Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Assigning RR Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Assigning RR Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 8:14:01 AM   
James80

Hey,

I know that RR Units will be assigned automatically each turn to hqs. I want to keep that routine but sometimes I want to assign them to an (xxx) hq so that they will repair in their (5) command radius. I don't want to lock the hq cause I want to keep the automatic routine generally. In the logistic phase: Will the hq first assign them to the rail repair hexes and then they will be assigned to other hqs or is it the other way round? Or to ask it the other way round: Is there any logic to assign RR units to hqs without locking them?

Regards

James
Post #: 1
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 8:16:34 AM   
loki100

the simple answer is no - I presume you really want them in a given place and that isn't what the auto assign routine delivers.

there are 2 partial solutions. One is while they are out at work they can't be re-assigned, the other is you can lock any HQ in the system you want, so you could for eg lock that one and let the auto-assign function everywhere else. A locked HQ won't take on, or send away any SUs.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 2
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 8:30:30 AM   
James80

Thanks for your fast response, Roger.

I just wanted them to be in that place for one turn to repair one or two railways, as an example. But then I will assign them and lock them for one or two turns an then unlock the hq again.

Perhaps a follow up question: Is my approach a valid one? I am playing the RtL (as axis) scenario and I have just one FBD. So I tried to use my other RRU as effective as possible.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 8:35:29 AM   
loki100

yes, a lot of players are putting the auto RR units into say 18A at the start. the logic is you tend to inherit a fragmented rail net in the region with a a mix of captured intact and destroyed rail hexes, these SUs are then a great way to repair the system.

So if they are in a corps, you gain a lot of control over where they can repair

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 4
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 8:37:30 AM   
Nix77

quote:

ORIGINAL: James80

Thanks for your fast response, Roger.

I just wanted them to be in that place for one turn to repair one or two railways, as an example. But then I will assign them and lock them for one or two turns an then unlock the hq again.

Perhaps a follow up question: Is my approach a valid one? I am playing the RtL (as axis) scenario and I have just one FBD. So I tried to use my other RRU as effective as possible.

I used to do this in WitE1 all the time, mostly using RHG commands. I recall they sent the RR units only 5 hexes away, while other armies had longer range, not sure if this is still the case in WitE2?

EDIT: tested it out, RHG acts like normal army so it sends them 15 hexes away. So corps HQ is your weapon of choice for pinpoint RR repair! RHG is situationally useful if you can position it so that it reaches only your desired repair targets since SEC divisions rarely see combat and thus don't have an acute need for close HQ.

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 4/2/2021 9:04:00 AM >

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 5
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/2/2021 12:25:14 PM   
carlkay58

Corps HQs are definitely the way to go for this. In the south it is easy to commit one of the Hungarian Corps HQs for this purpose and later on a Rumanian Corps when the Rumanian FBD withdraws.

< Message edited by carlkay58 -- 4/2/2021 12:26:28 PM >

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 6
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/4/2021 9:39:01 AM   
James80

Perhaps a follow up question: Is there a system how the hqs determine which railway sections need to repair? Or is it random?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 7
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/4/2021 12:25:44 PM   
carlkay58

The repair units are assigned by the AI during the friendly logistics phase randomly. However you can 'game' the system. Corps HQs will deploy their SUs within five hexes. So if there is only one hex within that range that can be repaired then that is where the unit will go. So you can manage some of it by carefully moving your HQ to where it will repair where you want.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 8
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/4/2021 5:38:31 PM   
James80

This game is so sophisticated, that I can't belief they are randomly assigned. I am really curious if there is a routine behind it

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 9
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/4/2021 5:44:43 PM   
loki100

best I can offer (from observation), if they are in OKH or an army group they will invariably try to repair west-east from the border. They are also fairly good at repairing from a capture port.

at a lower command I think they tend to the west end of their range (if you are playing the axis) but less sure over this.

as Carl says, one advantage of hooking them to a corps, esp in the Baltic sector is that you can heavily rig where they try to repair from.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 10
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/4/2021 7:14:51 PM   
Jeff_Ahl

So much can be manually choosen in the game...even indiviual plane load out, but not assign RR-units as u like (except FBD/NKPS). Kind of interesting, and the work arounds for the problem steals hell of alot of time.

Why just not make it possible to use them manually?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 11
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 6:24:38 AM   
James80

Interesting question. Alternatively I could imagine to priotize some hex fields by using admin points.

(in reply to Jeff_Ahl)
Post #: 12
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 10:42:02 AM   
Jeff_Ahl

quote:

Interesting question. Alternatively I could imagine to priotize some hex fields by using admin points.

Yeah, that would be less tricky.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 13
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 1:05:45 PM   
con

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff_Ahl

quote:

Yeah, that would be less tricky.

I really like this idea - its an interesting observation that so much is under the players control but a critical part of rail repair is not. On the RtL there is a lot of issues with even Corps sized HQs sending out repair units to spurs/branches when I really need them to focus on a straight line to the front.

(in reply to Jeff_Ahl)
Post #: 14
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 1:13:36 PM   
TheFerret

quote:

It would probably be most ergonomic to build a depot and then have a "priority rail repair target" option that directs nearby rail repair units to connect it with national supply source.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 15
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 6:47:46 PM   
carlkay58

That was actually something you could do early in the testing. Then someone came up with the bright idea of spamming depots down a rail line and proved that the Axis could have rails to both Stalino and Moscow by turn 10 . . .

(in reply to TheFerret)
Post #: 16
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/5/2021 9:17:47 PM   
con

I do think using a scarce resource like Admin points could be useful here. This could be a sliding scale (ie start at 5 points and each time you designate a hex for RR it adds 1) - thus the thrid designated hex for RR would cost 5+3=8 etc. This would prevent the player from just designating all the hexes but force them to spend admin points to go after really critical ones.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 17
RE: Assigning RR Units - 4/6/2021 2:13:59 AM   
Rexzapper

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFerret

It would probably be most ergonomic to build a depot and then have a "priority rail repair target" option that directs nearby rail repair units to connect it with national supply source.

Wow, this seems like a really good idea. Could the player be given the ability to prioritize the repair of the railway line in that way maybe "around a specific supply depot per week" ... or something like that? Something that is not excessive but at the same time that allows prioritizing a specific critical point without excess micromanagement. A kind of 28.6.4 (Priority Repair) but for railway lines. German FDBs, for example, prioritize specific and general directions determined by the player, but sometimes there are local needs that must also be taken care of on a high priority, and the current system is sometimes very complicated. Obviously you are not going to move an FDB, for example, a hundred miles from its preset optimal route to solve a very specific problem ... and the way in which the construction units work to do it is, to say the least, cumbersome.

< Message edited by Rexzapper -- 4/6/2021 3:01:40 AM >

(in reply to TheFerret)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Assigning RR Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI