Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonization

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Colonization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonization - 2/1/2021 10:32:12 AM   
Kingah

One of my favourite additions to DW through the Bacon mod was the ability to colonize asteroids and gave rise to one of my favourite playthroughs. A stellar empire where pretty much every rock in the solar system was colonized.

Is this something that will be possible in DW2? Where you can colonize barren worlds and asteroids or will it at least be possible to mod in to some extent?

< Message edited by Kingah -- 2/1/2021 10:33:23 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Colonization - 2/1/2021 10:58:31 AM   
zgrssd

In Stellaris, the Habitats act as a sort of "Super Mining Station" on top of being a place for population:
- You get the basic income a Mining station would
- You can use the population to increase the Mining Rate (in Stellaris by buildign Districts, wich can quickly outstrip the Mining Station income; DW2 has not go that extreme as the economy System is slightly better)
- Habitats above planets without Resources can still provide income via Trade/Private economy
They can be placed above any planet, even colonized planets. But only planets, not moons or smaler.

The big worry with such a system is usually that you end up with too many planets/planetlike things to manage. Even with DWU style automation and low management effort for colonies (limited facilities), it would still be a massive CPU drain to run them all.
Nevermind the issues of conquering a System with a Dozen colonies. All for a questionable addition to the game.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/1/2021 10:59:39 AM >

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonization - 2/1/2021 10:59:11 PM   
Ranbir

You can always imagine the mining base that is on that asteroid must have a population of sorts.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonization - 2/2/2021 7:13:09 AM   
SilverCitadel

habitat modules contribute to boarding defense ( an active population that would resist boarding parties from assault pods) AND you can equip assault pods to a mining station or any structure and they will work assuming their shields are down or low and within range. Pirates take over mining stations by boarding them so mining stations are populated in some sense. So in a way mining stations are kinda like a mining colony anyway without population propagation. They don't experience population growth and only "grow" according to you adding more habitat and life support modules but TO BE FAIR why live there when you have many colonies at 0% tax rate anyway and even if you taxed all your colonies at 99% and are ****ty planets there are passenger ships that would send them to a foreign planet as a migrant that appeals to them more anyway so a literal mining colony doesn't really make sense to me in DW:U when a population has those options. Mining stations also reserve resources to friendly nation freighters or military refueling so they kinda take part in trading too so again I think mining stations only missing aspect to a proper colony I can think of at this time is population growth. As a Cherry on top you can name your mining station design as "mining colony" along with all the points I have made.

< Message edited by SilverCitadel -- 2/2/2021 7:40:55 AM >

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonization - 2/2/2021 9:08:51 AM   
Hyperion1

It was in Bacon Mode? I not noticed that but that's an awesome adding !

(in reply to SilverCitadel)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonization - 2/2/2021 10:28:24 AM   
zgrssd

I just had an idea for a purpose for this: Manufacturing.

You need only Steel to make armor Plates (at least in 1). What if the Steel Mining station, actually produced armor plates from the Steel it mines?
1 Armor plate would be easier to transport/store and propably have a better sellprice then 5 Steel.

They would still have to sell some steel of course (there are plenty of products that do not use Armor Plates, but raw steel as the resource). And there are a lot of components, with no mining station having access to all resources.
Maybe they could add some intermediate products. The planets can of course do the full conversion of:
Material -> Intermediate Product -> Component for the ships

But mining habitats might only make one or some of the intermediate products.

Edit:
I realized, since planets now can build all kinds of ships (just slower), maybe a Mining Habitat could actually make and send out it's own freighters/miners, to gather the resources it is lacking for the finished products?

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/2/2021 11:00:28 AM >

(in reply to Hyperion1)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Colonization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll