Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Screen resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Screen resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Screen resolution - 3/26/2021 1:52:10 PM   
Numdydar

My eyes not being what they used to be, I find that the lowest zoom level is not good enough for me to see the information without serious eyestrain.

I was shocked that there is no way to change the resolution within the game. My desktop resolution is 2560x1600 which is great for almost everything else.

To be able to see the game at the resolution I need to play, I had to change my desktop resolution down to 1280x1024.

Really? At this stage of computer development, I have to change my desktop resolution (which screws up all my other apps I have open) to play the game to my liking. And then have to change it back again when I am done with the game so everything else goes back to their normal views?

Is there some reason that changing the screen resolution in game is not possible? You could also allow the zoom to allow a closer view (which I am sure would be a lot harder to implement).

Just wondering if you had any playtesters that were a lot older? Like 70+? As I would think they might have pointed out the same issues with the game. Or if you did have playtesters that were older, their eyes were better than mine lol.
Post #: 1
RE: Screen resolution - 3/26/2021 5:43:05 PM   
angelsdodgers

For what it's worth, I have the same eyesight problem. So my system runs at 3840x2160 and I set the display scale to 250%. Using the suggested settings in the "If the game crashes on launch PLEASE READ THIS" forum, the game seems to run fine; though I am only on turn 2!

So it would be interesting to see if you can use their settings and at least scale the display.

Good luck!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Screen resolution - 3/26/2021 8:51:51 PM   
Flor1976

1. Go to your installation folder.
2. Select the WarintheEast2 application.
3. Right click on it and choose Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab
4. If you have Administrator privileges, click the Change settings for all users button to make changes to the scaling for all users of the computer. If not, skip to the next step;
5. Click Change high DPI settings.
6. then click OK.

This fixed it for me

< Message edited by Flor1976 -- 3/26/2021 8:58:39 PM >

(in reply to angelsdodgers)
Post #: 3
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 3:02:40 AM   
theWombat

My issue is similar. I run at 1440p, 2560x1440. The text in game is nigh-on unreadable. It's blurry, and the fonts do not scale well. As there is a ton of text that is important, this is a serious drawback. All the text in the unit boxes, menus, etc. is like this. None of the suggested fixes work, though I have not tried setting my display to a different resolution or scaled the text. Why should I have to? Over $70 for a game in 2021 and it wants 2000-era resolutions? I mean, I KNEW I should have waited until it was on Steam so I could get a refund.....

(in reply to Flor1976)
Post #: 4
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 4:36:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

We did have testers running in higher resolutions as well as DPI scaling and frankly thought the issue had been resolved during development. If you've already done what's in this thread below and it didn't solve the issue for you, then the only solution in the interim is to adjust your resolution down until we can find and fix the remaining issue(s) in an update. This is a high priority for us.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4987629

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 5
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 7:59:05 AM   
Numdydar

Here is what I am talking about if it helps any.

This is what the game looks like AFTER Using the Compatibility suggestion above. At my default resolution 2560x1600. Just a few more zoom levels would have been perfect. Or the ability to change the resolution in game versus using the desktop resolution.

I also realized that you wanted to maintain a color scheme for the USSR, but the white on a dark red background makes the text even harder for me to read. Why not use the Dark Brown? I think that would have been a better choice in order to read the text. Especially since EVERYTHING is using that red backdrop.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/27/2021 8:45:53 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 8:17:33 AM   
Numdydar

Deleted

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/27/2021 8:37:22 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 12:55:13 PM   
theWombat

Yeah, sorry to come off so combative, it was late. I sympathize with the task of rooting these things out. I've tried running it at different resolutions with no change, but I think I have to try different resolutions without the DPI scaling. Some combo will no doubt work.

EDIT: Well, maybe not. Have not found any combo that turns the text into something like pic in the post above. Windowed or not, no resolution or scaling combo seems to affect the text one bit. It stays resolutely the same, blurry and out of focus. Shame, really, because I was sort of in the mood for a game like this, but I'll have to wait I guess until someone figures it out.

< Message edited by theWombat -- 3/27/2021 3:14:02 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 3:47:07 PM   
Numdydar

It is interesting as I find the text in my screenshot above to be blurry and out of focus in the game as well. Maybe translating the screenshot into a jpeg did something to it.

But even in the picture above I find it hard to read the text so your in game text must be really bad if you think the text above is better lol. Or maybe you eyes are just better than mine

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 9
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 8:07:47 PM   
theWombat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

But even in the picture above I find it hard to read the text so your in game text must be really bad if you think the text above is better lol. Or maybe you eyes are just better than mine

My eyes are definitely not better than yours, I'm betting! The text on my monitor is worse than that shot, though I see what you mean about even that shot not being superb.

EDIT: I have now tried this on four monitors, one 1440p, two different 1080p, one 19" widescreen at its native resolution. Same exact issue. Spindly, blurry text that is very hard to read. I see other folks saying they don't have this issue, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's happening for one person and not the other. It appears like the text that is affected is just not scaling properly, if at all.

< Message edited by theWombat -- 3/28/2021 1:26:52 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 10
RE: Screen resolution - 3/27/2021 8:10:56 PM   
James80

Hey,

I have a similar problem. My screen resolution is WQHD. The text is smooth. But it is all too tiny. I have watched streams on YouTube where that wasn‘t the case. How can I get it bigger without changing all settings which effect my Windows Settings. The above solution advices have not helped me.

P.S.: I scaled the windows resoultion to 150 %. This is a working work-around. But it would be nice if I don't have to fiddle around every time I start the game

< Message edited by James80 -- 3/28/2021 6:05:21 AM >

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 11
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 1:58:11 AM   
theWombat

Well, maybe not a _solution_, but I can now actually read stuff. I changed some of the fonts the game uses, specifically I changed Tahoma to Calibri and Verdana to Ariel, and voila, the text actually looks like text and not chicken scratching. It is probably a workaround, but I'll take it. It might help the folks troubleshooting this perhaps. Note that to get it to work I had to change both the FontConfig (.txt) file and the GuiFonts (.JSON file).

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 12
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 6:21:28 AM   
Numdydar

Thanks for the suggestion and it does help clear up the text for me slightly.

But the real issues is that everything is too damn small foe me. Especially the text popups on the map.

So either additional zoom levels are needed (regardless of how hard it might be to do) or to adjust the resolution in the game so everyone can adjust the units and text sizes to whatever works best for them.

But at least using the hack above makes the tiny print a little easier to read so there is that

Oh and I did make backups of the original files before I made any changes

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/28/2021 6:22:56 AM >

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 13
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 2:48:10 PM   
theWombat

Yeah, it's definitely a hack. Which we should not have to do in 2021, but I'm sure the developers know that. I don't want to minimize the complexity and difficulty of making a beast like this for a PC market where configurations vary considerably. It isn't easy. But this is a problem for which there are already solutions, and it is very rare to have something like this happen outside of this one narrow niche of game development. High-res widescreen high refresh rate monitors are the new norm, and coding styles rooted in the CRT low-res era simply are not going to cut it.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 14
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 3:51:20 PM   
pauls2271

Yeah, I have a 38" monitor (3480x1600). My buddy has a 49" monitor...

The days of 14" monitors are long over.

The game would have been much better with a couple more zoom in levels...

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 15
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 4:25:17 PM   
Numdydar

Look at the paradox games. You can zoom down to see the uniform details lol. I realize that they are massively bigger than 2by3/Matrix so really cannot compare the two dev teams. But I would think that with all the modern development tools, fixing this (or doing it during development) should not be that difficult. But what do I know ?

But with all the playtesting and with all the beta testers, I find it hard to believe that a) no one had large monitors (and I feel like a baby with only a 31" monitor lol) with high DPI or b) no one said "Hey this text and zoom is not good enough. We should do something before release."

(in reply to pauls2271)
Post #: 16
RE: Screen resolution - 3/28/2021 5:30:04 PM   
theWombat

Thing is, it's text. No one is asking for ray-traced 3D graphics here. Actually, that would make it easier probably, because the tools for text and UI stuff in those types of applications are pretty robust. Hmm. Then again, most bigger games use third-party solutions for interface stuff anyhow, like Scaleform. Pretty sure that's either out of the budget here? Or maybe not a good fit for 2D stuff. The actual game art and design in this game is fine, attractive even. It's just the basic text that kind of does it in.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 17
RE: Screen resolution - 3/29/2021 5:10:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please give this new 4k/DPI Hotfix a try:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4991284

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to theWombat)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Screen resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI