Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach destination

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach destination Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach destin... - 3/22/2021 9:59:26 PM   
VonWulfen

Hello all.
After giving all but 1 invasion unit their move and "naval transport" orders, I have one HQ unit that can't quite reach its staging post (see image).
I see if I choose the "Amphibious transport mode" it is able to move further and join the landing queue.
Does it matter if the unit is just a hex or so away from the main force?
Can I just move it into position once my initial force has started landing?
Or do I need to use the "Amphibious transport mode"?
Cheers.
Edit: (solved) It seems this unit could move a second time and get into position.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by VonWulfen -- 3/22/2021 11:19:25 PM >

‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin
Post #: 1
RE: Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach de... - 3/23/2021 5:44:51 PM   
cfulbright

Here is my personal advice for you. I know the tutorial says that you should naval move the corps HQ's and follow-up divisions off the invasion beaches, but I believe this is bad advice. If you park them off the invasion beaches, they're subject to naval interdiction and attrition. It's better to naval load them but move them to Pantelleria, Valletta, Tunis, and Bizerte, then move them to the invasion beaches in turn 2. That means you incur the movement costs of naval loading and most of the sailing, but avoid the exposure.

I ran five tests of the second wave units safe in those ports, and five where they were off the invasion beaches. The average Allied losses after the German turn were as follows:

In-Port
Men 29,975
Guns 73
AFV 9

At-Sea
Men 32,429
Guns 109
AFV 19

This was without loading the 2nd US Armored Division or the two army HQ's with their assigned support units, which would have led to even higher losses at-sea. As you can see, the Guns and AFV are most vulnerable.

Cary

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach de... - 3/23/2021 6:26:30 PM   
VonWulfen

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

Here is my personal advice for you. I know the tutorial says that you should naval move the corps HQ's and follow-up divisions off the invasion beaches, but I believe this is bad advice. If you park them off the invasion beaches, they're subject to naval interdiction and attrition. It's better to naval load them but move them to Pantelleria, Valletta, Tunis, and Bizerte, then move them to the invasion beaches in turn 2. That means you incur the movement costs of naval loading and most of the sailing, but avoid the exposure.

I ran five tests of the second wave units safe in those ports, and five where they were off the invasion beaches. The average Allied losses after the German turn were as follows:

In-Port
Men 29,975
Guns 73
AFV 9

At-Sea
Men 32,429
Guns 109
AFV 19

This was without loading the 2nd US Armored Division or the two army HQ's with their assigned support units, which would have led to even higher losses at-sea. As you can see, the Guns and AFV are most vulnerable.

Cary

Many thanks for the feedback.
I will implement it next time I run this scenario.

‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 3
RE: Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach de... - 3/23/2021 8:15:50 PM   
kaliyama

I believe that means that you are about to enter higher naval interdiction territory - view in interdiction mode to see if that's the case

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Allies: Operation Husky: HQ unit unable to reach destination Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI