Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview now available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview now available Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview now av... - 4/28/2020 8:10:49 AM   
Dimitris

Hi all,

You can now download updated high-resolution texture and elevation tiles for Tacview, for use with CMO.

Links and instructions here: https://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

Please don't be a bandwidth hog, take only the files you will need.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/28/2020 8:11:10 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 4/28/2020 10:09:57 AM   
darkhelix

Is it possible to download the Sentinel 2 tiles for the world so that we don't have to wait for the sim to load them in, similar to using Ortho tiles in flight simulators.
I don't own Tacview but the loadtimes for the tiles is annoying.
Thanks

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 2
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 5/1/2020 5:36:27 PM   
pclaurent

Can't use bathymetry data or textures with Steam version. Copying files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures has no effect. Also tried ..\AppData\Roaming\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures.
Textures are not visible, and elevation data are not used.
Are there any special instructions for Steam?

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 3
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 5/1/2020 5:39:39 PM   
Dimitris

Hi,

We made a mistake in the path instructions, it has been fixed now. Please take a look: https://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

(in reply to pclaurent)
Post #: 4
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 5/2/2020 9:35:32 AM   
pclaurent

OK, works fine after Tacview update (1.8.3). Tx

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 10/16/2020 12:57:03 AM   
Fritz1776

Having an issue with the SRTM30 files. A bunch of them aren't downloading, instead showing up as a webpage full of gibberish characters in one or no language. e120s60 for example. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or what?

Edit: byassed the issue by saving the webpages to the folder. Still annoying. Also, .zip file for the satellite images perhaps? I'm happy to tolerate a slow download if it means less clicking.

< Message edited by Fritz1776 -- 10/16/2020 1:23:11 AM >

(in reply to pclaurent)
Post #: 6
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 10/16/2020 1:14:15 AM   
KnightHawk75

If you are grabbing them from here: http://warfaresims.slitherine.com/Tacview_SRTM30/
Are you right clicking and saving as (or otherwise doing a save link as action in whatever browser).. vs clicking on the file, which may try and just display it in the browser.

(in reply to Fritz1776)
Post #: 7
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 11/29/2020 6:35:20 PM   
MausMan2

I also had issues with pulling files from this site. Using chrome here. right-click on one of the srtm files and I only see open link or save link. I pick open link in a new window and it instantly downloads for me. Good, but on some files, not sure how many, you only see the un-readable file content.
Example: e020n40.Bathymetry.strm downloads -fine, but the next one, e020n90.Bathymetry.strm, you get the gibberish.

< Message edited by MausMan2 -- 11/29/2020 6:36:24 PM >

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 8
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 12/9/2020 9:00:50 PM   
rbilheimer

Ok, here is a dumb question. I don't want to be a bandwidth hog as referenced above. How do you know which files you need?

(in reply to MausMan2)
Post #: 9
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 12/11/2020 9:08:06 AM   
O.Schmidt

I downloaded the elevation data and can only say that it is not displayed correctly! looks like gibberish!

Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt

(in reply to rbilheimer)
Post #: 10
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 1/1/2021 9:31:30 AM   
chrisol

There aren't dumb questions !

From the Tacview wiki here: https://tacview.fandom.com/wiki/Technical_Reference_-_Terrain_Textures

Tacview requires tiles named like N06E099 where (6,99) is the latitude, longitude coordinates of the bottom-left corner.

So going through the link at the start of this thread you will see a long list of filenames with that appearance. To download the ones you want I'd suggest opening up the scenario you intend to play and checking the latitude and longitude from the Command information (either by the cursor or at the bottom of the screen), and then downloading the tiles that cover the area you are playing in. Obviously quite a bit easier for smaller scenarios (rather than the Pacific rim !), and once you've started you can easily spot the pattern for adjacent tiles. Opening and closing the 3d view allows you to check.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to rbilheimer)
Post #: 11
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 1/13/2021 4:01:06 PM   
fire-fox

Look's like all the ####n90.Bathymetry.srtm files are corrupt. instead of downloading file loads a unreadable script in browser.

(in reply to chrisol)
Post #: 12
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 2/27/2021 6:33:18 PM   
tipsypo

quote:

I downloaded the elevation data and can only say that it is not displayed correctly! looks like gibberish!

Just got CMO (played CMANO briefly in the past) and I second this. It also seems as though there are two terrain layers getting shown one above the other? I do have some screenshots taken from the "Flight Tutorial - AAW 2 - Realistic Detection and Intercept" scenario that I could show but the forum does not allow me to do so.

(in reply to O.Schmidt)
Post #: 13
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 2/27/2021 8:10:57 PM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

ORIGINAL: tipsypo

quote:

Just got CMO (played CMANO briefly in the past) and I second this.

quote:

Bathymetry

Did you try SaveAs (usually a right click option in most browsers) on those files in your browser?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4956425

(in reply to tipsypo)
Post #: 14
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 2/28/2021 8:32:17 PM   
tipsypo

Yeh I realised that I needed to "save link as" them as soon as I saw one being opened up in the web-browser rather than downloaded.
But the problem is that once downloaded and then installed they look like gibberish in-game.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 15
RE: Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview no... - 4/17/2021 1:09:42 PM   
Tricker

Anyone able to get the terrain files to look correct in tacview? If I select "real terrain" after following the path for the files, the terrain looks terrible. Should I just leave it as auto?

(in reply to tipsypo)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Updated textures and elevation files for Tacview now available Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI