Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI difficulty and 'bonus units'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> AI difficulty and 'bonus units' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/16/2021 3:46:19 PM   
Benedict151

Hello there
I have been trying to tweak various settings (in both War in Europe and World at War) to give me the challenge I want - which at the moment thanks to other real life issues is something that 'gives me a game' without requiring 100% dedication on my part - and one where I can make the odd mistake without finding myself on an inevitable 'doom spiral'.
I find Intermediate in WW1 to be 'just about right' for me but less so in this and WaW.
However I am struggling to work out the relative plusses and minusses of various options.
E.g. What has more effect - removing some of the AI bonus units from the scripts or changing spotting / MPP values?

Are some of the AI 'bonus unit' scripts more valuable than others, and if so what?

I'd rather not mess with Decision Events.

I appreciate this is something of a vague question but any pointers or suggestions welcome

thank you
Ben
Post #: 1
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/16/2021 4:59:27 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Ben

That is a difficult question but the Options can be amended back and forth at any time during a game against the AI, so for example, if you're playing as Allied you could always reduce their bonuses after they've carried out the initial Blitzkrieg, so that you have a fighting chance of stalling their advances into Egypt, the USSR etc.

Really I can suggest is to experiment here and see what suits!

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Benedict151)
Post #: 2
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/16/2021 8:54:59 PM   
Hubert Cater

You can also disable the bonus unit AI scripts at any time, assuming they haven't fired yet.

For example, if you go to OPTIONS->ADVANCED->SCRIPTS and then to the list of UNIT events, the AI bonus unit events are listed at the end and should have their associated difficulty levels labelled as well, e.g. Expert, Veteran etc.

They can be ticked on or off here without having to create a custom campaign if this is preferable, but granted you need to change these every time you start a new game etc.

Hubert

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/18/2021 4:30:12 PM   
Benedict151

Hello Hubert
Thanks for the quick replies. I've worked my way around the bonus unit scripts and most are very clear with regard to what and when although some are a little vaguer (e.g. German armoured reserves to Warsaw is one of these IIRC).

I am assuming that if I set the difficulty to 'Medium' (or Intermediate, sorry doing this from memory without game in front of me) and then turn off all the AI bonus units marked intermediate the game effectively becomes 'Beginner' (or novice)?

Are there any thoughts on what / when bonus units are 'the best' (other than the obvious of a bonus corps being better than a bonus garrison!)

Basically I am trying to work out a way of setting the difficulty just a little bit below Intermediate and maybe turning off some bonus units is not the best way? If playing Allied might it be better to leave everything 'as is' but reduce the amount of plunder the AI gets from conquests?
However this would not really work if playing Axis as the Allies tend not to plunder anything until late on by which time the course of the game is pretty set so not sure what the best course is, maybeslightly reduce MMP for the Allies? (but that feels a bit 'cheaty' and artificial ... my weird sensibilities would be slightly offended!).

As you say I will ponder/experiment (and think on why I find WW1 easier than the other titles!)

Kind regards
Ben

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 4
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/19/2021 8:44:58 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Ben,

Yes this would be one way to do it where you can set the difficulty level to Intermediate, but then disable all the Intermediate labelled UNIT bonus events to give you the Beginner/Novice setting at least as far as the bonus units are concerned.

Hopefully this works out for you and gives you a better game overall

Hubert

Post #: 5
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/22/2021 2:35:43 PM   
Benedict151

Thanks Hubert
Its fun playing it for ... well ... fun!

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 6
RE: AI difficulty and 'bonus units' - 2/22/2021 3:58:33 PM   
Hubert Cater

My pleasure and of course!

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> AI difficulty and 'bonus units' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI