 11/19/2002 2:07:52 PM   
Ironfist

I would have to vote for "Cross of Iron". I just bought a new copy last week. It was like $30.00 but well worth it. Sadly I just heard on the news tonight that James Coburn has died of a heartattack at age 74. Truly a great actor.
Sgt. Stiener, " Come with me Captain and I will show you how Iron crosses grow!".

Waffen Soldat Hesselbrock
11th SS Freiwilligen Nordland Div.
23rd SS PzrGdr. Reg. Norge.
7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

Post #: 153
- 11/20/2002 4:00:53 AM   
Belisarius

It's James [I]Coburn[/I]. ;) Credit where credit is due.

Truly a great actor, who will be missed. He recently rated "Cross of Iron" as one of his top 3 favourite performances.

I have to agree.

Got StuG?

Post #: 154
Unrelated war movie - 11/20/2002 5:06:28 PM   
Ironfist

Speaking of his favorites. Did you ever see him in " The Presidents' Analyst" ? Very funny movie. Exspecially at the end where the Phone company ends up being the secert government agency.:eek:

7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

Post #: 155
- 11/20/2002 7:37:43 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

So far off topic it can't even be made out with binoculars, but last night I saw Harry Potter 2.

And it made me think. There are sooooo many movies that try to be something, and do it the flashy popular way. And then there are a few that do it the right way, and they stand out so well for having done it just that way.

Compare the movie Dungeons and Dragons to the film Harry Potter 2.

With a name like Dungeons and Dragons you expect a certain type of film. After a lifetime of roleplaying games, I know, I expected a film that looked like the game, mostly.
That Dungeons and Dragons looked nothing like that game was a major disappointment. Don't get me wrong, the film was good, it was just not worth making a fuss using the name of the game on it.

There is more of the Dungeons and Dragons game in Harry Potter 2 actually. Magic, monsters, scary places, mysteries, dark forbidden secrets, nasty people. This is what I wanted when I went to see Dungeons and Dragons.

Essentially Dungeons and Dragons was more or less the same as Pearl Harbour. The battle scenes were great I am sure, how can you go wrong with all those "special effects".

Then again, I recently saw Windtalkers. The movie was based on a goood story notion, and then ruined with horribly inaccurate "special effects".

There must have been "special effects" in Harry Potter 2, but you know, I was busy being impressed with how they made the movie "look right" to notice anything that jumped out as a "special effect" (well the flying car is of course cool, but that was hardly a diffficult stunt to film I am sure).

That's why I get turned off with so many war movies that others are surprised I would slag. The film maker has essentially sold out to the lowest common denominator one to many times in the film in some cases.

I have heard many complaints about Enemy at the Gates, for accuracy this and accuracy that. I think the film was done reasonable over all. I gave it 4 out of 5 though for only one reason. The producer "sold out" when he filmed that lass pulling down her pants. Lovely bare butt she had eh, but it was grossly out of place when measured against the rest of the film.

I for one wish they would either make a movie all one way or the other. Either give me a man's war movie or a couple's war movie. But not both. I for instance will only watch Pearl Harbour if I have a woman with me. Otherwise, it will just not be worth my war movie dollar.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 156
Wayout of focus - 11/21/2002 2:28:51 AM   
Ironfist

I would have to say I aggree. Personally I liked enemy at the gate but same as you I thought the "love" scene was not needed for the story to succeed. if I were to pick the second best movie I would have to say " a Bridge too Far" also it may not have been all historically accurate but the battles and the humor made it good. Paratrooper with leg blown off, " Morphine ! I need Morphine!" Sgt. ," No you dont son. It's only a flesch wound" Paratrooper ," Really Sir ? " Sgt. " Yeah, they only give that to the really wounded.":p But I will tell you what Battle I am looking forward to seeing. The battle of Helm's Deep. "Two Towers" JRRT.
Now there's a true dungeons and dragons movie. About Pearl Habor. I think if they would have called it by any other name It would have done/been better. It didnt seem to be about pearl at all. And most the scenes were taken from "Tora, Tora, Tora" which is by far the best of the two. Maybe if they had titled it "FlyBoy's" or mabye "Those men in their flying machines" I could have enjoyed it more. Heck I thought the best part of the movie was the Battle of Britain. On a another note maybe they could have called it " American Pride". Since that seemed to be the main theme. The movie I would vote as the worst ever would be "Thin Red Line" great cast, story line to nowhere. I've seen better battles in Godzilla......:D

7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

Post #: 157
- 11/21/2002 2:38:16 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm I was wondering if any others out there shared my view that Thin Red Line sucked.

Post #: 158
Re: Wayout of focus - 11/21/2002 3:31:25 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ironfist
[B]But I will tell you what Battle I am looking forward to seeing. The battle of Helm's Deep. "Two Towers" JRRT.[/B][/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with my fellow Cincinnatian on that topic! Helm's Deep is the best chapter in an already awesome book and if "Two Towers" is as good with the special effects as "The Fellowship of the Rings" was then this movie is going to be one hell of a war movie! The second book of LOTR is all action, all the time.

Look at that. The censors didn't bleep out "hell." I hope no one has been offended.:)

Post #: 159
- 11/21/2002 3:39:49 AM   
Belisarius

As a cinematic experience and a lesson in the Art of Film, I guess Thin Red Line has some value to it. The photography is great.

As a War Movie? Sucks donkey's b*lls through a garden hose. :rolleyes: It was even boring, whatever the message was it was completely lost on me.

For special effects, let's all go back and chant about Band of Brothers some more. OK, I've not been in a war and can't really say what a grenade explosion should look like, but - there's a lot of earth-throwing stuff going on, and it looks realistic to me. Loud bang, lots of dirt flying around, less flames. I'm sick and tired of special effects depts blowing up a tanker worth of gasoline everytime a jeep blows up. :rolleyes:

Got StuG?

Post #: 160
- 11/21/2002 4:40:54 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep I am with you on that one Belasarius.

I do know what a grenade looks like going off, but I am hardly a munitions expert.

I have not fought in a war, but damnit I know what one looks like I have seen to much in documentaries.

Man have the world's film producers never watched a second of all the thousands of hours of actual combat footage?

Everytime I see a grossly fake explosion I am deeply offended. I find it insulting, I consider it the same as being told I am an ignorant doofus that would not know the real thing. I am being slated as someone that would not wish to see the actuality.

I find fake explosions to be no less offensive than excessively shallow artificial "beauties".
Grenades throwing up gouts of flame is the same as making all women live up to looking like Barbie dolls.

Post #: 161
Honesty - 11/21/2002 8:55:06 AM   
Ironfist

I think what most of Us are saying, from what I can tell is, We like Historic, Sometimes Humorious , but Honest views of events.
As military buffs, amateur historains, open minded searchers of truth. We like to view movies as a honest presception of that kind of conflict. True or personel storys with Historical facts is what makes the movies interesting unless a work of fiction. We forget that movies are the victims of the era that they are produced in. Special effects for example. Now-a days you can go all out useing Computer generated or research real locations and equipment. Back in the day I dont think anyone would have dreamed of or could afford to find real panther tanks and ect. But Needless to say. This does not take anything away from the "Great" movies themselfs. Example: Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck ? I think ?
Even tho black and white and not too many over- blown special effects. This movie gives the feel of actual hand to hand combat in north Korea. So in retrospect I think war movies in general will improve as long as good story lines with historical fact are presented. It will also depend on the message the writer/author is trying to say. Band of brothers was very good.It looked as if it were first hand experiences in battle and a good story line.Very beleaviable. but it was on cable tv. Not a true movie. In my oppinion anyways... Thin Red line did not impress me with story line, effects or any unknown truths. The one message it did give me was the futility of war ,as well as the movies' attempt to be good...

7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

Post #: 162
Longest Day... - 6/1/2003 7:40:39 PM   
Rhodan

..although I liked Midway as well, but somehow TLD is the great grand daddy of all war movies done right. Actually also one of the few movies I liked better in black/white then in technicolor.

Why? I don't know exactly, I think it has to do witht eh actors. not so much their performance ( which was incredible in it's own right) but more because of their personality. Somehow , to me, they just combined great. Lovett was the man I pictured when I read Ryan's book..and even Sean Connery with a thick (cockney?) accent was perfect. I still like watching that scene where he and his buddy (cain?) are having problems getting their bren carrier started. Or the tense situation for the US paras in the middle of hedge country with their 'clicker'. Lots and lots of details.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

Post #: 163
- 8/7/2003 7:06:48 PM   
Plodder

[I]Gallipoli[/I].I went there about 4 years ago and felt very powerful emotions for the blokes that fought and died there.The film captures those perfectly.But [I]Cross of Iron[/I] has to be up there.

Worst film? [I]Windtalkers[/I] what a load of absolute sh*te.It was almost offensive.

Post #: 164
- 8/7/2003 10:17:03 PM   
Grenadier

Having rewatched my laserdisc of "The Blue Max" I have to put it up there along with Cross of Iron and Stalingrad just for the epic battle scenes of the Ludendorf offensive and the aerial combat scenes.

I do find it vey sad and disturbing that the 2 of the prominent films that portray the German military, Cross of Iron and Blue Max, feature characters whose whole purpose is to get the respective medals, Stransky and the Iron Cross, Stachel and the Pour Le Merite. Both will do anything, including murder, to acheive their goals.

The 2 films have other parallels as well, the biggest is that they both have James Mason. In the Blue Max he portrays a general whose sole interest is to preserve the German Officer Corps from the coming defeat. In Cross of iron he portrays the war weary colonel who sees the coming defeat and welcomes it as being long overdue. In both films he is excellent as uasal and make both characters come alive.

Both films have members of the acting Schell family, Maxmillian as Stransky in Cross of Iron and Carl Schell, his brother, as von Richtofen in Blue Max

Link to my Cross of Iron article
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/cross_of_iron/default.asp
and scenarios
http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/steelpanthers/spotlight.asp

I know, shameless plug:D

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

Post #: 165
Just a thought - 8/14/2003 2:53:27 AM   
Ironfist

I was thinking today after reading the last post. I wondered if anyone has ever done a movie about the Final days in Berlin from the German soldat view? Like the last defense of the Reichstag ?
I'm sure that it would be possible to find some veterans willing to help portray the desperate struggle And maybe throw in some of the betrayal of the Allies in the post war.(ex. "Other Loses"/ Division of Germany and Berlin), Showing how the soldiers end-up under the very control of the Political system they went to Russia to fight. Oh well It's just a thought. :p

7th Kompanie 1st Zug.

Post #: 166
- 8/15/2003 7:48:58 PM   
Jimi D

Well I suppose this is as good a first post as any:

Picking "just one", I'd choose "We Were Soldiers" because I thought it was well balanced and intelligent, and it was refreshing to see an account of the Vietnam War where every American soldier is not portrayed as either a disaffected, dope-smoking black or southern-fried trailor trash. Otherwise, my list of faves includes:

Gettysburg - huge, tragic, and ultimately awe inspiring...
"General Picket! See to your division, sir!"
"General Lee. I have no division!"

Stalingrad - a German view on Paulus' bitter loss that is uncompromisingly brutal, ugly and cold...

Memphis Belle - I've always been facinated by the air war in general and the 8th in particular, and this movie is the best so far, imho...

A Bridge Too Far, Das Boot, Black Hawk Down, Zulu and Saving Private Ryan round out my list of faves... and of course, Band of Brothers is fantastic!

Post #: 167
- 8/17/2003 11:08:17 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimi D
[B]Well I suppose this is as good a first post as any:

Picking "just one", I'd choose "We Were Soldiers" because I thought it was well balanced and intelligent, and it was refreshing to see an account of the Vietnam War where every American soldier is not portrayed as either a disaffected, dope-smoking black or southern-fried trailor trash. Otherwise, my list of faves includes:
[/B][/QUOTE]

A good list of favorites, and a great first post. Welcome to the forums Jimi!

What, me worry?

Post #: 168
RE: smells like victory - 2/7/2004 1:22:11 AM   
TomBell

The best was The Longest Day. The Young Lions was good.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 169
RE: smells like victory - 3/15/2004 10:40:36 PM   
Ol_Dog

Not to disagree with most of the above, but to mention 2 others -

The Dawn Patrol

Hamburger Hill

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to TomBell)
Post #: 170
RE: smells like victory - 3/22/2004 4:42:08 PM   
kensey

The thin red line

not really a war movie but an anti war movie but
so what so is Apocalypse Now

Can't understand why it didn't get a single oscar
in the year saving private ryan got lots of it.
Has by far the better camera (malick is terrific
as a regisseur) and touches much more than simple
patriotism and horrors of war, only downpoint is that the
off comentars are a bit frumpy.

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 171
RE: smells like victory - 3/24/2004 5:14:29 AM   
Major_Mess

I don't know if this one has been mentioned .................. I know I've enjoyed it a couple of times.

Play Dirty..............with Michael Caine and ?????

Dear old Dad liked it too, said it was pretty close to how things were.

Major Mess

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 172
RE: - 4/3/2004 3:55:09 AM   
Death Method

Im gonna be cynical here for a second. BoB and Saving Private Ryan have both been mentioned numerous times. Straight up, neither of those movies represent 'realistic' combat in any sense. Remember where Tom Hanks in SPR says "That's an MG42!"...i don't know what the director (Spielberg) thinks an MG42 is...but that wasn't! Also...the scene where the germans enter the village they're trying to defend...they enter with no reconnaisance...would never happen.

BoB: The scene where Winters and his boys catch an SS troop of company size sleeping (mid-day) in an...wait for it...OPEN FIELD!! Man, i just find it so frustrating reading the history than watching Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg re-write it all, and make everyone think 'thats how it was'. Cynic off.

Now your going to be suprised by this but i would never rate a 'war 'movie' ' by its 'realism'...only by its artistic value. That being said, i would say Apocolyspe Now. That movie to this day still haunts me, Coppolla had something special there.

Interesting facts in watching making of:

-Martin Sheen really was drunk (for real) in the scene where he hits the mirror, he was also on anti-depressants of some sort (bad mix) he later had a heart attack on set.

-Coppolla wanted a Col. Kurtz that looked young and fit...and than brando shows up...
(Notice how all the shots hide Brando's frame quite a bit)...apparently a big furor errupted over this.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 173
RE: RE: - 4/3/2004 5:37:55 AM   
John David

Crap, Am I late on this one or what!

I know were only supposed to pick one, so....

1)Patton (Duh, you'd expect anything else with my Third Army Patch staring you in the face!)

1A)(hah, got around it.) Apocalypse Now!(Redux)

< Message edited by John David -- 4/3/2004 1:43:58 AM >

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to Death Method)
Post #: 174
RE: RE: - 7/10/2004 8:48:05 PM   
Roo

Not good enough to qualify for war mvie status, but best battle status for me goes to "The Battle of Pelenor Fields" from the Return of the King.

Fave war film?
Hmmm... generally I would vote for "The Pianist". Really gets to you as to why we fought in the first place. Also, love one of the last lines:
"Why the ****ing coat?"

The only film of this type that I have really not enjoyed is Pearl Harbour.

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 175
RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 8/6/2004 9:23:35 PM   
abuck

The Boys of Company C...powerful, thought provocative, and distrubing all at the same time. An all around stark look at the horrors of war. Rates even hight than full metal jacket in my opinion.

Post #: 176
RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 8/15/2004 6:25:35 AM   
parusski

"Cross of Iron". Hands down. NO DISCUSSION.

'nough said.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to abuck)
Post #: 177
RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 8/25/2004 6:21:40 AM   
terje439

Stalingrad - just a good movie that tells war as a hell and not a glorious path

Post #: 178
RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 9/16/2004 10:46:45 AM   
sacorsair

One aviation movie I did not see on here was THE BLUE MAX a WWI movie with George Peppard.

Attachment (1)

JAMES REX---Birthdays are like Boogers the more you have the harder it is to breath

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 179
RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever - 12/16/2004 8:41:24 PM   
Danny Boy

Two years later.....................

I can beat every single film that has been mentioned,...and yes...there have been some excellent choices, BUT, it's got to be Heartbreak Ridge. Superb performances from Eastwood and Van Peebles, backed up by a cast that includes the bad guy out of a James Bond film and a bunch of unheard ofs. Going to 'war' ha ha ha in Grenada.....Sorry guys just taking the Mick

Truthfully, I can't believe that out of all the posts on this subject no-one has mentioned 'Where Eagles Dare'. This definitely gets my vote. Action for 2 hours, some humour, great plot, busty bierkeller wenches, Clint, Burton, Anton Diffring (great German baddie...always), cablecars, tripwires et al. Superb!

Good Morning Vietnam IMO is not a war movie, it is a comedy drama with it's setting in Vietnam. Agreed it does highlight many a poignant subject to do with the futility of war and the idiosynchrasy of the armed forces, but a war film it isn't.

Cheers!

... "'Broadsword', stop shagging around and get on with the mission!"

(in reply to sacorsair)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI