Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Observer corps device does not need food? And radars too

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Observer corps device does not need food? And radars too Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Observer corps device does not need food? And radars too - 2/7/2021 11:00:50 PM   
GetAssista

I have a lot of Allied AI stragglers sitting here and there for half a year slowly dying from hunger with zero supply.
So I looked at those which are base forces, pushed from their bases in the beginning of GC and left to rot. And there
is one common thing among all of them, see the image

Apparently it looks like observer corps cannot be disabled by zero supply.
Or anything else except combat cause I went through heaps of other base forces here and there and never seen a disabled
observer corps (this one is circumstantial evidence though cause AI rapidly repairs its devices).

It follows that observer corps cannot die from hunger, cause only disabled devices die off. Which does not look like WAD.
It is interesting that observer corps device also has a very low load cost (2 for the smallest) which is shared only by
a few AAMGs. Maybe there is some kind of rounding error involved or such.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 2/8/2021 2:14:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Observer corps device does not need food? - 2/7/2021 11:19:45 PM   
Nomad

The explanation is that the Observer, Observer Corps, and Observer Squad are all Surface Radar type. This is because they function in the game as a Radar.
Apparently Radar devices do not need food.

The same is true of the Sound Detector devices.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2
RE: Observer corps device does not need food? - 2/8/2021 8:45:14 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Yep, you are right, thanks!
I put a base force with hundreds of different radars and other observing devices in a test scenario with no supply and flipped some turns. Nothing goes disabled.

On second thought the rationale for this design decision seems rather reasonable - given the random mechanics of getting disabled devices in harsh conditions it would be very annoying to have your most important device in a base force disabled and no way to speed up its repairs

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: Observer corps device does not need food? - 2/8/2021 12:36:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Yep, you are right, thanks!
I put a base force with hundreds of different radars and other observing devices in a test scenario with no supply and flipped some turns. Nothing goes disabled.

On second thought the rationale for this design decision seems rather reasonable - given the random mechanics of getting disabled devices in harsh conditions it would be very annoying to have your most important device in a base force disabled and no way to speed up its repairs

Observer Corps is probably a set of 25X binoculars on a tripod stand - not much to go mechanically wrong there!.

I tried to airlift the BF south of Prince Rupert back to PR so it could be supplied and upgrade. Patrol aircraft moved all except the Observer Corps devices. I left them there over a year hoping they would die off so the BF unit could upgrade to radar. No dice, so I started them marching to PR through the mountains. They are doing it - 2 miles a day. It's gonna take a while!
PS - unit is Restricted and I don't want it badly enough to pay PP (if it is not Permanently Restricted).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Observer corps device does not need food? - 2/8/2021 2:12:15 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Observer Corps is probably a set of 25X binoculars on a tripod stand - not much to go mechanically wrong there!.

This is hardly a valid argument here. There are many mechanical devices in the TOEs, which do not need to move if there is not combat or movement involved. But they all are nothing without a complement of people, well-fed people that is. Also alive devices contribute to the AV and hex control.

Besides, self-sustaining observes are already in the game - as coastal watchers :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Observer corps device does not need food? And radars too Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI