Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW2 Stream Feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> DW2 Stream Feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW2 Stream Feedback - 1/27/2021 12:49:04 AM   
Whiskiz

Made a thread providing alot of feedback about the awesome stream, my personal favorite parts as well as the one and only thing i outright didn't like the look of.

The page errored when i tried to submit and i lost it all lol.

The good stuff is good so doesn't really need to be repeated, so i'll just leave a quick message about the one thing i didn't like the look of:

The UI cosmetics: they look straight out of DW1, an outdated dull/uninspired white-on-grey-on-black for 90% of it. Here's an example from a recent Matrix Games full release - Shadow Empire:

https://imgur.com/a/NoPIBPX

Notice the difference a nicely contrasted and vibrant UI looks, even when the color used was brown.

Shame to have such amazing looking space backgrounds, ships and structures, planets with even the sun reflecting on them - to have the supporting/surrounding UI look straight out of DW1.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/27/2021 6:07:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 12:51:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

Oh come on, post the good stuff too!

I will say that I did a bit of a double-take on this feedback. The UI to me looks quite different from DW1 and certainly has more color as well. Are you comparing to the base DW1 UI or some modded version?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 2
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 12:54:11 AM   
Whiskiz

It was a big post and i lost it all haha, but now i def will go and make it all again

Random buttons and icons and things throughout the UI are vibrant and have color and look good, but 90% of it looks outdated - i'll look at the stream again and make some random timestamps for reference and yeah compared to default DW1.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/27/2021 6:23:24 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 1:17:45 AM   
Whiskiz

Stream examples:

39:25 - Some awesome looking and vibrant resource icons and info specifically. Nicely done.

39:43 - The main buttons top left corner, the ship info and ship construction menu on the left, the buttons bottom right corner and even some of the top right - all dull and grey. 90% of the UI.

42:40 - Almost the entire right side is the overarching dull outdated grey theme, the left side has a bit more updated vibrancy.

45:20 - The planet info box bottom left has some great updated vibrancy - on top of the dull grey outdated theme.

Completely random, first found examples. Many more menus with the majority of it.

Apologies for needing to look through specific parts of the stream for a better idea.

My favorite parts of the stream:

-It's awesome that the races that aren't playable on release, have been added as independent colonies to conquer and having special bonuses for doing so? A great addition that didn't need to be done but was.

-It's actually great that Pirate play isn't being added in yet: If they get their own major DLC/expansion it gives a bigger and better opportunity for them to receive alot more development and fleshing out, while also giving the base game which is much more important, that much more development first. Can't wait to see how playing as a pirate ends up with post-release development and support.

The cynic in me from the triple-A gaming industry would see this as nothing more than a ploy to sell extra DLC/expansions, but here i'm optimistic that it does indeed mean a better base game first and then a better and more fleshed out pirate play later on instead.

-It's cool there's additional orders to give ships, even within the same category such as an exploration order like scouting enemy territory.

-I like the new world gen options and its presentation via the rotating galaxy, with more interesting and better generated/setup of stars.

-The fleet battle was awesome and what i was hoping to see a preview of, even if it has to be zoomed in all the way to see what's going on in a battle and is a little hard especially to keep track of whose bombers and fighters are whose, what they're doing currently, who has fighter/bomber superiority at all times and/or generally what's happening with them.

-Adding shipwreck salvaging after battles is cool, even more so with the "Space Rats" being big fans of salvaging

Edit: I forgot to add some things in this remade post of the one i initially lost, including the fact that i like the actual setup/layout of the UI, it combines the best of both of the main buttons at the top from DW1 as well as the list on left hand side of it.

Also about the comparison example i provided from Shadow Empire, where the grey was default on release and the improved version someone having modded it.

I went on to say you could wait for it to be modded again but there's alot of menus in DW2 to work on, people generally don't want to have to need mods early on a release, and the fact that it'd be a bit of a shame to have that as base compared to the rest of the improvements in the game both graphical and otherwise.

I also said that instead of the Brown, imagine a nice deep Blue or something which is kind of iconic for Distant Worlds, both due to Dastactics awesome work on the UI in the original and the main menu of DW1 being very blue.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/27/2021 6:22:35 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 7:05:07 AM   
Miletkir

The new UI organization in DW2 is way ahead of DW:U, but I agree that the palette and contrast can be improved. The texture and art bits of Shadow Empire's UI are to my taste too, but that's not necessarily the design choice for DW2.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 5
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 9:33:00 AM   
Galaxy227

To add, the UI presented in the recent DW2 gameplay reveal was miles ahead of DW:U's, by a long shot. Anybody who hates DW2's UI clearly hasn't played enough of Universe. It's not flawless, but certainly much better. I for one am looking forward to the improved user interface.

I think Miletkir is on the right track though, talking about contrast and all. Perhaps a darker theme for the UI isn't too terribly distinctive when presented on top of the black background of space?

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/31/2021 10:26:34 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 10:27:39 AM   
Whiskiz

The brightness isn't the issue, here's a random pic of Elite Dangerous for example with a more vibrant, updated UI while still being completely dark except for the information that needs to be read:

https://imgur.com/4h5iVQM

Maybe a little overboard, maybe not. Just an example and still miles ahead.

Here's another example that isn't all that bright, of an updated UI done right - from Stellaris:

https://imgur.com/W6sXU7F

As i previously mentioned it'd be great to see an updated theme in blue, since it's an iconic and easily recognizable color of the series because of Das UI and:

https://imgur.com/hYbpz60

Texturing, shading, an overall colored theme.

Note the darkness in the first image, how it even kind of enhances the immersion of being in the big deep dark space. Outdated UI can even negatively impact immersion.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/27/2021 10:34:25 AM >

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 7
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 10:51:00 AM   
Miletkir

This is just quick and rough photoshopping, but here's what you can get with adjusting vibrance, brightness and contrast on the existing UI. See the difference with the left pane:

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 8
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 11:12:17 AM   
OnePercent

Whiskiz, you can't use that Elite Dangerous UI as comparison, because it is modded.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 9
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 11:34:05 AM   
Whiskiz

Miletkir - Most of it now pops but the buttons and text in that image is still old, dull looking white-on-grey-on-black.

Looks bland and like the game is already aging around the edges.

Good to know it's modded OnePercent but that doesn't change the point of what a good UI can add, an outdated one detract, as well as that brightness isn't necessarily the issue.

I think all that was used was a "HUD color editor" changing from the default orange to blue.

https://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

But anyway you get the idea.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/27/2021 11:42:05 AM >

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 10
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 11:45:14 AM   
Sild

The UI is definitely different from DW1. Not saying it's necessarily better. Personally i grew to like the minimalist, translucent design as it didn't take me out of what was going on on the map. Instead of making the UI more vibrant, i'd rather have the game objects (planets, ships etc) slicker and more defined.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 11
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 11:50:08 AM   
Miletkir

I didn't retouch each row inside the box, but I imagine the color palette could be changed for them too, and they could be buttonized, or whatever. The frame is also obtrusive, which is not what the dev intended, but you can imagine a smaller one with some space added between the opened window and the left pane. I find the "rectangle-based" UI of Stellaris dull too, and it could be the opportunity to be a bit more creative with the frames and decorations, without overdoing it.

Realistically, this UI won't be overhauled for release, so I'd gladly just take light and vibrance adjustments. If only for my eyes.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 12
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 12:45:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

I think I get where you're coming from now Whiskiz. I didn't understand initially that you were talking mainly about the colors rather than the functionality.

We decided on this combination of a neutral gray and a somewhat pastel orange to make the UI more interesting than just a gray or blue (which is common to many sci-fi games) and for my eyes it works well. I don't personally want the UI too bright or vibrant so that it is noticeable when I don't want to pay attention to it. What's "dull" for you is personally "unobtrusive" for me. With that said, making adjustments to color, brightness, vibrancy, etc. is a pretty easy thing to do, but we'll need to see what the consensus is before we tweak as things like this are subjective and we're liable to turn off as many people as we please if we jump the gun.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 13
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/27/2021 12:51:01 PM   
elmo3

FWIW I love the new color scheme.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Post #: 14
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/29/2021 11:15:23 PM   
Sild

Can't believe i haven't said this yet but thank you guys and gals for not simplifing the game as some (most) sequels tend to do in search of a bigger audience. As a strategy gamer, having something like the DW series is nothing less than a blessing. Again, thanks for working on DW2 the way you are!

PS: I'm sure the audience is going to expand regardless. Just a hunch!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 15
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/30/2021 12:27:10 PM   
DrWolfsherz

Readability goes above anything else for me. If the font is too tiny, too low contrast and therefore not easy to read it will turn people off...
Good contrast, crisp clear font at a pixel size where you don't need to squint is of utmost importance.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 16
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/30/2021 6:45:26 PM   
ricanuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think I get where you're coming from now Whiskiz. I didn't understand initially that you were talking mainly about the colors rather than the functionality.

We decided on this combination of a neutral gray and a somewhat pastel orange to make the UI more interesting than just a gray or blue (which is common to many sci-fi games) and for my eyes it works well. I don't personally want the UI too bright or vibrant so that it is noticeable when I don't want to pay attention to it. What's "dull" for you is personally "unobtrusive" for me. With that said, making adjustments to color, brightness, vibrancy, etc. is a pretty easy thing to do, but we'll need to see what the consensus is before we tweak as things like this are subjective and we're liable to turn off as many people as we please if we jump the gun.

Regards,

- Erik

Have you considered putting some elements in the hands of the users? Every single UI preference that you can put in a settings menu for the user to choose their own preference, is one less problem for you and one more happy customer.

Post #: 17
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 1/31/2021 12:39:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ricanuck
Have you considered putting some elements in the hands of the users? Every single UI preference that you can put in a settings menu for the user to choose their own preference, is one less problem for you and one more happy customer.

Yes, one of the things we've agreed to do as a result of the feedback so far is to allow users some customization of the color/tint choices for the UI.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ricanuck)
Post #: 18
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 2/4/2021 8:39:06 AM   
swappan

That extra customization is great Erik! I presonally like the more vibrant look of the photoshopped sceen from Miletkir. Makes it easier readable.

Post #: 19
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 2/4/2021 1:48:43 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

Yes, one of the things we've agreed to do as a result of the feedback so far is to allow users some customization of the color/tint choices for the UI.

I think this is an excellent choice because many of these things are highly subjective. Some changes can probably be modded as well so combined I think that is really good.

Post #: 20
RE: TL:DR Of a lost thread about DW2 stream - 2/4/2021 7:13:01 PM   
Cubano

quote:

quote:

This is good news, especially for color blind people.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> DW2 Stream Feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI