Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/12/2021 6:26:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"Discover the entire Bayeux Tapestry following online the 70 meter-long embroidered canvas which tells the story of the conquest of England in 1066".

https://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/en/the-bayeux-tapestry/discover-the-bayeux-tapestry/explore-online/

Amazing high resolution. A sample:

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke
Post #: 1
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/12/2021 6:35:51 PM   
MrsWargamer

Truly amazing.

But it always amazes me how artists of the time actually thought people looked the way they were depicted. The history of art forms always makes me wonder, what were they actually seeing? How can they do a 3d sculpture so incredibly realistic, and not portray accurately an image on a flat surface.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/12/2021 7:07:29 PM   
ncc1701e

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Post #: 3
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/12/2021 7:16:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
But it always amazes me how artists of the time actually thought people looked the way they were depicted. The history of art forms always makes me wonder, what were they actually seeing? How can they do a 3d sculpture so incredibly realistic, and not portray accurately an image on a flat surface.

My guess is they could not get skilled artists. An invaluable historical document, as grognerd says, but yes, rather *primitive*

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/12/2021 8:40:28 PM   
z1812

Thank you so much for posting this. I love the style. Remember this was embroidered not woven.

Before you criticize the artwork, keep in mind that you are not seeing the original. The style is Romanesque which was prevalent at the time. Here is a link to what it looked like originally.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QciMfajcRn1QUxBr5

Post #: 5
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/13/2021 1:25:25 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Truly amazing.

Until the works of Paolo Uccello, in the XV Century, the West didn't really understand the concept of "perspective", much less how to give a 3D "vista" on a 2D surface (whereas when sculpting or building you already started with tridimensional blocks which guided you in obtaining a tridimensional portrayal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Uccello

Paolo Uccello was a mathematician obsessed by the concepts of "perspective" and "vanishing points". Today they are considered a given but, if you think about it, they are neither intuitive nor easy to grasp. His works, thus, become groundbreaking, even if the portrayals of people, things and landscapes still show a mix of 2D and 3D (often 2/2.5D figures in a 3D landscape). It took the works of his successors, like Piero della Francesca and Leonardo, to fully flesh the portrayal of the World in 3D.

All of the above in the West. I don't know if Middle-Eastern and Oriental artists reached the same results by themselves or if imported them from Europe.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 6
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/13/2021 1:44:59 PM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

Truly amazing.

Until the works of Paolo Uccello, in the XV Century, the West didn't really understand the concept of "perspective", much less how to give a 3D "vista" on a 2D surface (whereas when sculpting or building you already started with tridimensional blocks which guided you in obtaining a tridimensional portrayal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Uccello

Paolo Uccello was a mathematician obsessed by the concepts of "perspective" and "vanishing points". Today they are considered a given but, if you think about it, they are neither intuitive nor easy to grasp. His works, thus, become groundbreaking, even if the portrayals of people, things and landscapes still show a mix of 2D and 3D (often 2/2.5D figures in a 3D landscape). It took the works of his successors, like Piero della Francesca and Leonardo, to fully flesh the portrayal of the World in 3D.

All of the above in the West. I don't know if Middle-Eastern and Oriental artists reached the same results by themselves or if imported them from Europe.

No love for Filippo Brunelleschi?................thank goodness for the Italians. Without them we would all be walking through a 2d world.....

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 7
RE: Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online - 2/13/2021 2:46:37 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812
No love for Filippo Brunelleschi?................thank goodness for the Italians. Without them we would all be walking through a 2d world.....

A lot . He dabbled in the theory of perspective in the second half of the XV Century but his work was mostly theoretical - even if it was of inspiration for other painters. However he was mostly a sculptor and an architect. He was strangely obsessed by "domes" and published many theoretical projects of them (along with his works, like, most famously, the dome of the Florence Cathedral.

Fun fact for our American friends: the United States Capitol dome in Washington D.C. was inspired by Brunelleschi's concept of "a dome within a dome". The same concept is the basis for the dome of Les Invalides in Paris.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Explore the Bayeux Tapestry online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI