Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

And I tought I knew every tactics... :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> And I tought I knew every tactics... :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And I tought I knew every tactics... :) - 8/14/2003 5:56:58 AM   
RichardTheFirst

As you know I'm a vet in this game. I played Campaigns, Scenarios, Mega Campaigns, PBEM and so on. So I thought I knew every little trick and small tactic in this game.

But this one came as a cool surprise.

There is nothing more annoying than having one of your favourite tanks blasted by a mine in the beginning of a battle in a Mega Campaign.

After that, the more annoying thing is having one of such squads paralyzed by a mine in those conditions. I mean, you will not commit an engineer unit to clear all the mines because the probability of the crew be able to repair the tank is small.

Well I had one of my PzIIIe immobilized (an almost elite unit) with a static Matilda II firing at him from the distance.

You know how it is long range fighting with Matildas: a no win situation! So I decided do bail out, lay some smoke with the crew, hide the crew, and eventually come back to the tank 1 or 2 turns before the end of battle.

Bailed out and laid some smoke. I stayed at the same place because I couldn't move anymore.

At the end of the turn I was surprised to see that the crew was able to clear 4 mines. Hmmmmm.

I had some more smoke grenades so I decided to bail out again throw another one and stay. End of turn - 3 more mines :)

Same operation and the crew cleared the hex :):)

Next turn: SUCCESS. They repaired the tank! :D:D:D

I don't know if the capacity of crews clearing mines and repair vehicles increases with experience. But from now on I will do the same with every crew in a immobilization by mines situation!

:D ;) :cool:

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans
Post #: 1
Wow! - 8/14/2003 1:29:25 PM   
Belisarius

That's quite some crafty crew you've got there. :eek: I usually don't bail my crews as long as a weapon is serviceable but I will definetly try this out next time! Thanx!

Got StuG?

(in reply to RichardTheFirst)
Post #: 2
- 8/14/2003 11:31:19 PM   
RichardTheFirst

As I said, I don't know if this works all the time, if this is due to the high experience of this particular crew (they had 95 or 96 experience) or if they had some training in the Wermacht Tank Repair and Mine Clearing School :rolleyes: .

Anyway I think it absolutely worth trying.

You are welcomed, Belisarius.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 3
Enjoy that tactic while you can... - 8/15/2003 8:06:29 AM   
Orzel Bialy

because I believe that crews will not have smoke in the next patch! ;)

Post #: 4
- 8/15/2003 10:36:47 AM   
RichardTheFirst

**** man, you're spoiling the fun :p.

P.S. - Why the hell will crews not be allowed to have smoke?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 5
Crews and Smoke... - 8/15/2003 11:44:38 AM   
Orzel Bialy

in reality, not very many crews were afforded the luxury of smoke grenades or cannisters. Most had small arms or maybe a SMG or a box of grenades stowed away in some cases...but as far as I know smoke was not that common.

Post #: 6
- 8/15/2003 7:55:24 PM   
RichardTheFirst

Right, I do agree with you. Also I don't think in the real war crews would bail out of their tanks just to trow some smoke in order to hide their tank. But anyway I think it shouldn't be completely denied to crews the possibility to retreat/escape covered by smoke, like other foot soldiers.

Maybe reduce their smoke grenades to just one?

Anyway, that wasn't the main point in my intervention. The main point is crews hability for clearing mines. Here things seem more realistic. I mean: sounds realistic that if a tank is immobilized by a mine that the crew try to clear the terrain around their tank of any mines before they begin repairing it.

In game play I do intent to bail out from now on to see if this increases or not with experience.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 7
- 8/16/2003 12:45:43 AM   
Frank W.

mhh.. not shure if crews have mine clearing equipment !

Post #: 8
- 8/16/2003 2:27:53 AM   
Capt Chris

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]mhh.. not shure if crews have mine clearing equipment ! [/B][/QUOTE]

All it really takes is a bayonett and some time right? :)

Capt Chris

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post #: 9
- 8/16/2003 2:42:12 AM   
VikingNo2

Or a extra crewman, you know just like in Startrek the ones in the red shirts:rolleyes:

Post #: 10
Man... - 8/16/2003 5:19:54 AM   
Orzel Bialy

being one of those guys in red usually meant a 50-50 shot at being dead in the first 15 minutes of the show! :p lol

Post #: 11
- 8/16/2003 5:40:36 AM   
RichardTheFirst

If regular infantry can clear some mines, why not a crew? Also AT mines should be easier to spot than anti-personnal ones. Am I wrong?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 12
- 8/16/2003 5:51:56 AM   
VikingNo2

Depends on the mine, but its just the opposite ( IMO ) AT mines can be burried deeper and normally take much more to set them off, however I'm not as well versed in WWII era mines as some around the forum

Post #: 13
- 8/16/2003 8:21:26 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Don't know nothing about mines too, but one is lead to think that AP mines need to be more carefully hidden because the vision of a foot soldier is a lot better than the vision of a travelling vehicle.

Even if AT mines could be buried deeper (makes sense) I don't think the care with camuflage would be so good.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 14
- 8/17/2003 10:53:48 AM   
MelonHead

I think i'd agree with viking-AT mines can be hidden deeper because they take more weight to set off and so can be buried a little deeper without fear, and the people laying them can work on camoflauge more after the mines are buried without fear of setting them off, though I am just basing this off assumptions not any facts.

Nothing is as important as it seems, and everything matters.

Post #: 15
- 8/17/2003 1:09:39 PM   
VikingNo2

Hey I like this MelonHead guy

Post #: 16
- 8/17/2003 1:43:59 PM   
MelonHead

lol. Thanks, viking.

Post #: 17
- 8/17/2003 3:15:07 PM   
RichardTheFirst

I don't :D .

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 18
FYI - 8/17/2003 9:27:29 PM   
Vathailos

LOL! @ Viking's "Red Shirt" comment.

Don't even need a bayonet, a sharp stick will do. That's a field-improved mine probe, and it won't detonate magnetic mines. But it also won't "clink" when you hit a metal-sided mine either.

So, why are AFV crews different from Infantry? Training.

Tank crews spend an inordinate amount of time on gunnery ranges, and performing vehicle maintenance. Seasoned crews are now probably experts at operator-level repair and maintenance (breaking track, diagnosing mechanical problems, changing lower caliber barrels out). While the probably won't be able to fix most battle damage, regular breakdowns may well be overcome. They train in and on the tank. They train to fire and maneuver, and to become one as a crew. Target is up, identified, fired upon, and destroyed.

They do not train to shoot rifles, hump rucksacks, and clear mines. That is the life of a grunt. Or even an elite grunt. The infantryman is not able to mount an abandoned vehicle and bring it to life. They wouldn't (in most cases) know how to operate any of the systems. Why? because they're not trained to crew. They are instead trained to be experts with their man-portable weapons systems, utilize terrain, move quietly, execute ambushes, and other battle drills.

I could go on and on and on, but long story short, AFV crews are NOT infantry, they're not trained as infantry, and should not have all the default abilities of infantry. Engineers are infantry, but specialized in construction/demolition, mine laying/removal, and building/reducing obstacles. They can (depending on the type of the unit) dig others in faster, bridge rivers, blow bridges, make tank ditches, etc. But they were equipped with mine detection equipment, so it makes sense for them to be able to detect them and remove them. Infantry are trained to remove them. AFV crews are not.

Now, the assumption that AT mines were laid with less care or more obviously than anti-personnel mines is also flawed. Contemporary doctrine is to surface-lay mines, but back in WWII, you could find them deployed in various methods. They were buried (well) and camouflaged, they were surface-laid (typically alongside dummy mines, when time was tight), or they were hidden inside buildings or other areas as booby traps. But where you'd find AT mines set [I]visibly[/I], they would commonly be laid with well-hidden AP mines. Mine fields were also typically observed, and covered by either direct or indirect fire (unless they were very old or the side that laid them had left the region for whatever reason).

AFV crews may be able to "spot" some AT mines, but they would not have the training to disarm them in most cases, or disarm the AP mines laid in and among the AT mines.

Consider that it took 3-4 strong men a good bit of time to repair the tracks on the vehicle, and it takes a squad of infantry a good bit of time to clear a mine field. And then couple that with the stresses of a battlefield (direct/indirect fires, shell-shock, and injuries). It becomes increasingly less realistic and/or likely that a crew of a shot up vehicle can both repair the vehicle and clear a minefield.

SPW@W does an incredible job of realistic representation in almost all instances. So I hope they continue the trend and eliminate this function for crews.

Post #: 19
- 8/18/2003 6:56:25 AM   
MelonHead

True, Vathailos. On the other hand, while that makes sense, it also might necessitate the removal of mine clearing capabilities from all sorts of other infantry. For instance, I doubt volksgrenadiers would be able to clear mines-some of the disabled vets drafted might have the skills, but on the whole I don't think they would have the training or experience to remove mines. I'm 17 and I know if you gave me a stick and a field and told me to go clear mines I would be far more likely to kill myself than find a mine, though I'm also a bit more of a city boy and so they'd probably be much better than I. As such we would need to be able to decrease the mine-clearing capabilities of such units unless the experience modifiers give enough of a bonus/penalty to accurately describe the difference between experienced and inexperienced units, which I just don't know enough about to make a claim.

Post #: 20
- 8/18/2003 7:01:44 AM   
VikingNo2

Make sure you put on a Red shirt first LOL

Post #: 21
- 8/18/2003 11:05:48 AM   
MelonHead

Captain, there's something up ahead! I'll go check it out!

Post #: 22
- 8/19/2003 4:32:34 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Well, I don't know if the game is so far from reality as that. Let's see:

- Engineer units (infantry and tanks) already have more mine clearing hability than all the other units (I just don't know to what extent). One should expect at least the double or triple.

- It seems that mine clearing hability to all other infantry units (including crews) improves with experience (again I don't know to what extent). This seems to be in accordance with reality as veteran units were able to do a lot more than green basic trained units in this area. Green troops shouldn't be able to clear any mine at all (again this I don't know).

- No unit can clear mines if they have been fired last turn. This I know from observing the game. I'm not sure but I think they cannot clear mines also if they are being observed by the enemy.

So: tell me - any of you got statistics about this? To prove your point that the game should be changed?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 23
LOL! - 8/19/2003 9:41:49 PM   
Vathailos

13 years of being/training/commanding Infantry soldiers should be good enough for "statistics" with regard to knowledge about mine clearing. I’ve spent months with Engineer units as well, and they’re the experts on mine clearing.

You start off with an incorrect assumption that crews are infantry. They are not. If they're crews from a tank, they're tank crews, and can re-mount their vehicle if abandoned. If they're AT gun crews, same goes for them. But dismounted crews are not infantry, you are confusing yourself with this initial assumption, and may be basing the rest of your hypothesis on this non-fact.

As far as “statistics” go, I think you’re looking for historical training records. I can send you the FM numbers and curriculum inclusions to show you that new Infantry troops (GREEN) are indeed trained on recognition and removal, but I doubt you'd understand half of what you're looking at without knowing what the task numbers and abbreviations stand for.

But perhaps you missed the point above. To get a well-trained tank crew, you train them hard in the field, you train them on gunnery tables in all kinds of conditions, you make sure they've got their soldiering basics down (through CTT and sustainment training), and you put them through conditions again and again that are as close to a combat environment as you can simulate (ex. NTC).

You don't get a regular block of mine removal training and a "refresher" annually at FT Knox IIRC. So it's not realistic to assume that vehicle crews (of all vehicles) are trained in mine removal. Again, contemporary methodology.

I think you're trying to assume that just because they're on foot, they should be able to clear mines, perhaps not as well as infantry or engineers, but they should be able to. That is also incorrect.

Consider this example: A 63-series MOS (one of the mechanic series) gets better with training and experience. As they progress in their careers, they get better at diagnosing and repairing equipment in their field. If they are extremely well-trained with combat experience, their diagnoses are faster, they may gain experience on repairing vehicles outside their normal specialty, and they may learn some good tactics for unconventional repairs. What they do NOT gain is an intimate knowledge of mine clearing procedures. They are not specifically trained on the procedure, and that training is not refreshed regularly.

An AFV crew may load quicker (higher ROF), rally better, spot better, even repair broken tracks with ease if they're "elite", but to assume that they've somehow been taught proper mine clearing techinques is a bit of a stretch. They'd be more likely to blow one up than detect and remove it.

You might not understand what it takes in terms of rounds and hours to train a veteran crew. There's precious little time to fit in all the practice and maintenance as it is, without training the crews as mine-clearing engineers, airborne alternates, or back-up field surgeons. Mine clearing is not as simple as poking a bayonet in the dirt. There’s a combination of clearing and marking done by infantry just to make a path wide enough for foot soldiers to pass through.

Now, you also seem to be a bit confused about the way mine clearing is done by tanks and foot soldiers. Mine clearing tanks use rollers, flails, or dozer-like blades to clear mines. They have special equipment. Some Engineer vehicles nowadays even have explosive line charges that can clear mine fields quickly. But back to the point... Yes, a mine-clearing tank should be able to remove mines faster than a prone or kneeling infantry squad.

But the process is entirely different for foot troops. Engineers on foot have an advantage in clearing over regular Infantry because of the equipment they had. They had man-portable metal detectors that they swept in front of themselves with to aid in the detection of mines. They also had much more experience with mines (as they’re trained to lay and remove/disarm them). So, given additional equipment and additional training, yes, it makes sense that Engineer foot soldiers should be able to detect and clear mines better than other Infantry. But the fact that infantry troops are trained (and that it is sustained regularly) enables them to clear mines. They should clear better with more experience, but even GREEN infantry troops are trained in the skill. Vehicle crews are not, cooks are not, tank crews are not, AT gun crews are not, records clerks are not.

I think that I’ve made my point clearly, that the difference is in the equipment and training. Make sense? ;) Infantry have the training, therefore they have the ability. Engineers have both the training and equipment, therefore they do it better. The rest of the lot DO NOT have either, therefore, they shouldn’t be able to do it.

If you want to use “elite” status to mean any soldiers with that status become masters of all military skills, even those outside their MOS, then elite infantry should be able to mount and operate abandoned AFVs, right? And I don’t think anyone wants that.

Put that in your "statistics" pipe and smoke it, lil' fella :p. Actually, smoking's bad for you. Disregard :D

Post #: 24
- 8/19/2003 11:38:23 PM   
RichardTheFirst

You could use all the fancy words you want, big fella. You can because you are probably English-speaker-born and I'm not.

Just because I made a mistake saying "infantry" and not "foot soldier" you made an entire theory around it and you wrote almost a book. Well, good for you. Hope your ego is shinning now.

My point stands: even for crews. Why? Because being a vet or elite troop does not come from the amount of training they had. Comes from experience. In combat situations.

Crews that were forced to deal with mines due to the cruel reality of combat gain expertise. Life expertise. Practise. They saw already comrades killed due to mines. They already had their tank several times stuck in minefields. They are VETS.

This is a game. It means it is a simulation from reality therefore you cannot expect it to be perfect. SPWaW is an amazing game in that because it goes very close. In mine clearing it goes very close too.

You can use all the intellectuality you want but you failed to prove your point. And being aggressive does not make you more intelligent, on the contrary. Think about it, big fella.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 25
- 8/20/2003 12:21:43 AM   
VikingNo2

All the points are valid, crews aren't specificlly taught to clear mine fields, however its a game and there are allot of unknowns, we don't know if it was a hasty mine field one that was prepared and month ago ect.

Crews clearing mines is a stretch but not impossible ( please don't start with the anything is possible argument ) So since there are several varible and unknows, we just have to live with the unlikly every once in a while. I'm sure the designers were limited by the mechanics of the game engine as well.

On a further note crews will be toned down in ver 8.0 or what ever the SPWAW Gods call thre new mod, they already are in the H2H, Leo has done a very good job IMHO. As Vat said they are not infantry and should not fight as such ( Marines are traind as basic infantry no matter what MOS they have, just a little note to poke fun at the Army guy's :D )

P.S. RichardtheFirst never play anyone from Portugal how about a game:cool:

Post #: 26
- 8/20/2003 12:57:22 AM   
RichardTheFirst

[B]VikingNo2:[/B]

I generally agreed with your comment.

Regarding the game: I'm in the middle of Desert Fox now and would like to finnish it first. But after that I would be delighted. Send me your e-mail please.

[B]Regarding "Statistics"[/B]

Just to clarify that I was asking for statistics regarding SPWaW not life situations. Example:
- Mine clearing ratio for engineers (with % increase for experience)
- Same for crews and infantry units
- Any other rellevant statistics
I really don't have the time or I could get it myself with tests.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 27
- 8/20/2003 1:36:50 AM   
VikingNo2

My email

[email]gregoryjj@hawaii.rr.com[/email]

can't help you with the request, I normally don't play with too many mine, Capt Pixel maybe able to help

Post #: 28
Geesh - 8/20/2003 1:45:11 AM   
Vathailos

Mouthy punks are the last thing I tend to tolerate well, in any language. The tone of my post was light-hearted ribbing. Notice all the smiley faces? I tried as politely as possible to tell you that what you’re suggesting is unrealistic. And now, you want to puff up and throw your chest out? :rolleyes:

You didn't mis-speak, stop using that "second language" crutch. There are plenty of folks who don't have English as their primary language and communicate accurately.

Your THEORY is WRONG. How's that for simple?

Crews are not infantry, and they're not "foot soldiers" either. They're trained to operate a specific vehicle, gun, mortar, or other system. Because they leave their **** equipment behind (for whatever reason) does NOT transform them into trained mine clearers, like Infantry soldiers or Engineers.

If you read my above post and didn’t get that point, you need to re-read it. Clear as day. I never once said SPW@W wasn't one of THE best games out there. I'd pick up the pom-poms and cheer right beside you for what the folks behind this have done. So stop throwing smoke and stick to the facts at hand.

You say:
quote:

Because being a vet or elite troop does not come from the amount of training they had. Comes from experience. In combat situations.
Well, yes, crews gain battle experience. That's the typical definition of a "veteran". However, there are a few guys at the VFW here whose only combat experience was throwing ropes on a pier. Not once did they face hostile fire. They're officially classified as veterans, because they were in-theater. They probably became very good at tying up ships, but I'm willing to bet they still lack a bit when it comes to clearing mine fields.

Think about it. Are you trying to say that EVERY Elite crew has had the experience of being stuck in a minefield Richard? Using your reasoning, they gained that ability from doing it or seeing it done previously. Because EVERY crew in SPW@W has the ability to remove mines once knocked off their gun, or out of their AFV. And I think that that's a load of crap.

Your whole argument that “they’re [I]Elite[/I] therefore they should be able to do anything” is full of holes. How damned unbalanced would the game be if any [I]Elite[/I] troops could do anything they wanted? Why not let them re-crew abandoned vehicles or weapons systems they’re not trained on? It’s the same non-logic you’re suggesting. How about letting them crew up abandoned enemy vehicles? Using your argument, they can learn anything because of their all-powerful battle experience. Bah! I think that's ridiculous.

When the crews gain experience, they get better at target acquisition and reload rates, or changing distance and deflection, or firing a familiar weapon while moving. But a platoon of SS troops, just because they’re [I]Elite[/I], does not know how to adequately man and operate an abandoned Wirblewind.

Mine-clearing is a trained skill, Infantry and Engineers receive it, as do infantry variants (SF, Airborne, etc.). Who doesn’t get that training? Barge Carrier drivers, for example. But hey, they’re a crew, let ‘em clear a few mines, right? Because they’re [I]Elite[/I]. Where are your statistics?

Stop equating Hollywood with combat reality. I've been there, done it, do it, and know what I'm talking about on this one. You, I'd venture to say, do not.

You want it all, you’re into finding out all the exploits to “game” better. Bet you’re a big fan of moving and shooting with the big AA guns too, aren’t you?

EDIT:

Oh, and Viking, I agree whole-heartedly with the Marine approach. I think that all MOS's should be trained in soldier basics first. That's one thing I can't argue with my Marine friends, and one thing I lament about our training doctrine. BTW, I'm considering F9-ing in that huge battle, as I can't reinforce. Once you've punched through, there's nothing behind it :(.

Well-played. Next time, it'll have to be a H2H match, I still dream about your darn M9 Bazookas and wake up screaming. :p

Post #: 29
- 8/20/2003 1:55:56 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Seems you were at the military one day too many. And that is my last comment to you.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> And I tought I knew every tactics... :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI