Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 8:48:50 PM   
Evoken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Are you allowing your opponent to reinforce the Soviets? I would be looking to fly some fighters to the Soviet Union to aid in defense, and draw on P-40 pools to make it harder to bleed the MIGs. I haven't looked closely, but if he is in the Aleutians it should be pretty easy to stage in some planes, and maybe some bombers too.

Allied ships , troops , aircraft cant enter original Soviet teritory even after activation game doesnt let you. Only if Soviets capture a base Allied stuff can enter that captured base

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 631
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 9:00:06 PM   
RangerJoe

There are limitations on non-Soviets operating from Soviet national bases.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 632
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 10:39:03 PM   
DesertWolf101

Yes indeed. Besides the limitations discussed above I am also in the process of clearing out the entire Aleutian chain to put some distance between the Western Allies and the Soviets.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 633
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 10:49:31 PM   
DesertWolf101

Furball over Bombay

Here are the results from today's air combat over Bombay. As I mentioned before, I am enamored with the Nick. I am finding that in the correct situations and using the right tactics it can be more than a match for the P-38E.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 634
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 10:54:04 PM   
RangerJoe

The Nick was actually designed for sweeping, unlike like men in a kitchen with a broom. Although many men will sweep ice . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 635
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 10:56:58 PM   
DesertWolf101

Game Report

Here is where things stand a little more than a month before Operation Siberian Winter. Total score is a little more than 8 to 1 in my favor but that is probably as high as it will get. Will that give me enough of a head start to last till 1946? I think it's too early to tell at this point. I may be wrong but I feel like army losses are significantly higher for the date relative to the average game but on the flip side air losses by both sides are significantly lower.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 636
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/20/2021 10:57:53 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The Nick was actually designed for sweeping, unlike like men in a kitchen with a broom. Although many men will sweep ice . . .

That is where I am finding it best too. That and as a bomber interceptor.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 637
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/21/2021 4:58:00 AM   
DesertWolf101

Siberian Winter - The Ground War

Here are the advanced but not quite final plans for the land components of Operation Siberian Winter. I don’t think this is really necessary, but just in case, I would like to ask for your discretion. The Soviets can’t move until the Japanese strike and Andy is already fully aware I intend to invade the USSR, but masking my objectics and intent is still crucial to the operation’s success.

Forces

I have allocated 37 infantry and two tank divisions for the operation. This of course does not include engineer, artillery, and smaller than division sized units. It also does not include local Manchukuo forces. This is more than half a dozen less divisions than I originally envisaged for the operation but unfortunately the 25% PP rule we established prevents me from sending more forces. This does give me a strategic reserve to work with over time as I gradually free up units with PP.

Strategic Intent

The long-term (and decidedly grandiose) objective is the neutralization of the Soviet Army in the Far East and the occupation of the majority of the Russian bases from Irkutsk to Vladivostok (including Sakhalin). My timeline to achieve this objective is from September 1942 to February 1944, anticipating that the latter stages of the operation will involve many months of grinding and costly siege warfare. Neutralizing and seizing this ground will allow me to establish excellent defensive positions to slow down the latter Soviet offensives and free even more forces to face the Western Allied advance.

Especially given the absence of strategic surprise, I fully expect practically all the Soviet bases to have high fortification levels. Instead of battering myself senseless against prepared and entrenched positions, I aim to force Andy to come out and fight me on ground of my own choosing by going after critical objectives that he must hold.

Therefore, rather than focus on the early seizure of the Vladivostok area, the focal point of the operation will be to push hard towards Lake Baikal, neutralize the Lake Baikal Front, and most importantly, seize the Kyakhta-Irkutsk zone. This will cut off the lines of communication of practically the entire Soviet Far East Command from the rest of Russia and facilitate the gradual roll up of Soviet positions from Irkutsk all the way to Vladivostok along the trans-Siberian railway.

Operational Approach

The two main thrusts of this operation will be the Tachi and Katana forces. Tachi force will consist of a core of eight infantry divisions and will strike north from Mangan towards Ulan Bator and from there to Kyakhta. Katana force, consisting of a core of two tank divisions and five infantry divisions, will push towards Borzya with the intent of drawing out the motorized and mechanized Trans-Baikal forces around Ondorhaan and Chita into a fight in the open. Katana force will remain flexible and pursue Soviet forces as necessary, especially if they head towards Ulan Bator instead of coming out to face it.

Further East, Odachi force, consisting of a core of eight infantry divisions, will cross the river with the aim of neutralizing the Soviet forces around Kuibyshevka. The trans-Siberian railway will be simultaneously cut north and south of this area by small detachments to give Odachi the time needed to get into position and delay the arrival of enemy reinforcements. Odachi force itself will block the supply lines along the Trans-Siberian towards the Vladivostok pocket, creating a network of strong and weak blocks for the Soviets to overcome.

A core of eleven infantry divisions of the Tsurugi force will man a fortified line from Lopei to Rashin with the defensive mission of preventing any early Soviet penetrations into the critical Mukden/Changchun/Harbin zone and foil any attempts to cut off the supply lines feeding the Tachi and Katana forces. This force will also act as a reserve to send troops to hard pressed areas. Manchukuo forces will not be used on the frontlines and will act as garrison forces and as an emergency reserve.

Tanto force with a core of four infantry divisions will be allocated the task of striking north from Shikuka and gradually clearing out Sakhalin. In the very far east, paratroopers will pave the way with a series of hops from Anadyr to Seymchan to allow for the air transport of two infantry regiments to take Magadan. Petropavlovsk seems extremely tough to take and there are no plans to make the attempt for now.

Finally, in China, an infantry division + will be allocated the task of blocking the overland connection with the USSR from Alma-Ata to Wasu.

I am sure I forgot a bunch of details, but there it is, the almost final plan for the land component of Siberian Winter. If there are any glaring omissions or oversights, please let me know. Not much time left for me to correct matters before go time!

Post #: 638
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/23/2021 2:39:52 AM   
DesertWolf101

August 13, 1942

Dutch Harbor is taken by the Empire, marking the successful conclusion of Operation Jagged Peaks. With the Aleutians firmly under Japanese control, I feel a bit more confident about the the invasion of the Soviet Union.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 639
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/23/2021 3:05:18 AM   
RangerJoe

If you can take the base near Sakhalin then go up the river with an invasion, there should be no CD guns there but the only two Soviet on map aircraft factories. This might also cut off any automatic supplies to Sakhalin as well as fuel movements to Siberia.

Check and see where his naval units come in and try to capture those bases. I think that might destroy them. Lay mines there otherwise. Check where his minefields are, then subs can wait and lay minefields on the night of the second turn so the Soviets will not see them until the third turn - unless some of their ships clear may mines the hard way.

Take any base along the Siberian-Pacific coast that has any oil, resource, and/or supply generation to help starve the Soviets.

Switch sides and take a look at the Soviet starting position then any reserves coming in at bases as well as those fort units. If they only have 45mm AAA, those don't go up that high. Bomb all such units, even with just a few aircraft, possibly from multiple vectors to have as many different attacks as is possible. Each attack increases the supply consumption by 10%. You can also do a few naval bombardments where there are no CD guns as well.

― Julia Child

Post #: 640
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/24/2021 6:40:10 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

If you can take the base near Sakhalin then go up the river with an invasion, there should be no CD guns there but the only two Soviet on map aircraft factories. This might also cut off any automatic supplies to Sakhalin as well as fuel movements to Siberia.

Check and see where his naval units come in and try to capture those bases. I think that might destroy them. Lay mines there otherwise. Check where his minefields are, then subs can wait and lay minefields on the night of the second turn so the Soviets will not see them until the third turn - unless some of their ships clear may mines the hard way.

Take any base along the Siberian-Pacific coast that has any oil, resource, and/or supply generation to help starve the Soviets.

Switch sides and take a look at the Soviet starting position then any reserves coming in at bases as well as those fort units. If they only have 45mm AAA, those don't go up that high. Bomb all such units, even with just a few aircraft, possibly from multiple vectors to have as many different attacks as is possible. Each attack increases the supply consumption by 10%. You can also do a few naval bombardments where there are no CD guns as well.

Thanks RJ, I am tracking with many of these recommendations, especially with regards to the mines and the AA effective ranges.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 641
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/24/2021 6:48:21 PM   
DesertWolf101

August 14-15, 1942

Siberian Winter

As the kick off date rapidly approaches, my turns are taking longer to finish as I finalize my arrangements. So many details to keep track of!

Arabian Sea

I've ducked the CAP for a long time and scored some big successes with the G3M3s, but on August 14 I lost nearly 20 of them when they decided to fly straight at the shipping at Karachi even though I deliberately avoided placing search arcs over that hex. What I think ended up happening was one of my glen subs got into range and picked up the ships for the G3M3s and they flew to their doom. Ouch.

On August 15 the MKB staged a raid on British warships moored off Socotra and put a couple of fish into the side of Battleship Resolution and Heavy Cruiser Dorsetshire. Nothing fatal however and I expect both ships to survive and eventually be repaired. The MKB will pull back to safer waters.

Post #: 642
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/24/2021 7:13:51 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101
Strategic Intent

Advancing through Western Mongolia will put you in the clear terrain and away from your CAP coverage. However outdated his Soviet airforce is, he will have no trouble concentrating bombers where it counts, that is away from your modern CAP. And then his tanks can really hurt your disrupted IDs. I've always seen Western Mongolia as no-man's land in the war against the Soviets - swathes of open land with no value, where anyone advancing is eventually at a disadvantage.

Another point: AFAIR AARs that pulled off Soviet invasion relatively successfully concentrated on dividing Soviets in two along the siberian middle and then dissecting/shrinking/starving out Kyibyshevka/Vladivostok pocket. With starving out being a priority cause offensive is very costly against those developed and arty-rich strongholds. Soviets have limited supply generation in the pocket though, that's where you airforce can shine with bombing supply dumps/industries as long as you attrite his outdated resistance. You have ample time for the blockade game too, starting this early. This also is a strong pull for the Allies to try sending help along the Aleuteans, creating more attrition opportunities. If Soviets try moving in themselves in the east, you can have your own defenses and bombing waiting, attriting his supply even more. In a nutshell it is a supply game more than anything else

Judging by what I see in my AI game in summer 1942 you are looking at ~1.5mil supplies in Vlad

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 1/24/2021 7:24:15 PM >

Post #: 643
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/24/2021 7:21:18 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Strategic Intent

Advancing through Western Mongolia will put you in the clear terrain and away from your CAP coverage. However outdated his Soviet airforce is, he will have no trouble concentrating bombers where it counts, that is away from your modern CAP. And then his tanks can really hurt your disrupted IDs. I've always seen Western Mongolia as no-man's land in the war against the Soviets - swathes of open land with no value, where anyone advancing is eventually at a disadvantage.

Another point: AFAIR AARs that pulled off Soviet invasion relatively successfully concentrated on dividing Soviets in two along the siberian middle and then dissecting/shrinking/starving out Kyibyshevka/Vladivostok pocket. With starving out being a priority cause offensive is very costly against those developed and arty-rich strongholds. Soviets have limited supply generation in the pocket though, that's where you airforce can shine with bombing supply dumps/industries as long as you attrite his outdated resistance. You have ample time for the blockade game too, starting this early. This also is a strong pull for the Allies to try sending help along the Aleuteans, creating more attrition opportunities. If Soviets try moving in themselves in the east, you can have your own defenses and bombing waiting, attriting his supply even more. In a nutshell it is a supply game more than anything else

Very true, logistics trumps everything.

So also look at where you can quickly capture resources to starve the big 1200 LI from resources so it won't make supply. Every little base counts in this regard. You can push towards his bases in the middle of Siberia and some are empty so if you drop small packets of paratroopers (if allowed) from any remaining from the initial invasion turn.

Don't forget to look where his mine defenses may be where his ships start out, knowing that with no ACMs many mines will be gone, then mini-subs can go visit on turn two.

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 644
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 4:16:40 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

quote:

Strategic Intent

So also look at where you can quickly capture resources to starve the big 1200 LI from resources so it won't make supply. Every little base counts in this regard. You can push towards his bases in the middle of Siberia and some are empty so if you drop small packets of paratroopers (if allowed) from any remaining from the initial invasion turn.

Don't forget to look where his mine defenses may be where his ships start out, knowing that with no ACMs many mines will be gone, then mini-subs can go visit on turn two.

quote:

what's your strategy?  ||   home  |  

Not sure what you mean when you refer to the 'big 1200 LI'. As far as I know the USSR doesn't have anything close to that amount of light industry in the far east in the game.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 645
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 4:25:25 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

Strategic Intent

Judging by what I see in my AI game in summer 1942 you are looking at ~1.5mil supplies in Vlad

To be sure, there is some risk to the advance across Mongolia but the advantages are considerable if I pull it off. Instead of cutting off only half the Soviet Army, success in this operation would cut off virtually all of it. The logistics and supply factors are indeed critical, and that feed directly into my plan.

To my knowledge there are three AARs where the Japanese player deliberately triggered the Soviets. One failed in 1942, one was in 1945 when it was too late, and the third was was in the middle of 1942 with mixed results. It succeeded in taking Vladivostok but the Russians kept a hold on the Trans-Baikal area. I want to deny the Russians their fall back area by going for the Trans-Baikal area in the first push.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 646
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 4:53:26 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Strategic Intent

quote:

what's your strategy?  ||   home  |  

Not sure what you mean when you refer to the 'big 1200 LI'. As far as I know the USSR doesn't have anything close to that amount of light industry in the far east in the game.

All the way to the edge of the map, think MOSCOW. I don't have my game open today so I can't look at the name and I don't remember it. If you cut the rail line, it will be hard to get the resources from the Far East to that base so any resources that can get to there will feed that place but it will not be enough. So the LI will only run part of the time.

There are undefended bases on the way there. Paradrop in, then either reinforce by air or pull out the paratroopers. See where his air units start out.

― Julia Child

Post #: 647
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 6:12:08 AM   
DesertWolf101

Ah yes of course, I see what you mean RJ, you are referring to the 1,400 off map light industry. Yes that and the 4,000 free supply generation the Russians get from off map is what I am aiming to stop from flowing to the rest of the far east by seizing the Lake Baikal zone around Irkutsk.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 648
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 12:40:56 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

To be sure, there is some risk to the advance across Mongolia but the advantages are considerable if I pull it off. Instead of cutting off only half the Soviet Army, success in this operation would cut off virtually all of it. The logistics and supply factors are indeed critical, and that feed directly into my plan.

To my knowledge there are three AARs where the Japanese player deliberately triggered the Soviets. One failed in 1942, one was in 1945 when it was too late, and the third was was in the middle of 1942 with mixed results. It succeeded in taking Vladivostok but the Russians kept a hold on the Trans-Baikal area. I want to deny the Russians their fall back area by going for the Trans-Baikal area in the first push.

As far as AARs go, the third one was not mixed results I believe, but a realistic goal achieved. It is this one that employed blockade and starve out strategy for the Vlad pocket, and hence harvested VPs from troops and prevented a protracted Soviet front later. It would be very hard for you to achieve a meaningful cutoff for the Mongolia based Soviet army, if you opponent is worth some salt he would immediately fall back to the rail line chain, and you have no mobile means of preventing this unless he cooperates. The battles along the chain will be tough and bloody. I would no get hopes up for seizing Baikal area any time soon, you can lose more than you can gain in VPs there.
Cutting off and eventually destroying Kyibyshevka and beyond looks realistic, given you move to cut the rail line immediately on activation and then push in the center to reinforce the blocks. Diverting your limited forces to somewhere less realistic will hurt here.

Post #: 649
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 1:43:54 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

As far as AARs go, the third one was not mixed results I believe, but a realistic goal achieved. It is this one that employed blockade and starve out strategy for the Vlad pocket, and hence harvested VPs from troops and prevented a protracted Soviet front later. It would be very hard for you to achieve a meaningful cutoff for the Mongolia based Soviet army, if you opponent is worth some salt he would immediately fall back to the rail line chain, and you have no mobile means of preventing this unless he cooperates. The battles along the chain will be tough and bloody. I would no get hopes up for seizing Baikal area any time soon, you can lose more than you can gain in VPs there.
Cutting off and eventually destroying Kyibyshevka and beyond looks realistic, given you move to cut the rail line immediately on activation and then push in the center to reinforce the blocks. Diverting your limited forces to somewhere less realistic will hurt here.

If Andy falls back to the rail chain and does not contest my push then that is preferable for me than him defending in the prepared and fortified positions on the way there. That scenario would allow me to march forward and seize the clear terrain in front of Irkutsk. Then the battles along the chain would be the same type of battles that I would fight against his defended positions as I starve them out.

I am not saying this is an easy operation by any means. It is arguably even more risky given its more ambitious scope. I do prefer it however as it offers a way to deny the enemy key terrain that he could use for a counterattack. As a matter of fact, I had a conversation recently with Rader (the person who took Vladivostok that we were discussing above) and he actually agreed that if he did it again he would also go for the Irkutsk zone first.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 650
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/25/2021 2:47:33 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, sorry that I was wrong on the amount of LI. But if you can cut the Vlad pocket off from those supplies, then cut the rail and road links to the units in the middle of Siberia, those supplies will have a hard time making it to those units. Even bombing various units with 1/3 or even less of an Ida light bomber unit causes a 10% increase in supply usage for the entire stack. It does not matter if the hit anything so it probably would be worth doing if there was no heavy AAA there and if you lose a few aircraft here and there but massively increase the Soviet supply usage . . .

If you can use the long range Emilies and Mavises for dropping fragments of paratroop units on an ungarrisoned base . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 651
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/29/2021 2:51:35 PM   
DesertWolf101

August 30, 1942 - China Conquered

Wenchow falls - all Chinese bases are now under the control of the Japanese Empire. Next stop, USSR!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 652
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 12:29:05 AM   
DesertWolf101

The Scoreboard

I will likely be at about 50,000 points when Siberian Winter kicks off in what I anticipate to be about a month's time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 653
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 1:02:08 AM   
DesertWolf101

August 15-31, 1942

Industry

Supply and fuel have been rising faster than I anticipated and are now at 4 million and 5.5 million respectively. Oil is still declining but relatively slowly and is now at 2.6 million. Overall the trend is heading in a positive direction so I am not concerned but this may change with what I anticipate to be the massive supply drain of Siberian Winter.

Sweeps

The A6M3a has made a large impact on my ability to step up my sweeping operations, especially against distant Allied airbases. As long as I make sure to not abuse my pilots and airframes, even extended range sweeps are having a significant impact in the number of downed Allied fighters. In the latest sweep that can be seen in the scoreboard above for instance 12 Wildcats and Warhawks were shot down for a single lost Zeke.

Australia

The A6M3a and G3M3 combination has opened the door for long range strategic bombing raids in Australia which have led to some nice Allied strategic loss points.

Tankers

Every single tanker is at sea and all ships that can convert to tankers or AOs are doing so, and still I can't get enough of these ships for my needs. I only lost a single tiny tanker in the entire war thus far too. I am not sure how other players go around this problem, but maybe I need to resort to some xAK types to fill the gaps?

Post #: 654
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 1:26:12 AM   
RangerJoe

Just get the oil and fuel to the Asian landmass and you should be fine. Remember, you have taken more than the Japanese historically did take.

― Julia Child

Post #: 655
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 8:38:33 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

Just get the oil and fuel to the Asian landmass and you should be fine. Remember, you have taken more than the Japanese historically did take.

I'm just debating whether the use of large xAKs for the task is worth the fuel the fuel they would use, but yeah, I can always look for more efficient way to bring that fuel to the landmass and the Home Islands.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 656
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 8:40:09 AM   
DesertWolf101

Destroyer Raid

Not a bad way to ring in a new month with a daring DD raid into the lion's den at Karachi. Now for the hard part - escape.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 657
RE: Empire of the Sun - 1/30/2021 7:40:27 PM   
DesertWolf101

Sweeps Over Delhi - September 3, 1942

I decided to use the Ki-44-IIa for the first time in a large and risky sweeping operation over Delhi where Andy has around 200 fighters stationed. Weather and coordination failures hobbled my efforts early on leading the A6M3a squadrons to go in small packets first where they took considerable losses before the Tojo and Nick units finally showed up in large numbers towards the end and inflicted heavy damage.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 658
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2021 12:44:14 AM   
DesertWolf101

Beware the G3M3! - September 8, 1942

Attachment (1)

Post #: 659
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2021 12:51:41 AM   
RangerJoe

Very nice!

― Julia Child

Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI