Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New game - Operation Citadel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New game - Operation Citadel Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/11/2021 4:19:57 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2360690666&searchtext=

Seems to be possible.

Perfect example, thanks!

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 31
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/11/2021 6:38:45 PM   
ncc1701e

Good luck with the game

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 32
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/12/2021 10:42:54 AM   
goodwoodrw

Just bought it as well, I like what I have seen so far. Easy to get into. and yes Val, Australians use the queens English, well at least the older ones do

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 33
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/12/2021 10:55:03 AM   
Simulacra53

There’s a 50% sale going on right now.

Not affiliated, but that’s quite a bargain.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 34
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/14/2021 6:45:49 AM   
Simulacra53

Ok, this will be my last self reply on this topic for some time, have to cool down, but...

Just had to share the fact that this game is also available on mobile devices at a *very* reasonable price.

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of the first campaign on iPad - Germany Eastern 1939.
The game plays very smoothly (this is on an iPad model 2018).

Again, not affiliated, but IMO this game deserves more attention and traction within the community.

No it is not the deepest and most accurate experience, but IMO it has a nice mix going that lifts it just a little higher. Judging by my first couple of plays I know I am going to put a lot more hours in this one (not just talk about doing so).

I’ll stop now - thanks for tolerating.

< Message edited by Simulacra53 -- 2/14/2021 6:59:59 AM >

Simulacra53
Free Julian Assange

Post #: 35
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 2/15/2021 6:29:34 PM   
AndySfromVA

This is a fine game but I wish the developer had included some shorter scenarios. I generally don't wish to play a game for more than an hour or two at a time and reloading a saved game entails a break in concentration.

Post #: 36
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/5/2021 9:54:28 PM   
maitrebongo

How I fell in love with Operation Citadel

During the last few months and while we were confined, I had a lot of time to get out a good part of the wargames that were sleeping in my archives and play them again. It was the occasion for me to ask myself the fundamental question of "What makes a computer wargame good enough to make you still want to play it, even several years after you acquired it?"
As a result, I wondered which wargame I would have liked to take to a desert island if I had to take only one.
The answer, as surprising as it is, is a "little game" discovered almost by chance during my peregrinations in the world of wargame and which many people are starting to talk about: Operation Citadel.

To try to understand how this game, so confidential until now, is the one that wins my vote when so many of its illustrious competitors could have claimed this title of computer wargame that you absolutely must own, you have to define (according to my personal opinion) what a good wargame is.

A good wargame is in 2D

The arrival of 3D in the world of wargame has been a disaster in many cases. It is better to have a good 2D than a cheap 3D. Moreover when you like to find the feeling of wargames board games in front of your screen, it is not a necessity. So I will only talk about board wargames in this subject and will leave aside the Combat Mission and other Steel Division.

A good wargame is turn by turn

Real-time gaming can have its good points (as in Command Mordern Operation) but I think it is detrimental to the desired gaming experience. It's one of the things that bothers me the most in the Close Combat series, which I love by the way, not enough time for reflection, the feeling of being stressed.

A good wargame is simple

Simple does not mean simplistic. Personally, when I want to play a game, I don't want to have to memorize pages and pages of rules or have to micromanage the smallest details. Some people like it... but not me. The mechanics of the game are simple to learn but are a pleasant challenge to master.

A good wargame is beautiful

It's obvious to me, a computer game has to be beautiful, nice to look at. A bit like when I was younger I used to spend hours looking at the illustrations of wargame boxes in the shelves of specialized stores or even today I still open one of these boxes just to look at the cards and counters inside.
Most of today's computer wargames have graphics that don't live up to what you would expect from a 21st century video game, it's a fact. Only a few of them are doing well, like Lock'n'Load Tactical of course and Wars Across The World for example.
Operation Citadel is very nice from a graphical point of view (especially since the last version 3.0) and allows to play in resolutions up to 4K.

A good wargame must have a good AI

No game today has a really smart AI. What is asked of it is to be convincing, to give the impression of playing against another human being and to offer a balanced challenge. Some games fare better than others, and Operation Citadel's AI has convinced me on those specific points.

A good wargame must offer editors

So there, we must admit that what was a standard a few years ago is completely disappearing. Fewer and fewer editors of scenarios, campaigns, maps or units in the games coming out lately; and this willingness on the part of the editors to split the campaigns in the form of DLCs and to sell them to us is surely not unrelated to this.
Operation Citadel comes with every imaginable editors (scenarios, campaigns, maps, units, nations, and even a landscape tile editor), and it's the only recent game I know of to offer so many.
Moreover, its designer has committed never to sell DLCs but to add them to the main game for free. Such a good spirit is really rare nowadays.

A good wargame can be modded

The strength of the wargamer community is their creativity and attention to detail. The history of computer wargame has always been accompanied by a large amount of enhancements and complementary contents created by modders that have helped to sublimate games such as Steel Panthers for example.
And that's where the real gem of Operation Citadel lies. This game is in fact a real toolbox that can be used to create all kinds of wargames based on its system (other conflicts, other eras, all fantasies are possible) or even retro-gaming board wargames (a bit like Tabletop Simulator, but with an AI). The system is completely open and its creator is willing and enthusiastic for all the players' projects. An incredible good spirit (I've already said it).
It's possible to mod all the graphics (and even add hand-drawn maps on top of the original one), to customize all the values that characterize the units, to create as many as you want... So many possibilities...

That's why I really fell in love with this game.
It might well be the game system that many of us wanted. All it would take is for the community to get a hold of it and start playing with its editors and producing contents so that one day it would become a standard like The Operational Art of War in its day, but simpler and more pretty... In my opinion.

< Message edited by maitrebongo -- 3/5/2021 9:56:01 PM >

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 37
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 10:41:08 AM   
Rodwonder

Bought in from the beginning... He updates furiously!

Post #: 38
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 11:12:25 AM   
valentin56610

Definitely not affiliated, I just discovered that this thread was still active haha.

Thank you very much @Simulacra53for everything you said about the game :)

Read you were playing on iPad, today 3.0.2 should be coming to iOS, watch out for this patch its really a must that fixes performance issues.
After that, you should be good to play for hours without bugs !

Have you tried multiplayer or is it not your thing ?

I agree about what you said about " it is not the deepest and most accurate experience", the game definitely isn't WiTE ;)

Developper of : Hex of Steel

Post #: 39
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 11:15:35 AM   
valentin56610

I agree with you, to some extent you can apply the same mechanics, but there are things that you need in modern combat that you don't have in a WWII scenario / game engine.

Operation Citadel isn't really tactical though, but I don't know If this is what you had in mind.

Post #: 40
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 11:20:53 AM   
valentin56610

I actually made some shorter scenarios, but they are not historical. Have a look on the workshop in the maps section, all maps called "multiplayer" are max 30 x 30 and were made for this purpose (quicker games than the entire Op. Barbarossa).

I get what you mean, it kinda breaks the immersion maybe to have to cut it in 2 sessions. Campaign scenarios are meant to be playable in one shot though. Like 2h or so.
For the Europe or other size maps, yeah don't expect less than 20h hahaha.

With this game though I wanted to go AGAINST the other games that have really short scenarios that I find frustrating personally, so, that's a personal decision I took :)

You can always make your own maps with the in game editor and share them with everyone else that would potentially be interested in shorter scenarios ;)

(in reply to AndySfromVA)
Post #: 41
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 11:24:47 AM   
benpark

I'll echo the praise for this game- especially given the small team. The latest patch with the new counters is excellent.

There is a great company-sized game mod/expansion in there somewhere. It's the neglected scale, it seems.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to valentin56610)
Post #: 42
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 1:33:42 PM   
Twotribes

I am stuck with this lap top which doesn't have a lot of memory keep having to delete one of my current games to load a new one.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 43
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 1:36:52 PM   
valentin56610

Game is 660MB big, save files are < 1 Mb for campaign scenarios, as for RAM usage it is around 350 MB for campaign scenarios.
You should be fine with anything you have :)

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 44
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 1:46:10 PM   
zakblood

your game is one of the best i've bought and played this year, easy to learn, loads to do, works well, looks good and doesn't need a heavy pc to play on, stable and more than worth the asking price,. thanks for the war game

no one can every have too many and worth adding to anyone's collection in my honest opinion

Post #: 45
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 2:32:51 PM   
Simulacra53

Hi Valentin,
Thanks for the notification, the update is stunning - pretty amazing how well it performs on my 2018 iPad (A1893), which wasn’t even top tier when released.
I normally play on PC, but Operation Citadel is running so nicely on my tablet that it is a joy to play.

Will certainly try MP later.

Post #: 46
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/6/2021 3:47:03 PM   
valentin56610

Haha, now it should be stable yes ! It wasn't always (hence the 215 updates), but now we're getting close to something really stable ! :)

Should be even better once you get 3.0.2 (still in review), it will finish the patch for performance issue when there are a lot of units on the map.n
I managed to reduce a lot the hardware requirements by simplifying the code and doing some optimization.
I remember the old days when you needed > 1GB RAM to run a small scenario ... ahh :))

I'm hosting a bunch of games right now, you can join if you wish (or anyone else actually).

Post #: 47
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/8/2021 9:16:21 PM   
MrsWargamer

I took the plunge, bought the game.

It has a very good demo, so there is NO reason to wonder if you might like it.
I started up a 1942 desert game, watched it play all 3 sides as AI. There's nothing overtly troublesome about the game aside from daily turns, so be ready to be inside this game the same as you might one of Gary's titles.

This game seems to offer all the wish lists. The developer has even stated he doesn't desire to do DLC, so it is going to be fairly complete.
The usual editor needs, solo, hotseat, online.
It appears to allow more than 2 person.

This young designer might just have the next great game. Steel Panthers was nothing much in the beginning, and look where it went.

Considering it has a demo, and the game is sold as a mere 17 bucks, this might be the most useful way to use a 20 dollar bill this year.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Post #: 48
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/12/2021 9:46:42 AM   
eastwindrain

The manual with the game is a bit sparse, however I stumbled upon a better version on-line which I could'nt download.
So my question is where do I find the game manual.

Post #: 49
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/12/2021 1:01:53 PM   
valentin56610

Manual is pretty old I agree. I need to update it but I currently don't have time to do so.
Link to it : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2155653357

(in reply to eastwindrain)
Post #: 50
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/12/2021 6:38:52 PM   
eastwindrain

Thanks for your quick response, I want to download the latest manual to start learning the game.
How exactly can I download from the link provided.

Post #: 51
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/12/2021 6:41:00 PM   
valentin56610

You can't, I didn't make any physical / PDF version.
It's online.
Something else I can propose you is this video I made : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rX_g7pfZo&t=221s
It's also outdated but, most of the game mechanics still are the same.

(in reply to eastwindrain)
Post #: 52
RE: New game - Operation Citadel - 3/21/2021 6:47:30 AM   
Simulacra53

The designer has decided to change the name and pricing.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1240630/view/3061857423720005510

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: New game - Operation Citadel Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI