Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bacon Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/22/2021 9:35:30 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: wamaye04

Submission details
distantworld.exe
Submission ID: REDACTED
Submitted by: REDACTED
Submitted: Jan 22, 2021 4:59:16 AM
User Opinion: Incorrect detection

Analyst comments:

We have determined that the files meet our criteria for detection. At this time detection will remain in place.

More detailed information about the approach and criteria categories currently used by the Microsoft researchers are available here:
......link that I can't post since it's not been 7 days since my 10th post.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Did you tell them that the file works on Windows for people who did not upgrade to 2004?

Microsoft confirmed just 10 weeks ago that it was not a virus and it was not a trojan.

If Microsoft refuses to fix Defender I would recommend moving away from Defender and going to something more reliable.

So many games can no longer run on Windows 10 2004.... absolutely crazy on Microsofts part.

(in reply to wamaye04)
Post #: 1291
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/22/2021 10:42:31 PM   
Retreat1970

There's no sense arguing about it. The mod is optional and they can choose to use it or not.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 1292
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/28/2021 12:49:09 PM   
TorenAltair

RogerBacon,
I seem to have a strange bug (playing latest release 1.81r of your mod). Quite long into the game I get ships from seemingly nowhere.. They just pop up, they aren't in a build queue. Military ships, Colonizers etc. I play with everything on manual settings. Never had this behaviour before, so I assume it is related to your mod. Additionally active mod is Unleashed, though it didn't ever happen on the older release of your mod I played (I think it was 1.71).
The behaviour might effect the computer players as well. At least the strongest opponent jumped from 3.x million military strength to 5.x million in 2 or 3 weeks.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 1293
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/31/2021 10:53:13 PM   
Ranbir

I can't get the latest .exe to fix the win10 update. Anyone got it?

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 1294
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/31/2021 11:24:44 PM   
SABRETOOTH2

I finally managed to get this mod to run, only for it to crash to desktop with an OoM Error.

I have the Windows 2004 unfortunately......is there any way around the memory crash??

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1295
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/31/2021 11:39:27 PM   
zgrssd

It could be that the modded .exe is doing something very iffy:
Stuff like direct access to the memory of another process, even by accident? (Naked points are a pain)
Maybe it is using some old permission/windows feature that we should have phased out a decade ago?
Maybe there is some signature or certificate missmatch?

This is a direct manipulation of another person .exe file, without access to the sourcecode. There is a thousand and one ways where you can mess up. And mess up in a way that it triggers AntiVirus software.

(in reply to SABRETOOTH2)
Post #: 1296
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 7:09:21 AM   
zumzoom

quote:

I finally managed to get this mod to run, only for it to crash to desktop with an OoM Error.

I have the Windows 2004 unfortunately......is there any way around the memory crash??

It worked for me after I ran the LAA enabler on the game executable. Just search LAA enabler and open the one on techpowerup website, choose laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5 version.
Also might be a good idea to close all applications that you don't need while playing (your browser and other memory or cpu heavy stuff.

(in reply to SABRETOOTH2)
Post #: 1297
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 8:53:23 AM   
Ranbir

May I ask what is specific about needing a different .exe for the bacon mod? If it is just about expanding memory then I can do that on the default .exe can't I?

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to zumzoom)
Post #: 1298
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 11:31:12 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

May I ask what is specific about needing a different .exe for the bacon mod? If it is just about expanding memory then I can do that on the default .exe can't I?

LAA stands for "Large Adress Awareness".
Basically it allows 32-bit code running on a 64-bit OS and Hardware, to move some of the overhead out the space only adressable by 32-bit code. Meaning code that has to run as 32-bit, actually has closer to the full 4 GiB adressable space avalible.

He should have tagged his .exe that way by default, but apparently he forgot? It is easy to forget it when doing that kind of file modification.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 1299
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 1:00:05 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

All of the Bacon features use custom code (well over 10,000 lines as of last check a year ago) for the new/changed features. If I add an update I'll be sure to run it through LAA next time. However, with Distant Worlds 2 announced, I suspect interest in DWU will wane.

Interesting to note how many of the Bacon Mod features seem to have made it into DW2 in some way. Maybe I'll start a thread and count them at some future date.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 1300
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 2:49:41 PM   
BTAxis

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
However, with Distant Worlds 2 announced, I suspect interest in DWU will wane.

Funny you should say that, I've been wanting to get back into DWU and the Bacon mod especially since news of DW2 got going (I applied for the DW2 beta but have to assume I won't make it in).

I've had a go at setting the LAA flag, and it does seem conductive to a stable experience.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1301
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 9:40:04 PM   
Ranbir

quote:

quote:

All of the Bacon features use custom code (well over 10,000 lines as of last check a year ago) for the new/changed features. If I add an update I'll be sure to run it through LAA next time. However, with Distant Worlds 2 announced, I suspect interest in DWU will wane.

Interesting to note how many of the Bacon Mod features seem to have made it into DW2 in some way. Maybe I'll start a thread and count them at some future date.

If it happens that'd be swell but also no biggy if it doesn't.

The announcement of DW2 actually wanted me to play some DWU but I kept aborting cause I couldn't get this stuff to work

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1302
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 10:20:54 PM   
DividedSpleen23

Just wanted to drop a message reporting that I'm having some weird ship behaviors with gravity wells. I do like the feature, but I'm finding a lot of ships pathfinding is taking the long way through a gravity well, instead of bee-lining out into deep space to get into warp range asap.
Also, I'm finding that the prisoner ransom feature is not working on my end. I get the messages that prisoners are available for ransom, and other BaconMod hotkeys are functioning, but Cntrl+P doesn't bring up the prisoner exchange.
Anyways, just dropping a message to see if anyone has any tips for sorting the bugs out. Other than that, the mod is great, and keeps me coming back for more DW.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 1303
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/1/2021 10:56:11 PM   
BTAxis

quote:

I kept aborting cause I couldn't get this stuff to work

Maybe you did something wrong trying to set it up? You should go to the first post in this thread, download both files linked under "Update 2020-10-13", then apply them to your DWU installation in order (first the dropbox archive, then the tinyupload one). Then set the LAA flag as per zumzoom's post above (#1297). Did the trick for me.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 1304
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/2/2021 12:08:37 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

I was wondering how you made those changes anyway. Decompilation and recompilation? Code Injection?

Just having played for a few hours, I could already spot a bunch of simple additions to the filters/map view/UI that would have been very usefull additions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon]

Just looking at the features, a lot of them seem rather common sense UI Upgrades.
Indeed most of the changes I would have loved to do, would have been UI Upgrades as well.
The basic formula was already very solid, it was really only held back by the UI flaws.

As for interest dropping: If anything, you should expect the opposite.
Given that the hype-train started but only the Beta Testers have any access to DW2 in some form, a lot of people will return to the game. Or even buy it for the first time. Just to get a feel for the base game, where it fell flat, etc.
In fact I had owned it for a few years on gog.com but never played, just came back/started seriously for the first time in response to 2 being announced.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1305
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/2/2021 1:11:13 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DividedSpleen23

Just wanted to drop a message reporting that I'm having some weird ship behaviors with gravity wells. I do like the feature, but I'm finding a lot of ships pathfinding is taking the long way through a gravity well, instead of bee-lining out into deep space to get into warp range asap.
Also, I'm finding that the prisoner ransom feature is not working on my end. I get the messages that prisoners are available for ransom, and other BaconMod hotkeys are functioning, but Cntrl+P doesn't bring up the prisoner exchange.

Most missions, but not all, use the shortest method to exit the gravity well. Some missions, such as "escape" I left alone because using the shortest path might take a ship directly toward an enemy. Also, sometimes a ship is outside the gravity well by just a bit and while its hyperdrive is warming up it travels back into the gravity well. In that case it will slowboat it across the well unfortunately.

As for the prisoner form, use alt-tab to see if it opened up in the background. Sometimes when you open it the game does something that gives focus back to the main screen and then the form is opened in the background. I can probably fix that in the future to see if the form is already open and bring it to the front if it is.

(in reply to DividedSpleen23)
Post #: 1306
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/4/2021 9:35:01 PM   
Ranbir

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

Maybe you did something wrong trying to set it up? You should go to the first post in this thread, download both files linked under "Update 2020-10-13", then apply them to your DWU installation in order (first the dropbox archive, then the tinyupload one). Then set the LAA flag as per zumzoom's post above (#1297). Did the trick for me.

Get a network error trying the tinyupload file.

Edit: So my nod32 is telling me win32/genkryptik.eomy , false positive?

< Message edited by Ranbir -- 2/4/2021 9:37:24 PM >

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1307
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/4/2021 10:34:07 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

quote:

Get a network error trying the tinyupload file.

Edit: So my nod32 is telling me win32/genkryptik.eomy , false positive?

Yes. My AV, BitDefender, keeps deleting the exe even when I compile it. I'm working on a small update and it is very frustrating. I've added an exception but it is still flagging sometimes. It's making the build process a real pain. I have no idea why this has started recently. I can assume it has something to do with how I got it to work with the Windows 2004 patch. I'll notify BitDefender again and hopefully get it resolved.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 1308
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/6/2021 1:29:53 PM   
Journier

thanks for the work Roger, I came back after dw2 was announced and finally got your mod running. always a pleasure.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1309
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/6/2021 7:31:19 PM   
BTAxis

RogerBacon, heads up, I set the saveStats flag to false in the config, but the mod still outputs the stats. And, well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ honestly, but maybe you want to fix it if you're still working on it anyway.

Also, I can't seem to get the !filterresource command to work. The resource list does sort by distance to the selected object though, but it does that regardless of this command.

< Message edited by BTAxis -- 2/7/2021 11:44:14 AM >

(in reply to Journier)
Post #: 1310
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/7/2021 4:17:29 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

RogerBacon, heads up, I set the saveStats flag to false in the config, but the mod still outputs the stats. And, well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ honestly, but maybe you want to fix it if you're still working on it anyway.

Also, I can't seem to get the !filterresource command to work. The resource list does sort by distance to the selected object though, but it does that regardless of this command.

For saveStats, make sure you haev it exactly like this saveStats=false
Also, since this sets a recurring event in the game, if you have it set to on when the game starts changing it later won't make a difference since its already set to happen. In that case you can change the interval to a really large number like 10000 and that should stop it from creating new entries at least.

The list on the left does indeed order by distance if an object is selected, regardless of whether you are filtering or not.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1311
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/8/2021 11:18:05 AM   
BTAxis

quote:

Also, since this sets a recurring event in the game, if you have it set to on when the game starts changing it later won't make a difference since its already set to happen. In that case you can change the interval to a really large number like 10000 and that should stop it from creating new entries at least.

Ah, gotcha. That would explain it, thanks.

Also, it occurs to me that !filterresource is a long word to type every time I want to filter, and is also prone to typing errors. Maybe consider adding an alias like !fr, so I can just type !fr steel to invoke the filter.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1312
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/8/2021 9:22:48 PM   
Badbonez

Is there a way to correct the font?

I am on a 1440p monitor and I have the high DPI setting controlled by the application

Thanks!

< Message edited by Badbonez -- 2/8/2021 9:25:52 PM >

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1313
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/9/2021 8:50:42 AM   
BTAxis

The custom bomber dialog is a little misleading because the buttons for shield strength say "-100" and "+100", suggesting that these are absolute values, while in fact they're percentages. Did the percentage sign not fit on the button maybe?

Maybe you could reorganize the dialog a little like so:

This way you get precisely the bomber's stats easily readable at a glance, and it also solves the ambiguity I mentioned earlier.

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 1314
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/9/2021 2:34:30 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

The custom bomber dialog is a little misleading because the buttons for shield strength say "-100" and "+100", suggesting that these are absolute values, while in fact they're percentages. Did the percentage sign not fit on the button maybe?

Yeah, it looks like that's what happened. I can make the button slightly bigger but I don't think I'll have time to go back and redo the entire form. Hopefully people will realize that the fighter isn't getting 100 extra shields.

It's always nice to hear someone is using these features, even if they are having difficulty with some of the elements.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1315
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/10/2021 8:40:42 AM   
elsimate

Hello. I have managed to launch Bacon+RetreatUE combo but there is one problem - flickering research screen. Other interface windows work fine, only research has this problem. Any solutions?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1316
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/10/2021 9:04:42 AM   
BTAxis

quote:

ORIGINAL: elsimate

Hello. I have managed to launch Bacon+RetreatUE combo but there is one problem - flickering research screen. Other interface windows work fine, only research has this problem. Any solutions?

I had this same issue until I set the LAA flag on the executable, which also really improved stability for me. I still sometimes see the flickering, but only after playing for a long time, and it's usually a direct precursor to a crash. I think the flickering is a signal that the game is running out of memory.

(in reply to elsimate)
Post #: 1317
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/10/2021 9:46:51 AM   
elsimate

It solved the problem, thanks

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1318
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/13/2021 10:32:11 AM   
BTAxis

quote:

For saveStats, make sure you haev it exactly like this saveStats=false
Also, since this sets a recurring event in the game, if you have it set to on when the game starts changing it later won't make a difference since its already set to happen.

I checked this on a new game, and it still creates the files, even when the setting is set to false.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1319
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/13/2021 11:52:11 PM   
eddiaz79

Hello Everyone,
Hopefully someone can help me. I recently downloaded the Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome but had problems running the game because my windows version was windows 10 20H2.

Once I figured out that I had to download the separate exe from the link above for windows 10 20H2, I decided to download but got a warning from my antivirus bit defender that it was a Trojan. I downloaded after careful review of comments and the mod started to work. However, my Bit defender antivirus automatically removed the exe and stated that it was a gen variant Bulz either a virus or trojan and deleted the exe distant worlds exe which automatically crashed the game of course. I then started to scan the exe that was provided in the link above that states for windows ten 2004 use this and it kept being detected as a virus or jrojan.

My question is should I be worried, Is this EXE that allows the Bacon Mod to run 1.81R a virus/Trojan? Should I delete the mod and completely remove every file? is the link above compromised?

< Message edited by eddiaz79 -- 2/14/2021 2:47:02 AM >

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 1320
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI