Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First random game of |\|008

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> First random game of |\|008 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First random game of |\|008 - 3/29/2021 3:33:41 PM   
Kuokkanen

After reading half of the manual and parts of Strategy Guide and completing tutorial scenarios, I started my first random game. Normal size map, wet tropical, stone age, no roads, no wrap, 2 players. My reasoning with these settings was that tropical rain forest without roads would slow AI down for long enough for me to figure out how to play the game without detailed instructions (as in the tutorials). I suppose it worked out as intended.

The first screenshot below shows my starting location at the bottom-right of the map. Surrounded by jungles and paddies, I nevertheless got some resources and towns nearby. Engineers were my first choice in the city production. I put them immediately to work in building the roads in divisions of 60 each. I followed them up with groups of rifle infantry and cavalry, which I sent out to explore in groups of 10-13.

Attachment (1)

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 1
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/29/2021 4:12:59 PM   
Kuokkanen

I made first enemy contact in the resource location. I had only cavalry unit of 13 strong over there, so I bugged out and took my time to consider what to do about it. For the time being I focused on building up my forces and securing town Osju. Working on assumption that each sub-unit is company strong, I started to build up a fighting force. After consulting Wikipedia about different sized military units, I decided on with 4 companies (sub-units) in a battalion, 12 companies (3 battalions) in a regiment, and 4-6 regiments + HQ unit in a division. Coincidentally my existing cavalry units were already in regiment size, so I only needed to reinforce my infantry units, make few more of them, and then new HQ units nearby to provide HQP. My most common divisions have 3 infantry regiments, artillery battalion/regiment, and HQ unit. I placed some infantry in HQ unit for its self-defense so I don't need to use infantry regiment for that (also serves as a replacement pool for the regiments). Some divisions also have a cavalry regiment and/or recon regiment.

See how the stream circles around Osju? I recognized it a good natural defensive position and positioned one of my first divisions in there. Enemy started advancing bit earlier than I liked, but I managed to hold them off. I used engineer division to build fort for a good measure. As I got more divisions and started advance of my own, I placed garrison units in the town and fort. Infantry battalion + ATG battery each, HQ unit in town, and one howitzer battery in the fort. Resource location was troublesome. I hammered its defenders with two artillery regiments (12 Artillery sub-units + Horses/Trucks each), but I couldn't seem to make an attack across the stream. No other way than around it with infantry and cavalry while HQ units and engineer division stand by. I got around it, put defenders into motti, finished them off, and made a bridge over the stream. I considered about continuing the road just past the mine and over the hills. But then I got other engineer divisions building roads just short distance in the north, so I just made roads and bridges north to connect the roads, kick some enemies along the way, and then take the road bit more south between mountains and jungle.

[Edit]
Osju is now a new home to supply depot HQ which used to be slightly further away.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 3/29/2021 4:15:31 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/29/2021 4:39:23 PM   
Kuokkanen

Bottom-left of the map. I had build road around the corner to support a division on exploration. I was going to have them head straight to the north near the map edge. But there's enemy units in the way just behind a stream/river. Around them, north again, and then my division encountered more resistance. I had to abandon that idea for a while and get some reinforcements. Good thing I had another engineer division building another road. Then I located enemy capital just north of the screen. So I decided to connect the roads, and make way with 3 divisions from the south while rest of my army are pressing on from the east and north. Then was some movement around the town in south. I got fighters there to have a closer look, and sure enough, some enemy infantry were sneaking close despite of not having any roads to keep them supplied. I dealt with them by moving my newest division over there by train, then have them take their way towards north on their own (artillery regiment is way ahead because having horses). And now someone else is moving the border along my road!

Looks like my 2 divisions at present aren't going to cut it. Not even with the third division coming up. I'm pulling my divisions out, have them guard the roads I have made, and wait for the reinforcements. Recon regiment is chasing after the mysterious enemy unit along the road. I made the unit almost by mistake. I thought it'd be a good idea to have a Jeep company in each infantry regiment to provide recon. Then I realized that Jeeps don't move that well in the jungle outside of the roads. So I got Jeeps out of the infantry units, put them together as 1 unit, and thought about naming it Recon Battalion. Then I got an idea to fill the Jeeps with passengers and named the unit Recon Regiment.

Attachment (1)

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/29/2021 5:14:03 PM   
Kuokkanen

Surroundings of enemy capital. Lots of enemies here... Or was before I destroyed a good part of them. There are some leftovers, but I don't expect them to make it through the swamp and across the streams without supplies. I thought bombers would be useful here, and I got them in all types. Since enemy don't have any aircraft nor AA, my bombers can work with impunity as fighters spot targets to them. Strategic bombers have already reduced the capital structural integrity down to 0, and I'm going to keep it down there. Whole lot other stuff going on with the picture. One engineer division has completed its work with connecting the roads from north and center. Another engineer division has been busy with building airfields closer to the capital. I used an airborne division to secure other side of a certain stream so engineer could build a bridge over it, then my divisions rushed in. That airborne division is now heading back to the old airfield where I had it deployed from.

Looks like in north enemy had managed to bring in reinforcements, even a number of armour. But my 1st Armoured Division has already partially flanked them with infantry divisions pressing in from other sides. I'm gonna hit that armour with artillery, push them into 1 hex, then complete motti and erase them altogether. Then rotate my divisions, replenish them, and do it again. I already have my 2nd Armoured Division organizing in the northern forest. A tank battalion and two infantry battalions per regiment. I like this organization much better than one I made for my 1st Armoured Division. Even though infantry can ride on the tanks, half-track unit is useful for recon and provides some extra defense for the infantry. Even though capital is surrounded by a sizable river to its north and east, its south is more approachable. If I manage to get enough of force down there. I'm fast approaching the limit of how much I can produce supplies to the troops.

Also managing increasing number of regiment sized forces is getting weary. Already I have made a division as single counter with HQ staff and combat infantry in a single unit. Only artillery regiment is separated from it. Once I get it to combat, I may separate the regiments from HQ if I need the numbers for motti maneuvers. Is it possible to select all units in a given hex and move the whole stack as one? Would save me loads of time, clicks, and headaches. Even with that, this scenario is going to take a little while longer.

Attachment (1)

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/29/2021 5:28:00 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

Is it possible to select all units in a given hex and move the whole stack as one? Would save me loads of time, clicks, and headaches.

Nope, it's not.

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
    Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.

Try this Global WW2 Scenario: GD1938v3

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/30/2021 5:33:41 PM   
Kuokkanen

Wait, what? I won already!?

Attachment (1)

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/30/2021 5:48:43 PM   
Kuokkanen

"The end" situation immediately after victory screen. Looks like I can still continue the game, and I will. I got 2nd Armoured Division to action, but it was the 1st Armoured that took the town and final points for victory. In screenshot is selected dedicated motorized regiment (has lost 1 Rifle & 1 Machinegun). Two armoured regiments in the division split their numbers half between tanks and infantry. Divisions up there were outrunning logistics train, so I couldn't press on as fast as I wanted. I'm correcting the situation with two engineer divisions building road and I have also moved my top HQs closer.

Otherwise, as you can see, I'm making new roads to connect the southern part and there are some new divisions on their way. HQ counter near the center with 999 is 3rd Armoured Division. After taking the screenshot, I moved it to meet up with 2 other divisions where I divided it to regiments.

And finally, a question. How come capital, Yokohama, repair itself over 1k structural points when its auto repair is only 400?

Attachment (1)

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 7
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/30/2021 6:22:14 PM   
ernieschwitz

Congrats on the win. :)

I believe you win when you own a certain percentage of victory points. Something in me says 66% but I could be wrong.

Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: First random game of |\|008 - 3/30/2021 6:24:30 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

And finally, a question. How come capital, Yokohama, repair itself over 1k structural points when its auto repair is only 400?

The AI is very bad at using it's engineers. So the game is made so that the AI gets an autorepair of 33% as well. It's something you can change in the rulevars if you want to. Most things in the game can be changed in the rulevars.

Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> First random game of |\|008 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI