Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Would the game text be open to modders?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Would the game text be open to modders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/13/2021 5:49:01 PM   
Helly0000

I can hardly find the text files so I can't make a custom translation patch of mod. Would it be opened to modders? It will allow community translation. I decompiled the game by dnSpy.exe and was happy finding out it support non-ASCII characters. But the most convenient way is to cooperate.
Post #: 1
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/13/2021 5:52:50 PM   
Helly0000

My account is too new to post a pic.

(in reply to Helly0000)
Post #: 2
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/13/2021 6:46:59 PM   
stryc

Not sure but I'd be happy to use an English translation mod if someone made one.

Okay, I'm being somewhat facetious but when you see most of the tooltips on the Actions menu looking like they've been converted from Japanese > English > Klingon > English again one cannot help but wonder.

Vic needs someone to proofread all of his stuff. It's better than it was but, Gordon H. Christ, the grammar is still shocking.

(in reply to Helly0000)
Post #: 3
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/14/2021 6:57:22 AM   
Falke

Vic has deliberately Limited what can be modded. This is due to the significant changes that have/will be made to the game. Making these while not breaking mod would be too difficult

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 4
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/14/2021 7:45:18 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

Vic has deliberately Limited what can be modded

... for the time being. This is a very important limiter. Otherwise it sounds like he never wants to allow modding.

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 5
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/14/2021 1:57:25 PM   
Helly0000

That's why I ask for cooperation. Language mod will be very easy since it is always a non-functional mod totally and an update will not break it. Just like some latest Paradox game such as HOI4.

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 6
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/14/2021 3:52:42 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Language mod will be very easy since it is always a non-functional mod totally and an update will not break it. Just like some latest Paradox game such as HOI4.

It would be very easy if those strings are actually outside the main programm.

I found Shadow Empire\Launcher\Localization for some of them. But those are only a miniscule fraction of the overall text load.
All the big stuff (Events, Stratagems) is still part of the scenario file. And he can not really move stuff out, as the whole concept of Stratagems might get another pass.

(in reply to Helly0000)
Post #: 7
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/16/2021 6:56:51 PM   
Nagabaron

A shame because modding would make this game fantastic. Modding basically extends the shelf life of a game for years or decades.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 8
RE: Would the game text be open to modders? - 1/16/2021 7:13:26 PM   
Helly0000

Vic said just be patient and wait until the structure of the program stable. His old games are great so I believe in him. And he told me on steam forum that he is looking for another way to load text files. I hope he will make it. In my experience, a Chinese translation patch will increase sales by 50% to 1000%. The last game I translated got a triple increase I guess therefore the game maker just asked me to help the official Chinese translation of his latest game.

(in reply to Nagabaron)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Would the game text be open to modders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI