Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game Does NOT even start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> RE: Game Does NOT even start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 3/20/2019 1:11:04 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Varacka

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate or install wmp. I have been trying for 2 days now. I am probably going to have to just get a refund and at some point reinstall windows.

Try this

How to install Windows Media Player
Open Settings.
Click on Apps.
Click on Apps & features.
Click the manage optional features link. Apps & features settings.
Click the Add a feature button. Manage optional features settings.
Select Windows Media Player.
Click the Install button. Install Windows Media Player on Windows 10.

Same screen make sure Internet Explorer is installed

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 3/20/2019 1:12:50 AM >

(in reply to Varacka)
Post #: 31
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 4/30/2019 5:36:52 PM   
Galahad78

And, if it is already installed and I have been playing Distant Worlds for years without any hitch? Now suddenly it does not start

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 32
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 5/1/2019 5:37:08 AM   
Bingeling

Something changed at least. Have you played it since last windows update? Any other signs of worms eating away your disk space? Hardly a trend, but any chance of malware or security software messing with the install?

If it is not a windows update explanation, I would reinstall and check that my backup of internal files have happened.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 33
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 6/28/2019 7:35:45 PM   
Galahad78

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxygen1234

I have turned Direct Play on and it didn't change anything.

However, I have good news, I managed to get the game to work!

I changed the line in the Startup.ini from

playmovie 1

to

playmovie 0

And the game started up.

Note, that I previously tried changing it from:
playmovie 1
to
'playmovie 1
as suggested above, and although it might sound crazy, it didn't work. I verified this multiple times:
This does NOT work:
'playmovie 1

This does:
playmovie 0 

Thanks for your help.

This did the trick for me! Thanks a lot for sharing, I was starting to get desperate

(in reply to oxygen1234)
Post #: 34
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 10/25/2019 2:10:44 AM   
MarGon

I have Directx 12 checked. I have tried everything. Thanks for your help.

I´m having problems trying to paste the crush dump. Something about posting a link, phone number or email. I´m trying different ways till de page accept the post.

System . IO . FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft .DirectX .DirectSound, Version= one . cero . 2902 . cero, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft .DirectX .DirectSound, Version= one . cero . 2902 . cero, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

at DistantWorlds . Main . qmbyEdRQMR(Int32 , Int32 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds . Main . . ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean windowedMode, Splash splashForm)
at DistantWorlds . Start . svgKzBihdw(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows . Forms . Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows . Forms . Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows . Forms . Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows . Forms . Application . ThreadContext . RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows .Forms . Application.ThreadContext . RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows .Forms . Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at mmP6HR3GskDjJd0R5l . dDCIkVtUG4JNU0e9Xx . TTMacjII1EX7pTuhitJG(Object )
at mmP6HR3GskDjJd0R5l . dDCIkVtUG4JNU0e9Xx . xPmHyXsrjyA()

(in reply to Tullius80)
Post #: 35
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 11/6/2019 10:15:11 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarGon

I have Directx 12 checked. I have tried everything. Thanks for your help.

I´m having problems trying to paste the crush dump. Something about posting a link, phone number or email. I´m trying different ways till de page accept the post.

System . IO . FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft .DirectX .DirectSound, Version= one . cero . 2902 . cero, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft .DirectX .DirectSound, Version= one . cero . 2902 . cero, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

at DistantWorlds . Main . qmbyEdRQMR(Int32 , Int32 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds . Main . . ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean windowedMode, Splash splashForm)
at DistantWorlds . Start . svgKzBihdw(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows . Forms . Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows . Forms . Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows . Forms . Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows . Forms . Application . ThreadContext . RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows .Forms . Application.ThreadContext . RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows .Forms . Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at mmP6HR3GskDjJd0R5l . dDCIkVtUG4JNU0e9Xx . TTMacjII1EX7pTuhitJG(Object )
at mmP6HR3GskDjJd0R5l . dDCIkVtUG4JNU0e9Xx . xPmHyXsrjyA()

Not sure if you got this fixed but you need to reinstall DirectX as files are missing.

(in reply to MarGon)
Post #: 36
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/10/2020 2:35:57 AM   
balysears1

I also have this problem. Have modified the startup file to "playmovie 0". Windows Media Player is installed. Not sure if I have properly installed DirectX 9 but I have been running DirectX 11. Any other advice, anyone? Thanks.

(in reply to Tullius80)
Post #: 37
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/10/2020 2:35:11 PM   
USSAmerica

I recently installed again on a new computer and had to manually install DirectX 9 again to get the game to run. I think when the game installer tries to do it it is not always effective.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to balysears1)
Post #: 38
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/12/2020 12:52:28 AM   
balysears1

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded DirectX 9 but was unsuccessful in installing it. I looked for solutions at Microsoft and followed the procedure to enable Direct Play in Windows 10 to no avail. Tried to post the links but keep getting You are not allowed to post links, emails or phone numbers for 7 days from the date of your tenth post. It seems that it takes longer now for the startup screen to disappear, that's all. I contacted Tech Support and sent the requested DXdiag report, heard nothing back. Followed up the next day and have still heard nothing. No Tech Support on the weekend? Preparing to request refund but would much rather have the game based on what I have seen and heard about it.

I'll keep trying. Welcome any other suggestions.

P.S. Tech doesn't like me. Trying to create a post lost it and had to log in again and recreate the post three times.
What's up with You are not allowed to post links, emails or phone numbers for 7 days from the date of your tenth post.?
The one above was my first post and it was yesterday. The game AND the forum are buggy? I'm getting paranoid here.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 39
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/12/2020 6:58:39 AM   
zakblood

tech support works weekends, but works on a see and reply basis, unless posted to staff support, who reply on a given time and depending on what they have on etc, how many and in a first come so on a busy time, it may not get done on the same day, but most of the time it will.

the post restrictions are site protection to stop spammers, spamming the board with junk, sorry about that, no real way around it, as after a given time scale and post count, that is removed

(in reply to balysears1)
Post #: 40
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/13/2020 5:53:08 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

I just installed the game (from Steam) and also installed the Bacon mod with the RetreatUE on Windows 10 64bit on a Laptop with an Intel/Nvidia double graphics card, probably the most complicated setup to install any game on.

My problem was three things that needed to be done...

Step 1

in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe" folder there is a text file called "startup.ini". In this file change...

playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

Note: The reason why the movie does not start are most likely becasue you have a hybrid Intel/(Nvidia or ATI) as you do on many laptops, but even some dasktop computers have those. The media player will try to start the movie with the Intel CPU and the game runs with the proper GPU. This will not work. You can force the game to run with the Intel GPU but I would not recomend doing that, just disable the movie... ;)
You sadly can't force Windows 10 to run the Media Player with the proper GPU such as Nvidia or ATI

Step 2

Install DirectX9... the files does not come with the Steam installation so use this one...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Step 3

I had to start the game with Administrator mode for the Bacon mod to load, but I don't think I needed to do that with the standard game. Most likely because the Bacon mod throw a modal popup when the exe is run.

Note: This step should only be necessary for the Bacon mod...

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/13/2020 5:54:07 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 41
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/13/2020 6:05:56 PM   
zakblood

there's plenty of my tips posted on the site to make windows better for older games, and nothing i do or suggests makes newer games not work, so you've lost nothing by trying them, some apps or programs you disabled, others you enable, so rather simple tbh imo

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4454024

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 42
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 4/18/2020 5:34:36 PM   
moonraker65

I've found it on my system to be a .Net issue. Thought it was missing dll's at first as Win 10 64 bit is notorious for having some missing for certain app's and device drivers. Have a look at .Net repair on the MS site

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 43
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 4/25/2020 11:52:48 PM   
rjord2021

I purchased a gaming system back in January and for the first time in 6 years the game would not open despite having media player etc installed.
I resolved the problem by disabling the startup movie by changing playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 44
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 5/2/2020 6:45:31 AM   
Shogouki

Never mind, fixed it!

< Message edited by Shogouki -- 5/2/2020 7:28:52 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 45
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 6/4/2020 11:51:22 PM   
btd64

Having a start problem similar to the above. I double click on the desktop Icon, then single click to play DWU. I get the start screen and a second later it disappears. This is on a new system with 8 cores, and 64bit win10....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 46
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 6/23/2020 1:51:20 AM   
USSAmerica

GP, did you get your new install of DWU working?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 47
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 6/23/2020 1:56:31 AM   
btd64

Nope....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 48
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 8/6/2020 8:41:48 AM   
rjord2021

For those of you who have Windows 2004 installed and cannot run the game:

In regard to Distant Worlds Universe not running under Windows 2004..... these are my findings.

If you run from Steam or use the Desktop Shortcut you will get the popup screen giving you the button Play Distant Worlds.
This no longer works under Windows 2004.

However if you go to the Distant Worlds folder under common and click on DistantWorlds.exe the game will run.

Bacon Mod will however crash still...... but the original Distant Worlds Universe game still runs via the Distant Worlds Folder.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 49
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 9/3/2020 9:07:02 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

what is Windows 2004 ?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 50
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 9/3/2020 7:04:37 PM   
Retreat1970

It's a big update to windows 10. Last one was 1909.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 51
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 9/4/2020 12:11:48 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

thanks Retreat1970, is it possible to go back from Windows10-2004 to Windows10-1909 ?

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 52
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 10/18/2020 4:45:15 PM   
U235

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker65

I've found it on my system to be a .Net issue. Thought it was missing dll's at first as Win 10 64 bit is notorious for having some missing for certain app's and device drivers. Have a look at .Net repair on the MS site

This worked for me. I Downloaded the tool at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30135. Started the tool and let it do its thing (Important: keep the tool open) The went into the DistantWorlds folder opened the subfolder "redist" and ran the DXSETup.exe. It did not complete the first two times but I noticed it got further with each attempt. You will click next after each attempt with DXSETup.exe in the .Net repair tool. The third time was a charm, DX finished all the way, and I clicked finish on the .Net Repair tool. DW worked immediately, no other modifications to ini or exe files needed. Thanks for the tip moonraker65!

I'm still on Windows 10 1909.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 53
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 10/18/2020 4:56:35 PM   
U235

I should also mention I'm the Distant Worlds PC version. I have it on Steam but haven't tried it there. There was no "redist" folder in the game files at the Steam location, at least for me. I will try it later and see if the issue is repaired there as well.

Edit: Also takes care of the same issue with Steam.

< Message edited by U235 -- 10/19/2020 12:31:18 AM >

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 54
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 12/2/2020 12:19:06 PM   
Protonic2020

What MEDIA file type is it that starts the game? Because i think this is a good lead to solving it as well. The thing is that in Windows 10 it´s a HUGE list to set the standard program for which program that opens a certain media file so best if i know the first if i will get anywhere in my own troubleshooting this common problem with DWU as it seems. Thanks Tullius for that input.
EDIT: Intro file is .wmv file extension, plays fine directly from the player.
Nah this problem was one of those naughty ones, tried lots of fixes now to no use. Difficult problem here.

Footnote: I ment to say media file at first up here and i left out the word "media", darn i get irritated on myself how sloppy i am, excuse.

< Message edited by Protonic2020 -- 12/2/2020 9:03:21 PM >

(in reply to Tullius80)
Post #: 55
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 12/2/2020 12:20:18 PM   
Protonic2020

Link broken U235
Yes i finally got it to work!

And i will try to describe here as best as i can to help any other customer running into the same problems like i did.
The thing for me was personally that i got to eager to run the game so i clicked twice after installing the game from the game menu so i got two executed programs on startup so i chose to shut down one of them. After that the game was not able to execute the program so some seconds into trying to start it several times, something had apparently gone wrong\corrupted there.
So i tried possible fix after fix but it shut down rather fast and any crash log to view was just one of the problems i had to skip since it for the moment just was too far stretched to get that to even produce one to view.

So my solution was: Uninstalling\reinstalling paying close attention and making sure to follow all steps exactly to avoid any little mistake during the installation, shutting down AV program as well as setting User Control Account to a minimum during download and installation, the .Net 4.0 frame, the three of the instances to install checked so it did it´s thing finishing with one repair try at one of the first applications mentioned above, restarting the PC, clicking once from the game menu to let it execute the game. And it went further and loaded it all as it should.

< Message edited by Protonic2020 -- 12/3/2020 8:38:24 PM >

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 56
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 12/2/2020 7:27:07 PM   
deMangler

I have found the simplest way is to install it to a windows 7 virtual machine. That is ok because it is not graphics heavy. I love distant worlds so much I have a VM dedicated to it. Nothing touches it to this day for sheer gameplay and a living universe.
I really hope distant worlds 2 runs on linux. By the looks of it there will be some 3d stuff and if it doesn't run in linux natively or with proton that will definitely be a real shame.

(in reply to Protonic2020)
Post #: 57
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/17/2021 4:31:53 AM   
cbelva

I'm having the same problem. I install DW Universe and it will start to launch the game and then disappear after a few seconds. I have WMP installed and gone thru this thread. The DW_CrashDump appears to indicate that the file Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound is missing. I have DirectX 12 installed and .NET Framework 4.5. I tried to reinstall them but Windows won't let me telling me that they are already installed. Any help would be appreciated.

I will post the CrashDump file below.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at DistantWorlds.Main.v0N2iKhKFv(Int32 , Int32 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean windowedMode, Splash splashForm)
at DistantWorlds.Start.iTYOzJ5MC8(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at jLxldM9XTqtG17kf9b.oM5LtUV4H5mWoatiYO.w3E0UgaaIQdie9YPk0SR(Object )
at jLxldM9XTqtG17kf9b.oM5LtUV4H5mWoatiYO.S6cP2uyLiyH()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 58
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/26/2021 6:21:14 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva

I'm having the same problem. I install DW Universe and it will start to launch the game and then disappear after a few seconds. I have WMP installed and gone thru this thread. The DW_CrashDump appears to indicate that the file Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound is missing. I have DirectX 12 installed and .NET Framework 4.5. I tried to reinstall them but Windows won't let me telling me that they are already installed. Any help would be appreciated.

I will post the CrashDump file below.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at DistantWorlds.Main.v0N2iKhKFv(Int32 , Int32 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean windowedMode, Splash splashForm)
at DistantWorlds.Start.iTYOzJ5MC8(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at jLxldM9XTqtG17kf9b.oM5LtUV4H5mWoatiYO.w3E0UgaaIQdie9YPk0SR(Object )
at jLxldM9XTqtG17kf9b.oM5LtUV4H5mWoatiYO.S6cP2uyLiyH()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

in the startup.ini file in main folder make sure the line reads as
playmovie 0

Also make sure directx is updated.

so it does not play the video.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 59
RE: Game Does NOT even start - 1/31/2021 1:00:32 PM   
jmscho

Spent a couple of days trying to get Distant Worlds to run on a new PC.
Even tried using a VM loaded with Windows 8.1.
All failed.
Eventually, when loading steam onto the new machine tried again, under steam.
It worked but it did need the playmovie change, as per above.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> RE: Game Does NOT even start Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI