Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What this Game is

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> What this Game is Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What this Game is - 8/20/2003 3:20:56 PM   
David Heath

I really do not understand anyone in this forum at times. Lets lay some ground rules and start from there.

We are open to questions and if there is something you do not like or would like us to add please tell us. When we started Matrix Games I was told it was crazy to design and develop games with the public being part of the process. This has worked well in the other forums but we seem to have lost it here.

So lets explain how this is going to work.

Frank's Napoleonic game is DEAD and will NEVER see the light of day. Period! There is nothing we can do about that, hence the project is dead.

EIA is a licensed product that we are porting to the computer. It also has some of the EIH rules and designs that we liked. EIH was designed by Mike Treasure and is great design and rule system. Mike was nice enough to come on board and help. Mike brings a lot to the table. THIS WAS NEVER planned to be a TOTALLY NEW DESIGN. So if that is what you want..... this is NOT your game. If you are looking for 100% EIA conversion, well this is not your game.

Those of you left should know that we are only changing rules that will not work well on the PC version. The Naval intercept rules are NOT going to work and will need to be changed to better work on the PC version.

Now lets talk about the map. I will ask Harry ( the designer of EIA) and see about the port issue.

I like to know what about the map and counters you like and dislike. The map is pretty close to the final version the counters are not.

Marshall and I will be talking with week so we can get a better handle on this.

David

Post #: 1
- 8/20/2003 6:12:42 PM   
Nordiska

could you guys clue us in as to what optional rules are being looked at to be included in the game? Or which are going to be included. Everyone would increase the replayability of the game.
Thanks.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 8/20/2003 6:26:16 PM   
ABP

Hello David,

I agree that the discussions have spun somewhat out of control. I guess it is just that a lot of people are very passionate about EiA.
I fully support your idea of making the gameplay like the original where possible and modify only where necesary.

About the map:
I think it looks great. I like the historical feel it has. There where afterall no satelite photoes in the period. Some of the maps of the time where even more "uncorrect", but as I said that is not the main thing.
I think it is more important that the map facilitate the gameplay, and not if this city is further north that some think it should be or the exact shape of the countries.

The counters:
I guess there are if possible more opinions about what the counters should look like than the map.
I think the main thing is that the map and the counters have the same feel.
As it is in the beta screenshots I think that the counters are a bit too square. I would like to see that they where a bit more rounded. I also think the land counters could be a little wider.
About stacking, I hope the will be more phased or that we in settings can sellect how much they cover each other.

The mini-map:
I like this very much. Will the counters be represented here as well? Maybe as colloured dots?

What about overlays? Will you have different selectable overlays, either on the whole map or the mini-map. For example area control, political relations and states of war etc.

Post #: 3
- 8/20/2003 8:26:00 PM   
mmurray821

Well David, I don't know about anyone else, but what I got from the site/forum/new posts that this game was going to be a straight port with a few modifications. I guess it would help if people did some background research before going off on a post.

Anyway, I like how the counters look. I really don't care what they look like as long as you can easily tell what they are (Inf./Cav./Art.) at a quick glance and who they belong to. Having all the "Stack" and counter information at the bottom of the screen when you select it is handy too and much appreciated.

I love the way the map looks. It seems to fit in with the whole napoleonic era while providing great detail of what is in the province.

Keep up the good work! :D

Post #: 4
- 8/20/2003 10:42:10 PM   
peskpesk

The map looks very promising even tough I have only seen what has been posted here at the forums. Maybe the national border colors needs to be shaper and if possible it would be nice if Scandinavia could be expanded in the North, to stop the silly
ends of Norway, Sweden and Finland.

The counters are okay. I would like the classical bordgame symbols or a banner more.

Regarding discussion on the forum going little bit out of hand. It's a little bit expected. Matrix games http://www.empiresinarmsonline.com/
site is not updated and people, myself included are desperately trying to get info at the site and here at the forums. If you at Matrix game release more info to us none B-testers then the problem might exist... :D

Post #: 5
- 8/21/2003 12:06:53 AM   
Pippin

I find it amusing that there are still qutie a few users stuck in the old ways of demanding to play by slow e-mail, yet at the same time, get upset if the game is altered.

Some people just don't get the simple fact, that games made to be played in a group or (tcp/ip) do not do so well by e-mail, and modifications have to be done and elements thrown out or it would take two hundred years just to finish one game to completion.

I would hope some of these people learn to enjoy online play, instead of getting upset for not getting something that is physicaly impossible.

The way I look at it, there will be no pleasing these types no matter what trade-offs you do.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

Post #: 6
- 8/21/2003 12:47:49 AM   
David Heath

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my post. The details are light because its being playtested and we already added and deleted items to the game.

Once we get a better hand on this and how the game is playing we will release the guys to better discuss the game with you all.

Keep the comments coming.

David

Post #: 7
- 8/21/2003 1:17:20 AM   
ASHBERY76

The counters don't suit the map, they need to blend in more.

Post #: 8
- 8/21/2003 2:04:51 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mmurray821
[B]Well David, I don't know about anyone else, but what I got from the site/forum/new posts that this game was going to be a straight port with a few modifications. I guess it would help if people did some background research before going off on a post. [/B][/QUOTE]

I also thought this was going to be a straight port with a few mods, however, this seems less and less the case considering things like interception now being out of the game and EiH rules being entered into the game. I am not sure how anyone can do background research on a game not developed or on a forum where info is not shared regularly.

I would prefer for the counters to look like they do in the board game. If not, I also think they need to "blend in better with the map". I have no problems with the way the map looks, in fact, I think the map is [B]awesome[/B].

Is there anyway of letting us know (maybe not right now but before I spend 60 bucks for this game) exactly which rules from EIH are going to be used and which rules from EIA are going to be excluded??

This game almost DOES sound like a new game, like some sort of hybrid between EIH, EIA, and other adds.

How exactly is interception going to not be done? This will significantly reduce Britain's power at sea and make them more vulnerable to attack.

Lastly, I just want to express my understanding of what a daunting and enormous undertaking this project is. EiA has got to be one of the more complicated games as far as porting it to the PC, I am sure.

Post #: 9
- 8/21/2003 4:50:37 AM   
Capitaine

ryta, hopefully without incurring your wrath, you're a little late to this party. Many of these issues were discussed at length in previous "monthly reports" by Matrix before beta testing began. The interception thing was one of them that was thoroughly discussed. In fact, if you go back and read this whole topic, I'm sure you'll find the back and forth between critics and developers that you want, but missed.

It happened but you're just a day late and a dollar short... ;)

Just trying to say that there's been a heckuva lot of information about direction that was already released and discussed, and that phase essentially has passed.

Also, for others "concerned", I'm 100% certain that before this game is released, we will have more up-to-date screenshots posted before you part with your money. Has there been a Matrix game yet where we didn't know what it even looked like? I think we should all be a little more patient at this stage and await word when Matrix deems that appropriate. :)

Post #: 10
- 8/21/2003 5:31:54 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capitaine
[B]ryta, hopefully without incurring your wrath, you're a little late to this party. Many of these issues were discussed at length in previous "monthly reports" by Matrix before beta testing began. The interception thing was one of them that was thoroughly discussed. In fact, if you go back and read this whole topic, I'm sure you'll find the back and forth between critics and developers that you want, but missed.

It happened but you're just a day late and a dollar short... ;)

Just trying to say that there's been a heckuva lot of information about direction that was already released and discussed, and that phase essentially has passed.

Also, for others "concerned", I'm 100% certain that before this game is released, we will have more up-to-date screenshots posted before you part with your money. Has there been a Matrix game yet where we didn't know what it even looked like? I think we should all be a little more patient at this stage and await word when Matrix deems that appropriate. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I wasn't asking about the interception, I was stating a fact. I said "not be done?". It was a rhetorical question and a reiteration of my disdain for Matrix's decision regarding this issue. Second, if you go back and read the posts and forums you will notice that I started posting on here awhile ago and I also took an active part in those posts. I have been here for a couple months and have 75 posts on these forums, all being in the EiA forum (as I am not really interested in anything else Matrix does). As far as being "concerned", to some of us $60 is a lot of money to pay for a video game, not all of us were born with silver spoons. Silly Rabbit.

ps. I consistently express my appreciation that a company actually has the guts to undertake such a difficult task, so back up off me. Please. Thank you.

Post #: 11
- 8/21/2003 7:42:17 AM   
Capitaine

Um... I forgive you b/c you must've forgotten your medication this morning... :eek:

Post #: 12
- 8/21/2003 7:46:12 AM   
pasternakski

I've been around for a long time and I'm still worried.

As Ryta implies (easy, bud, Capitaine don't seem like too bad a guy on a good day), this is a matter of consumerism in the computer wargame market, not a lovefest with those who aspire to make a profit.

When it's cookin', give me some. While it's lame, keep it off my lawn.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 13
Re: What this Game is - 8/21/2003 8:45:58 AM   
Le Tondu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]...........I like to know what about the map and counters you like and dislike. The map is pretty close to the final version the counters are not.

Marshall and I will be talking with week so we can get a better handle on this.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

David,

Thanks for clearing the air a little.

The counters (IMHO) look funny with that oval which has the national flag inside. I've talked about this elsewhere, but they all would look better if they were rectangular like they were in real life. There is room for them to be rectangular, afterall. The 1804 pattern French "flag" in the oval barely resembles it's real world counterpart and is sorely lacking the detail that the other nation's flags have.

Will we still be able to mod the counters and the map?

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 14
Counters - 8/21/2003 7:20:49 PM   
Yorlum

A possible idea regarding counters.

I can see both sides of the issue, those who'd prefer to keep the original style and those for whom a more artistic approach is preferable.

I own Hearts of Iron, by a publisher who I will not name :) It has a feature which enables you to switch counter views from one style to another. Could not something like that be done for EiA?

Post #: 15
Feed back - 8/21/2003 7:30:34 PM   
Hoche

Map:
I like it but keep like the board game. For example the Axis & Allies map has some major errors in geography but the board games was good and I was happy to see the comp version didn't change it. The Antwerp issue is minor and brought up by someone who obviously never played the board game.

Counters:
Personally I prefer the orginal counters but this comp version is a great oppertunity to create some really good looking counters. The main point on counters is that they be easily read. I should be able to look at my corp counters and quickly know which corps they are. I would like for the corps numbers to be visible to the player of that country but not visble to the other players.

Other issues:
After looking at the latest screen shots I noticed there seemd to be alot of abreviations. That concerned me a little. It may work but on the other hand having to learn a bunch of abreviations could be annoying.

Thanks Dave for bring this forum back in line. It was getting out of hand.

Post #: 16
- 8/21/2003 9:08:40 PM   
Treasure

Hi all,
I know this may sound a bit trite, but please be patient. A lot of the issues that have been raised regarding the graphics (counters, map), as well as inclusion of various EiH rules, are not currently in their final form.
Once these items have been finalized, I'm certain that they will be communicated and there will be more details and screenshots. Based on how Matrix has done previous games, I'd be surprised it is was otherwise.
As one of the beta-testers, I can assure you that things are steadily moving forward.
Mt

Post #: 17
- 8/22/2003 12:51:22 AM   
pasternakski

As I said before, I'm taking a "wait and see" stance on this game.

But if the map still has "Le Harve" on it in the finished product, I'm gonna be real disappointed.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 18
- 8/22/2003 1:57:43 AM   
VicKevlar

@ryta1203

Knock off the personal insults. Period. It applies to anyone and everyone round dese parts. If you wish to do such things....take it to PM, IM or email. It is simply not tolerated.

The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.

C. T. Shortis

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> What this Game is Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI