Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/25/2021 2:23:19 PM   
devictimizer

I was wondering how my fellow players make use of Afrika Corps? Do you:
1. Send it to North Africa (historical);
2. Use it against the Soviets;
3. Don't form it and use the MPP how you see fit;
4. Other (do share)

I personally prefer sending it to fight the Soviets, it's an extra Panzergruppe that can do big damage. I see North Africa as a secondary theater that isn't as important as the Eastern Front, but I could be missing something. Anyways, would love to hear your opinion on the subject!
Post #: 1
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/25/2021 4:29:26 PM   
calcwerc

If Germany engages itself in Africa, most players send 2 tanks and some infantry units there before the Africa Corps arrives in the autumn of 40. And all units from Africa corps go to the eastern front.

(in reply to devictimizer)
Post #: 2
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/25/2021 5:11:05 PM   
HamburgerMeat

Most players send them to the eastern front.

You should always form them. They're extremely cheap for what you get. Saying no to forming them is probably the second biggest mistake one could make in terms of strategic decisions, topped only by refusing to transfer industry to the Urals as the USSR

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 3
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/25/2021 11:39:21 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

ORIGINAL: devictimizer
I personally prefer sending it to fight the Soviets, it's an extra Panzergruppe that can do big damage. I see North Africa as a secondary theater that isn't as important as the Eastern Front, but I could be missing something. Anyways, would love to hear your opinion on the subject!

All that Mideast oil beckons. A major investment & push down there can pay huge dividends. It also helps keep the Med an Axis lake, and thus the Italians in the war longer. [Perhaps solidified by a move against Gibraltar]

Post #: 4
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/25/2021 11:49:40 PM   
Shilka

It kinda depends on the war situation I think. Are axis still stuck in Greece, or Yugoslavia? Those would have priority to clear out imo. Has the British fleet been defeated in the Med or dominating it? If Libya and, even if IEA looks like one or the other won't hold for too long anyway, i.e. situation imminently hopeless, I wouldn't throw good money after bad.

If axis somehow manage to get Turkey to join or decide to attack there they can be sent through there instead as well.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 5
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/26/2021 1:10:31 AM   
smckechnie

Per Hamburgermeats comments, you always form the Afrika Corps.

If the axis conduct successful Sea Lion, probably do holding action in N. Africa, as the axis will be stretched for units. In this case, send all of the Africa Corps to Russia.

If no Sea Lion, axis should try to put some pressure on the British somewhere, hence send forces to N. Africa, take Egypt and Iraq. Big case can be made for this move, as resources in Iraq and Persia are as much or more than the Russian Caucuses. Axis can also take Saudi Arabian oil field. Note, that most of the time, with great axis play, Germans have already sent force to North Africa, so most or all of Afrika Corps goes to Russia.

The other strategic way to play it is to just send all units to Russia and nothing really to North Africa. Play here is to knock Russia out of the war before British can do anything on the Western Front. I think this is too risky against great players.

I recommend not sending the German field gun to Africa no matter what, much more useful to use that unit in Russia, same with the recon unit.

Anti-tank gun is really good to send to NA to use in a holding action. Not sure why, but holds up well against infantry there too for some reason.

Other strategic move on this, is to have the Japs attack India and link up with axis fleets in the Indian Ocean. This is especially helpful to axis if the allies move all of the Pacific carriers to the Atlantic.

(in reply to Shilka)
Post #: 6
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/26/2021 7:05:52 AM   
devictimizer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

All that Mideast oil beckons. A major investment & push down there can pay huge dividends. It also helps keep the Med an Axis lake, and thus the Italians in the war longer. [Perhaps solidified by a move against Gibraltar]

Yes but you can go for the Mideast through Georgia and Azerbaijan. Otherwise I agree that it helps keeping the Allies busy and delays a potential invasion of Southern Europe. How would you go about transporting troops to Africa if the Allied player sends a considerable portion of his navy there?

< Message edited by devictimizer -- 3/26/2021 7:06:39 AM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 7
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/28/2021 2:07:34 AM   
Sovyetsky

Just scout ahead with a sub or disposable ship before transporting troops. It's not that hard.

Post #: 8
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/28/2021 10:04:26 AM   
IIo4Tu

About the need to capture North Africa.
For example, the well-known Fafnir seems to consider this area a high priority. In the current game, he threw a huge force against me in Egypt, consisting of 2 tanks, 5 bombers, 4 fighters, 2 strategic bombers, plus a paratrooper and a corps. For this reason, he postponed Barbarosa until August.

(in reply to Sovyetsky)
Post #: 9
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/28/2021 7:07:15 PM   
pjg100

quote:

ORIGINAL: IIo4Tu

About the need to capture North Africa.
For example, the well-known Fafnir seems to consider this area a high priority. In the current game, he threw a huge force against me in Egypt, consisting of 2 tanks, 5 bombers, 4 fighters, 2 strategic bombers, plus a paratrooper and a corps. For this reason, he postponed Barbarosa until August.

What happened?

(in reply to IIo4Tu)
Post #: 10
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/28/2021 8:21:07 PM   
IIo4Tu

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjg100

What happened?

I just escaped to India with the remnants of the British troops from Iraq. He finishes clearing the Middle East, has captured the Saudis, most likely he will go through Persia to the Caucasus. In Russia, there is a big battle in the Rostov-Stalingrad-Voronezh area, apparently the main blow is directed here, since not too large forces are moving towards Moscow.
After all, North Africa gives more strategic initiative than just going head-on to Russia.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 11
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/28/2021 9:24:43 PM   
Cpuncher

If you are playing against a top player, going to Egypt can be very risky. One wrong move, say you have your front supply HQ exposed to multiple bomber attacks, or 1 of your damaged tanks exposed to his AT attack, then your campaign there can take forever to progress. Sure UK will get hurt badly, but you have a critical portion of your forces that is not applying pressure to Russia directly, and you have to open your Barbarossa a bit late, that is a recipe for a Russian stalemate, and the end of the Axis game.

Basically, if you are playing against a player who has a good chance to beat you, then going to Egypt will probably make it worse. Concentrate everything on Russia will be a better bet there. You can lose Italy and still win the game easily, if you win Russia. Italy is a side show, just like China.

(in reply to IIo4Tu)
Post #: 12
RE: Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps - 3/29/2021 3:54:56 AM   
havoc1371

As soon as France is defeated, send a panzer, an army, a HQ, and 1 or 2 corps to ports in Italy. Move Mdm's within range to strike. If you have time reinforce and upgrade them. Move your airborne to the toe and boot heel of Italy, where one can reach Malta, and the other two can reach into Greece. Transport the Armor, 1 corps, and army into Albania. When Italy declares war on Greece (event option) in October, blitz through the Greeks in the South and drop your para's; one to assist with Athens, one to seize the southern most port to prevent Allied interference. Bring in the HQ and 2nd corps by transport. Athens will fall by the second turn usually. Now you can either use these troops to transport to Libya, or the AK arriving in Italy requiring build up. Whichever you don't use can then move into position for Yugoslavia.

(in reply to Cpuncher)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Discussion: How to best utilize Afrika Corps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI