Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just some wishes about strategic resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Just some wishes about strategic resources Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/30/2021 3:53:36 PM   
zgrssd

When hearing about DW2. I started playing DWU again/seriously for the first time. And I do have some wishes regarding the resources:

1. Things should tell me how much of any given resource they still need/need in total. That is both planets doing a construction and ships in the designer.
All DWU tells me "we are missing X and have no mining station for X" or "Production stalled because X is missing".
No indication how much X we need, how far away my only supply of X is, etc.

2. A Empire wide overview
I would need a empire wide overview for all resources of:
- Demand. That should include all currently undergoing operations - every ship or mining station in the queue across my entire empire.
- Supply. All the deposits I got under my mining stations/on my colonies
- In transit. How much is currently in transit to be delivered - on freighters of my own empire, in mining ships of my own empire. Can include how much si already delivered (waiting for the rest of the resources to start production).
- Extended in transit. Like in Transit, except it includes stuff that has not yet been retreived from the station/mined out or will have to be bought from another empire (indicating the lack of a stable supply).

3. Less is more. There are so many resource, it is hard to even understand wich one is important/a bottleneck/a important resource. If you got a lot of resoruces, a lot of them just become noise. Noise that makes it hard to figure out the ones that really mater.
And to top it off, some of them are pretty...trivial to get anyway. Carbon Fibre? Can be made from Carbon.
Steel? That is literally just Iron + Carbon.
The need to extract Hydrogen from Gas giants? it is the most common element, with a estimated 75% of the total visible weight of the universe!
Helium? That is a estimated 24% of all visible mass in the unvierse. (The remaining 1% are the heavier elements).
How is any lost colony going "space age", if it has no access to steel? Or Carbon? Or Helium?

You could cut them out entirely, without much loss. If you still want it for idel traffic, consider combining them into "Common Solids" and "Common gasses".

4. Pre-FTL in system drive
A big issue with the pre-FTL setting, is the difficulty of using the resources in your home System. On top of travel between Systems, the FTL especially allows quick travel within a System.
The same mining station/planet can be simulation years away or simulation minutes, depending on if you got Warp drive. This makes both the exploitation and defense of those assets impossible. Basically unless it is in the same moon/planet system as your starting colony, it might as well not exist.

Maybe you could give us a early "proto Warpdrive"? One that allows FTL or near FTL travel - but only within a system.
Plenty of hard-ish SciFi settings have a drive that is almost lightspeed for travel between points of interest within a solar system, but does not really allow for interstellar travel (as it is still to slow for that):
The cruiser drives from Freelancer and Elite Dangerous.
The IP Drive from Nexus: Jupiter Incident.
LDS drive from Indipendence War 1+2.
Those are just a few that come to mind.

The rules are usually:
- quick acceleration
- instant deceleration
- chargeup time
- disables the use of weapons (other then ones used to disrupt enemy drives, maybe)
- disables the use of defenses (only soem variats), making the chargeup time extra dangerous/a non-combat maneuver
- lacks either the range or speed to actually go interstellar distances on any feasible timeframe
Post #: 1
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/30/2021 5:43:35 PM   
Latisrof

For number's 1 and 2, all of this information is available, though I'll admit not easily accessible to new comers, 3 I could care less either way as it seems to me the resources are just ingredients to form a product with different tiers making stronger or weaker products. (making resources limited over all would be cool though)

4 is about preference, some people like the challenge of prewarp, though I usually don't mind either way because you don't have to play in pre warp if you don't want to.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/30/2021 5:58:26 PM   
Sild

I take issue with your point 3.

No need to cut anything out. Please don't do it. If anything give other means of obtaining said resources and new avenues in using them. Don't fall into the pitfalls of cutting things just because. It's the last thing I'd want to see.

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 3
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/30/2021 8:00:35 PM   
Miletkir

If Pre-warp mechanics annoy you, my suggestion is to just start at the Warp era. What you describe is meant to be, sub-light speed is slow and planning/management necessarily different. But this is where it starts.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 4
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/31/2021 8:03:55 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sild

I take issue with your point 3.

No need to cut anything out. Please don't do it. If anything give other means of obtaining said resources and new avenues in using them. Don't fall into the pitfalls of cutting things just because. It's the last thing I'd want to see.

If we can fabricate it, that really just drives home how unimportant it is. I am already paying a ton of credits. Can't the private economy figure out how to run a steel mill on it's own?

Just looking a bit at the Modding Guide, apparently DWU/DW1 already contained code to have colonies produce resources. It was purely based on population and mutually exclusive with finding the same stuff in space (I think). But it had the option, roughly speaking.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir

If Pre-warp mechanics annoy you, my suggestion is to just start at the Warp era. What you describe is meant to be, sub-light speed is slow and planning/management necessarily different. But this is where it starts.

I like the concept of the Pre-FTL start. But given that I am already limited to a single system, it would be nice if I at least could defend and exploit that one somewhat reliably.

Of course I am not talking about Day 1 in-system drive. But as the first (rather easy to do) step of getting full on warpdrives it would be usefull in itself.
In DWU the Warpfield precursors already kinda did this. It could be given even less range, but be made easier to get.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 5
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/31/2021 9:16:42 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

For pre-Warp they have included an "early" type of FTL drive that are mainly viable for system jumps called a skip-drive... you should be able to research this drive very fast (as seen from the preview)... probably around the time you build one or more structures around your planets neighbouring bodies (if any).

In regards to resources I also think it would be a mistake to remove resources, the more resources there are in the game the more the reason there will be for trade as you are always going to lack some valuable resources. As long as there is some balance between the expenditure of resources and the quantity of them there should not be a problem. I don't mind if we need to mine some of the more common material as well as the more exotic ones... in general most bodies might not have enough easily accessible of most common resources so not worth mining them, so the ones we get in the game are where there are enough easily accessible resources we do get to mine. We just need to view if from a rather abstracted point of view, no big deal in my opinion.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 1/31/2021 9:27:02 PM   
BigWolfChris

Tbf, the amount of different resources is what seperates DW from most other games - but it really only works because of the automated state of the game

As for FTL, the issue I feel is more balance than anything

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 7
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 12:03:02 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

For pre-Warp they have included an "early" type of FTL drive that are mainly viable for system jumps called a skip-drive... you should be able to research this drive very fast (as seen from the preview)... probably around the time you build one or more structures around your planets neighbouring bodies (if any).

Good news on the skip drive.

quote:

In regards to resources I also think it would be a mistake to remove resources, the more resources there are in the game the more the reason there will be for trade as you are always going to lack some valuable resources.

Valuable resource are the operating words. If it is very common and found on 3 kinds of stellar objects - it is not a valuable resource. Tracking it is really just busy work and wasted CPU cycles.

Now I can only go of DWU data, but using that:
Aculon? Very common, but only on one planet type. A keeper, as the place to roll it is rare.

Argon, Helium? Very common at both gas Giants + Gas Clouds. Pointless to track.
Gold, Lead, Steel, Iridium? Very common. At Barren Rock, Continental and Asteroids.
Those are all way to common. When were they ever a valuable and/or limited resource? Something you could aim a raid at?

Caslon? Very common and found like Argon/Helium/Hydrogen, but it is rather important as early game fuel. So it is worth tracking.
Hydrogen? While it works like a Fuel like Caslon, we can literally gather it from the interstellar medium. That is what a Ramscoop or Star Treks Bussard Collectors do. It is also advanced fuel, so we might be able to just entirely ignore it as a limited resource. You may still ened refueling, but getting the fuel is childs play.
Unless we talk about a rare isotope, like Helium-3 or something.

Carbon Fibre? seems way to uncommon. We built almost everything out of the stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber_reinforced_polymer#Applications And the main ingredient is carbon - a stellar fusion product and the basis of all carbon based biochemistry. it is literally in the air we are exhaling.
But I heard they replaced it with the Fictional "Carbonite", so it can be rarer. As long as iti s not quite that universally nessesary.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/1/2021 12:04:19 AM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 12:18:04 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

Valuable resource are the operating words. If it is very common and found on 3 kinds of stellar objects - it is not a valuable resource. Tracking it is really just busy work and wasted CPU cycles.

Now I can only go of DWU data, but using that:
Aculon? Very common, but only on one planet type. A keeper, as the place to roll it is rare.

Argon, Helium? Very common at both gas Giants + Gas Clouds. Pointless to track.
Gold, Lead, Steel, Iridium? Very common. At Barren Rock, Continental and Asteroids.
Those are all way to common. When were they ever a valuable and/or limited resource? Something you could aim a raid at?

Caslon? Very common and found like Argon/Helium/Hydrogen, but it is rather important as early game fuel. So it is worth tracking.
Hydrogen? While it works like a Fuel like Caslon, we can literally gather it from the interstellar medium. That is what a Ramscoop or Star Treks Bussard Collectors do. It is also advanced fuel, so we might be able to just entirely ignore it as a limited resource. You may still ened refueling, but getting the fuel is childs play.
Unless we talk about a rare isotope, like Helium-3 or something.

Carbon Fibre? seems way to uncommon. We built almost everything out of the stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber_reinforced_polymer#Applications And the main ingredient is carbon - a stellar fusion product and the basis of all carbon based biochemistry. it is literally in the air we are exhaling.
But I heard they replaced it with the Fictional "Carbonite", so it can be rarer. As long as iti s not quite that universally nessesary.

It doesn't matter how common a specific resource are in the game as long as it is balanced in terms of demand of that resource in general. This should mean that any resource will have a chance to become scarce at some point depending on how high the demand is. This is a pure balance act.

I don't care what technobabble you use to explain in what quantities you need certain resources and why... there probably are thousands of ways you can rationally explain anything to be internally consistent so I will not even try.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/1/2021 12:19:23 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 2:17:32 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

1. Things should tell me how much of any given resource they still need/need in total. That is both planets doing a construction and ships in the designer.
All DWU tells me "we are missing X and have no mining station for X" or "Production stalled because X is missing".

First, resource cost is now paid when you build something rather than starting to build and then getting the resources over time. Also, the cost is made clear and resource shortages are much, much easier to see and understand.

quote:

- Demand. That should include all currently undergoing operations - every ship or mining station in the queue across my entire empire.
- In transit. How much is currently in transit to be delivered - on freighters of my own empire, in mining ships of my own empire. Can include how much si already delivered (waiting for the rest of the resources to start production).
- Extended in transit. Like in Transit, except it includes stuff that has not yet been retreived from the station/mined out or will have to be bought from another empire (indicating the lack of a stable supply).

This exists but not with every category above summarized but still much more easily accessible and transparent than in DW1. We might add more break-out categories if it proves useful during the beta.

quote:

3. Less is more. There are so many resource, it is hard to even understand wich one is important/a bottleneck/a important resource. If you got a lot of resoruces, a lot of them just become noise. Noise that makes it hard to figure out the ones that really mater.
And to top it off, some of them are pretty...trivial to get anyway. Carbon Fibre? Can be made from Carbon.
The need to extract Hydrogen from Gas giants? it is the most common element, with a estimated 75% of the total visible weight of the universe!
Helium? That is a estimated 24% of all visible mass in the unvierse. (The remaining 1% are the heavier elements).
How is any lost colony going "space age", if it has no access to steel? Or Carbon? Or Helium?
You could cut them out entirely, without much loss. If you still want it for idel traffic, consider combining them into "Common Solids" and "Common gasses".

Resource abundance is decreased from DW1, mining rates are decreased, some resources (even construction resources) are more scarce than others, etc. Typically, the more scarce resources are needed for the more advanced technologies.

As far as re-doing the resources along more real-world lines, that's certainly possible, it's just not quite what we were aiming for.

quote:

A big issue with the pre-FTL setting, is the difficulty of using the resources in your home System. On top of travel between Systems, the FTL especially allows quick travel within a System.
The same mining station/planet can be simulation years away or simulation minutes, depending on if you got Warp drive. This makes both the exploitation and defense of those assets impossible. Basically unless it is in the same moon/planet system as your starting colony, it might as well not exist.

Maybe you could give us a early "proto Warpdrive"? One that allows FTL or near FTL travel - but only within a system.

We did, it's called the Skip Drive and you can/should get it quite quickly in base DW2. :-)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 10:49:08 AM   
zgrssd

Good news on the Skip Drive and better UI.

quote:

Resource abundance is decreased from DW1, mining rates are decreased, some resources (even construction resources) are more scarce than others, etc. Typically, the more scarce resources are needed for the more advanced technologies.

The problem with making construction resources scarce, is that there is a realistic chance that you can not build anything - at all - if you ever a shortage of them.
I learned the hard way that being unable to do something, is a realy crappy situation to be in as a player.

Also the part where rare resources are "only" used for advanced technologies, would clash with the auto-designer feature. It either:
- makes designs with those advanced technologies, wich would always cost those resources and the rares could quickly become the bottleneck
- does not make design with those advanced technologies, meaning they would be never really used even if the resources are availible

I did once thought up a solution for Stellaris:
There Tier 1-3 of gear just costs the basic construction resource, but 4+5 does costs rare resources
What if you could order give a "do not use rares" build order, where all the T4+5 gear of a design is replaced with Tier 3 gear - thus removing any need to accumualte those rare resources for those instances. You could still retrofit it with the proper weapons later.
Maybe you could apply it here? Maybe two designs, one high tech and one lower tech? Maybe a toggle that simply replaces existing components with lower tier ones if the costs for rares works similar?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 11:37:19 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

The problem with making construction resources scarce, is that there is a realistic chance that you can not build anything - at all - if you ever a shortage of them.
I learned the hard way that being unable to do something, is a realy crappy situation to be in as a player.

Also the part where rare resources are "only" used for advanced technologies, would clash with the auto-designer feature. It either:
- makes designs with those advanced technologies, wich would always cost those resources and the rares could quickly become the bottleneck
- does not make design with those advanced technologies, meaning they would be never really used even if the resources are availible

There Tier 1-3 of gear just costs the basic construction resource, but 4+5 does costs rare resources
What if you could order give a "do not use rares" build order, where all the T4+5 gear of a design is replaced with Tier 3 gear - thus removing any need to accumualte those rare resources for those instances. You could still retrofit it with the proper weapons later.
Maybe you could apply it here? Maybe two designs, one high tech and one lower tech? Maybe a toggle that simply replaces existing components with lower tier ones if the costs for rares works similar?

Scarce resources is what drives conflict which you generally need in a game to some degree. It also means that you can benefit from trade, both to buy and sell these scarce resources. You have to see the benefit in this model...

Looking at the resources you have and planning around them is part of why I like a game economy like this. You can control the Auto-design with the research you do if you necessarily need to rely on the auto design feature.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 12
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/1/2021 10:52:14 PM   
Ranbir

Private sector will always do its best to deliver you resources you need. The emphasis of you controlling the 'source' is what becomes strategic importance.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 13
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 12:19:22 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scarce resources is what drives conflict which you generally need in a game to some degree.

My point was this:
If it needs to be very common to not hardlock the player, it stops being a Scarce resource that drives conflict.
And if it is not a scarce resource, why have it in the game at all?

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 14
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 1:03:16 AM   
Erik Rutins

Clearly there is a balance to be struck and that's our job to get the balance right, where between the abundance of resources and the effectiveness of the private sector, you feel that you can create a nicely working economy in peace-time, but when your lines of supply are being raided and your mining stations destroyed or captured, some resource may start to become scarce.

First, you'll start depleting the stockpiles you've built up at your colonies and spaceports. Then, if you can't prevail and protect your economy, you may have to rely on more expensive sources of the scarce resources, either from independent traders or other empires with whom you have trade relations (hopefully good trade relations, so they don't charge you extra), or even explore (or conquer?) for other alternative sources. In the worst case, you may have to settle for lower tech options for your ships and stations until the more scarce resources become available again.

There's a lot to consider in all these cases and a lot to balance, but done properly it should create a lot of interesting situations and challenges when your empire is pushed out of equilibrium, without making things frustrating to plan and optimize.

As in DW1, there are also a few resources that are ultra-rare, perhaps only one or two sources in the entire galaxy. These are most likely, if trade is denied, to cause a conflict. The others are more likely to have the effects described above during a conflict.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 15
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 1:07:14 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

First, resource cost is now paid when you build something rather than starting to build and then getting the resources over time. Also, the cost is made clear and resource shortages are much, much easier to see and understand.

quote:

This exists but not with every category above summarized but still much more easily accessible and transparent than in DW1. We might add more break-out categories if it proves useful during the beta.

quote:

As far as re-doing the resources along more real-world lines, that's certainly possible, it's just not quite what we were aiming for.

quote:

We did, it's called the Skip Drive and you can/should get it quite quickly in base DW2. :-)

Regards,

- Erik

Oh all of these changes sound sooo much better! Music to my ears!

Post #: 16
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 2:16:31 AM   
Miskatonic81

For a game with such heavy focus on logistics, supply chains, and resource flow, I'd argue that having more types of resources is better than less. More resources means more reason to keep exploring and exploiting, and I guess trading if you're into that sort of thing.

If it's just the realism of things like hydrogen and carbon, then it seems like it would be easily moddable. But removing resources feels like it would remove a large drive of what makes the game work.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 17
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 8:15:59 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Clearly there is a balance to be struck and that's our job to get the balance right, where between the abundance of resources and the effectiveness of the private sector, you feel that you can create a nicely working economy in peace-time, but when your lines of supply are being raided and your mining stations destroyed or captured, some resource may start to become scarce.

First, you'll start depleting the stockpiles you've built up at your colonies and spaceports. Then, if you can't prevail and protect your economy, you may have to rely on more expensive sources of the scarce resources, either from independent traders or other empires with whom you have trade relations (hopefully good trade relations, so they don't charge you extra), or even explore (or conquer?) for other alternative sources. In the worst case, you may have to settle for lower tech options for your ships and stations until the more scarce resources become available again.

There's a lot to consider in all these cases and a lot to balance, but done properly it should create a lot of interesting situations and challenges when your empire is pushed out of equilibrium, without making things frustrating to plan and optimize.

As in DW1, there are also a few resources that are ultra-rare, perhaps only one or two sources in the entire galaxy. These are most likely, if trade is denied, to cause a conflict. The others are more likely to have the effects described above during a conflict.

I also assume that some scarcity can also be introduced through having some areas of space being more or less abundant by even common resources?
So, an empire might be in an area where some common resources just happen to be a bit more scarce so you need to trade for them or expand into an area where they are more abundant.

At least I suppose that is one way that conflict can be driven by resources to some degree.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/2/2021 8:16:34 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 8:19:47 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miskatonic81

For a game with such heavy focus on logistics, supply chains, and resource flow, I'd argue that having more types of resources is better than less. More resources means more reason to keep exploring and exploiting, and I guess trading if you're into that sort of thing.

If it's just the realism of things like hydrogen and carbon, then it seems like it would be easily moddable. But removing resources feels like it would remove a large drive of what makes the game work.

I would agree, the less resource types you have the easier it would be to get a good balance through mining and not needing to trade for them. The more resources the more likely you are to run short of at least some of them which drives you to expand or trade for them.

(in reply to Miskatonic81)
Post #: 19
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 9:04:37 AM   
Perry_Rhodan

Galactic Civilization III, despite all its flaws (and they are numerous, but it mostly comes from the devs not wanting to fix long standing bugs) had done it right on the special resources. This is not systematical in the tech tree, but you'll notice that some techs provide 2 variants of the same weapon. One requiring a special resource, and a weaker one only using credits (no resource). This second line of weapons allow you to continue progressing in tech and combat efficiency, but you'll definitively want to put your hands (or tentacles, whatever) on more special resources.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 20
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 9:38:52 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

Good to hear the general idea is to have DW2 push empires out of "equilibrium," so to speak, as I felt it didn't happen nearly as much as it should've in DW1.

If this not the case, it would be rather redundant to track so many different types of resources. Abundance defeats the purpose of a detailed economic simulation, whereas scarcity amplifies it: shortages encourage empires to either maintain positive relations with neighboring powers for their supply, or to outright invade in pursuit of acquiring their fair share through brute force. Control over the acquisition and flow of precious resources is historically one of the most fundamental causes of strife, and if done right in Distant Worlds 2, would most certainly put its complex economic simulation to use.

Here's to a carefully balanced DW2.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/2/2021 9:40:03 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 9:39:00 AM   
Hyperion1

Yes I liked this system, making empires seeking strongly for these specials ressources, but an empire with a shortage of them can still build things, just less powerful/effective.

In DWU I had very common problem at every of my games, that is to say a shortage of Carbon Fiber, usually there were only one spot with this ressource in the whole quadrant of the galaxy, and I placed every time all my fleet on this spot, neglecting the rest of the universe, because it was the only ressource it gave a shortage.
The carbon Fiber is necessary for all base/ships build. If we can't build mine or constructors we just die. And sometime smuggler come only at mid game.

(in reply to Perry_Rhodan)
Post #: 22
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 10:57:22 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

My big question is if the automatic ship designer (and thus by extension the AI) is aware that some resources for some tech are scarce. And thus not installs them.

Like: "We do not have access to Krypton or Aculon - propably should not install seeker missiles into everything".
Or "Not that well supplied with Helium, I propably should not install Maxos blasters over Pulse Blasters"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miskatonic81

At least for me:
A few rare resources that my humand mind can keep track off
>
So many resources, I need a UI just to keep track of how much need/supply I have.

Maybe the new UI is as big of a improvement as I hope.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan

Galactic Civilization III, despite all its flaws (and they are numerous, but it mostly comes from the devs not wanting to fix long standing bugs) had done it right on the special resources. This is not systematical in the tech tree, but you'll notice that some techs provide 2 variants of the same weapon. One requiring a special resource, and a weaker one only using credits (no resource). This second line of weapons allow you to continue progressing in tech and combat efficiency, but you'll definitively want to put your hands (or tentacles, whatever) on more special resources.

From the Endless Series, at least Endless Legends and Endless Space 2 use a similar approach. 2 Lines of Strategic Resources, 3 Tiers deep.
For every Tier there is a generic version and a Strategic Resource using version
Not sure who copied from who here.

Stellaris just limits rare resource consumption to T4+T5 gear. And has a lot of resource buffs moved into the "spend lump sum for 10 year buff" Edicts. But realistically they could change it to add Maintenance cost or even raw cost per module.

(in reply to Hyperion1)
Post #: 23
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 2:41:55 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

An AI should be able to see and relatively easily calculate what resources it has and what it mines and what it could get from trade and use that to plan both research and ship construction. As the numbers are there this should not be a huge issue to solve.

I would agree that if the AI just randomly choose a technology and then just put the best weapons tech it has in their ships without any regard to resource income it can become a problem. I do hope there is some cross reference between research, production and resource extraction (trade).

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/2/2021 3:37:28 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 24
RE: Just some wishes about strategic resources - 2/2/2021 2:53:57 PM   
BIGtrouble77

I didn't read through all of the comments here, but are smuggling missions still a thing? That felt like it was more of a band-aid in DW1 to address resource shortages early on, but it was kind of nice to have a positive side to the pirates. I have not noticed any mention of it for DW2.

Sorry Jorgen, this isn't supposed to be a reply to you and I can't seem to fix that.

< Message edited by BIGtrouble77 -- 2/2/2021 2:56:40 PM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Just some wishes about strategic resources Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI