Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxed editions - Please Address

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxed editions - Please Address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxed ed... - 3/2/2021 3:32:24 PM   
Genosse

Attn. Erik and Matrix,

I was going to be a day one preorder customer for the physical plus manual edition of War in the East 2, but I thought the shipping price was exorbitant and the order page unclear, in addition to the earlier confusion today about the launch. This has given me pause and I would appreciate a response on why this works this way. I've attempted to attach a screen shot to show what I'm looking at.

My concerns:

Price - I thought an additional twenty dollars was fine to upgrade to a physical edition plus manual, but I got a shock when the shipping menu popped up. All said and done the cheapest option to go from digital to physical raises the overall price by more than 60% to up over 130 US dollars, and that is for what is an already expensive (although I think worthwhile) game. Does this seem reasonable to you? Is this steep price because I live in the United States and you're shipping from the UK? I just went back in my email receipts and in 2015 the shipping for my physical copy of Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa with the beautiful manual came to a meager $6.95 - what is going on here?

Clarity - After getting hit with the price, it also didn't sit well that it isn't very clear what I'm getting with these two expensive options - why the choice? I don't know anything about DBD, but why would I pick the much more expensive Royal Mail? Is this an inside the UK versus international shipping thing?

At minimum to satisfy my concerns,

Can you provide some details about whether manuals will be available for individual order later, and how long they likely may remain in stock/be available for purchase later this year?

Can you explain a little bit about the shipping options? Is there a reason Royal Mail is over 50% more expensive than DPD? Is it 50% better, or can we expect significant differences in packaging care or speed between the two? Again, is the shocking price based on customer location?

This is overall very frustrating, having a commemorative physical manual would be nice, but on the other hand it doesn't make a ton of sense given how radically documentation should change with updates in a modern game. I am questioning it being worth $50 all told, really the price of a second game. I am a fan and regular customer of Matrix, I own WitE 1 and both expansions and am no stranger to premium wargame prices but I thought this was a bit much to ask of the customer.

Thank You for your attention, and I hope to see an explanation!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 3:58:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Genosse,

Thank you for your questions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Genosse
My concerns:

Price - I thought an additional twenty dollars was fine to upgrade to a physical edition plus manual, but I got a shock when the shipping menu popped up. All said and done the cheapest option to go from digital to physical raises the overall price by more than 60% to up over 130 US dollars, and that is for what is an already expensive (although I think worthwhile) game. Does this seem reasonable to you? Is this steep price because I live in the United States and you're shipping from the UK? I just went back in my email receipts and in 2015 the shipping for my physical copy of Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa with the beautiful manual came to a meager $6.95 - what is going on here?

I understand. There are two key things that have changed since your order of DC: Barbarossa. First, we did move all shipping to a UK warehouse and as a result shipping to the US is more expensive. However, it's not that much more expensive for normal physical copies. What makes it much more expensive here is that shipping rates for heavier items (like the 520 page full color hardbound WITE2 manual) have been going up, especially over the last year. We decided to print the largest and most comprehensive manual we've ever made, but the additional shipping costs go along with that because of the sheer weight of it. These are pass-through costs for us, we are not making a profit on the physical copies and their shipping.

quote:

Clarity - After getting hit with the price, it also didn't sit well that it isn't very clear what I'm getting with these two expensive options - why the choice? I don't know anything about DBD, but why would I pick the much more expensive Royal Mail? Is this an inside the UK versus international shipping thing?

I agree this is unclear from a US perspective. I'm seeking more information on this right now to better advise on the differences between Royal Mail and DPD.

quote:

Can you provide some details about whether manuals will be available for individual order later, and how long they likely may remain in stock/be available for purchase later this year?

We have an initial print run which is coming by both air and sea. We do plan to re-order when that initial print run is sold out, but there may be a gap while physical copies are unavailable. We do eventually plan to offer physical upgrades. However, in all these cases, the weight of the manual and shipping costs are very likely to be exactly the same.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Genosse)
Post #: 2
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 5:59:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hello, just to follow up on this, I spoke with our UK staff and they highly recommend the "DPD - Air Classic" option. It is the least expensive and most reliable for shipping outside the UK.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/2/2021 6:00:04 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 6:47:54 PM   
jacktimes2

That would’ve been nice to know this morning.

Post #: 4
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 6:53:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jacktimes2

Agreed, unfortunately I didn't know until now.

If you placed a pre-order with a different shipping option, we may be able to change it for you. Please contact support@matrixgames.com.

Was the DPD-Air Classic not the default shipping option when you placed an order?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 5
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 6:55:11 PM   
jacktimes2

Understandable. I believe it was the default. I changed it thinking it would get here faster, ha. I will send an email. Thanks!

Post #: 6
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 8:01:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Also FYI I've just posted the first manual preview here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4972900

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 7
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 8:10:07 PM   
verdugo94

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Agreed, unfortunately I didn't know until now.

If you placed a pre-order with a different shipping option, we may be able to change it for you. Please contact support@matrixgames.com.

Was the DPD-Air Classic not the default shipping option when you placed an order?

I have contacted this email because I would like to change from Royal Mail to Dpd too

Post #: 8
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/2/2021 10:30:29 PM   
Light4bettor

Erik,

Of course I chose Royal Air before I read your post, I live in the U.S., and I'm concerned that I might have set myself up for some problems with shipping, can I change my shipping option? Thanks.

Post #: 9
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 12:23:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

Just to be clear, you'll still get it just fine with Royal Air, it just may be slower and will be more expensive. As far as switching shipping options, I've asked our support folks to do what they can on this but until tomorrow I'm not sure it's possible without canceling and re-ordering. You can contact them at support@matrixgames.com.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Light4bettor)
Post #: 10
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 1:37:16 AM   
jacktimes2

Canceling and re-ordering would bump us to the back of the queue to receive our copy of the physical manual, correct?

Post #: 11
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 2:07:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

That is unfortunately correct, the way the order system works.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 12
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 3:16:56 AM   
jacktimes2

I greatly appreciate your transparency. I will hold fast and stick with the Royal Mail.

Post #: 13
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 7:00:35 AM   
Kursk1943

quote:

I greatly appreciate your transparency. I will hold fast and stick with the Royal Mail.

Very good job, Erik!

< Message edited by Kursk1943 -- 3/3/2021 7:01:18 AM >

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 14
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 8:58:36 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

quote:

Very good job, Erik!

Out of curiosity, now that BREXIT is a done thing, did it had an impact on shipping prices from the UK? I must admit that I'm clueless about the matter

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 15
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 12:00:35 PM   
Grouchy

For the European Union what will have a impact on the costs is that as of 1 January 2021 the rules for purchasing items online from the UK are the same ones that apply when you order goods from anywhere outside the European Union, such as from the United States or China. This means that:

- you must pay VAT in on products that cost more than €xx (in my country that amount is €22).
- you must also pay import duties if products cost more than €xxx (in my country that amount is €150).

You will be charged these costs by the delivery company.

The delivery company will also need to declare the goods to customs and pay customs clearance costs. These costs will be passed on to you.

Don't be surprised that this will add another €30-€40.

< Message edited by Grouchy -- 3/3/2021 12:02:31 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 16
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 1:41:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

We're having a discussion about this today internally and it comes down to the following:

- Only the customer can really decide what is the best shipping option for them, given the wide variety of possible address types, countries and customs/tax laws.
- We should do our best to inform the customer about each shipping option and where we are shipping from so that they can make the best possible decision
- Customers should know that more expensive shipping is not always equal to best shipping option.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 17
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 8:22:33 PM   
Maesphil74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

For the European Union what will have a impact on the costs is that as of 1 January 2021 the rules for purchasing items online from the UK are the same ones that apply when you order goods from anywhere outside the European Union, such as from the United States or China. This means that:

- you must pay VAT in on products that cost more than €xx (in my country that amount is €22).
- you must also pay import duties if products cost more than €xxx (in my country that amount is €150).

The delivery company will also need to declare the goods to customs and pay customs clearance costs. These costs will be passed on to you.

I thought their warehouse was located in Germany. In that case shouldn't have any impact from Brexit.
Maybe somebody could confirm?

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 18
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 9:36:33 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maesphil74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

I thought their warehouse was located in Germany. In that case shouldn't have any impact from Brexit.
Maybe somebody could confirm?

This whole thread is about the fact that their warehouse is in UK.....(presumably because of Slitherine)

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 3/3/2021 9:37:23 PM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 19
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 9:59:58 PM   
Maesphil74

quote:

[Reply to Message] All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxed editions - Please Address Page: [1]

I understand that. But it was my impression they shipped all US orders from the UK. And then the other warehouse shipped to the EU.
That's not the case then?

this info:
https://www.matrixgames.com/news/european-warehouse-cheaper-shipping10-05-17
is no longer correct then?

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 20
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/3/2021 10:47:47 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maesphil74
I understand that. But it was my impression they shipped all US orders from the UK. And then the other warehouse shipped to the EU.
That's not the case then?

That Warehouse belonged to CustomCD which was our partner for the boxed editions.
That only last for some months as it was not profitable for CustomCD and they had to close it.
Meanwhile CustomCD was sold and we had to arrange a solution for the boxed editions.
So we started to produce ourselves the boxed editions.
Since two years ago, all boxed editions are now produced and shipped from UK.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4568621

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 3/3/2021 11:05:29 PM >

(in reply to Maesphil74)
Post #: 21
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/10/2021 5:18:11 PM   
gekkoguy35

Will the potential order upgrades/reprints later this year feature manual changes or corrections from subsequent game updates? I guess I'm just trying to determine if I should get it now, or wait until some updates have come through that might affect what's in the manual. Thanks for any info y'all may have! The shipping question and answer was quite helpful.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 22
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/10/2021 5:45:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

No plans for that at present, but we will be maintaining a "living manual" in digital form over time. I'm not expecting major changes that would affect the manual's validity anytime soon.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 23
RE: Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxe... - 3/10/2021 6:38:03 PM   
gekkoguy35

Thanks Erik, much appreciated.

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Misgivings/Questions about shipping for WitE 2 boxed editions - Please Address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI