Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The World at War ELO Tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: The World at War ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 9:18:23 AM   
EarlyDoors

quote:

ORIGINAL: HamburgerMeat

Game ended

HamburgerMeat (Axis) vs Fafnir (Allies)

Axis victory

Great game from my opponent. By far the best tactical level play I've seen.

Wow - congrats HamburgerMeat

18-17 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.s3-website.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 241
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 3:18:33 PM   
HamburgerMeat

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoneRunner

quote:

Game ended

HamburgerMeat (Axis) vs Fafnir (Allies)

Axis victory

Great game from my opponent. By far the best tactical level play I've seen.

Could you provide more detail on how the game went? This is a game that I would love to see in an AAR thread.

No time for an AAR, but I can give a basic rundown:

Things went bad for Germany at the start. With the clever use of suicide LRAs, allies ended up destroying a German HQ during the invasion of France and generally inflicted massive casualties. Immediately after Germany took Norway, Allied forces landed and took the town SW of Oslo. A massive naval/air battle took place to drive the Allies out of Norway. During this time, the Allies destroyed the port at Copenhagen and moved into the Baltic sea, destroying almost all of the Kriegsmarine and inflicting heavy damage against the Luftwaffe. In addition, UK forces landed and cut off Denmark from Germany. Nonetheless, the Allies were driven out of southern Norway and NW Germany, albeit with massive casualties. Allies did take northern Norway, but stopped their advance and were unable to take the mines.

With a demoralized German military and loss of N Africa (I elected to completely abandon it, thinking the Italian armies would be better put to use in Europe), the only path to victory was a complete smashing of the USSR. Luckily, the Baltic states had not been annexed. The Germans landed and conquered Estonia to use it as a forward operating base. When the invasion of the USSR began, Leningrad and Murmansk fell quickly, giving the Germans a much needed morale boost. However, UK forces landed in northern Finland and retook Murmansk. Meanwhile, an armored fist drove straight to Moscow, completely bypassing the series of fortifications laid out in southern Russia (army group south ultimately only conquered up to Kharkov). Around this time, Turkey joined the axis, but UK forces swiftly took Syria and attacked Turkey from the south.

In Asia, Japanese forces had been making steady gains and had taken two of three Chinese capitols by the end of 41. However, because of the early success of the western Allies, desperate times called for desperate measures, and heavy investments were made into amphibious warfare. In addition, the UK declared war on Japan early, sinking several short range amphibious transports. Nonetheless, in early 42, Japanese forces took the Panama canal and landed 12 LRAs + 4 transports on the north American west and east coasts. While long-term success was impossible, the goal was to divert US attention for as long as possible while Germany finished off the USSR. Due to early UK intervention, Japanese forces did not take any of SE Asia.

With German national morale back at 110%, the USA focused against Japan, Japan having secured none of SE Asia, and UK forces squeezing the western axis from Finland and Turkey, it was do or die time. In the final blitzkrieg, German forces took Kuybyshev and Perm in the summer of 42. With the fall of Perm, the USSR surrendered, as well as Fafnir.

Because of my heavy early losses, I was forced to use extremely risky methods to gamble for victory. Despite the relatively quick fall of the USSR, German forces were already stretched to their maximum, and probably would have been driven back if the war had gone on just a few more turns.

< Message edited by HamburgerMeat -- 1/8/2021 3:48:01 PM >

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 242
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 3:24:33 PM   
HamburgerMeat

As shown in this picture, German forces had been worn down to a nub:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 243
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 4:15:30 PM   
Taifun

Congratulations HamburgerMeat for this great victory and for sharing with us the basic rundown!

La clé est l'état d'esprit

Post #: 244
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 4:48:02 PM   
HamburgerMeat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

Congratulations HamburgerMeat for this great victory and for sharing with us the basic rundown!

Thanks! I don't think that I'll win next time against Fafnir though. He is the best, I have no doubts.

Anyone up for an ELO game with these house rules:

1. No diplo on Majors.
2. No diplo on Bulgaria
3. No DOW USSR until 1941.
4. No early provoking of Italy in order to immediately attack it (added this since the developers said they will address this, and I don't think that axis have a way to counter it)

< Message edited by HamburgerMeat -- 1/8/2021 4:54:07 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 245
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 6:14:15 PM   
wie201

Wow! Congratulations HM. Sounds like a fascinating game to have played. If either of you have the time, a more detailed AAR would be welcome or either opponent’s point of view.

Thanks guys!

Post #: 246
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 6:23:24 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taifun

Thanks! I don't think that I'll win next time against Fafnir though. He is the best, I have no doubts.

Anyone up for an ELO game with these house rules:

1. No diplo on Majors.
2. No diplo on Bulgaria
3. No DOW USSR until 1941.
4. No early provoking of Italy in order to immediately attack it (added this since the developers said they will address this, and I don't think that axis have a way to counter it)

Do I dare? Been 6-months since we last played, you strolled thru England if I remember correctly.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

Post #: 247
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 6:33:03 PM   
Fafnir

Well two mistakes lead to the quick defeat of the USSR.
I did not annex the Baltic so Germany could conquer it and use it to destroy the Leningrad HQ in the first turn.
This lead to a fast advancement to Moscow and Rostov area.
I lost Moscow but could stop him around Rostov.

I waited now for the new attack to Rostov/Stalingrad which never came.
I should earlier prepare a defence for Perm an slow down the Axis advanement too it.
MPP was still good for USSR so as HamburgerMeat pointed out a few more turns and costly attacks would have stopped Germany.

So clever moves from his side and the fast advancement together with a wrong defense strategy of the USSR did the trick.
Still wonder how he managed to build such a strong Germany attack force even though he had costly losses and not to much MPP income.
I had not many games as Allies vs. such strong players, so he stroke me with the sharpest sword 'surprise'.

(in reply to wie201)
Post #: 248
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 7:43:42 PM   
calcwerc

HamburgerMeat: you should play Taifun!

(in reply to Fafnir)
Post #: 249
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 7:53:47 PM   
HamburgerMeat

Game Started

ElvisJJonesRambo (Axis) v HamburgerMeat (Allies)

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 250
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 7:54:12 PM   
HamburgerMeat

quote:

ORIGINAL: calcwerc

HamburgerMeat: you should play Taifun!

have room for another game, so I'd be down

Post #: 251
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 8:13:18 PM   
pjg100

Fafnir, I'm curious, if you're willing to share your thoughts on this - why did you not annex the Baltic States?

Post #: 252
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament. Looking for opponent - 1/8/2021 8:19:48 PM   
Taifun

Game ends:

Fafnir (Axis) vs TAIFUN (Allies). Fafnir as Axis wins October 1940.
I resign early as I think that Fafnir is a much better tactical player. After a promising start I feel that I made several beginner mistakes and feel that I need a brake after all this games. Many thanks Fafnir for your time!

La clé est l'état d'esprit

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 253
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/8/2021 9:04:07 PM   
Fafnir

quote:

Fafnir, I'm curious, if you're willing to share your thoughts on this - why did you not annex the Baltic States?

Some of the USSR units which you get when entering the war will automatically be placed in the Baltics.
If you do not annex the Baltics the will be placed behind the Baltics where they are sure.
Except for the last game nobody ever attacked the Baltics before the USSR since it will greatly activate it.
Only possible if you are one turn before the attack but the USSR will still not enter after war.

Not sure if declaring war on Baltics also activates a few % for the US.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 254
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/9/2021 12:01:00 AM   
pjg100

Thanks, I appreciate your sharing your thoughts on the matter. I suppose this is one of those gambits that will work well against most players, but will result in pain against a first-rate opponent like HM.

(in reply to Fafnir)
Post #: 255
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/11/2021 8:19:26 PM   
LoneRunner

Game Started:

petedalby (Axis) vs LoneRunner (Allies)

House Rules:
1. No diplomacy on majors and Bulgaria
2. No DOW on Russia before 1941
3. No British DOW on Japan before Dec 1941

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 256
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/14/2021 9:08:03 PM   
calcwerc

New ELO game with ELO house rules:
calcwerc (Axis) - Petedalby (Allies)

(in reply to LoneRunner)
Post #: 257
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/15/2021 8:29:04 PM   
calcwerc

Game ended:
Petedalby (Axis) - calcwerc (allies). Allies win.
Axis took Canberra, Hawaii, London, most of India and sank lots of allied ships in the Atlantic. Still, Russian defences could not be penetrated, so Axis gave up in 43 I think. Entertaining game, with quite a few surprises!

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 258
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/16/2021 8:23:19 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

[LOSS] ElvisJJonesRambo (Axis) lost Farfin (Allies) ---> Scando Gambit defeats Turkish/Syria invasion. Luftwaffen wiped out in consecutive turns
[LOSS] ElvisJJonesRambo (Axis) lost HamburgerMeat (Allies) ---> Staled in Russia, wrong mix of troops Smolensk and too many Reds +2 infantry +2 Air at Rostov

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 259
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/17/2021 11:07:50 AM   
Epekepe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epekepe

New ELO game started:

skinster (axis) vs Epekepe (allies).

Game ended, August 29, 1941.
skinster did not play his turn in month time.

< Message edited by Epekepe -- 1/17/2021 11:10:22 AM >

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 260
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/17/2021 6:04:40 PM   
The Land

quote:

Can I just check that skinster was definitely aware of the tournament and that they were participating in it? I don't recall them posting in this thread, though I may be wrong.

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to Epekepe)
Post #: 261
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/18/2021 2:32:43 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

[LOSS] ElvisJJonesRambo (Axis) lost eriador08 (Allies) ---> Scando Gambit, AA-2 appears to be the cookie cutter of choice

Just lost 3-games in row as Axis, after winning 2 in row. The new Allied strategy appears to be this.

1) Sellout every possible Tech, for Anti-Air +2 for Russia/China. I don't know how these guys get that level so quick. Must be bypassing (selling out) for INF/AA +2. Wonder if Spying/Intelligence used?
2) Go for the Norwegian Wood gambit
3) Blowoff the Pacific, including Hawaii, means nothing. Token defense. Spend 0 MMPs
4) Ambush with Brits Carriers the Jap landing DEI if given the opportunity. Its a must for Japs.
5) Build all USA bombers
6) Danish port plow over to wax Kreigsmarine once massive US Navy is there, since you don't care about Pacific. (Or snipe Luftwaffe)
7) *alternate, as we know, just suicide transports in Italy to get their surrender.

The Danish gambit makes sense, since it never rains there, unlike France

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 262
Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 1/18/2021 4:16:24 PM   
The Land

Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021!

Of 56 games: Axis wins 26, Allies win 30, no draws yet.

At the top of the table, Fafnir maintains the top spot with 6 games recorded since the last update, and 5 wins from that. HamburgerMeat rises to 3rd place being unbeaten in their 4 games.

Elsewhere, Elvis has gained 50+ points thanks to a sharp increase in his victory rate - winning 6 of the last 10 matches.

PLAYER	 CURRENT ELO 	Total Games	Total Games Won	Win %
Fafnir	         1,167.0 	12	10	83%
Taifun	         1,111.7 	8	7	88%
HamburgerMeat	 1,076.1 	4	4	100%
Cpuncher	 1,071.0 	5	5	100%
pjg100	         1,039.1 	2	2	100%
Marcinos1985	 1,030.9 	8	5	63%
DoXiTXxX	 1,016.7 	1	1	100%
eriador08	 1,006.6 	2	1	50%
JM74	           993.4 	2	1	50%
calcwerk	   991.9 	3	1	33%
zzmzzm	           989.0 	1	0	0%
EarlyDoors	   985.2 	5	2	40%
smckechnie	   984.0 	1	0	0%
mcaughey	   984.0 	1	0	0%
GeneralKaos001	   984.0 	1	0	0%
Petedalby	   982.8 	1	0	0%
Moongaz3r	   982.7 	1	0	0%
Thunderlizard11	   982.6 	6	3	50%
amandkm	           981.3 	1	0	0%
Biggart63	   980.6 	1	0	0%
ElvisJJonesRambo   979.9 	31	12	39%
kidegan	           979.7 	1	0	0%
LoneRunner	   970.9 	4	1	25%
taffjones	   968.7 	2	0	0%
JackMack	   967.4 	5	1	20%
Ktonos	           957.5 	3	0	0%

< Message edited by The Land -- 1/18/2021 4:26:03 PM >

Post #: 263
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 1/18/2021 5:00:24 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Those rankings look somewhat correct. JackMack beat me, so probably above. Also guessing, JackMack been playing top level dudes, thus his lower ranking (thus, he should be ranked higher). I've beaten up some bums. The quality of opponent will eventually show. Since I've played so many games, I can figure most the rankings of my own. Maybe I'll publish :) Plus, I go in blind against opponents, might get a bum, might get a "Clone" of Top Players. Cookie Cutter guys are starting to populate. I will have to change my game against Cookie Cutters. My latest Pacific strategy won't work, but is fun.

Also, I think it's a big deal which side the Intermediate/Bums play. Alot easier for Intermediate & Bum to win as Allies.

Elvis Ranks (if I had to bet money, regardless of side)
1) HamburgerHill (dude knows every hex, every MMP spent, and absolute king of techno manipulation, can do it all)
2) Cpuncher/Fafnir (these 2 are like IBM Big Blue, they have canned strategies and analyze moves, stout Allied players)
3) Taifun (dude is right at the top also)
4) Marcinos1985 (dude does his own thing as Allies, real student of the game)
5) spot for dudes not in ELO that I've played
5) eriador08 (cookie cutter Clone guy)
6) JackMack (Top Intermediate player)
7) Open slot for dudes I don't know or haven't played in awhile or took serious
7) Smckechnie/Elvis/ThundarLizard (intermediate dudes)
8) Bums, just joined, newbies

I'd also say this. Non-British Europeans are the top players. My country rankings

1) Germans
2) Spanish
3) Poles/Russians/Italians
4) Scandos
5) Aussies/Cannucks
6) British/Yanks

*assuming all male players. Any chicks out there?

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/18/2021 5:25:33 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 264
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 1/18/2021 5:20:25 PM   
The Land

The main issue with the ELO system is that everyone starts at 1,000, but a new player is not likely to beat someone who's played half a dozens games, even if the more experienced player's ELO rating has fallen below 950. It's really designed for situations where all players have an average play rate of a game a week (think tennis or chess). This problem can't be completely solved, but I am thinking about potential solutions

But please don't describe anyone as a 'bum', that's not very welcoming or respectful!

Post #: 265
RE: Updated rankings as at 18 Jan 2021 - 1/18/2021 5:31:18 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Lol, you're only a bum, if you think you're a bum. Think boxing. Great motivation piece. If the shoe fits, wear it. I've been cracked easily by the top talent.
Poker = If you don't see the fish, you are the fish.
Einstein = Everything is relative.
I've always believed, it's impossible to be an Environmentalist & Evolutionists at that same time, they are contrary. Mutual exclusive. I'm old enough to remember when call Ecologists.
Far as tennis, there is a big line of talent: Novak Djokeavish, Rafe Naballs, Domino Thiem, Rodge Federer. Halep, Osaki, Sernea, Barty

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to change my game play. There aren't any shortcuts in WaW.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 1/18/2021 5:48:11 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 266
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/19/2021 6:08:10 AM   
Epekepe

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

quote:

Can I just check that skinster was definitely aware of the tournament and that they were participating in it? I don't recall them posting in this thread, though I may be wrong.

RE: The World at War ELO Tournament. Looking for opponent - 11/26/2020 1:45:19 PM

skinster
Matrix Recruit

Status: offline Hi there, I'm interested in joining, what do I need to do?

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 267
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/19/2021 8:08:21 AM   
The Land

ok, thanks, I will add that to the standings!

(in reply to Epekepe)
Post #: 268
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/19/2021 8:23:11 AM   
eriador08

Should i feel honoured by your ranking? but i am not sure, what you mean by clone.

< Message edited by eriador08 -- 1/19/2021 8:24:15 AM >

Post #: 269
RE: The World at War ELO Tournament - 1/19/2021 2:41:25 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: eriador08

Should i feel honoured by your ranking? but i am not sure, what you mean by clone.

Those Chinese had AA-2 very quickly, so did the Reds. Yeah, had some Jap 3-stars working the hills, but Air Power stymied. We didn't have a major naval encounter, I had backed off to get those Indians outta Singapore, they were breeding all over the place. Kept Yamamoto & company prepped for Yankee ambush, but you decided to pick off few islands.

Thought I had you in Russia, I needed the first clear weather in the Spring, but you got it, and made a bold move, punched the Nazi invaders in the face East of the mass swamp. That one turn was huge, took away the momentum. Hindsight, I should have kept punching.

New game is up, rematch.

password: willmisstrump

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Multiplayer Sessions >> RE: The World at War ELO Tournament Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI