Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 4:30:36 PM   
MrLongleg

In my first campaign against the UI I am now facing the 5th week of heavy rain all over the Northern half of the map. The rain does not stop at all, it is now early August and the Ruissian summer feels like mud season. Of course that does not help with the progress ;-(

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
Post #: 1
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 5:38:27 PM   
sfbaytf

I saw a youtube - I think by Strategy Dojo that talks about the new weather system and how it will be much more random and less predictable that War in the East 1. Perhaps after more people play and give feedback the model may be tweaked.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 2
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 6:30:19 PM   
squatter

In the three games of the Leningrad scenario I've played there's been several turns of rain in July/Aug.

Was there any significant rain during the real campaign in the first summer?

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 3
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 6:35:19 PM   
Zemke

I kind of like the weather system so far. It introduces randomness to the equation, which can be frustrating, but realistic. My last gasp offensive in November was cut short after one turn of snow, the weather changed to blizzard, and that was that for the Germans.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 4
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 8:07:28 PM   
M60A3TTS

Rain or heavy rain? Rain is represented by 2 drops, and heavy by 4. If it truly is heavy, that sounds wrong. Hence the question.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 5
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 11:02:55 PM   
squatter

In my games its rain not heavy rain (Leningrad area, July/Aug 41)

I'm curious - was there any significant rain at all during Barbarossa before Sept?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 6
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 11:33:52 PM   
pbrowne

July and August are the last months of Summer heading into Autumn (in the northern hemisphere).

The Rasputitsa ('time of no roads') occurs twice a year in Russia, Spring and Autumn. I believe the Autumn Rasputita did not start in earnest until October 1941. Although this may have varied according to location given the vast differences in latitude of the German invasion.

Rather than having random weather, it would be nicer IMO to have the choice of historically accurate weather or random constrained to the season.

I would like to know then how historically accurate the weather is in WITE2, especially as I will play this as more of a historical basis than anything else...

< Message edited by pbrowne -- 4/4/2021 11:44:23 PM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 7
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 11:36:27 PM   
M60A3TTS

I'm sure it rained and that's all that this represents. It isn't debilitating. The advancing Axis troops will still get air support in the rain, they will still surround and rout Soviet units, get their supplies, etc. A lot of the effects are on the margins with virtually all the mud hexes categorized as light mud. A few battles with less casualties, some more trucks lost in supply, but again nothing to substantially slow things down.

There also is no more of this WiTE1 non-random weather where you get 16 of 17 turns of clear and then everything comes to a grinding halt for three weeks. In this game, even in the worst mud weeks, which are about two, scattered light mud hexes amidst a lot of heavy mud hexes are still present where some attacking can be done. You have more freedom of action in the south than in the north due to the rain patterns causing generally drier conditions, which is a mechanic that was obviously absent in the first game.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 8
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/4/2021 11:44:51 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I like this weather system a lot better than WITE1 weather. Adds a great deal more flavor to the playing. But yes it does rain a great deal but until the ground says heavy mud you can keep going.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 9
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/5/2021 12:30:01 AM   
carlkay58

Historically AGC encountered rain in early July and got a quick taste of just what rain means in the Soviet Union. It also rained in the Smolensk area several times in the July - August - September battels. AGN had some rain at the end of June and some in August. AGS seems to have either had great weather through the end of August or it was not bad enough to remark on.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 10
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/5/2021 4:52:26 AM   
pbrowne

Thanks for this carlkay58.

I have only just started reading Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East by Stahel so I expect that detail would be in there somewhere.

But can I ask your source for this info?

Peter

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 11
RE: Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) - 4/5/2021 10:29:37 AM   
carlkay58

Stahel for AGC. The others are from memory of reading about the front for over 50 years.

(in reply to pbrowne)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Strange Weather (heavy rain all summer) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI