Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 5:05:48 PM   
rader

And the 4Es are even more brutal during the day (if easier to shoot down), so if he's using them at night at least he's not using them during the day... or so the theory goes?

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 271
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 6:14:47 PM   
RangerJoe

Some people save the highly experience Japanese fighter pilots in Tracom or training units, then use them in the night fighters where they seem to work better.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 272
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 6:37:04 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Some people save the highly experience Japanese fighter pilots in Tracom or training units, then use them in the night fighters where they seem to work better.

Yeah, I might do that but right now I'm putting crappy inexperienced pilots in all my "night fighters" (day fighters) because they die in droves and I don't care that much about the airframe. I really just care about preserving pilots.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 273
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 6:48:59 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

quote:

Yeah, I might do that but right now I'm putting crappy inexperienced pilots in all my "night fighters" (day fighters) because they die in droves and I don't care that much about the airframe. I really just care about preserving pilots.

I meant the real night fighters, with Radar. But the pilots need to have experience above 50 to do decent work at night.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 274
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 7:03:46 PM   
rader

Yeah makes sense and can't wait to try actual night fighters. But Japanese aircraft radar comes very late. I assume if you get the planes before you get the radar (based on device date), they start out with their radar greyed out?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 275
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/6/2021 7:14:44 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Yeah makes sense and can't wait to try actual night fighters. But Japanese aircraft radar comes very late. I assume if you get the planes before you get the radar (based on device date), they start out with their radar greyed out?

Yes.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 276
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 1:30:05 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Having high EXP pilots to do night CAP is a critical requirement IMO. Anyone less than 70 EXP just won't cut it, and with defence as high as possible to avoid getting blasted with return fire.

If pilot losses worry you then I'd try for a high DUR airframe with armour, if possible. The Nick and George tend to be the best for this role.

Throwing up poorer pilots will just make the problem worse, as they're more likely to fail rolls and suffer as a result (while enabling the 4E's to build their own EXP).

Having some chaff up to deter raids also helps a little, but I think you need the professionals up at night if you want to seriously make a dent (along with flak, balloons and all the other stuff).

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 277
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 1:50:33 PM   
PaxMondo

No idea on where you are with your AC RnD, but agree with MM on this.
IJN: George/Jack
IJA: Nick (preferred)

Large groups, not the small ones. The more AC up the better, and yes, not less than 70 exp/skill pilots. That will mitigate losses a lot. And all the rest (flak, blimps, etc). Don't try to defend everything, but what you defend make it costly for him to show up. You are still in '43, his 4E availability still isn't that good, you should be able to bleed him out if you work him.

Where is he bombing you? it matters ...

Pax

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 278
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 4:44:52 PM   
rader

I tried Nicks with good pilots and they still seemed to die just as fast without shooting down much more, but I will experiment with Georges...

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 279
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 4:45:00 PM   
rader

Does anyone know the supply cost to build fort levels? (Either cumulative or to build to the next level?)

Trying to decide if it's worth the extra supplies to fortify key bases. Considering the forts don't seem to last long, often I think it might be better to simply save the supplies?

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 280
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 10:18:23 PM   
rader

May 24, 1943.

Port Moresby held today despite a tremendous naval and air bombardment followed by a major assault. I expected the defenders to capitulate. Bad Allied die rolls maybe?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 281
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/7/2021 10:48:12 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

Does anyone know the supply cost to build fort levels? (Either cumulative or to build to the next level?)

Trying to decide if it's worth the extra supplies to fortify key bases. Considering the forts don't seem to last long, often I think it might be better to simply save the supplies?

Not sure about supply cost for fort construction, but I found this link on supply cost for base construction potentially useful: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2885601

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 282
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 1:52:59 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

quote:

Not sure about supply cost for fort construction, but I found this link on supply cost for base construction potentially useful: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2885601

Higher fort levels also increase the Balloon defenses. This will help against low level night attacks by large bombers.

― Julia Child

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 283
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 1:57:04 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

I tried Nicks with good pilots and they still seemed to die just as fast without shooting down much more, but I will experiment with Georges...

High EXP and high DEF are the name of the game.

Don't worry about shooting them down outright, as that's a poor indicator of a successful defence against night bombing raids.

Your metric is how little damage gets caused. When you consider how many bombers will get lost or not fly, it makes more sense to measure the damage you have to endure. Any shootdowns or subsequent OPS losses are a bonus.

As a further suggestion, surging day fighters around to night CAP during periods of high moonlight will be helpful too.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 284
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 2:12:30 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

High EXP and high DEF are the name of the game.

Don't worry about shooting them down outright, as that's a poor indicator of a successful defence against night bombing raids.

Your metric is how little damage gets caused. When you consider how many bombers will get lost or not fly, it makes more sense to measure the damage you have to endure. Any shootdowns or subsequent OPS losses are a bonus.

As a further suggestion, surging day fighters around to night CAP during periods of high moonlight will be helpful too.

+1
IJA: Nick
IJN: George

If your opponent is doing a lot of night bombing, you will likely have to use groups from both. Numbers matter a lot.

Pax

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 285
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 4:06:48 PM   
rader

quote:

If your opponent is doing a lot of night bombing, you will likely have to use groups from both. Numbers matter a lot.

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 286
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 4:09:47 PM   
rader

Even the crappy fighters and pilot seem decent as ablative armor preventing damage so at least that works ok.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 287
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 4:16:47 PM   
rader

Some holdout "guerillas" that I somehow missed on Mindanao. Will need to liquidate them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 288
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 4:31:27 PM   
rader

This is interesting. Not supposed to arrive until 43/7 but I guess he gets some early. Not yet seen in action, probably rebasing toward the front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 289
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/8/2021 4:41:58 PM   
RangerJoe

He may get some units equipped with them before that date.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 290
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/9/2021 12:24:55 AM   
rader

Put some 20mm cannon shells into a PT boat but I'm not sure if that actually does anything. Seems this isn't a great use of Georges?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 291
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/9/2021 12:28:58 AM   
RangerJoe

That can kill them.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 292
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/9/2021 7:14:49 PM   
rader

This time I put some Georges and Nicks with good pilots on night CAP and they still did nothing and still died. Back to rookies. At least I'm not losing much with untrained ablative armor.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 293
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/14/2021 3:07:36 PM   
rader

June 1, 1943

Port Moresby falls!

It was only a matter of time, but this is the first major base to be recaptured by the Allies. The Allied steamroller is starting to move...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 294
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/14/2021 10:24:55 PM   
rader

June 2, 1943

Missed opportunity!

I had set almost 500 Japanese bombers to attack the airfields at Ledo where the Allied heavies were but only 60 flew. Got a few heavies on the ground, but missed a big opportunity to get more. Sigh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 295
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/15/2021 12:13:29 PM   
bigred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Higher fort level

also: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3500301&mpage=1&key=fort%2Csupply%2Ccost�

Critical info:

Levels 1,2 and 3- cost about 1,000 supplies and take 3 days
Level 4 - 2,400 tons of supplies; 9 days
Level 5 - 3,600 supplies, 13 days
Level 6 - 5,200 supplies, 19 days
Level 7 - 20,000 supplies, 25 days
Level 8 - 26,700 supplies, 33 days
Level 9 - 29,900 supplies, 38 days

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/15/2021 12:15:07 PM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 296
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/15/2021 4:40:49 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Higher fort level

also: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3500301&mpage=1&key=fort%2Csupply%2Ccost�

Critical info:

Levels 1,2 and 3- cost about 1,000 supplies and take 3 days
Level 4 - 2,400 tons of supplies; 9 days
Level 5 - 3,600 supplies, 13 days
Level 6 - 5,200 supplies, 19 days
Level 7 - 20,000 supplies, 25 days
Level 8 - 26,700 supplies, 33 days
Level 9 - 29,900 supplies, 38 days

Thank you!! Hope you're doing well, been a couple of years since the wifcon :)

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 297
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/15/2021 4:43:08 PM   
rader

June 3, 1943.

Allied bombers come to Mandalay at night to hit back at the Japanese airfields, but most of the Japanese bombers have relocated.

I did set a large number of fighters including Georges on night CAP but they only managed to shoot down 2 B-25s in exchange for 2 Georges and 5 Tojos. However, Flak did a great job over both Mandalay and Rabaul, claiming 7 Heavies today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 298
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/15/2021 4:46:50 PM   
rader

Japanese subs also had a good day in the South Pacific sinking a CL (actually Richmond, not Achilles) and the poor corvette Chilliwack with its brave *Canadian crew.

For a nice time, the Canadians had a nice time enjoying the tropical sun. Even after their ship was sunk it was a heck of a lot more pleasant than being stranded in the unforgiving North Atlantic.

*I'm from Canada and rarely get to see them in the Pacific.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 299
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 1/16/2021 7:32:35 PM   
rader

June 5, 1943.

Another day, another night raid. This time on Rabaul. Lots of Japanese flies swatted by the 4Es, but we're slowly bringing them down as well, with about a 0.15:1 kill to loss ratio.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rader -- 1/16/2021 7:34:24 PM >

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI