Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things to assist the newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Things to assist the newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things to assist the newbie - 8/19/2003 6:39:10 AM   
Adam Parker

Without doubt the experience level of gamers playing KP will vary and going by posts here it looks like the game will be "the" introduction to war gaming for a great many. Welcome to the hobby!

Whilst gameplay imo as I've noted in another thread, is a mixture of both simplicity and complexity depending on how deep gamers wish to delve into the nuances of the engine, there are a couple of things new war gamers may benefit from exploring when taking on the role of either the Soviet "Stavka" or German High Command (this particularly in light of a review comparing the game to an RTS!) :D Here's what I recommend:

1. Try to find a source explaining the hierachy and make-up of a military force. KP is basically a regimental approach to fighting war. Some concept of how armies are comprised of corps, divisions, brigades, regiments, battalions etc., therefore, will help you grasp the types of units you control and how they relate to one another; why Divisional Integrity exists etc.; why some units are viewed as divisional assets and not core parts of divisions; the difference in combat efficiency between regiments and battalions; why 3-4 units usually depict a regiment and not 2 or 5....

2. Try to find a source explaining Nato symbology used (to this day) in illustrating what a particular military unit represents. Eg: that a cross represents an infantry unit, that a cross with an oval represents a mechanised nfantry unit. In time these things will become second nature to you but going into the game with this understanding will make throwing yourself into the action a much deeper and rewarding first experience. Also look for a chart explaining the symbology used in illustrating the military hierachy as for point 1.

With these things you will be armed with the same knowledge that even the most experienced war gamers hold - and dare I say, with the idiosynchracies of this game system you may prove yourself as adept as an upstart Alexander or Napoleon and beat the pants off them :D

Happy gaming,
Adam.
Post #: 1
- 8/20/2003 1:44:27 AM   
bagpuss

Adam Parker
thanks ........
btw is there no descriptions of the game icons in the manual ?.......lol .....I hope so .........is there any sites anyone can recommend about info on wargames ,icons ,strategies etc (I got the one for Wacht am Rhein,excellent place .....)

cheers
bagpuss

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
- 8/20/2003 5:56:05 AM   
Adam Parker

I actually had you in mind when I wrote that! The rulebook gives some idea with a discussion of the generic roles of armor vs infantry etc., as they relate to the game.

It may help you and others new to the hobby though, to know a little more - eg basics: how many troops typically comprise a division vs a battalion, what's the difference between "XX" and "II" on a military symbol? More advanced: Is there a difference between armored cav and mech infantry? What's a Kampfgruppe? What are Russian Guards? Things like this, not at all necessary to play KP but which will fill out your role as General imo.

The thing about war gaming is that the hobby usually leads a person to reading and research. So these things if unknown will certainly be picked up in time and most war games will provide gamers with this core information as their collection grows.

The Korusn campaign history provided with the game is a fine jumping off point which should raise many questions for further investigation in the minds of the curious too ;)

Adam.

Post #: 3
- 8/20/2003 9:52:04 AM   
Jeff Lackey

Here's a start if you want a great reference on NATO symbols:

http://www.battlefront.com/resources/tacops/HQ/files/app-6.zip

Post #: 4
- 8/20/2003 5:07:34 PM   
BrubakerII

These are fair comments made about the manual I think - it does tend to assume people playing the game have a grounding in wargaming. The tutorials also are very good but explain how to play the game, and not necessarily understand why x units are there or why they are attacking at location y.

I think the historical section at the end of the manual is excellent in describing the complexities of the battle itself, and pretty much explain all one needs to know about the battle unless they are a real grognard.

Which leads me to an interesting question: what exactly draws a newcomer to the genre and in particular this game? Is it attraction to other games by Matrix and hence cross pollination on the forums? Is it recommendation by someone?

Welcome aboard to all those new to this 'sport' and congrats to Adam for recognising a 'hole' in the information spectrum.

Perhaps we need to start a 'basics' type thread to explain some of the nitty gritty?

Brubaker

PS: Please no one feel so 'green' so as not to ask a question. I have a little knowledge and am always delighted to learn what I do not know. Ask away. The only dumb question is the one not asked...

Post #: 5
- 8/20/2003 7:42:11 PM   
Sonny

Those symbols indicating type of troop and size of unit are a great help in most wargames. However, on the KP screen they are too small because the counters are too small and they have the unit insignia on them. Great idea - just too small.:(

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 6
- 8/20/2003 9:38:49 PM   
IJN_Shinano

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]Those symbols indicating type of troop and size of unit are a great help in most wargames. However, on the KP screen they are too small because the counters are too small and they have the unit insignia on them. Great idea - just too small.:( [/B][/QUOTE]

They might be small, but they do the job quite well in my opinion. At a glance, I can spot elements of a division without having to click on each and every unit in a given area.

One thing I would like to see is a few more varied symbols for the USSR. The German side has quite a few unique divisional insignia.

Post #: 7
- 8/20/2003 9:39:59 PM   
Capitaine

Yeah, Sonny, I'm holding out hope that there will be a zoom feature for map and units (i.e., "battlefield view") forthcoming. The map and units are so nicely done, it's ashame to hide them under that small screen size w/o allowing for a larger view of the counter and terrain details. :)

Post #: 8
- 8/20/2003 9:42:40 PM   
Jeff Lackey

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]Those symbols indicating type of troop and size of unit are a great help in most wargames. However, on the KP screen they are too small because the counters are too small and they have the unit insignia on them. Great idea - just too small.:( [/B][/QUOTE]

I do agree that a zoom function would be a great help - I suspect that a lot of people will play this game on laptops, as it lends itself so well to notebook gaming (and I suspect many grognards are older and have notebooks.) For my review, I ran it on my Viewsonic 19" monitor and on my Dell notebook's large LCD - it was pretty good on the Viewsonic (I'm a digital photographer and keep my monitor pretty well calibrated) and it was sharp, but small enough to be a challenge on the Dell.

Also - I think it would be a GREAT idea to have a thread devoted exclusively to links for newbies to the genre. We need to get more people into the wargaming hobby, and a resources link would be great. I did a quick search in Google and had a hard time coming up with a simple online reference to standard WWII organizational charts (i.e., Army, Corps, Divisions, etc. and the app. size of each for each country, etc.)

Post #: 9
- 8/22/2003 12:30:19 AM   
bagpuss

what is a "grognard" ?

I read a good review of KP,an I fancy a change from the usual boring rts or fps,thats what attracted me to the game

thanks for the info zip ,
cheers
bagpuss

Post #: 10
- 8/22/2003 1:55:56 AM   
elmo3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bagpuss
[B]what is a "grognard" ?....[/B][/QUOTE]

Originally a grognard was a soldier of Napoleon's Old Guard; also a veteran soldier; and/or a grumbler.

It is now often used as slang for a wargamer and also for a wargamer who really insists on historical accuracy and grumbles vociferously if he doesn't find it in a wargame.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Things to assist the newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI