Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Polish-Soviet War 1920 - map creating

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: Polish-Soviet War 1920 - map creating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Polish-Soviet War 1920 - map creating - 11/7/2020 12:56:41 PM   
Jazon

Thanks FOARP!
I finished ukraine part of the map - I had two days off work so I could entirely devote to the task - now need some rest from map doing. Insted I am doing research about forces in 1920, and thinikng about using regimental system for Poles and Bolsheviks. Map is quite big and using only divisions wouldnt be appropiate. What do you think?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 31
RE: Polish-Soviet War 1920 - map creating - 11/7/2020 12:57:40 PM   
Jazon

and southern-east corner of map:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 32
How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/14/2020 12:45:30 PM   
Jazon

Hi,
I almost finished the map for the whole scenario, but now I encountered new challenge: How to calculate soviet and polish forces into actuall game units?
For example Soviet WEST FRONT 26 may 1920 according to sources (Russian military encyclopedia)gives following numbers: 16 Infsntry divisions, 2 Cavlry Divisions, 1 Independent Inf. Brigde formed in four armies: (see attachment to see unit table). Quantity, in sources "line" quantity is given, so only front units as following: 83k bayonets /5.5k sabres / or by other sources81k bayonets and sabres alltogether; 420-460 artillery pieces / 10 armoured trains / 1.7-1.9k MGs / 15 Armoured Cars / 67 planes.
Now question is how to put it into game? Artillery seems pretty easy: each 100 guns = 10 strength artillery pieces; armoured train? One weak unit? 1 unit weak recon bombers? How to count infantry? 83k/16 divisions gives ćirca 5187 bayonets per divison...
Any advices? Maybe 1k bayonets = 1 strength point infantry 500 sabres = 1 point cavlary strength?

The other topic is how to reflect units... maybe some brigades system? Help guys, any suggestions I would welcome to consider!
Cheers!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 33
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/14/2020 11:11:44 PM   
FOARP

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about being 100% accurate here. This is especially the case when even the generals who took place in the war didn't know how many troops they had. The number of units to have on the map should be the number that will be most fun to play with.

It looks like maybe the Soviets were arranged in two main groupings (Western Front under Tukhachevsky, and South-Western Front under Yegorov) and the Soviet strength maxed out at 7-800,000 men. Two-three HQ units, four-five artillery units, 20 infantry divisions plus additional brigades ("detachments") and cavalry brigades should do it. Aim to cover the front properly more than anything else.

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 34
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/25/2020 4:51:51 PM   
Jazon

Hi, FOARP,
I totally agree that gameplay is the most important, however I got doubts, Soviet Units quantity on 26th May 1920 was 26 Infantry Divisions 7 Cavlary Divisions. It should be fine with additional units, but Poles had only 19 Divisions and 7 cavlary Brigades...I need to find a way to represent troops historically but also sufficent for gameplay. My FEAR IS THERE WILL BE NOT ENOUGH UNITS TO COVER THE MAP .Maybe I should use some brigade sistem :/
Meanwhile map is finished (raw material) just need to add specifics like weather and start deploying troops and set NM points...Loads of work still to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 35
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/26/2020 5:11:48 AM   
Jazon

Map, south-east Carpathia:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jazon -- 11/26/2020 5:13:59 AM >

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 36
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/28/2020 9:24:33 AM   
FOARP

Looks good. I think if Żywiec falls then the Polish should suffer a massive fall in morale to simulate the loss of the all-important strategic resource that is produced there!

I assume the oil plant near Jasło represents the Gamrat chemical plant?

Regarding units, as you say you can always use brigades (i.e., detachments). You can change the name the game calls them in the localisation file, though the old name is kept in the editor. You can even change corps to divisions, divisions to brigades, and detachments to regiments, and garrisons to battalions (i.e., move everything down one level) to give yourself more scope for putting more units on the map.

You could even change corps to be called "brigades" so that brigades are the largest unit, with divisions being regiments, detachments being battalions, and garrisons being independent companies. I think each Polish division had three regiments of two battalions, and so was the equivalent of two weak brigades, plus an artillery unit. This would give the Poles ~38 infantry units and ~14 Cavalry units, plus a number of artillery units and HQ units (say, corps HQ units).

You can use text of different colours to distinguish geographical features from resource tiles (the standard font used for geographical features in the game is MS Trebuchet(Italic) in yellow). Similarly, when towns are located closely together you can use offsets to stop the names covering each other.

BTW - Do yourself a favour and never change the campaign start-date after you start coding events as in my mod changing it to experiment with some events basically caused big problems - I have fixed them but I'm not going to do that again!

< Message edited by FOARP -- 11/28/2020 10:08:12 AM >

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 37
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/29/2020 8:58:00 AM   
Jazon

Hi, FOARP!
Thanks for lots of inspiring suggestions! Just yesterday I started cracking the unit system - and actually got to the conclusion that to cover the map is hould just multiply the number of units by two - so as you said, Each division should be more or less represented by two-three Units - some divisions, like Polish allies: Ukrainians and Belorussians had units named as divisions but in reality their quantity was merely a brigade, on the other hand some Polish elite units - like "Polish Legions" divisions were lead by Pilsudski handpicked officers and always received best equipment and men - they can be represented by 3 brigades for division for sure. (1st Polish Legions Infantry Division even had half-motorized regiment!). I was trying to change the name "detachment" for "Inf. brigade" in editor, now you opened my eyes I need to edit the scripts into the game...where can I found them? That would do I think, so divisions in game mechanics would represent a brigade in scenario. Also 100 guns would be an artillery unit, 50 planes a recon bomber unit, I don't know what about tanks - Poles had 120 of them but never used them as one force. Maybe I should split them in three weak companies as it was in reality? Cavlary division will also consist 2-3 regiments, For sure Budionny's Konarmia would have a Armoured car unit, as well as armored trains. I was thinking even to represent Soviet unique unit - tachanka - as a kind of hit and run light artillery.
Also I had a question: How to set sides? I put Poland as "entente" and Soviets as "central powers" in campaign settings. But I don't know how to check if they will be at WAR from the beginning of the game, and what about Germany - is it possible to set them as neutral?
Also how to mark territory which is occupied. At the beginning Poles will occupy pretty big chunk of Soviet territory - but I couldnt find in editor how to set it. I only know how to set borders, but no occupied territory...or it doesn't matter?
Oil Plant near Jaslo represent chemical industry over there - don't think it gamrat plant - this was found in 1937, but according to polish map from 1925 Jaslo had some petrochemical industry.
PS
How come you know about polish secret resources? Of course if Zywiec falls it would lead to total collapse of polish morale;)
Cheers!

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 38
Strategical resource and questions:) - 11/29/2020 9:01:29 AM   
Jazon

Its not Zywiec but refers to polish strategical resource ;)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 39
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/29/2020 10:59:02 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon

Hi, FOARP!
Thanks for lots of inspiring suggestions! Just yesterday I started cracking the unit system - and actually got to the conclusion that to cover the map is hould just multiply the number of units by two - so as you said, Each division should be more or less represented by two-three Units - some divisions, like Polish allies: Ukrainians and Belorussians had units named as divisions but in reality their quantity was merely a brigade, on the other hand some Polish elite units - like "Polish Legions" divisions were lead by Pilsudski handpicked officers and always received best equipment and men - they can be represented by 3 brigades for division for sure. (1st Polish Legions Infantry Division even had half-motorized regiment!). I was trying to change the name "detachment" for "Inf. brigade" in editor, now you opened my eyes I need to edit the scripts into the game...where can I found them?

In C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWI\Mods\[your mod] edit (or create if it isn't there, by copy the localization file from the base game) the text file called localization. Unit IDs are at line 1970. You can also change the names of resources (e.g., you can rename oil resources as "chemical plant") and rename countries here. Note that the name used in the editor won't change but the name used in the game will.

If you don't have a mod file set up I can tell you how to set it up - it's a bit complex though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon That would do I think, so divisions in game mechanics would represent a brigade in scenario. Also 100 guns would be an artillery unit, 50 planes a recon bomber unit, I don't know what about tanks - Poles had 120 of them but never used them as one force. Maybe I should split them in three weak companies as it was in reality? Cavlary division will also consist 2-3 regiments, For sure Budionny's Konarmia would have a Armoured car unit, as well as armored trains. I was thinking even to represent Soviet unique unit - tachanka - as a kind of hit and run light artillery.

Those all sound like good ideas. It is hard to create an all-new unit as a lot of things are hard-coded, but if you have time it might be possible to, say, replace the "ANZAC" unit with another units - either Polish legions or other elite infantry.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon Also I had a question: How to set sides? I put Poland as "entente" and Soviets as "central powers" in campaign settings. But I don't know how to check if they will be at WAR from the beginning of the game, and what about Germany - is it possible to set them as neutral?

You can change Germany to be a minor in the editor (campaign -> Edit Major Country IDs Data, then click on Germany and use the left-pointing arrow to remove them). You can then set them to be neutral in the Country Data interface.

To set Poland and the Soviets to be at war, assuming both are already set as major countries, got to Campaign -> Edit Country Data, select Poland and use the Belligerence interface to select the Soviet Union and tick the box. Do the same with the Soviets. Make sure that both are fully mobilised. You'll have to decide what graphics to use for Poland - I assume the French unit graphics (bitmaps/Major_02) should be a good starting point since the Poles used a version of the Adrian helmet and of course General Haller's army was entirely French-equipped.

If you want you can also change the name and flag used by the Soviets. I think #COUNTRY_ID_116 is presently set to be called "USSR" in the localisation files, but you can change this to "Soviet Russia" if you like since the USSR hadn't officially been formed in 1920. The flag can be changed by finding the relevant bitmap files, locating the USSR flag i each file, and then replacing it with the flag of Soviet Russia used in 1920. GIMP is a good freely-available graphics editing tool that you can use to create circular flags etc. of the correct size. As normal, names won't change in the editor (though the graphics will change) but will change when you load the scenario in the game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon Also how to mark territory which is occupied. At the beginning Poles will occupy pretty big chunk of Soviet territory - but I couldnt find in editor how to set it. I only know how to set borders, but no occupied territory...or it doesn't matter?

When you edit ownership in the the hex layer (i.e., the green hex) you can select the terrain you want to change, right click on the Soviet-owned territory that you want to be occupied by Poland, and set controller as Poland but owner as the Soviets.

quote:

Oil Plant near Jaslo represent chemical industry over there - don't think it gamrat plant - this was found in 1937, but according to polish map from 1925 Jaslo had some petrochemical industry.
PS
How come you know about polish secret resources? Of course if Zywiec falls it would lead to total collapse of polish morale;)
Cheers!

I have a spy on the inside ;)

quote:

Its not Zywiec but refers to polish strategical resource ;)

Those pictures would be great for a pop-up event BTW!

< Message edited by FOARP -- 11/29/2020 11:44:39 AM >

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 40
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 11/30/2020 8:58:55 AM   
stockwellpete

I am following this project with great interest.

I see that you have a preliminary list of possible event scripts for the mod and I would like to flag up another possibility around the major disagreements within the Soviet government about how to conduct the war against Poland, particularly the question of whether the Red Army should have marched on Warsaw once the Poles had been driven out of Soviet territory. Lenin and Trotsky were on opposite sides of this argument and Lenin subsequently admitted that he was wrong and Trotsky was correct in arguing that the Red Army should not have advanced on Warsaw. Stalin also appears in this story and bears significant responsibility for the defeat of the Soviet offensive.

This section of Cliff's Volume 2 biography of Trotsky "The Sword of the Revolution" is worth a quick read . . .

The march on Warsaw

"Another strategic question on which Trotsky found himself in conflict with Lenin and initially in a minority in the Politburo was the march on Warsaw.

On 25 April 1920 Poland started a military offensive against Soviet Russia and invaded the Ukraine. The Polish troops advanced rapidly. On 6 May they entered Kiev, capital of the Ukraine, and occupied the whole of the western part of the country. On 26 May the Soviet counter-offensive started and on 5 June Budenny’s Red cavalry broke through. On 12 June the Poles evacuated Kiev, and afterwards they were quickly pushed back to the border with Poland.

Up to this point, so long as the war was defensive, there were no differences between Trotsky and the rest of the party leadership regarding its conduct. Now the question was posed: should the Red Army go on to invade and occupy Poland. Lenin said ‘Yes’, Trotsky ‘No’. Lenin’s enthusiasm was fired by the desire to encourage the revolution in Germany. The march on Warsaw was to effect a junction between the Russian and German revolutions. He wanted ‘to probe Europe with the bayonets of the Red Army’. [33] This wish reflected Lenin’s anguish at the isolation of the Russian revolution and his desire to break out of it. The majority of the party leadership on the whole sided with Lenin. Stalin, who showed no enthusiasm for the war on Poland so long as it was not going too well [34], now, as a result of success, became quite euphoric.

The Polish Communist leaders were split. Dzerzhinsky, Markhlevsky and above all Radek argued against the Soviet advance into Poland. Unschlicht, Lensky and Bobinsky took the opposite standpoint. Lenin showed no hesitation. Indeed, so long as the Polish war was progressing favourably his confidence increased. On 17 July he forced on the politburo, without much difficulty, a decision that the Red Army should march on to Warsaw. He overruled Trotsky’s advice, proffered on behalf of the supreme command, that the offensive be halted. Lenin carried the five other members of the politburo with him.

Lenin’s policy turned out to be wrong and costly. Radek argued that the Red Army would not be welcomed by the workers and peasants of Poland. Trotsky agreed with Radek. On 15 August the Soviet troops were beaten at the gates of Warsaw and were rapidly pushed back 400 kilometres, out of Polish territory.

There were other factors that played a part in this Soviet defeat. For instance, there was an astonishing absence of co-ordination between the Soviet western and south-western commands: despite an order to the south-western command on 13 August to join the western front it played no significant part in the battle at all. Trotsky’s explanation for the behaviour of the south-western command was simple and convincing: the private ambitions of Stalin, political commissar of the south-western army. Stalin was jealous of Tukhachevsky, the former Tsarist officer who commanded the western army, and of his political commissar, Smilga. Not willing to be overshadowed by their success, he wanted at all costs to capture Lvov at the same time as Tukhachevsky and Smilga entered Warsaw.

Stalin was waging his own war. When the danger to Tukhachevsky’s army became clearly evident, and the commander-in-chief ordered the south-western front to shift its direction sharply toward Zamostye-Tomashev, in order to strike at the flanks of the Polish troops and Warsaw, the command of the south-western front, encouraged by Stalin, continued to move to the west: Was it not more important to take possession of Lvov itself than to help ‘others’ to take Warsaw? For three or four days our general staff could not secure the execution of this order. Only after repeated demands, reinforced by threats, did the south-western command change direction, but by then the delay of several days had already played its fatal role. On 16 August the Poles took the counter-offensive and forced our troops to roll back. If Stalin and Voroshilov and the illiterate Budenny had not had their own war’ in Galicia and the Red cavalry had been at Lublin in time, the Red Army would not have suffered the disaster. [35 Trotsky on Stalin]

The whole concept of the march on Warsaw was a political mistake. After its failure Lenin said: Our offensive, our too swift advance almost as far as Warsaw, was undoubtedly a mistake.’ [36] The Poles were bound to see in this invasion an attack by their hereditary enemies. Lenin was not one to hide his mistakes. He told Klara Zetkin:

In the Red Army the Poles saw enemies, not brothers and liberators ... The revolution in Poland which we counted on did not take place. The workers and peasants, deceived by Pilsudski and Daszynski, defended their class enemy and let our brave Red soldiers starve, ambushed them, and beat them to death ... Radek predicted how it would turn out. He warned us. I was very angry and accused him of ‘defeatism’ ... But he was right in his main contention. [37]

In retrospect Trotsky compared the difference between himself and Lenin over the march on Warsaw with those over the Brest-Litovsk treaty, and he drew a sharp lesson from the mistakes made in both cases:

In contrast with the Brest-Litovsk period, the roles had been completely reversed. Then it was I who demanded that the signing of the peace be delayed: that even at the price of losing some territory, we give the German proletariat time to understand the situation and get in its word. Now it was Lenin who demanded that our army continue its advance and give the Polish proletariat time to appraise the situation and rise up in arms. The Polish war confirmed from the opposite side what was demonstrated by the Brest-Litovsk war: that the events of war and those of the revolutionary mass movement are measured by different yardsticks. Where the action of armies is measured by days and weeks, the movement of masses of people is usually reckoned in months and years. If this difference in tempo is not taken fully into account, the gears of war will only break the teeth of the revolutionary gears, instead of setting them in motion. At any rate, that is what happened in the short Brest-Litovsk war and in the great Polish war. We passed over and beyond our own victory to a heavy defeat. [38]

Thus we have seen that Trotsky and Lenin disagreed on four strategic issues: the first the war against Kolchak on the eastern front, the second the war against Denikin on the southern front, the third the war against Iudenich outside Petrograd, and finally the march on Warsaw. On all except the first Trotsky was proved right. In passing, let us imagine what the Stalinists would have made of it had it been Trotsky who had suggested withdrawal from Petrograd. Clear proof of defeatism, even treason, they would have claimed. Whereas if Trotsky, not Lenin, had proposed the march on Warsaw, this would have been cited as evidence of the folly of the theory of permanent revolution and Trotsky’s ‘Bonapartist’ plans to export revolution by arms."

https://www.marxists.org/archive/cliff/works/1990/trotsky2/08-disputes.html#p4

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 41
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/2/2020 9:44:29 AM   
Jazon

Hi guys,
thanks for your quick reply and feedback.
Thanks FOARP for patience in explaining me how to set sides, and occupied territory - I already adjusted the scenario, and even gave it a "dry run" with units I placed on the north Front.But I got more questions:
1. How to set NM objectives for both sides? Like goals for soviets and goals for Poles - where can I found it in editor? Or I need to write script for that?
2. How to set a mini map for this scenario? When I run the game "dry" it used the mini map for main game.
3. Is it possible to set convoys only on land? I made an Island for GB and France on Baltic that i want to use as a convoy path to Free City of Gdansk - it will reflect the Entente sending supplies to Poles - but as in history I want to make a choose for Soviets to use their agents to provoke a strike in Gdansk docks, that will block this source of supply for Poles. This event took place in history, with "Hands off Russia"slogan. Therefore Poles relied only on supply transport through Romania - hence I want to make a convoy route along railroad from Romania going to Poland - that would make it an objective for soviets, to cut off this supply line.
4 How to make a minor for Poland? I want to make Ukrainians as a minor ally of Poles (Petlura) with capital in Kamyenets Podolski. But also need to set they will not give up even if their temporary capital is lost.
5 MOD file...havent get into it yet...first I want to make a scenario based game, then when I feel more confident add MOD units, or change game play.
6 How to set partisans - both sides had partisans fighting for either side.

Stockwellpete - the issue you brought up will be represent in the game but still donno how - I need to figure out how to set objectives for AI, then I can think how to implement it. Lack of unity was one of the main reasons of Soviet defeat so it would be appropriate to reflect it into game play somehow.
I will write more later about other ideas and the work I did yesterday, but now I am at work xD
Cheers guys!

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 42
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/4/2020 2:48:36 PM   
FOARP

quote:

Hi guys,
thanks for your quick reply and feedback.
Thanks FOARP for patience in explaining me how to set sides, and occupied territory - I already adjusted the scenario, and even gave it a "dry run" with units I placed on the north Front.But I got more questions:
1. How to set NM objectives for both sides? Like goals for soviets and goals for Poles - where can I found it in editor? Or I need to write script for that?

NM goals are set using events (Campaign -> edit event scripts -> select events -> National Morale -> Open/Edit). You need to code an event, to do this you need to know the XY co-ordinates of the city that you wish to be an NM objective. Here's a sample event:

{
#NAME= Mexico: The Fall of Mexico City
#POPUP= Mexican Morale Falls Greatly (5000NM) Due To The Loss Of Mexico City
#IMAGE= 
#SOUND= 
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
; Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
; Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 68
#TRIGGER= 100
; Set how many NM points should be gained or lost over X turns
#NM_UPDOWN= -5000
#NM_TURNS= 1
#DATE= 1914/08/01
#OBJECTIVE_TEXT_POSITION= 195,144
; Set alignment position and controller's political alignment:
; Mexico City is in Central Powers hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 195,144 [1]
; Set variable conditions:
; 1st Line - Mexico politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 68 [2] [100] [0]
; Dummy condition position (always satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [0,0] [0] [0]
}

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon 2. How to set a mini map for this scenario? When I run the game "dry" it used the mini map for main game.

I don't have this issue (my minimap comes up as the game map). This may be because I have a mod folder set up.

The base game includes an image file called mini_map.png in the C:\Users\[Your name]\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWI\Campaigns\[Your Campaign name]\Interface folder, and it may be that creating this file/folder in your mod will fix the problem.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon 3. Is it possible to set convoys only on land? I made an Island for GB and France on Baltic that i want to use as a convoy path to Free City of Gdansk - it will reflect the Entente sending supplies to Poles - but as in history I want to make a choose for Soviets to use their agents to provoke a strike in Gdansk docks, that will block this source of supply for Poles. This event took place in history, with "Hands off Russia"slogan. Therefore Poles relied only on supply transport through Romania - hence I want to make a convoy route along railroad from Romania going to Poland - that would make it an objective for soviets, to cut off this supply line.

Yes. To create a convoy you need to create a convoy event (Campaign -> edit event scripts -> select events -> Convoy -> Open/Edit). Here's a sample event:

{
#NAME= Mexico Supplies the CSA
#POPUP= 
#IMAGE= 
#SOUND= 
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
;Set global variable condition to always trigger (dummy value)
#GV= 1[1,100]
;Set link value to always trigger (dummy value)
#LINK= 0[0]
#SENDER_ID= 68
#RECIPIENT_ID= 120
#SENDER_ID_TRIGGER= 100
#RECIPIENT_ID_TRIGGER= 100
#PERCENTAGE= 10
#MAX_PERCENTAGE= 10
#SPRING_REDUCTION= 100
#SUMMER_REDUCTION= 100
#FALL_REDUCTION= 100
#WINTER_REDUCTION= 100
#SOURCE_PORT= 208,145
#DESTINATION_PORT= 231,110
#WAYPOINT= 228,135
#WAYPOINT= 233,132
#WAYPOINT= 233,111
}

The "port" can be any resource and the waypoints can be on land. To switch a convoy route "on" you can use the #LINK= DECISION EVENT NUMBER[1 OR 0] script. The game will stop convoys that travel through ports damaged to below 5, or which are blocked, and search for an alternative route between the two countries. I THINK that the game selects alternative routes in the order they are given in the CONVOY file but I haven't tested this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon 4. How to make a minor for Poland? I want to make Ukrainians as a minor ally of Poles (Petlura) with capital in Kamyenets Podolski. But also need to set they will not give up even if their temporary capital is lost.

Campaign -> Edit Country Data -> Select Ukraine -> Set alignment to Entente -> Select Poland as Entente Parent -> set status to mobilised -> Select Kamyenets Podolski (and additional cities if desired) as capital.

If you want Ukraine to never give up even after all its major cities are taken this is hard to do without adding an additional capital e.g., in the Baltic or somewhere else the Reds can't get. However, I understand its possible to set a country to give its surviving units to its parent major power rather than them all disappearing after the minor surrenders. This is set in the "Free Units" events file (it took me a while to realise that "Free" here is meant as in "Free France"). Here's the script the base game uses for Belgium:

{
#NAME= Free Belgian Units
#POPUP= 
#IMAGE= 
#SOUND= 
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 10
#RECIPIENT_ID= 112
#TRIGGER= 100
#LAND_PERCENTAGE= 100
#NAVAL_PERCENTAGE= 100
}

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon 5. MOD file...havent get into it yet...first I want to make a scenario based game, then when I feel more confident add MOD units, or change game play.

It might be useful.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon 6 How to set partisans - both sides had partisans fighting for either side.

Partisans are set using events. You need to know the XY coordinate of the resource that you want to spawn partisans. Here's an example event:

{
#NAME= Bushwacker Activity In Louisville
#POPUP= Bushwacker Activity In Louisville
#IMAGE= 
#SOUND= 
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 120
#TRIGGER= 15
#PARTISAN_FLAG= 3
#ADD_UNIT= 1
#DISRUPTION_RANGE= 2
#MAP_POSITION= 243,80
}

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon Stockwellpete - the issue you brought up will be represent in the game but still donno how - I need to figure out how to set objectives for AI, then I can think how to implement it. Lack of unity was one of the main reasons of Soviet defeat so it would be appropriate to reflect it into game play somehow.
I will write more later about other ideas and the work I did yesterday, but now I am at work xD
Cheers guys!

You can use events in the Strength file to create events that lower Soviet morale in units within a certain area. For example you can create "Soviet disunity" events that lower morale in Soviet units by e.g. 10% over the whole map (by setting the range to be high) or just in part of the map (e.g., within 10 hexes of a specific location). Here's an event from the base game that lowers morale for the French Army:

{
#NAME= French Army Mutinies
#POPUP= <<TAG_6>>
#IMAGE= 
#SOUND= coup.ogg
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 3
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 2[1]
#COUNTRY_ID= 45
#FLAG_ID= 40
#TRIGGER= 4
#SEASON_FLAG= 0
#DATE= 1914/08/01
;Set variable conditions:
; 1st Line - France politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 40 [2] [100] [0]
;Dummy condition position (always satisfied)
;Source of strength/morale loss for units of 'alignment' in range
#MAP_POSITION= 151,84 [20,20] [0,0] [-25,-35] [2] [40]
}

Please feel happy to ask if you have any further questions.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 43
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/9/2020 7:29:48 AM   
Jazon

Hi FOARP!
Thank you again for your reply, and explanation how to write scripts. I think I more or less got it - just remember some old computer classes back in 2000s in Poland ;)
However I am struggling with understanding how to establish those scripts:
1. Do I need to wipe the scripts clean? In my case I got campaign folder established, and there are already written scripts for the main game - should I remove them, and leave only the beginning of the script with countries data, etc? My map is different than the original one so all the scripts are shown as full of errors in the editor. Is this the cause for this?
2. After I will write new script, for example for convoys, how to be sure it is saved, and working? There are two buttons for update in the editor one with * and one without. Even if I update and later try to save my work in editor there is a pop-up that scripts consist errors and it sends me back to the editing scripts....So maybe I should erase all default scripts for original game?
3. I established MOD folder and copy my campaign to it, later launched game as hot-seat to check it up, but still the mini map is this from main game...can I replace it "manually"in any way?
Can you give me a hint how to proper establish MOD file?
4 For convoy script if I write the event for supplying properly will the arrows with convoy route appear on the map during the game? Or should I mark them in the editor?
5 I am experimenting with France supplies Poland event, but "France Island" doesn't produce almost any MPPs. How to fix that?
6 This question is tied with the latter, How to manually edit "military production" MPPs not reflected with resources on a map? I need to boost up Soviets MPPs, at the beginning of the game they collect only some scraps - because map range only to Smolensk and Kiev.
7 More complicated thing to solve - Silesia - during Polish-Soviet war in 1920 its territory was occupied by Entante forces in the name of League of nations. I want to mark it on a map as a plebiscite area and make an event for Polish player - support the Silesian uprising. Any ideas?
I know those questions sound stupid but yesterday I spent few hours getting familiar with this script writing and got no success, so need to ask for help:)
Also I did some "dry" game just for one week(turns are daily) and just from that I can assure all who are supporting this project this scenario will be far more dynamic than those from western front, and as in real events Cavalry, maneuver and rapid attacks will be paying main role in fighting instead of artillery barrages and trenches.
Jazon
PS
Does anyone has any intel, info about which soviet units were "elite" in this conflict? About Poles I got plenty of resources, and it will be reflected in the game play. For example Poles from ex-german army formed in four divisions will have basic 1 star experience and 3rd level infantry weapons. Poles who came from France and also were formed in four divisions will have 3rd level inf. weapons but no experience value. Three divisions of "Polish Legions" 1, 2, 3 rd will have 3rd level inf weapons and 1.5 experience. Other first line Inf divisions will have 0.5 experience and inf weapons level 2. The back units, garrisons and reserve formations deep back in polish territory will have inf weapons level 1 and no experience. Cavalry brigades will have inf weapons level 2 and 1 experience. Poles will have 2 armored trains, 6 air units (including international squadron which will have extra 1.5 experience - because it was recruited among western pilots with vast experience from western front). BTW did you know one of those pilots, Meriam cooper was the director of the King Kong movie? That's for now - how many HQs I din't make it yet 100% so far it is Army HQs for both sides.
But about soviets -...don't know much. According to prof. Andrzej Chwalba 2020 book "the most devastating for Poles were...Red Cavalrymen. All polish Army was trained to fight based on the great war experience, but in the east with vast spaces and minor forces commanders needed to rely on maneuver and rapid attacks instead of firepower. Izaak Babel also wrote about that in his famous memories form KonArmia (1 st Calvary Army). Also in the north Gai-Chan Calvary Corps were feared by Poles so I will give all Red Calvary units 1 experience, second level inf weapons and 10% demoralization bonus.
Other things I already set is that both side will have trench warfare on level 1 - not because they weren't familiar with it, but because they couldn't just set it - there was lack of barbed wire, landmines, and concrete to build anything similar to West Front fortifications.
Any suggestions are welcome, and please help me with scripts so in few months we can all enjoy this scenario:)
Thanks!

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 44
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/9/2020 9:30:12 AM   
BillRunacre

Hi Jazon

1. Yes, you will need to remove any scripts from the main game.

Having done this, it should resolve 2. for you.

4. Yes, the convoy appears once the script is correct, there is no need to draw any symbols on the map.

5. Is France's mobilization level 0%? If so then it will need to be set to something higher in order to produce MPPs.

6. You can either add lots of Mines or Oil on the eastern edge of the map, or use a dummy DECISION event to provide them with MPPs every turn. This is one that doesn't have any text in the #MESSAGE= field.

Here's an example from the original game:

{
#NAME= France: Dummy - Supply Shipments To Serbia (DE - 250)
#POPUP=
#MESSAGE=
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 2
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 40
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
;Set decision value (first internally stored decision)
#DECISION= 250
;Set how many MPPs should be collected over X turns if player selects 'yes' (dummy values)
#MPP_UPDOWN= 0
#MPP_TURNS= 0
#MPP_TEXT= <<TAG_8>>
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION=
;Set AI acceptance % (AI will accept 100% of the time)
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1914/08/01
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 177,197,213
; Cetinje is in Entente hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 184,100 [2]
; Pec is in Entente hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 186,99 [2]
; Pristina is in Entente hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 188,99 [2]
;Set National Morale Trigger (dummy value)
#NATIONAL_MORALE_TRIGGER= 0 [0]
; 1st Line - France politically aligned with Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 40 [2] [100] [0]
; 2nd Line - Serbia politically aligned with Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 94 [2] [100] [0]
}

7. You can have Silesia start as a neutral area, perhaps belonging to France? Then use a TERRITORY script to transfer it to Poland.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 45
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/9/2020 10:15:41 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

Does anyone has any intel, info about which soviet units were "elite" in this conflict? About Poles I got plenty of resources, and it will be reflected in the game play. For example Poles from ex-german army formed in four divisions will have basic 1 star experience and 3rd level infantry weapons. Poles who came from France and also were formed in four divisions will have 3rd level inf. weapons but no experience value. Three divisions of "Polish Legions" 1, 2, 3 rd will have 3rd level inf weapons and 1.5 experience. Other first line Inf divisions will have 0.5 experience and inf weapons level 2. The back units, garrisons and reserve formations deep back in polish territory will have inf weapons level 1 and no experience. Cavalry brigades will have inf weapons level 2 and 1 experience. Poles will have 2 armored trains, 6 air units (including international squadron which will have extra 1.5 experience - because it was recruited among western pilots with vast experience from western front). BTW did you know one of those pilots, Meriam cooper was the director of the King Kong movie? That's for now - how many HQs I din't make it yet 100% so far it is Army HQs for both sides.
But about soviets -...don't know much. According to prof. Andrzej Chwalba 2020 book "the most devastating for Poles were...Red Cavalrymen. All polish Army was trained to fight based on the great war experience, but in the east with vast spaces and minor forces commanders needed to rely on maneuver and rapid attacks instead of firepower. Izaak Babel also wrote about that in his famous memories form KonArmia (1 st Calvary Army). Also in the north Gai-Chan Calvary Corps were feared by Poles so I will give all Red Calvary units 1 experience, second level inf weapons and 10% demoralization bonus.
Other things I already set is that both side will have trench warfare on level 1 - not because they weren't familiar with it, but because they couldn't just set it - there was lack of barbed wire, landmines, and concrete to build anything similar to West Front fortifications.
Any suggestions are welcome, and please help me with scripts so in few months we can all enjoy this scenario:)
Thanks!

I have just booted up AEGOD's "Revolution Under Siege", which has a Soviet-Polish War official scenario. Do you have all the starting positions of the Soviet army? Or is it helpful for me to type them out for you? For example, the 16th Red Army started the conflict at Rogachev. It was led by Sollogub and consisted of 8th, 10th, 17th, 29th and 57th Fusiliers. The Western Front Reserve was based at Vitebsk and had the 15th Cavalry Division, a squadron of armoured cars and an armoured train. Do you have this sort of information already? I can break the units down a further level if required too. So the 29th Fusiliers at Rogachev are made up of 6 infantry elements, 1 cavalry and 2 artillery (the guns are 105mm).

Let me know if this information might be helpful. Most of the units I have quickly looked at are standard infantry rather than elite. The obvious elite infantry regiment to think about is the Latvian Rifles, but they would have been involved in Latvia at this time, I would think.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 46
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/9/2020 4:01:32 PM   
Jazon

Thanks Stockwellpete for fast reply!
I got pretty good maps about unit deploment in each stage of the conflict, also I read already two books about the war by polish historians. I plan to read One book I downloaded by Belarussian historian and Tuchachevskiy journals from this era, maybe I will find sthg inspiring.[ I can read russian in original - actually I lived one year in Sankt Petersburg - long story].
Also I base on one hobbyst webpage in Russian made by true enthusiast, also gave me some insight from russian side.
Anyway I got the lists of units, their quantity - more or less, but need some more information about Soviet troops, so far things I want to reflect will be the armoured trains, armoured cars, Red Cavalary demoralization bonus. Also according to polish historians Soviet Generals - Gai-Chan from 3rd cavlary Corps and Cork from 15th Army were outstanding commanders and I will give them high quality mark.
Yes, Latvian Rifles <facepalm> now I remember, I heard Marck Painter's podcast about Russian Revolution, and he several times mentioned they were elite units amongs reds. But I dont think they were engaged in combat wth Poles - or I am wrong?
I use this map for this scenario - starting date is 26th May 1920.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/9/2020 6:42:44 PM   
stockwellpete

OK. It sounds like you have got most of the info that you need. Another reference that might be useful to you is Trotsky's Military Writings Volume 3 from 1920, which deals with the war against Poland starting from page 86 . . .

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/military-pdf/Military-Writings-Trotsky-v3.pdf

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 48
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/13/2020 5:54:04 AM   
Jazon

Hi,
it's me again.As you might expect I met another obstacle. But first Thank You very much FOARP for advise - i removed original scripts and started doing my own. They work!

I set the ""military income for Soviets - also for AI. I set income for France also no problems. Problem is with convoys - I can set a convoy from "French Island" to polish port in Hel - it works, but actually its historically inaccurate BIG time, cause the only port big enough that could be used to sent supplies by sea to Poland was -Gdansk/Danzig - a Free City set by League of Nations.And here the story begins: when I set any mainland(not coastal) polish city as a DESTINATION PORT in scripts error comes up, saying 18, 42 (Warsaw) is not a RESOURCE or Settlment》》Major Fortress.I think if the convoy starts on land it need to finish on land, starts from port it starts from port.Or maybe I need to change something in Warsawa settings? It is a Primary supply center, industrial center as well.) This convoy of course have waypoints set to go through Danzig Port.

I set another script "France supplies Poland through Romania" - from Chernovitz (Romanian city) to (Kolomya Polish town) - no problems with that. However it doesn't work because Romania is neutral... I changed Romania to be part of Entente with 38% mobilization - still not working...:( Is it actually possible in the game code to send convoys from neutral countries to any of fighting side? If so, how to do it? Maybe it would work to solve Danzig problem, that France would send it help first to Danzig and then by another script Danzig sent to Poland?
This would be able to be stopped by the Reds - there will be decision to choose for Soviet Player to spend some MPPs on propaganda and sabotage - that would provoke a strike in Danzig port - and damage it - so the convoy would stop for a few turns)
Another thing - I established Ukrainian Republic (Petlura) with capital in Kamenets Podolski - however it was just a small town, I needed to turn it into "capital" resource in order to establish a capital for Ukraine...Also when I set Ukraine as a "child" of Poland I cant change its research - which I have to because Petlura was equipped by Poles actually pretty good,but I can only give Ukrainians Level 1 units...
Basically three questions:
1.Convoys - Destination Port must be a "Resource" - what does it mean?
2 Does Neutral states can send convoys for fighting countries? Or they need to be set as a part of the fighting block?
3 How to set a junior Ally research level? I thought it would be automatically done as Bulgaria for Germany in main game.

Thanks for support guys!

Post #: 49
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/13/2020 4:29:05 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Jazon

1. Convoys have to either be all at sea, and therefore start and end with a Port, or be all on land and start and end with a Town/City/Capital.

If you make the actual Port of Danzig part of Poland, but keep the city as neutral then that should work. Otherwise having the convoy go to Hel is probably best.

2. Yes, I would recommend using examples from the 1914 Call to Arms campaign, as we have them in there, e.g. from Russia via a neutral Romania to Serbia, among others.

But when I say neutral I am just saying that it isn't at war, i.e. its Mobilization is less than 100%. That is different from it being totally neutral, i.e. not aligned to either side.

3. A Minors research level is always determined by its controlling Majors, e.g. Bulgaria can have what Germany has.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 50
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/16/2020 9:48:50 AM   
Jazon

Thank You Bill!
I already started to implement the solutions you gave me!
Actually editing scripts is hell of a work! Fortunately there are so many scripts in the basic game I don't need to invent anything, just need to find a similar one and edit it :)
Anybody got any ideas for decisions or special events for this scenario are welcome.
Cheers everyone!

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 51
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/16/2020 8:18:41 PM   
stockwellpete

quote:

Does anyone has any intel, info about which soviet units were "elite" in this conflict?

The 25th Rifle Division, sometimes named after its first leader, Chapayev, was an elite Soviet division that fought in this war. It also had some Chinese soldiers in its ranks, as did the elite 1st Cavalry Army of Budyonny that fought against the Poles. It had about 500 Chinese cavalrymen in total.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 52
RE: How to calculate Red Army strength? - 12/17/2020 6:45:05 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

Anybody got any ideas for decisions or special events for this scenario are welcome.

1) The decision to continue the war and invade Poland was a controversial one . . .

"The Polish Communist leaders were split. Dzerzhinsky, Markhlevsky and above all Radek argued against the Soviet advance into Poland. Unschlicht, Lensky and Bobinsky took the opposite standpoint. Lenin showed no hesitation. Indeed, so long as the Polish war was progressing favourably his confidence increased. On 17 July he forced on the politburo, without much difficulty, a decision that the Red Army should march on to Warsaw. He overruled Trotsky’s advice, proffered on behalf of the supreme command, that the offensive be halted. Lenin carried the five other members of the politburo with him."

So you could have a decision here where the Red Army halts on the Polish border instead of continuing the attack. This could develop into an "alternative history" development, including the possibilities that the war might end there and then (smaller chance), or that there would be a brief interlude (2-3 weeks) before the Polish forces regrouped somewhat and counter-attacked (larger chance). You could also have the Red Army sending agitators into Warsaw to link up with Polish communists and other working class militants leading to strikes and demonstrations.

2) Another hypothetical possibility. The disputes among the Soviet leadership were not so severe. Stalin was unable to divert the South Western front towards Lvov and the Red Army was able to concentrate its forces more effectively for the assault on Warsaw. According to Trotsky,

"Stalin was waging his own war. When the danger to Tukhachevsky’s army became clearly evident, and the commander-in-chief ordered the south-western front to shift its direction sharply toward Zamostye-Tomashev, in order to strike at the flanks of the Polish troops and Warsaw, the command of the south-western front, encouraged by Stalin, continued to move to the west: Was it not more important to take possession of Lvov itself than to help ‘others’ to take Warsaw? For three or four days our general staff could not secure the execution of this order. Only after repeated demands, reinforced by threats, did the south-western command change direction, but by then the delay of several days had already played its fatal role. On 16 August the Poles took the counter-offensive and forced our troops to roll back. If Stalin and Voroshilov and the illiterate Budenny had not had their own war’ in Galicia and the Red cavalry had been at Lublin in time, the Red Army would not have suffered the disaster."

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 53
Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/17/2020 11:55:16 AM   
Jazon

Hi guys!
First of all thanks everyone for support and comments about this project.
To be brief I will ask and answer in three points:

1 HELP - i scripted national morale events - capturing/loosing an objective such a town. I used existing scripts for capturing an object, and edited it. Editor after update showed it is ok. I tested on Bobrujsk [ capture of Bobrujsk boosts Soviet morale], run hot seat game, and let soviets take it. At the end of Soviet turn there is a nice POP-UP with the text I edited, change of morale etc. Nice, and smooth as it should be. And then when its switched to Polish turn suddenly appeared an ERROR window: “FAILED(handle_splash_summaries) No such file directory." Please tell me if you know what does it mean? I am almost sure i edited script correctly. Do I need to script an "Bobrujsk lost" script for Poles to? So it may appear in polish turn? Or does the alternate turn system i use for this scenario have anything in common in this case?

2 Stockwellpete: Thanks! I already made Budionny Army with special advantages: level 2 inf weapons, 1 star experience each, also all soviet cavalry have 10% demoralization bonus. Konarmia also have one weak artillery unit, armored train, armored car and Budionny on level 5 skill (although he wasn't very bright he was good at keeping high morale)
25th Chapayev Division - I will make it an experienced one with 1.5 Star experience and level 2 inf weapons.

3. Decisions: Stockwellpete those two events you mentioned are great to write in scripts for Soviet AI player, like Southern front will concentrate on attack towards Lvov.
About holding an offensive by Soviets - that's interesting path but I wonder how to reflect it into game play - the aim of the game is to fight:) But I can imagine there could be some political chooses - if soviets would stop before they reached Central Poland it wouldn't trigger also massive support for war into Poland as it was in history - so many events like forming volonteers army would never happen. However aim of this scenario is to reflect the battle.

For sure I want to put the lack of coordination between both soviet fronts into game play - which would be easy for AI i guess but how to make it for human player?

Cheers everyone!

Post #: 54
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/18/2020 12:54:16 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Jazon,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and unfortunately this is one of those errors that I really won't be able to know what is causing it without looking at the issue first hand. Is it possible for you to send me a copy of your customized campaign, including the subfolder for the campaign as well as a saved turn with instructions on how to exactly repeat/reproduce the error to support@furysoftware.com?

You can use a file transfer service such as WeTransfer to send me the files.

https://wetransfer.com

Hubert

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 55
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/20/2020 8:04:53 AM   
Jazon

Hi, Hubert!
Thank you for fast reply, I am looking forward to solve this bug with NM objectives, and with implementing mini-map for this campaign, so I can move forward in developing this scenario.
Cheers

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 56
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/21/2020 7:33:57 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi,

Thanks for the files and I suspect it is related to the messages that are appearing in game with texts such as the following:

#POPUP= <<Capture of Glebokie boosts Soviet morale + 500 NM>>

Try replacing it by removing the '<<' and the '>>' in the texts. Like this:

#POPUP= Capture of Glebokie boosts Soviet morale + 500 NM

The reason for the '<<' and the '>>' is for the internal tag system, e.g. where we use #POPUP= <<TAG_01>> and then reference the text in another file in another folder for the different languages.

But if you are not using TAGS, then removing those brackets should solve the issue (I believe) and not confuse the game code etc.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

P.S. For the mini map, you either need to create a custom one or just delete the mini_map.png file found in your campaign subfolder. Easiest is to just delete the one in your subfolder as that is for the full WWI map, e.g. a customized one.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 57
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/24/2020 11:30:33 AM   
Jazon

Thank You Hubert!
All your tips solved my problems - I set NM objectives scripts, also after i removed default mini map from interface folder system editor generated correct mini map.

For all who follows this thread I can only say i work on this every day, but Christmas time I had so much stuff to do so its a bit slower than I expected. So far what is done:

-original map with all features

- 26th May 1920 - units for both sides are in position on the map

- some soviet reinforcements are already set; I need to check and make a schedule for Poles and Soviets - also a script for some of them; like volunteers units for Poles-they would be available only when Soviets will threat the heart of the country, some Soviet Units will arrive after they deal with Wrangel on Crimean Front (that is not on the map, but I need to check the dates, historically when they were available to put on polish front, or make a script for that)
- Victory conditions scripts are set: either by fall of morale, or by position reached by both sides at the end of scenario 12th of October 1920; there are Decisive Victory; Major Victory, Minor Victory conditions set

- free units scripts (Ukrainian units under Petlura will not give up even if they would be pushed off from Ukraine)

- convoy scripts - one through Baltic to Danzig; one from Romania to Krakow via railway [ France supports Poland]

- Soviet military income - set; will vary for different AI level

- decision - Soviets can use some MPPs to use agents to provoke riots in Danzig that will disturb unloading supplies for Poles in Danzig. I tested it - first soviet player make decision, than the riots began and destroy the port therefore it will not be available to use for a few turns. However so far i made a time (date) trigger for this, while after doing some research I think it would be more historically accurate when those events would fire up depending on advance of the Soviet troops [ Bolsheviks advance dare local communists to act more active, also Bolsheviks could inspire some sabotage and disorder events]

There are still many things to be set up:

- NM values for towns, cities and resources

- Primary and secondary supply centers; so far i put on the map only those close to the initial front line.

- edit events such as: Soviet disunity between Western and Southern front; Soviet provoking strikes in central Poland, forming Polish Revolutionary Committee after capturing Bialystok (Soviet morale boost? Forming few extra polish-red “militia” garrison units?), event/decision Tuckhachevski proclaim march West (Soviet morale boost?), increase Soviet propaganda (use MPPs to decrease Polish morale/ increase own), Tukhachevski taking field command (decision)

- events for Poland: forming State Defence Council (boosts polish morale, due to unify all political parties in time of danger) triggered by Soviet troops advance; forming Volunteer Army units( put them in the production queue for free, no experience), Pilsudski taking Field command (decision), cracking Soviet codes by polish mathematicians (increase in Spy&intelligence) event/decision ; supporting Silesian uprising - if yes spend MPP, if No loose morale, penalty for abandoning pro-polish Silesians; death of priest Skorupka on the battlefield EVENT poles got a martyr hero, increase in NM

- other events: Lithuania - cooperation with Soviets to capture Wilno / Vilnus [so far got no idea how to do it, maybe soviets will have an option to cede territory after capturing it to Lithuania]; Poland - Lithuania conflict (Poles can start a war with Lithuania, if they do they loose Entente support); Czechs annex Cieszyn - Poland loose morale EVENT; Hungary send ammunition to Poland (Poland get some MPPs extra, one time),

I still got some technical questions:
1.How to make a decision repeatedly? Like I would like to give soviets the option to disturbed in Danzig few times, after they get closer to Warsaw, ex. 1st time after capturing Bialystok, 2nd after they got Brzesc (Brest) 3rd time when they got to lest say Wyszkow. ? How to make a condition - reaching position in the script and put it into DECISION trigger?

2.How to change range of the planes? This scenario have less scale than great campaign, planes should be able to fly longer ranges.?

3.How can I change the size of convoy amount of MPPs? I now i can change its percentage, but I would like to trigger it by Soviet advance.

4.How to make build fortifications event? When Soviets approached Warsaw in 1920 civilians built quite decent defence lines on outskirts of Warsaw.

That is all for now. Thanks for all your support and patience in answering.
Any fresh ideas always welcomed!
Cheers
Jazon
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

< Message edited by Jazon -- 12/24/2020 11:40:33 AM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 58
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 12/24/2020 6:39:12 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Jazon

Merry Christmas to you too!

On 1. Add a Decision to the campaign for each situation, and change their settings so they won't all fire at once, e.g. if the player answers no when Bialystok is captured, then use the #Link= line in the next Decision so that it will only fire if the answer given to the previous was no.

You will find examples in the official campaigns where the #Link line is used.

2. Go to Campaign -> Edit Country Data -> Combat Target Data and select the aircraft type and reduce their ranges there.

3. You can add more than one convoy script to the campaign, if conditions are met then the top one will happen. Dummy DECISION events can be used to trigger these convoy scripts.

4. That isn't really possible, but you could trigger a UNIT script that deploying extra Polish unit(s) if the Red Army approaches Warsaw.

I hope that helps, though if you get stuck just post further.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 59
RE: Bugs and scripting events struggle - 1/15/2021 5:52:14 AM   
Jazon

Hi everyone!
I continue to design this campaign scenario. After thinking I decide to give players as much choices as possible, but with consequences. For example: big choice for Poles will be, triggered by Soviet approach to the heart of the country, forming „national unity government”. Polish player will be able to choose who to appoint as a prime Minister.
Historically Soviet advance was stopped among other factors by mobilization of Peasants (80% of population) to defend country. However their situation was extremely bad, poverty and lack of land lead to multiply desertions from the Polish Army ranks and in turmoil in the countryside.
Government, which was influenced by aristocrats was strongly opposing dividing the Great Landowners possession among poorest peasants. As you can imagine, especially in Russian Revolution wave context, peasants weren’t interested in dying for nothing. So, having a knife on their throats – Bolsheviks approaching Warsaw, with many votes against, Polish Parliament appointed Wincenty Witos as Prime Minister. Witos was a chief of Peasant;s Party, highly popular in the countryside, after nomination he announced the Land Reform, that parceled land to poorest peasants. This argument convinced Peasants that it is worthy to fight for New Republic. That’s a historical choice and will give the polish player benefits, such as end of desertions and unlocking the „Forming Volunteer Amry” event. This decision should also block possibility for Poles to declare war to Lithuania(Witos main aim was to end the war as soon as possible with minimal loses).
However, I decided there should be a choose: Polish player can appoint Roman Dmowski – Nationalist party leader. That would not stop turmoil in the countryside, and desertions. However it will allow Poles to attack Lithuania if they want, and from few elite cavalry units, recruited from aristocracy.
Also Soviets will have their own „alternate history” decisions. After capturing Bialystok where historically they formed Temporary Revolutionary Government with Dzierzynski, Soviets can follow this decision , and benefit from forming Division from local Polish „Reds”. However they can also plunder Bialystok (quite industrialized at this time), and gain 100 MPPs. This decision tough will have negative impact on Soviet PR as „people liberators” and this decision will give 1000 NM for Poles, strengthening their morale.
There will be also optional decision to deploy Soviet Reinforcements. If they will be deployed as default, in Belarus, there will be no additional cost [ because they were heading from Petrograd], however Soviets can spend MPPs and delay them by one week and send them to reinforce the Ukraine Front.
There are also other alternate decisions for me to design but I want to implement them whenever its possible to make game play more attractive.
For those who are following this thread and have more knowledge about SCRIPTS design, I have few questions:
1 Units deployed on the map by UNIT script, when I choose they should be upgraded up to time, does it mean they are upgraded in all aspects? Ex. For infantry: infantry weapons, mobility, anti aircraft, or only main one – infantry weapons? This is a problem because I want to make HQs and some artillery units more mobile ( Red Calvary Army artillery and Gai-Chan corps). So my concern is how to deploy Units on map, using the DECISION, but only upgraded in weapons not anti aircraft or mobility.
2. Other thing is that I made a pop-up communicate, but i want only soviets should see it. How to do it? Also how to implement more text in Pop-up window as well with text? For example this one, text in message actually fits with this foto, but problem is it is seen by Polish player too:( Also in other Pop-ups I would like to place more text then two sentences. Best would be text and photo matched together nicely. There are some events that I want to explain with Pop-ups but I can't manage to edit photo and text together in a aesthetic way.
{
#NAME= GO WEST!
#POPUP= GO WEST!
#MESSAGE= Brave soldiers of the Worker's-Peasant's Red Army! The time to even the score has come. The Army of Red Banner and Army of sinister White Eagle faced each other in life or death struggle. Over White Poland's dead body there is a way to whole-world revolution! On our bayonets We will bring peace and prosperity to the working masses. Go West! Order 4012 Mikhail Tukhachevski
#IMAGE= gowest.png
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 116
#TRIGGER= 100
#PRIVATE= 1
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 0
#DISPLAY_TURN= 0
#DISPLAY_STYLE= 0
#MESSAGE_STYLE= 1
#DATE= 1920/07/01
#TEXT_RGB= 50,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 0,0,0
#MAP_POSITION=
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 78,9 [1]
; 1st Line - Poland politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 85 [2] [100] [0]
}
2 Also I have problem with TRIGGERS. Basically all EVENTS in the game will be based on Soviet Advance – how close they are to Warsaw. I made one decision that works pretty smoothly:
{
#NAME= Pilsudski taking Field command? (DE - 51)
#POPUP=
#MESSAGE= Commander, do you wish to put Chief of State Jozef Pilsudski into field command? Click Yes to form Pilsudski HQ. It will cost us 30 MPP for 4 turns.
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 85
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
#DECISION= 51
;Set how many MPPs should be collected over X turns if player selects 'yes' (dummy values)
#MPP_UPDOWN= -30
#MPP_TURNS= 4
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION= 18,42
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1920/05/26
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 191,168,131
; Warsaw is in Entente hands
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 18,42 [2]
; 1st Line - Poland politically aligned with Entente and not surrendered
; condition position Soviets approach Warsaw
#CONDITION_POSITION= 18,42 [40,75] [1,100] [1] [116]
}
I put condition position pretty far, just for testing purposes [40 to 75 hexes from Warsaw] [from 1 to 100 units]
I don't know if trigger from [ 1 to 1 units in range works as well from 1 to 100 units]
I am afraid it will NOT hit when there will be maybe 3 units in range. Or I misunderstood that? Or maybe only one decision can be launched in one turn? I really already checked it three times in a game and it doesn't work.
I have a problem with this script:
{
#NAME= Poland: Forming State Defense Government - Do you support Witos? (DE - 650)
#POPUP=
#MESSAGE= Soviets approached the heart of Poland. All parties in Sejm agreed to form State Defense Government. Do you wish to nominate Peasant's Party leader - Wincenty Witos as Prime Minister? (YES) This means we will promise to set agrarian reform in motion. That will upset the countries largest land owners, but will give us support of the countryside, prevent peasant's soldiers from desertion, and provide recruits to form Volunteers Army. (NO) We will support National Democrats Party Leader - Roman Dmowski? This will please aristocracy and hard-headed chauvinists. Aristocracy and Nationalists can form some experienced Cavalry Units on Dmowski call, but not many in numbers.
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 40
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
#DECISION= 650
#MPP_UPDOWN= 0
#MPP_TURNS= 0
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION= 18,42
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1920/05/26
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 177,197,213
; Warszawa is in Entente hands
; 1st Line - Poland politically aligned with Entente and not surrendered
;Soviets approach Warsaw
#CONDITION_POSITION= 18,42 [40,75] [1,100] [1] [116]
}

Also this doesn’t work, and I got no idea why:

{
#NAME= Poland: Use Allied Military Mission in Warsaw to form additional HQ? (DE - 52)
#POPUP= Poland: Use Allied Military Mission in Warsaw to form additional HQ?
#MESSAGE= We can use foreign Entente officers to form additional HQ, lead by Weygand. It will cost us no MPP's; but if we let foreigners command our troops it will affect our morale ( - 500 NM)
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 1
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 85
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
#DECISION= 52
#MPP_UPDOWN= 0
#MPP_TURNS= 0
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION= 18,42
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 1920/06/01
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 191,168,131
; Warszawa is in Entente hands
; 1st Line - Poland politically aligned with the Entente and not surrendered
}
LAST question: How to change colors in message window? Instruction says:
#TEXT_RGB= Text color for the decision event
; Format: red, green, blue (values range [0, 255])
But it doesn’t tell me much actually. I want to make Soviet texts red and Polish blue. What values shall i use?
4. Also I found holy graal for this scenario about Front in the North:
complete list of units and their quantity on the date when my scenario launches. Its from Tukhachevskiy memories, written in Russian but for me Its not a problem. Thing I want to say „In internet there is everything, you just need to keep digging!”
As always thanks for your support guys, suggestions and advice, they are most valuable and make this project possible to happen! Recently I was busy by my exams at university but since this week I can spare more time and maybe finally push forward with this scenario. Thank you all, and anybody who know how solve this problems I met please help.
Cheers
Jazon

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jazon -- 1/15/2021 8:43:28 AM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: Polish-Soviet War 1920 - map creating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI