Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do I generate lots of ruins?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> How do I generate lots of ruins? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/26/2021 8:12:24 PM   
jking142

I know the generation mechanics have changed a lot since the original release. Back then, I recall some screenshots of worlds covered with ruins. I believe the pre-war pop was in the 20-30 billion range.

Is that pop what is needed for the large fields of ruins to generate? And if so, what generation characteristics do I need to specify in order to have a chance at those numbers? So far, I rarely get a world in the 3-5 billion range, with very modest ruins.

Thanks for the help!
Post #: 1
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/26/2021 8:26:53 PM   
zgrssd

To my knowledge it is population.
The ability to get such high population planets has been patched out and then patched in again around History Classes.

I think the main thing is that you need lots of rainfall. Over 1000 mm at least. 3000+ better. The rainfall should also be well distributed across the planet, so it is not just some oases.

(in reply to jking142)
Post #: 2
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 3:57:40 AM   
Mina

It's probably a ratio of planet size to max pre-apocalypse pop. I generated a small planet with 3 billion people before the apocalypse (Max I'd ever managed) and I had tons of multi-hex ruined cities, generally 10 ruin tiles or bigger. Tbh it was probably TOO many ruin tiles.

Also pay attention to entries in the colonization history log mentioning hi-tech industry or military bases etc., these create artifact spots on ruin tiles which can get you some very powerful items depending on the type of pre-colonization event that created them.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 5:26:55 AM   
Pratapon51

I've rolled Earth+ sized planets with populations in the billions that had huge sprawling ruined megacities. Generally, going for the billions on a habitable planet class is a good bet.

(in reply to Mina)
Post #: 4
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 6:45:03 AM   
Twotribes

I cant get over 12 billion on largest planet.

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 5
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 12:51:37 PM   
jking142

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pratapon51

I've rolled Earth+ sized planets with populations in the billions that had huge sprawling ruined megacities. Generally, going for the billions on a habitable planet class is a good bet.

Outstanding. How do I go about "going for the billions?" I don't know what parameters to start with (other than excluding cerberus, etc.) And I presume that at each stage of the generation process, there are some better and worse options?

I get that the last step can have a huge range (presumably based on the colonization sim), but I imagine that the max pop is capped by the planet attributes themselves. Do we know what the goldilocks characteristics are? I have aimed toward earth-like, but maybe paradise is better? for instance, slightly lower g? Maybe less axial tilt? A bit drier than home? Is alien life helpful?

Thanks again for the insights.

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 6
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 12:57:36 PM   
Twotribes

On siwa planets you want 18 to 22 degrees 700 plus rain around 10 percent mountains and oceans, can be less. even that you might need a lot of rolls on pop screen. On largest planet max is just under 12billion.

(in reply to jking142)
Post #: 7
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/27/2021 1:36:30 PM   
Pratapon51

quote:

ORIGINAL: jking142

quote:

Outstanding. How do I go about "going for the billions?" I don't know what parameters to start with (other than excluding cerberus, etc.) And I presume that at each stage of the generation process, there are some better and worse options?

I get that the last step can have a huge range (presumably based on the colonization sim), but I imagine that the max pop is capped by the planet attributes themselves. Do we know what the goldilocks characteristics are? I have aimed toward earth-like, but maybe paradise is better? for instance, slightly lower g? Maybe less axial tilt? A bit drier than home? Is alien life helpful?

Thanks again for the insights.

Going for large Siwa-classes is always a good bet, but in general as long as the climate isn't too terrible, dice gods are the main arbiter. Even less 'perfect' worlds I've played can have hundreds of mil. or billion people if it turns into a major mining colony, manufacturing center, etc.

(in reply to jking142)
Post #: 8
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 2/28/2021 9:56:53 PM   
Uemon

Just keep in mind that if you generate 100s of ruins it will essentially break the economy and ruin your game in the long run. Also the overpowered artifact locations will be all over the place. I think the AI will go insane and build gazillion units.

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 9
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 3/1/2021 3:04:26 AM   
newageofpower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uemon

Just keep in mind that if you generate 100s of ruins it will essentially break the economy and ruin your game in the long run. Also the overpowered artifact locations will be all over the place. I think the AI will go insane and build gazillion units.
That's great! Even on Extreme difficulty with Nemesis, the AI becomes a cakewalk mid-late game.

< Message edited by newageofpower -- 3/1/2021 3:05:45 AM >

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 10
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 3/1/2021 7:36:36 AM   
Pratapon51

quote:

ORIGINAL: newageofpower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uemon

That's great! Even on Extreme difficulty with Nemesis, the AI becomes a cakewalk mid-late game.

They're still quite easy even then. Personally, I think one thing that would make a big difference without having to use more processing power is to make the AI upgrade its units more aggressively. They stick with older models for a loong time, making them underpowered despite their tech-level wizardry.

(in reply to newageofpower)
Post #: 11
RE: How do I generate lots of ruins? - 3/1/2021 1:52:05 PM   
newageofpower

quote:

They're still quite easy even then. Personally, I think one thing that would make a big difference without having to use more processing power is to make the AI upgrade its units more aggressively. They stick with older models for a loong time, making them underpowered despite their tech-level wizardry.

Not just models, but the fact they order bad postures that are inappropriate for the situation, don't try very hard to pocket & annihilate your units,ajd overall poor decision-making.

(in reply to Pratapon51)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> How do I generate lots of ruins? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI