Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing Liverpool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Bombing Liverpool Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing Liverpool - 1/14/2021 4:34:18 PM   
Markiss

I never realized how vulnerable having all of it's convoys come into the same port makes the UK, until my opponent bombed Liverpool.

My income went from 475 to 225! That's 250 points every single turn!

Needless to say, this will be my new go-to tactic. The UK can install AA guns and have fighters to intercept, but all that does is do damage to the attacker, it cannot prevent the port from being bombed. And since the payoff is so high, it is worth any amount of casualties to shut down the port.

The only defense would seem to be to keep the majority of the RAF in the UK for the duration of the war, placed right on the southern coast of England to try to keep the Luftwaffe at a distance. But by doing that, you are inviting attack on your aircraft, and severely curtailing your ability to be effective anywhere else on the map. It doesn't seem like a viable solution.

This same thing cannot be done to Germany, since they wisely have their 3 convoys coming into 3 different ports. You would have to shut down all 3, and even then the impact would be much less. Probably not even worth the trouble.

Which begs the question, why is it like this? The UK has far more ports than Germany. If Liverpool got bombed flat, the ships would simply by directed to a different port. It seems like this is an artificial vulnerability that did not really exist. Shutting down the UK's entire maritime trade by taking out a single port should not be possible, yet it is.

Has anyone else seen this weakness exploited? If so, how did you stop it? Keeping enemy ships away from critical ports has always been an important task for the UK, but it is not possible to keep aircraft away.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..
Post #: 1
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 1/14/2021 5:05:58 PM   
The Land

Strikes me as somewhat exploit-y. In reality, convoys could unload at Glasgow or Bristol as well as Liverpool, though Liverpool was the biggest. There would doubtless have been some disruption if Liverpool docks were heavily bombed, but not equivalent to losing the whole overseas income of the UK!

The way convoy events work is to look at hex ownership, not supply ratings, so it might be a pain to fix. Maybe different convoys could have different destinations?

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 1/14/2021 6:32:13 PM   
taffjones

Hi Markiss

In WaW if Liverpool is reduces below 5 (I think) the convoy's switch to Glasgow. I would have thought it was the same in WiE.

If not then there is a ready made fix by copying the WaW script.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/28/2021 12:23:50 PM   
nnason

Markiss,
In WiE Liverpool is a 12 strength. Wouldn't you have to bomb the strength to 4? This would take at least 4 attacks. Seems like the strat bomber would be reduced to nothing with any kind of defense and while it was building up to strike again so would the port. Or is a single;e bombing enough to cut convoys for that turn?

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/28/2021 2:27:10 PM   
Markiss

Liverpool was flattened over a couple turns by a combination of strategic and medium bombers. I did not have it defended from air attack initially, as I did not realize the danger, and had never seen anyone attack it before.

I'm sure his bombers took damage, but it was certainly worth it.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/28/2021 4:58:13 PM   
Dorky8

DE 9999 - Would like to install 2 permanent AA's by the Liverpool port for 50MPPs?

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/28/2021 8:17:11 PM   
Elessar2

More seriously, a few contingency supply route scripts could be added, simple reroutes to another hopefully undamaged port.

(in reply to Dorky8)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/28/2021 9:01:25 PM   
Dorky8

Even more seriously, all the Brit convoys coming into one port that can be reduced below 5 with bombers don't make sense and should be fixed.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 3/1/2021 11:55:15 AM   
BillRunacre

I'll see what I can do here!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Dorky8)
Post #: 9
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/6/2022 7:59:33 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Was anything changed to re-route the Liverpool convoy in this case?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 10
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/7/2022 12:30:29 PM   
BillRunacre

I think it's still a viable strategy if the Axis build up a strong fleet of long range bombers and the Allies don't protect the port well.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 11
RE: Bombing Liverpool - 2/7/2022 3:50:39 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Okay, fair enough. I guess the same applies to Cuxhaven for the Axis and the Norway convoy

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Bombing Liverpool Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI