Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/5/2018 1:46:43 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Anyone have tricks or tips for making the AI move/attack more aggressively? Even using the 'Attack Hex' setting, the AI seems reluctant to assault objectives.

Post #: 1
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/5/2018 2:00:24 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Obviously, terrain and unit skill level have an impact. Just seeing what 'settings' might have worked for others in beefing up the aggressiveness, if at all.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 2
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/5/2018 7:33:36 PM   
technikzauberer

Finding the same behavior with 'Attack Hex', particularly with AFV's. Seems they will advance until in LOS of the objective then bang away at distance, then perhaps not advance further when it would be favorable to do so.
Experimenting with specifying the 'attack hex' for AI units to not be the objective/VP hex but one perhaps not so easily in LOS; to see if that has an effect on 'aggressiveness'.

< Message edited by technikzauberer -- 9/5/2018 7:34:10 PM >

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 3
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/5/2018 11:26:23 PM   
UP844

I have made a small test scenario, experimenting with side attitude (NOT DEFINED / HOLD / ADVANCE) and unit orders (variable according to side attitude).

As far as I have been able to ascertain - and I hope I'm wrong here - AI units basically adopt one of two behaviours, depending on the attitude/order combination.

Case 1
Attitude: NOT DEFINED
Unit order: none allowed
Unit stays still if all VP hex(es) are friendly-controlled or if it occupies a VP hex (this implies that when all VP hexes become friendly-controlled, AI units will cease moving. This will leave them especially vulnerable to counterattacks. It might be possible to mitigate this by carefully giving ATTACK/DEFEND X,Y orders to some AI units)
If enemy/uncontrolled VP hex(es) are present, the unit:
(a) moves towards the closest one
(b) when the VP hex is reached (by this unit or by another), the unit stops.
(c) if other enemy/uncontrolled VP hex(es) are present, restart from (a).

Case 2
Attitude: ADVANCE
Unit order: NOT DEFINED
see Case 1 above

Case 3
Attitude: ADVANCE
Unit order: ATTACK HEX X,Y
If the unit is not in hex X,Y, it will move until it reaches the specified hex, then will stop. It will not react to VP hex control (i.e. even though all VP hexes become enemy-controlled, it will move towards, or remain, in its specified hex)

Case 4
Attitude: DEFEND
Unit orders: NOT DEFINED
See Case 1

Case 5
Unit orders: ATTACK
See Case 1

Case 6
Unit orders: DEFEND HEX X,Y
See Case 3

A moving infantry unit will stop when there is an enemy unit within its normal range and will start firing at it in its next Fire Segment; the unit will not resume movement until this condition remains true (i.e. until the enemy unit is eliminated or moves/rout away farther than the AI unit normal range). Of course - except in case of close terrain - the number of AI units arriving within their normal range from the enemy will be extremely small .

I have not investigated the behavious of an AI unit armed with a SW, or of AFVs or of units with "ATTACK/DEFEND X,Y" orders that rout away (I suppose they will attempt to return to X,Y).

< Message edited by UP844 -- 9/5/2018 11:32:03 PM >

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to technikzauberer)
Post #: 4
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/6/2018 9:19:06 PM   
UP844

The stopping after the VP hexes are taken only seems to affect AFVs.

Today I played "T003 - Kasserine 1943" with the Americans (see the AAR section). The German infantry continued moving towards the VP hexes even though they were all German-controlled. German AFVs, conversely, stopped moving after the VP hexes all became German-controlled.

I think a "MOVE THROUGH X,Y" order would be a valuable addition to the AI arsenal (besides that feature): an AI-controlled unit with such order should travel to the specified hex and then revert to the basic behaviour (i.e. attacking non-friendly-controlled hexes).

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 5
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 9/7/2018 2:10:04 AM   
technikzauberer

quote:

ORIGINAL: UP844

The stopping after the VP hexes are taken only seems to affect AFVs.

Today I played "T003 - Kasserine 1943" with the Americans (see the AAR section). The German infantry continued moving towards the VP hexes even though they were all German-controlled. German AFVs, conversely, stopped moving after the VP hexes all became German-controlled.

I think a "MOVE THROUGH X,Y" order would be a valuable addition to the AI arsenal (besides that feature): an AI-controlled unit with such order should travel to the specified hex and then revert to the basic behaviour (i.e. attacking non-friendly-controlled hexes).

+1 on 'MOVE THROUGH X,Y".
I was finding the same behavior when testing/fiddling with AFV's AI and ATTACK X,Y/VP [Case 3].

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 6
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 2/12/2021 1:56:26 AM   
jonj01

just set up a test scenario 1 russian inf, 1 russian afv
both set ADVANCE=attitute
unit order attack hex 4,1

the inf moved towards the hex 4,1...the afv never moved...i put a dozen afvs on the board all with the same order...no movement
even when hex 4,1 was the only victory hex on the board

am going to try exit hexes as a motivator and see if i can get the unit to move even when within LOS and range of enemy unit.

anyone else with their experiment results please post...an aggressive ai would be nice if possible

thanks

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 7
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 2/12/2021 2:02:50 AM   
jonj01

one thing that worked on getting the afvs close to enemy when i messed around with Heros of Stalingrad(lock in load) was to set the range of the AFVS to 2-4 hexes...and sure enough those russian tanks would roll right up on the enemy.

cannot do that with this game cause we dont have an open code 'access" to unit parameter spreadsheet. its just a CSV file that has the unit and all its parameters (movement,firepower, afv, etc.)

is there any chance of getting access to the unit parameter spreadsheet for this game?

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 8
RE: Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' - 2/12/2021 7:18:47 PM   
Paullus

The AI behaviour is meant to be a bit random. It is also checking its chances and making decisions according to those, but not always the same decisions. Unfortunately, there are no parameter spreadsheet available in this game, it is just too complex.

To make the AI more aggressive there are the possibility to use the AI special commands to single units/AFVs. In HOLD there are "Defend hex" and "ATTACK" and for Advance attitude there are "ATTACK Hex". When special hex is chosen you also chose the hex to Defend/Attack.

When making a hex a Victory Location make it not owned by any side or owned by Human player to get the AI to attack the hex. The AI will also take the terrain type into consideration when attacking

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to jonj01)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> Any ideas for making the AI more 'Aggressive' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI