Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/6/2020 2:28:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

T82, Manila
I moved some additional troops to the PI to lend a hand to the takedown and I have an optimistic attitude about the chances of eventually being able to clear out the south-of-Manila areas and to be able to push north and eventually overrun Manila.

Attachment (1)

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/10/2020 1:01:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

T86, Manila
This is what is going on in the PI right now. I'm creeping up on Manila but the supply levels are making that problematic. I'm thinking of making some landings on the north coast to keep the Japs from shipping some reinforcements into the AO and prevent the Jap defenders from getting away before I can kill them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 62
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/11/2020 5:21:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

T87, Rangoon
This is what is going on in Burma and the supply levels are too low for continuous operations but I can save up for the occasional attack. I've got one scheduled toward the coast. The air war is still hot as you can see from the air losses meter. I've got my fighters as far forward as I can get them with the bombers fairly close behind.

Manila Situation
I've got the PI in range of my aircraft and I'm supporting the fighting going on just south of Manila and I've got about two dozen ships bombarding every once in a while. I've got about a dozen ships in drydock getting repaired and there are approx two dozen damaged ships that I have in active service still. I'll have to do a survey of my fleet to see what's left and what condition they are in.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/11/2020 5:22:09 AM >

Post #: 63
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/11/2020 5:39:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

T87, Carriers Situation
Here's the lowdown on the carriers. I seem to have 7 of them left and 7 of them have been sunk. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 64
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/11/2020 6:07:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

T87, Ships Condition
Here's the survey of the fleet and you can see that there's only 3 BB's left with some bite and a couple that need to be repaired yet. Since doing this survey I've learned that I have some DD's that have bite too. I need to find those guys and combine them with the CV groups. I started looking up the condition of the ship but soon found it a collosal tedium.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 65
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/12/2020 12:45:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

T88, Manila
I've made a little progress in the PI and I've got several attacks scheduled and hopefully there will be a little more progress. I need to capture some more airfields and ports. EDIT: I executed the attacks and there was no more progress made.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 66
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/16/2020 10:08:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

T92, Rangoon
The fighting in Burma continues for yet another turn. It's been going on for about 2 months game time and there's no end in sight. The Indians and British cooperated to gain a hex and the Allies have moved an engineer unit into the hex. I'm sure they will follow up with at least one LCU to the same hex to protect the engineers. I haven't moved everybody yet so there's still a chance that there will be a unit to do just that. If not the engineers may be in for a bad time. I received my first P-38 ( late ) with 58 hexes for a range and I'm moving it to Canton Island as we speak. It should be on Mandanao in a turn or two. All the aircraft are green except for one bomber unit that is resting in Java.

Speaking of Java, I've been eyeballing Sumatra and Malaya and wondering how much trouble it would cause the Japs if I advanced that way as well. They would have to move some troops from somewhere to defend Singapore and that would prevent at least those troops from leaving the continent and making the fortress at Okinawa even more formidable. I've scopped out the two islands just west of Truk and saw some CD guns and two LCU's per island. Plus all the LBA that will fit on the island's airfield(s). I'm due to get the CV Intrepid next turn and I'm wondering if it can defend itself out near places like Truk. Probably not. But two CV's might do the trick. I believe I have several to choose from. Three CV's are parked west of Manila out in the middle of nowhere and I'm using them to interdict any floating traffic leaving Saigon or Haiphong or Hong Kong or the west half of the PI. They are doing a bang up job of it too. No Japanese traffic has survived the attempt to make the transit as memory serves.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/16/2020 10:09:36 PM >

Post #: 67
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/18/2020 9:08:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

Fighter Aircraft Status
I've indicated the strongest of the fighters in the image and I notice that the 24th Fighter Group near the bottom of the list has a strength of '8' which is the highest strength of them all. There are several worth '7' and three or four worth '6' but none of them are Naval fighters. The strongest Naval fighter is worth '5' and there are only three or four of them. I need to move the best fighter groups onto the carriers and move the weaker fighter squadrons to other areas to make way for the better squadrons to be moved to the front. All the aircraft are green except for one B-25 unit that's resting in the southern Celebes....it's red and needs some time to recoup it's losses and gain some supply before it can be used again.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 68
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/20/2020 4:08:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

T94, Naval Aircraft To Withdraw
I have discover to my horror that I'm going to lose the services of 6 of my best Naval Carrier-based aircraft. I need to find out if I have enough Naval aircraft besides those 6 that I can completely replace those of the 6 that are currently based on a carrier that are due to disappear in T98. I took another look at the Expected Reinforcements dialog and noticed that there are aircraft withdrawing but that there are also aircraft that enter the game that turn as well. It looks like they are due to appear on or near a carrier I'm guessing. I'll have to remember to check out the results of those complex events in T98.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 69
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/20/2020 4:45:32 PM   
larryfulkerson

T94, Manila
Here's what's going on near Manila right now. I'm considering conducting landings in the north of the PI so that I can accellerate the take down of the Island. I'm on the verge of capturing Manila itself but I've already captured enough ports and airfields that the supply situation has changed to my advantage in a significant way. If I can manage to capture Manila itself I believe that the Japs will be out of supply everywhere on the entire island. Which will help the take down to a large degree. I've decided to go for Formosa after I clear this island and then from Formosa to try to clear Okinawa which will end the war. It's September 1943 so I'm thinking that there will be time to win before the end of August of '45.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/23/2020 3:23:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

T96, Strategic Situation
This is the jump map and it shows where the hot spots are: Rangoon, Sumatra, Vietnam, the PI, and China. Karl flew a lot of his LBA on the easternmost islands to Formosa, SW China, and Okinawa. So I'm wondering what my chances of capturing those islands are now. I've got troops at Pearl that I could possibly use to assault. For instance Midway and Wake would be places I need to grab someday. I've got some fully-rested troops in the Gilbert chain that I could use on Kwajalene, Eniwetok, and Truk. These would all be in addition to where the fighting is already going on. I'm close to owning Manila. I need about double the sea cap that I have so I can move a lot more of my troops. They are starting to pile up at Pearl. I'm due to get CV Group 4 next turn so I'll have some air cover for any assaults that take place near Johnson Island looking west. I've started making B-29's [ 8 per turn, 24 already on-hand ] and I'll have some assigned to the game when the 4th Bomb Group arrives in T120. I'd like to own Tinian by then so I can start bombing the Japanese homelands with my new 118 hex range bombers. There are some 10 strategic targets in the home islands that I'd like to destroy because that will effect the Jap reinforcement rate. The news feed says there's less than 100 turns left.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 71
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 11/25/2020 9:50:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

T98, Manila
This is what's going on in the PI right now. I'm on the verge of capturing Manila and I've been marching up the west coastal road and it won't be long before I have cleared the entire island. I'm guessing about 10 more turns or so. And then it's on to Formosa.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 72
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 12/4/2020 12:24:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

T101, San Diego
It's turn 101 and I'm now receiving the BB Virginia R which is untried ( and overextended, which is curious ) and now I need to convey it to Java to help out the takedown of Sumatra. Also, I intend to use it at Singapore against the CD gun unit(s) there. If there is one or more there. I could use it to help the takedown of Okinawa as well, although I think I may have to quell Formosa first before trying to capture Okinawa because of all the LBA that Karl could amass on Formosa. I feel like I'm on the brink of clearing the PI which is a good thing because there's only 93 turns remaining in the game.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 73
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 12/7/2020 11:17:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

T103, Manila
Here's what's happening in the PI right now. Karl keeps replacing his wounded units in Manila with fresh ones and that makes the takedown take a lot longer to accomplish. I'm using my ships and bombers and I'm causing Jap losses but he seems to have an inexaustable supply of fresh units. This may take a while longer than I was counting on. Every time I move a ship I get intercepted and losses are involved. I have enough CAP to shoot down the Jap intercepters and my losses are light when I move a ship. The Japs are losing a lot of planes to my CAP.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/7/2020 11:18:07 PM >

Post #: 74
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 12/21/2020 2:25:47 PM   
larryfulkerson

T111, Manila
The takedown of Manila is taking a LOT longer than I had thought it would take. But I've cleared out the rest of the island. I need to start giving some thought to taking down Formosa next. I attempted an amphibious assault two turns ago but it went nowhere and an entire stack of LCU's was eliminated during the Jap turn. It was a disaster. I'm going to gather together all the carriers I have left and try another amphibious attack. Karl has been rotating his units at Manila to provide fresh defenders each turn so I'm having to reduce all his LCU's a few at a time and he is still in supply which makes it harder yet. I'm running out of time and I'm not at all sure that there's enough time left to takedown Okinawa after I deal with Formosa.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/21/2020 2:26:06 PM >

Post #: 75
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 12/29/2020 9:06:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

P-47's are filling up the squadrons
I started getting the P-47 back in T93 and my squadrons are filled up with them now. As you can see they are far superior to anything the Japs have. Maybe I can start winning the air war now. The air losses meter says that I've lost 7 aircraft ( and this is just the beginning of the turn ) and the Japs have lost 26. So the air war is still going on and there have been losses each turn so I know it's hot and busy. I'm still in the process of clearing the PI and bombarding Jap planes near the coast on Formosa but there's only just over 70 turns left in the game so I need to get on the stick if I'm going to be successful in taking down Okinawa.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 12/29/2020 10:09:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

T115, Manila
I finally got the PI cleared of enemy units. Now to concentrate on Formosa. And after Formosa there's just Okinawa.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/29/2020 10:10:02 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/6/2021 10:39:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

T119, Manila
I made some landings on Formosa and actually pushed inland making a good footprint for follow up in later turns. I've moved all my carriers into this AO for their CAP and so many of my DD's have sunk that I have only about 1/2 of them left, maybe 20 of them. I have only 2 BB's left and I'm down to my last 3 carriers. I've started making my attacks with a three-dot setting because I feel like I'm running out of time in this game. I need to step up the ferosity.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/7/2021 6:02:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

T120, Ellis Island
I received my first shipment of B-29's this turn. I flew them from Pearl to Ellis Island as the first step of moving to Formosa. I think I can reach Tokyo from there.....if so I'm going to start the strategic bombing of his industrial base. But on the other hand the B-29 would be fabulous to do CS with. Maybe I should try that to see what results I get.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 79
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/8/2021 5:34:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

I received Karl's T120 turn last night and I just got up from my nap and it's 11:32 already, on Friday. I was watching the playback and the thought occured to me that you guys might like to watch Karl's playback as well. So I zipped up his file and attached it to this post. My password is "password" without the quotes. Enjoy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 80
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/10/2021 4:03:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

T123, Takao, Formosa
I finally pushed my way toward the northern end of the island. A few more remnants to clean up and the island is mine. I'm going to see if I can't get the B-29's based there so I can bomb the Jap home islands or maybe soften up Okinawa for a couple of months or so to make the takedown easier. Okinawa is a fortress as you can imagine. I'll have to see what condition Tokyo is in to see which automatic victory hex is easier to capture. There's only 71 turns left to play so there's still a non-zero chance that Karl can win this game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/10/2021 4:09:09 AM >

Post #: 81
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/10/2021 4:20:02 AM   
larryfulkerson

T123, Ktarakja, Sumatra
I'm in the process of clearing the island of Sumatra whilc everything else is going on elsewhere and there's must two more hot spots and I've got some attacks scheduled. Also I'm using 2 British Regiments to do an amphibious assault on Blair Port to try to clear that island next. I can base some planes there to protect the east coast of India from invasion. I'm thinking that Karl has troops to spare and he's so sneaky that he might just try to invade somewhere on the east coast, mainly because I'm not guarding it very well yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 82
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/10/2021 4:47:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

T123, Tokyo
I made my first B-29 strike on the industry at Yokohoma and got some hits but it was very very expensive. He's turned Tokyo into a fortress and I had no idea and I lost half a squadron of my best bombers. D'oh. It's mistakes like this that's going to hand the game to Karl.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/10/2021 4:48:36 AM >

Post #: 83
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/10/2021 10:35:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

T124, Losses so far
I saw Thomas Harvey logged on yesterday and I thought I might ought to post some statistics because he's the designer and might want to know that kind of stuff. Here's the Allied losses so far:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 84
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/10/2021 11:12:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

T124, Some Ships Status
I started making a list of what carriers still exist in the game and then thought I ought to explore how many have been sunk as well. Here's what still exists and what's been sunk. Also, some stats of the late model B-25's.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 85
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/11/2021 12:08:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

T124, Some Ships Status
I captured another port and airfield so that there's only the northern end of the island left to fight over. And then the assault on Okinawa can begin.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/13/2021 8:21:05 AM   
Cfant

Hm, in Third Reich and in Into Darkness (its successor) I found, that CVs are very easily sunk. Problem seems to be, that in TOAW you can mass up hundreds of naval bombers. Attached is a picture of massed naval bombers. It is quite unhistorical that so many naval bombers attack at the same time. But even with fewer numbers: CVs are sinking in roaring numbers. Have you noticed that here too?

In Third Reich I intercepted Unternehmen Weserübung. About 70-80 naval bombers sank 6 destroyers, 2 light cruisers, 2 heavy cruisers and 1 battleship as well as 3 troop transports, at times the enemy had about 300 fighters in the air. In short: I find it too easy to sink ships from the air, especially since you have several combat rounds.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cfant -- 1/13/2021 8:42:59 AM >

Post #: 87
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/13/2021 8:24:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have noticed the same thing in PAW. Ships are way more vulnerable than they should be. I've learned to workaround it somewhat but it IS agravating. I've learned to stock the terrain along my ship's path with fighters to CAP the ships as they pass. Keep moving the fighters to cover the transit.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 88
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/13/2021 8:45:09 AM   
Cfant

Maybe marine bombers should only attack once in a turn. I somehow think a fleet would move, if attacked bei a hundred marine bombers. At least I would, if I was an admiral :D

Post #: 89
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/13/2021 10:48:41 PM   
thomasharvey

Carriers in the actual war were quite fragile with wooden decks. Some were destroyed with a single bomb or Kamikaze hit. Three Japanese carriers at Midway were set on fire to sink in only five minutes of attack. Ships in general were very vulnerable to torpedoes from any source and dive bombers could sink or heavily damage ships during only minutes of an attack.

In PAW and other scenarios it is the CAP that is lacking. During the war a CAP of 300 aircraft would be considered a very strong defense but in PAW you need over 1000 CAP. For the US fleet to repeat history in combat you must do what they did. All the carriers must go forward together close enough to support each other. One must group the carrier groups in maximum stacking of flak ships but only one or two carriers in a single hex. The carriers need more fighters on them than bombers. In the actual war the Navy made sure they had at least 50 percent of the aircraft aboard as fighters. In the early days the bombers outnumbered the fighters. All ships must be used in many groups and then repaired in between large invasions. Penny packets of ships and aircraft is a prescription for disaster.

In PAW land based aircraft is also quite useful and must be used to the maximum extent possible. Late in the war the US should be able to put up over 2000 aircraft on CAP from all sources over a single grouping of ships. Hitting Japanese airfields to reduce the potential attacks is also necessary which is what the US Navy was very good at. Nimitz even wanted B29 strikes redirected to hit airfields during the Kamikaze battles at Okinawa but I don't think that was done.

The naval attrition divider could be increased to make ships in general harder to sink from all sources but then no Midway victory would be possible. I set PAW to enable a Midway style victory if carriers are not heavily protected. In the early days the side that struck first would win. Later the US put up enough defense to make it difficult for Japanese bombers to get through.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI