Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Encircle or Destroy strategy question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Encircle or Destroy strategy question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Encircle or Destroy strategy question. - 3/27/2021 10:26:48 PM   
VonWulfen

Hello all.
I have been playing the Road to Minsk scenario as Axis in order to learn the game.
I have completed it once and had a great success and lots of fun.
On my first game it was not difficult to break through the line and release my panzer divisions for their charge to Minsk.
But instead of encircling the enemy in the pocket I proceeded to destroy them.
Again this was achieved without any problems.
In Road to Minsk this is not really a problem but in the full campaign would encirclement be more appropriate
It would save on not just troops but on supplies, planes etc.

Attachment (1)

‘Be so good as to call me an elephant,’
Stephen Maturin
Post #: 1
RE: Encircle or Destroy strategy question. - 3/27/2021 11:37:37 PM   
juv95hrn

As far as I have gathered from no game play, but some replay and reading, in WITE 2 you can do a little bit of both, whereas in WITE1 encirclement was the (only) name of the game. A bit too easy to do, and a bit to efficient with encirclements in WITE1, so I am really looking forward to exploring the options in WITE2 now.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: Encircle or Destroy strategy question. - 3/28/2021 12:30:25 AM   
ObeseMonkey

I’m by no means an expert, but from what I’ve played so far (only on turn 3 of 41 scenario), the combat delay can make destroying pockets much slower. It could be I’m just not used to the system yet (and I’m not the best of players), but it certainly feels like pockets I could of destroyed in a single turn on WIET1 I can’t quite do here.
So I’d say encirclements are still very useful, but they do have some cons (delays).. Of course i think it’s still best for AGC to encircle. Partly cause it’s relatively easy. I managed to secure Minsk and encircle the bulk of forces in turn 1. Doing so not only lowers your own casualties but it ensures destruction of soviet forces, rather than them routing.

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 3
RE: Encircle or Destroy strategy question. - 3/28/2021 1:24:58 AM   
carlkay58

Pocketing is best but, once the line has stabilized some, you can get some good casualty results with Deliberate Attacks by infantry at good spots of the line. One thing that has been changed is that Deliberate Attacks vs poor morale (i.e. < 55 which is about all of the Soviets until 43) cause increased Retreat Losses. This can make a big difference in the loss ratio for the game.

(in reply to ObeseMonkey)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Encircle or Destroy strategy question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI