Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/24/2020 2:18:18 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nowi Ribak

F+uck me the setup takes so long, I started yesterday afternoon and am not yet finished (~70%).

@Kull
Just started a campaign & your spreadsheet is a godsend. Thank you very, very, very much for your detailled work and the many hours you surely put in to create this document.
Best regards to the US!

It's painful, for sure. But the good news is that - through repetition - you are learning things that would otherwise take a VERY long time to "sink in". Also, once this is done all the big plans are in motion and there's less to do on turns 3+ (at least for a while).

This game isn't for everyone, but if you are one of the chosen few that loves and depth and yet more depth, well, welcome to the "game of your life". Literally.

(in reply to Nowi Ribak)
Post #: 301
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/24/2020 5:38:37 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

the setup takes so long, I started yesterday afternoon and am not yet finished (~70%).

As IJ the first turn can easily take me a week.

That is because of nap times and times, you old Geezer!

Yeah, so.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 302
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 8/24/2020 4:55:57 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

the setup takes so long, I started yesterday afternoon and am not yet finished (~70%).

As IJ the first turn can easily take me a week.

That is because of nap times and times, you old Geezer!

Yeah, so.

Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy life.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 303
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/15/2020 7:30:57 PM   
NiclasCage

Quick question about column AC (or U) in your beautiful spreadsheet. I don't understand the numbers for LCUs here (Base Load). They don't match the numbers in my game. Or I'm being stupid again. I'm doing that quite a bit since I started with this game.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 304
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/15/2020 8:14:39 PM   
Kull

LOL, I'm not too sure about that either! It's a field from Tracker, and I *think* it's supposed to be the stacking cost, since there's a rough parallel with those values. But yeah, at least looking at the Alaska LCU numbers, it doesn't seem to match any of them.

The good news is, that's apparently one of the more useless fields in the spreadsheet, since in 10+ years you're the first person to notice the issue!

(in reply to NiclasCage)
Post #: 305
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/15/2020 9:10:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

LOL, I'm not too sure about that either! It's a field from Tracker, and I *think* it's supposed to be the stacking cost, since there's a rough parallel with those values. But yeah, at least looking at the Alaska LCU numbers, it doesn't seem to match any of them.

The good news is, that's apparently one of the more useless fields in the spreadsheet, since in 10+ years you're the first person to notice the issue!

I think Base Load might be the all up load for troops + equipment, used when you load onto a ship or aircraft. It's a starting point figure, modified by the extra allocation of space required for guns and vehicles and perhaps radars.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 306
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/15/2020 9:24:02 PM   
RangerJoe

Possibly the minimum supplies needed as well for an amphibious movement.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 307
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/16/2020 6:49:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Possibly the minimum supplies needed as well for an amphibious movement.

Right, when LCUs board ship their supplies are shifted from the LCU to the ship. I think you showed me that RJ.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 308
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 12/19/2020 8:15:03 AM   
DesertWolf101

This spreadsheet was incredibly helpful to me when I first started playing a year ago. A great way to pick up the basic mechanics and feel for the game, interface, and orders. Highly recommend it for new beginners.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 309
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/6/2021 10:04:35 AM   
adrians69

WOW! This is truly amazing work! I am a new player and was struggling with some of the decisions about setup. this has solved all my problems. Thanks so much

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 310
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/26/2021 10:31:44 PM   
LarryP

My gosh, I thought I had my brain full BEFORE I found this spreadsheet link today. Looks like the remainder of my gaming life is now busy. Any newbie advice is very much appreciated. I'm on turn 1 in the full campaign.

(in reply to adrians69)
Post #: 311
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/26/2021 10:53:43 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

My gosh, I thought I had my brain full BEFORE I found this spreadsheet link today. Looks like the remainder of my gaming life is now busy. Any newbie advice is very much appreciated. I'm on turn 1 in the full campaign.

Welcome.

Have you already tried the Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios ? Those are easier to learn the game. Scenario #1 is not meant to be the first one played by any new player...

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 312
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/26/2021 11:35:31 PM   
RangerJoe

There is a lot of advice over here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

So if you have questions, you could probably find the answers there.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 313
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 12:02:22 AM   
LarryP

I was in a hurry and did not explain myself very well. I bought this game when it came out in 2009 and have dabbled in it off and on. I have played Coral Sea several times. What I meant was that any advice for using this spreadsheet is very much appreciated. I am reading the advice in the spreadsheet but I don't have a plan of attack in my head yet and all my ideas are to go line by line and very slow.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 314
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 12:45:13 AM   
LarryP

quote:

There is a lot of advice over here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

So if you have questions, you could probably find the answers there.

I've been there many times. Even the THREAD!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 315
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 5:01:25 PM   
Kull

quote:

I was in a hurry and did not explain myself very well. I bought this game when it came out in 2009 and have dabbled in it off and on. I have played Coral Sea several times. What I meant was that any advice for using this spreadsheet is very much appreciated. I am reading the advice in the spreadsheet but I don't have a plan of attack in my head yet and all my ideas are to go line by line and very slow.

Good plan. The idea is mainly for you to learn how everything works together. The overall strategy is generic enough that it will let you branch off in any of 1000 other directions, once you have the basics worked out.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 316
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 5:07:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

Good plan. The idea is mainly for you to learn how everything works together. The overall strategy is generic enough that it will let you branch off in any of 1000 other directions, once you have the basics worked out.

Only 1000?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 317
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 5:37:42 PM   
LarryP

Gulp...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 318
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 5:49:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Gulp...

That is why it is so hard on the Japanese to defend. There are usually enough ground and air units that the Allies can attack in India/Burma on the ground while the Navies can be every else plus India/Burma. What got me interested in the game was when Greyjoy invaded Hokkaido in 1944!

That is also why so many Japanese players try to take out China. Too many Allied players don't like that theatre and may not provide enough aid and comfort there early on.

― Julia Child

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 319
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 6:59:13 PM   
LarryP

After reading and experimenting a lot, my opinion of this spreadsheet is WOW and AMAZING! You spent how many hours creating this to the point it is currently at?

It seems to me that after creating a save game for turns 2 and 3 with all of these pending items created and set, a person could sell this for a good price. Might be a few spouses that would purchase this save game to gain their mate back.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/27/2021 7:05:55 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 320
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 7:05:31 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Gulp...

That is why it is so hard on the Japanese to defend. There are usually enough ground and air units that the Allies can attack in India/Burma on the ground while the Navies can be every else plus India/Burma. What got me interested in the game was when Greyjoy invaded Hokkaido in 1944!

Well, if the Japanese player proves cocky and empties the Home Islands...

Seriously, people underestimate or overestimate some distances. Some places are really much closer than many people think, and if the Japanese player doesn’t take the measure of the strategic depth he loses by refraining from attacking certain places (like the Aleutians, with Adak and its 8(5) Port), so be it.

quote:

That is also why so many Japanese players try to take out China. Too many Allied players don't like that theatre and may not provide enough aid and comfort there early on.

And too many of them hurry to send the corps that may be bought to Burma/India.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 321
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 8:20:16 PM   
Kull

quote:

After reading and experimenting a lot, my opinion of this spreadsheet is WOW and AMAZING! You spent how many hours creating this to the point it is currently at?

It seems to me that after creating a save game for turns 2 and 3 with all of these pending items created and set, a person could sell this for a good price. Might be a few spouses that would purchase this save game to gain their mate back.

Quite a few folks have suggested that, but in all honesty, there are some real pro-players out there (check out the PBEM forum) who could provide a much better starting set-up. But the idea here is "learning by doing". The strategy is nothing to write home about, but after going through all these steps, you will KNOW how to do things. If I gave you a save-game with the Turn-2 moves all completed, it would just shift your learning curve over to Turn 3!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 322
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/27/2021 8:51:20 PM   
LarryP

Yes, I thought of that (not learning), but I was just kidding mostly. If a player does do these entries, they are serious about learning and enjoying this game. Nothing comes from easy as much as when it is hard. I tried to teach my son that while growing up, now my grandkids, and now me-again. Thank you for all the work you put into this spreadsheet. It's mind numbing, every time I see the 4653 entries, I think of mostly one thing. Lots of nights and maybe days dedicated to this and not doing other things that may be quite important. Thanks again!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/27/2021 8:53:59 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 323
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/28/2021 2:17:49 AM   
Kull

quote:

What I meant was that any advice for using this spreadsheet is very much appreciated.

I missed this part of your comment. The "Getting Started" tab is a good place to start, especially "Section V". In particular, filtering by region lets you work through it in "bite size chunks", so it's a tad less daunting. Also, be SURE to mark a cell in each row as you complete it - nothing worse than having to leave it (for something like, oh, sleep) and then forgetting where you were.

To that point, go to column "M" on the "Allies Setup" tab and filter on the words "No action" (just those two words, not the ones that have additional commentary). The count of rows will drop from 4653 to 1569. Now highlight every cell in column "B" and change the color to some shade of green. Voila - you just completed 1/3 of the spreadsheet and have visual proof! It might sound odd, but it is kind of a relief to arrive in each region and immediately see that a lot of those rows don't require you to do anything!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 324
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 1/28/2021 2:39:09 AM   
LarryP

Excellent advice! This is what I was looking for, I will do this tomorrow, sleep is calling me now.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 325
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/8/2021 8:25:40 PM   
VonWulfen

Hi all.
Does anyone have a save file with all the Allied spreadsheets data already added for the Dec 8 full campaign?
I am slowly going through it but I can already see it is going to take hours and hours to add it all.

< Message edited by VonWulfen -- 3/8/2021 8:30:48 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 326
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/8/2021 8:29:47 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonWulfen

Hi all.
Does anyone have a save file with all the spreadsheets data already added for the Dec 8 full campaign?
I am slowly going through it but I can already see it is going to take hours and hours to add it all.

Your first turn should take some time. There's a lot to do....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 327
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/8/2021 9:09:53 PM   
RangerJoe

If you do it yourself, that is the best way to learn. However, once you have done the turn you can save it and use it as many different times that you want to without having to reenter the orders.

― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 328
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/9/2021 12:58:13 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

If you do it yourself, that is the best way to learn. However, once you have done the turn you can save it and use it as many different times that you want to without having to reenter the orders.

The only downside is that the random AI choices and initial battle results (i.e., did Prince of Wales and Repulse survive?) are locked to the save. Which is fine... you just have to be happy with the Dec 8th A.M. status situation as your starting point, good, bad or mediocre.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 329
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 3/9/2021 1:08:53 PM   
Moltrey

Kull:
I wanted to show you a small Mod I put together on your exemplary Setup spreadsheet.

It adds a couple pieces of logistical info explained below from another thread.

I modified Kull's AE Allied Setup Spreadsheet last fall by adding my own cargo ship minimum port size in column K and a designation for what I call "Dual Cargo" ships (both supply and fuel capacity) in column G.
Here is a pic of the Tjilatjap, Java portion of it:

First, in column G you can see in the heading "Cargo: Supply & Fuel" and all I have done is use the common color of creme to highlight the Unit Model/Type data, such as Euro L Cargo, etc. You can quickly see that both of the Euro L Cargo ships in Tjilatjap, Java need a port of size 2 minimum to dock for loading and unloading.

Second, in column K, denoted by the creme color, where "n" is the size port+ the ship can be docked. This helps me quickly scan the spreadsheet page and determine which ships are best suited for certain jobs during my setup phase.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI