Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply Question - 3/7/2021 2:02:40 AM   
Thayne

I am wondering if you folks would be so kind as to let me know if I am understanding supply correctly.

Assume that I have three bases: A, B, and C.

Each has a supply requirement of 1000 supply points.

Also, assume that the supply shipment value form A to B is 75 points, from B to C is 30 points, and from A to C is 105 points.

Twice per week, B will conduct an inventory and, if it has less than 3000 supply points, it is going to send a requisition to A to bring its inventory up to standards (3x its base supply).

Base A will not honor the requisition unless Base A has more than 3000 supply points.

The only way for A to have more than 3000 supply points is if (1) a ship haas dropped off supply during the turn, (b) an airplane has dropped of supplies during the turn, (3) the base has light industry, heavy industry, or refinery plants and enough resources/fuel/oil to run them, (4) the base has one of them magical replicator devices that magically constructs supply out of thin air, or (5) the base is the biggest, baddest base in all the land and it sucks the extra up from all the other bases.

There are no land units that will pick up supply at A and carry it to B or C. And the overland automatic supply system never ships in excess of the 3x base requirement except to the biggest, baddest base in the land.

Once per week, Base C will try to requisition supplies from B. However, if none of the five things above ever happen at B, then B will never have a surplus. This is because B will never requisition a surplus of supplies from A. C will never try to requisition supplies from A because it is just too darned far away.

So, if I want to get supply to Base C, dropping off massive amounts of supply at A will not accomplish this. A will feed B, but not C, and it will not feed B enough for B to feed C. I must do something to get supply from A to C, either to push supply to B above the 3x threshold, or to push supply to C directly.

If there is a ground unit on the next to C, it can requisition supplies from B once per week. But that same unit inside of C would only be able to requisition supplies from C.

Is this correct?

< Message edited by Thayne -- 3/7/2021 2:03:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 8:39:38 AM   
Ambassador

To move supply overland, you can use the supply requirements (« supply spinners »). You increase supply requirements to the max on B, once filled with 3x you reduce the requirements, and increase them in base C.

Off course, you do need to drop lots of supplies in A by ship.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 9:04:56 AM   
Ian R

quote:

Off course, you do need to drop lots of supplies in A by ship.

Which will obviate the need to bugger around with supply spinners.

The exe pull system works just fine if you shunt in supplies to the hub base.

I never ceased to be amazed at the rods people fashion for their own backs in this game.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 11:12:36 AM   
Thayne

Ian:

You arrogantly and condescendingly asserted that if one dumps excess supply in A, that some of it will reach C without any effort on the part of the player.

How?

C will not draw supply from A because it is too far away.

C will not draw supply from B unless B has more than 3x its base requirement. However, B will not draw more than 3x its base requirement from A, so B will never have a surplus to get to C.

The units in C will not draw supply from B because units in a base only draw supply from the base they are in.

So, how does the supply one dumps in A get to those units in C?

Ambassador:

Thank you kindly for your suggestion.

I can register that B has more than 3x its base supply by using the supply spinner to draw up the amount of supply in B. Then, on the day that C requisitions supply from B, reduce the spinner on that day so that it registers as having more than 3x its base need.

Is there a way to determine on which day of the week C will requisition supplies from B so that I can choose when to reduce the spinner? Is it the same day for all bases on a 1/week schedule? Is it always on the same day (e.g., always on a Thursday)?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 12:38:17 PM   
Ambassador

In your example, I just noticed your value for A to C is probably wrong. If they’re in a line, it’s probably 5, not 105.

I never examined whether it’s the same day everywhere, I usually just check the bases, and change the spinners once enough supply has moved.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 12:53:04 PM   
Thayne

Aye, you are right, I made a mistake with the math.

My intention was to indicate that Base C was too far away from Base A to draw supplies from that base. So, let us assume, that it is "75" from Base A to B and "20" from Base B to C so that it is "-5" from A to C.

So, your plan is to increase supply at B using the spinner. Then reduce the spinner and, over the course of the next several days as the amount of supply at B drops, hope that one of those days is the day that C requisitions supplies. Then, I assume, once bottomed out again, raise the supply requirement, then lower it again once it has topped out.

Is that the gist of it?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply Question - 3/7/2021 4:33:28 PM   
Ambassador

That’s it. It requires some practice off course, to master that skill, but it’s the gist of it. You may also use the Stockpile option, to make sure the base you’re trying to bring supply to won’t let it go away.

Otherwise, supply naturally accumulates to the connected base with the highest combined Port & Airfield values. And Command HQs will draw some more supply.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI