Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map - 1/31/2021 7:28:11 PM   
KamilS

Hi

Game is shaping out great, but I have to say that I really dislike map.

Not all aspects of it, but predominantly forests and woods. They make map hard to read and I assume they would give me head-aches in the long run.

Will the be option to change map mode/presentation or alternatively replace original map with something custom made?

regards
Post #: 1
RE: Map - 1/31/2021 7:55:10 PM   
DekeFentle

Given there were at least a couple of pretty good map mods for WitE I would wager there will be or at least could be the same for WitE2.

I'm a rookie on this forum so can't post links. Google "war in the east map mods"

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

(in reply to KamilS)
Post #: 2
RE: Map - 1/31/2021 8:52:55 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: KamilS

Hi

Game is shaping out great, but I have to say that I really dislike map.

Not all aspects of it, but predominantly forests and woods. They make map hard to read and I assume they would give me head-aches in the long run.

Will the be option to change map mode/presentation or alternatively replace original map with something custom made?

regards

well this is fairly subjective but its worth noting that the entire map structure is utterly different to that of WiTE1:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedLancer

As the map is so different to that in WitE (which Jison modded) I worked with the overkill01 who did the WitW map mod:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4369252&mpage=1&key=

I was inspired by all the comments about WitW asking why Jison hadn't done that map.

I posted this on the WitE site but worth re-posting here...

The map has been completely redone including all the coding, topographic projection and artwork.

The new WitE2 map is a mosaic - each hex has its own art which is built from several separate elements with embedded alpha channels. WitE uses tableaus just like a traditional painting. Artistically the WitE2 map is significantly harder to create because you don't see the finished product until you load the game and you have to have pixel accuracy between hexes as the game builds the picture. Tableaus are so much easier to draw to a much higher standard.

The reason the WitE2 now uses a mosaic (with its inherent artistic challenges) is because it is so much less computer resource hungry: resource that we can re-invest into other improvements like a more realistic logistic system. Another big advantage is that as we have gone along we have been able to change hex types, move rivers, rails and roads and add new locations in moments making the map much more accurate. Finally having a map built as a mosaic allows us to show more dynamically what is happening in each hex - this can be the ground conditions like mud, rail usage or the freezing of rivers. My particular favourite is that the woods and forest art now change with the seasons.

(in reply to KamilS)
Post #: 3
RE: Map - 1/31/2021 11:11:57 PM   
KamilS

Yes, it is subjective, i agree.

Thank you for reply and clarification that such adjustments are possible.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Map - 2/1/2021 12:48:23 AM   
Technopiper

It would be extremely easy to create map mods for WitE2 compared to WitE1: each terrain has its own "tiles" instead of an entire map for WitE2, all one had to do is recreate the graphics for each terrain and the game will put them together to form the map.

(in reply to KamilS)
Post #: 5
RE: Map - 2/1/2021 8:32:49 AM   
loki100

Since its the same base design approach as WiTW this is a nice eg of what can be done - its a mod I use for WiTW:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4369252

if anyone is interested might be an idea to chat to the author?

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 6
RE: Map - 2/2/2021 2:37:57 AM   
woos1981

Can we make new maps? It's like the Sino-Japanese war?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Map - 2/2/2021 7:26:25 AM   
RedLancer

Making new maps is not possible.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to woos1981)
Post #: 8
RE: Map - 2/2/2021 1:59:48 PM   
kahta

quote:

Will the game come pre-loaded with the OOBs of the allied participants, similar to how WiTW included Soviet units?

Also- the same question for the axis minors, but for the Western allies. Will the editor include the historical Western units at the start?

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Map - 2/2/2021 3:16:15 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: kahta

quote:

Will the game come pre-loaded with the OOBs of the allied participants, similar to how WiTW included Soviet units?

Also- the same question for the axis minors, but for the Western allies. Will the editor include the historical Western units at the start?

No

the Western Allies are an abstract force not modelled. Check out Showcase 4. In effect, they make steady gains in N Africa, then Italy/France and finally into Germany. This causes losses to the Axis (that in turn need to be replaced) and the Allied strategic bombing damage is abstracted.

All the Axis units are present, even if some like the Bulgarians and Finns are unlikely to ever leave their respective theatre boxes

(in reply to kahta)
Post #: 10
RE: Map - 2/3/2021 4:54:54 PM   
Kryger68

Is it possible to use the mod "Mapoverhaul" from WitW in WitE 2?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 11
RE: Map - 2/3/2021 7:26:25 PM   
RedLancer

Not directly - some of the art would need to be renamed and the WitE2 setup has a significant number of new art files that are not in the Mapoverhaul mod. The basic code and art structure is the same. You could cherry pick specific elements (like the woods) but there is likely to still be quite a lot of work to do. As I said with WitW - if anyone is brave enough to mod the map I'll help - the author of the mapoverhaul mod created most of the WitE2 map.

< Message edited by RedLancer -- 2/3/2021 8:25:40 PM >

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Kryger68)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI