Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

on the subject of hidden fleets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> on the subject of hidden fleets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/19/2021 2:59:18 PM   
gravyhair

Yo fellas - in the interests of realism, I think its important for WPP to go easy on the hidden fleets thing. Due to the demands of fueling, maintenance, port calls, radio communication, merchant traffic, fishing trawlers, and a million other things, fleets were rarely "hidden" in the strategic sense. Tactically? Yes. But the USN knew there were IJN BB's and CA's and CV's at Truk, e.g., and the IJN knew there were USN CV's in theater at Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, etc. IMHO, the game should not permit sudden and total surprise strategically. The IJN knew the USN was coming to fight at Midway - they just assumed two CV's instead of 3. You get the idea.

Wise Men Still Seek Him
Post #: 1
RE: on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/19/2021 9:48:00 PM   
ncc1701e

Yes but as you said, tactically, fleets were difficult to find.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 2
RE: on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/19/2021 10:58:21 PM   
smallie1

Just got done with Midway in Fading Victory (Ugaki's diary). Did the IJN know there were two carriers coming to fight?

(in reply to gravyhair)
Post #: 3
RE: on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/21/2021 4:37:11 PM   
AlvaroSousa

You have detection levels and COMINT to find the enemy. WarPlan is a game of incomplete information that allows for deception. Hidden fleets will mostly come in the form of not knowing what strategic location fleets will be committed to. Using COMINT might reveal that. You will see an incoming fleet 9 hexes away

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to smallie1)
Post #: 4
RE: on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/22/2021 10:30:13 PM   
canuckgamer

I have read a number of books on Midway such as Shattered Sword and most recently Ian Toll's trilogy on the Pacific War and the Japanese didn't have a clue that there were American carriers to the north east of Midway waiting in ambush.

Sounds like a significant change as to how it works in War Plan.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 5
RE: on the subject of hidden fleets - 3/24/2021 11:06:18 AM   
CV60

I disagree with the contention that fleets were rarely "hidden" in the strategic sense. The Doolittle Raid is an excellent example of the Japanese having no idea where 2 US carriers were until it was too late. Similarly, the Pearl Harbor raid demonstrated how, even when you can read some of the other side's codes, you can still lose entire fleets, especially in WWII. A "Fog of War" consisting of contradictory information, bad assumptions and (in some cases) personality conflicts veils the snippets of accurate information you may have. This was especially true in WWII.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> on the subject of hidden fleets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI