Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:05:22 PM   
pavel01

I am Trying to run WitP on a Laptop 15" screen.

I did create a Shortcut of the executable file adding -wd -px1366 -py768 but the game Window results a "little bit" too large both in width and in height as compared to the Laptop 15" screen. Not too much, but still, a "little" bit too wide and high....

That is, I miss some informations at the edges of the screen.

I have tried with other resolutions like 1024x768 or 1280x800 or 1200x768 or 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 but all of these, get me a WitP game Window that is considerably less in width that my 15" Laptop screen...

Bottom line is, the 1366x768 is the one that "almost" does it BUT, it is only a little bit too wide and high..... and, I cannot seem to "resize" the game Window that little bit to just make it fit on my Laptop screen, once it has come out.

Can anyone more "tech experienced", please tell me what resolution I could try to better fit the game window in my Laptop 15" screen ?

I even tried something like 1300x740 (that little bit less that I thought might have helped...) but it did not do anything, the game Window came out like all the others (1024x768 or 1280x800 or 1200x768 or 1680x1050 or 1920x1080).

The Video Card is a GeForce 820M.

Thank you for the kind help !
Post #: 1
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:08:15 PM   
Yaab

Maybe try full screen?

I am running the game on a laptop with 15.6 inch screen. Screen's native resolution is 1920 x1080.

Here is my switch
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -skipVideo -archive -deepColor -dd_sw -px1600 -py900

The game runs in full screen, zero graphical glitches.

In "Personalize your screen" in Win10, my text, apps size is set to 125%, which is the recommended setting.

I can run the game in 1920 x 1080 resolution in full screen (text and apps set to 100% recommended), but then the game icons and text are too small for me.

Hope it helps.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 2
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:25:17 PM   
pavel01

Thank you but I would much prefer Windowed Mode because I am learning the game and I need to always look at the Manual, PDF help guides, even Videos as well as all of the great informations of this Forum !!

I tried Full SCreen and to ALT+TAB but it just messes up my WitP Screen.... I get all sorts of glitches and black out when doing Full Screen and ALT+TAB so, I would rather much prefer running WitP in Windowed Mode.

But I am REALLY having a hard time trying to find the Resolution that does it...

I just tried your same Resolutions, -wd -px1600 -py900 and also -wd -px1920 -py1080 but with no result, they both make my game Window smaller in width as my Laptop screen just like the other Resolutions that I have tried (1024x768 or 1280x800 or 1200x768 or 1680x1050 or 1920x1080)....

Does anyone else by any chance have some other suggestion ?

By the way, I am using WINDOWS 8.1

I would REALLY love to be able to play WitP in Windowed Mode, but with a game Window that would stay well within my 15" Laptop screen....

By the way what do these switches do ?

altFont
-skipVideo
-archive
-deepColor
-dd_sw

Thank you for the kind help.

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 4/6/2021 4:28:07 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:32:17 PM   
Yaab

I use Windows Key+D to switch from game screen to Windows.

You have a WhatsNew pdf file in your main WITP:AE directory.

Here is some info copied from the file.

-colorBlind : Support for color blindness
-deepColor : Enables 32 bit color, intended for Full Screen mode
-altFont : Enables alternate in-game font (Lucida Sans Unicode)
-w : Windowed mode
-wd : Windowed mode, daily autosaves
-ww : Windowed mode, weekly autosaves
-fd : Full screen, daily autosaves
-fw : Full screen, weekly autosaves
-r : Show Roads
-autosave : Daily autosave
-archive : Put data reports in archive directory
-skipVideo : Skip the intro video when starting the game
-fixedArt : Will not use rotating images

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 4
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:38:50 PM   
Yaab

BTW, pavel01, what is your laptop's native resolution?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 5
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:41:11 PM   
pavel01

Thank you again for the reply.

I tried Full Screen again, and this time using Windows Key+D to switch from game screen to Windows as you suggested but, unfortunately, I still get all sorts of glitches and stuff missing when I get back into the game. It is so bad that the game becomes unplayable...

I have no idea why it does it, but it does it, unfortunately....

It looks like my only option would be running WitP in Windowed Mode as I really need to check all infos, Manual and stuff about the game, but how to fit it well in my Laptop 15" screen ? What -px and -py setting should I use with my video card ?

I am very much surprised how Matrix, with a game of this complexity, did not make it running in Windowed Mode much easier....

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 6
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:44:11 PM   
pavel01

Where do I find my Laptop's native resolution ?

If I do right-mouse click on my Desktop screen and select "Screen Resolution" from the small Menu, it tells me that 1366 x 768 is recommended.

Can you please tell me how and where to check about my Laptop's native resolution ?
I am running WINDOWS 8.1 and the Video card is a GeForce 820M

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 7
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 4:56:01 PM   
Yaab

Well, I verify native resolution by using
Windows Search (magnifying glass icon) > type "system information" > select "Components" > select "Screen" > ( native resolution is displayed in the right-hand column)

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 8
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:02:59 PM   
pavel01

Well, I found how to check it on mine :

===============================================================================================
It's a good idea to set your monitor to the resolution it was designed to display (called the native resolution). To see your monitor's native resolution, check the display settings in PC settings.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2.Tap or click PC and devices, then tap or click Display.

3. Tap or click the resolution slider and drag it until you find the resolution marked (Recommended). This is your monitor's native resolution—usually the highest resolution your monitor can support.

4.Tap or click Apply.
==================================================================================================

Which I did, and it comes out that it is that 1366 x 768 which I was trying but which, for some reasons, ends me up with the WitP game Window a bit too large and, thus, I miss something along the edges....

It is really frustrating.... I wished I was able to RESIZE manually that WitP Window so as to make it as large as I want to fit all info in my screen....

Why I can resize all Windows on my screen but NOT the WitP Window ?

Do I need some special switch in the executable for WitP to be able then RESIZE its Window once it comes up ?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 9
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:09:34 PM   
Yaab

I don't know if the game supports resolutions lower than 800 pixels width. Maybe others can chime in?

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 10
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:16:57 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I don't know if the game supports resolutions lower than 800 pixels width. Maybe others can chime in?

Yes, please !!

Anyone else who can help me out ?

I'd really love to get more seriously into playing WitP but, if I do not solve this Windowed Mode issue, I honestly cannot as Full Screen does not let me then get to Windows (when I get back into the game all the screen is messed up, lots of glitches and missing graphics...) and I cannot seem to find a Windowed Mode that fits well in my Laptop screen....

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 11
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:24:25 PM   
geofflambert

Is your task bar overlaying the window? Try moving it to one side instead of top or bottom, I use the right side. Also, just try dragging the window by the top bar, unclicking, then drag it back. It may adjust somewhat for you.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 12
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:46:40 PM   
fritzfarlig

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4637477

Mayby this can help

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 13
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:52:34 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Is your task bar overlaying the window? Try moving it to one side instead of top or bottom, I use the right side. Also, just try dragging the window by the top bar, unclicking, then drag it back. It may adjust somewhat for you.

Thank you for heads up.

I have the Task bar set to disappear so, it totally gets out of the way.... but it is not enough for the WitP in Windowed Mode to be able to display all of its contents at the edges.

I tried moving the Window but it does not move nor permit manual adjustment of its size.

The only thing that I can do is click the Minimize/Maximize in the upper right corner which, unfortunately, does not help to "refit" my WitP well onto my scren....

I will try to embed a Minimized Window and a Maximized Window to better explain myself...

This is the Minimized one

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 14
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 5:59:54 PM   
pavel01

And this one is the Maximized Game Window

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 4/6/2021 6:01:40 PM >

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 15
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 6:03:29 PM   
pavel01

As it can be seen, when trying to load the game in Windowed Mode, I am missing edges....

And I cannot manually resize the game Window, who know why, since I can with any other Window....

Any suggestion on how I can sort this out ?

Thanks!

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 16
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 6:16:25 PM   
Yaab

Will this help?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4546046

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 17
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 6:39:04 PM   
USSAmerica

I know that when running AE in Windowed Mode it cannot be resized. The only way is to change your command line values, making them a little smaller (assuming your display can handle the sizes specified. Many can only adjust in stepped increments. It will probably take a bit of experimenting on your part with different values to find the pair that work best for your display.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 18
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 7:07:23 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Will this help?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4546046

Thanks, but I do not think my issue is caused by "Black Bars"... it is more really a Windows Mode "size" issue....

The bar at the top which "looks" dark/Black, is actually a game bar, I think, where game informations gets written or the buttons appear after the game turn ends...

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 19
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 7:11:21 PM   
BBfanboy

Try putting an f in front of your px and py values (but after the hyphen). That is supposed to "force" the computer to accept the resolution.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 7:38:09 PM   
geofflambert

Oh, for the good old days of the CRT with knobs you could turn to squish the vertical and horizontal.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 7:43:38 PM   
pavel01

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Try putting an f in front of your px and py values (but after the hyphen). That is supposed to "force" the computer to accept the resolution.

Thanks, is it safe to "force" a given Resolution or might it happen some harm to either the Graphics Card or the Display hardware ?

The reason for asking, is that my impression is that the supported Resolutions are in steps...

All Resolutions are "Landscape"

1366 x 768 is the recommended one

then the other Resolutions "steps" on the slider are :

1360 x 768
1280 x 768
1280 x 720
1024 x 768

Do you think I could, for example, "force" a Resolution of 1350 x 750 (a little less wide and a little as high as compared to the 1366 x 768 which produces those 2 screenshots which I attached in my posts above this one) and this, without worrying that such "forcing" could damage the Graphics Card or the Display hardware ?

Sorry for the question, but my tech knowledge is quite limited...

Thanks for the help !!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/6/2021 11:26:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pavel01

quote:

Thanks, is it safe to "force" a given Resolution or might it happen some harm to either the Graphics Card or the Display hardware ?

The reason for asking, is that my impression is that the supported Resolutions are in steps...

All Resolutions are "Landscape"

1366 x 768 is the recommended one

then the other Resolutions "steps" on the slider are :

1360 x 768
1280 x 768
1280 x 720
1024 x 768

Do you think I could, for example, "force" a Resolution of 1350 x 750 (a little less wide and a little as high as compared to the 1366 x 768 which produces those 2 screenshots which I attached in my posts above this one) and this, without worrying that such "forcing" could damage the Graphics Card or the Display hardware ?

Forcing does not cause damage, but could result in slightly slower graphics handling because the Graphics Processor has to handle the non-native stuff while the native resolutions would have pre-programmed chips to handle those.

Sorry for the question, but my tech knowledge is quite limited...

Thanks for the help !!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 23
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/7/2021 3:26:17 PM   
SetiZen

yes, Im pretty sure you can adjust the resolution pixel-wise without any worry for your hardware using the f-suffix.
I had the same issue with the windowed mode - but using W10 here.

My command line: WitPaAE.exe -wd -pxf1900 -pyf1060 -deepColor -dd_sw -altFont -archive

You can also use the "SeaBee" Tool to adjust the command line. All options are explained there.

< Message edited by SetiZen -- 4/7/2021 3:27:35 PM >

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 24
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 6:45:25 AM   
Chris21wen

I have a similar problem but my recomended native sizes is bigger, 1920x1080. The only way I could get the graphics to look right and enable me to do what you want to do is it run in a window set one display size lower then this. It turns out to be 1600x900.

I suggest you set yours to 1280x750.

(in reply to SetiZen)
Post #: 25
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 8:45:35 AM   
pavel01

Thanks for the Reply.

Unfortunately, I did try with 1280 x 750 but it did not work, you can see the result in the picture here, I am missing the last Industry Line at the bottom for Base hexes....

And no, trying to "adjust" the game Window moving it does not work... I cannot resize it at the buttom to include that last game Window line (the Industry bar at Base Hexes) and it makes things even worse because the Window Bar at the top (which in the picture as you can see is not visible), as soon as I try to "adjust" the WitP game Window, "pops up" thus killing even the Ground Units bar at the bottom when at the Bases Hexes....

I also tried forcing vary smaller resolutions "outside" of my "stepped" Resolutions like -pxf1350 -pyf750 or around these numbers, give or take, but the result always comes out as the one in the picture here. I still loose informations at the edge of the Vetical screen, most notably, like the last 1 or 2 lines (Industry and sometimes also Ground units...).

The only 2 Resolutions which "seem" to get the entire screen, but go "over" it, thus cutting out all of the game informations at the edges of the game window, are 1366 x 768 which is the recommended one for my Graphic card/Display, and 1360 x 768 which also gets moreless same results as 1366 x 768. You can see the Pictures in a couple of Posts above where it is indicated "Minimized" and "Maximized". The Main losses are the lower screen ones, the Lines with all Ground Units and Industries at the Bases Hexes....

The other Resolutions "Steps" supported by by Video Card/Display are :

1280 x 768 (Tried this but while the width is smaller, the hight is still too high, I loose info)
1280 x 720 (This one comes as the picture here attached. Loose the last bottom line with Industry)
1024 x 768 (This one comes as the picture here attached. Loose the last bottom line with Industry)

Honestly, I have no clue how to sort this problem out.... do I need to surrender and give up my desire to play WitP ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 4/8/2021 8:51:04 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 26
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 9:53:14 AM   
SetiZen

Have you tried the -dd_sw or -altFont options?
Even if it doesn't make a difference for my system, maybe it does for yours?
These options affect the display as well.
No other ideas here, sorry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 27
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 1:31:30 PM   
pavel01

quote:

-dd_sw or -altFont options?

I tried with the -dd_sw or -altFont options, but unfortunately, it did not change it...

I still miss the one line in the lower part of the Window that Displays the Industries at the Bases Hexes....

I am running the "official" Version 1.8.11.26a July 10 2016.

I seem to understand that a 26b "beta" version is available, is it OK to use it ?
Would it help me with my Windowed Mode problem ?

What is different in 26b from 26a ?

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 4/8/2021 1:32:03 PM >

(in reply to SetiZen)
Post #: 28
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 1:47:30 PM   
BBfanboy

When you force the resolutions you do not have to use the ones that come up on your desktop properties. You should be able to reduce the height while keeping the width you have. It will give some minor distortion (horizontal stretching) of the graphics but not enough to make them unusable.

I may have given the wrong position for the 'f' when forcing the resolution. The other player who commented placed it after the -px/-py. You can try it both ways to see which one succeeds. Be sure to use the hyphen with the switch, not the minus sign on the numeric keyboard area.

(in reply to pavel01)
Post #: 29
RE: WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? - 4/8/2021 3:01:06 PM   
pavel01

quote:

When you force the resolutions you do not have to use the ones that come up on your desktop properties. You should be able to reduce the height while keeping the width you have. It will give some minor distortion (horizontal stretching) of the graphics but not enough to make them unusable.

I may have given the wrong position for the 'f' when forcing the resolution. The other player who commented placed it after the -px/-py. You can try it both ways to see which one succeeds. Be sure to use the hyphen with the switch, not the minus sign on the numeric keyboard area.

Unfortunately, I tried with the 'f' either before or after -px/-py and with various combinations of Resolution like 1360 x 760 OR 1360 x 750 OR 1350 x 750 but they all result in the screen shot that you can see in Post # 26 that I made....

Oh, and I did make sure to use the hyphen which is right next to the 0 (zero) key, to the right of the 0 (zero) key.....

It looks like, for some reasons, it would not accept "forced" Resolutions for my Video Card/Display but only those Resolutions "in steps" indicated... which are :

1366 x 768 (See the images attached in Posts # 14 & 15. I loose the bottom Line for Industry)
1360 x 768 (See the images attached in Posts # 14 & 15. I loose the bottom Line for Industry)
1280 x 768 (Tried this but while the width is smaller, the hight is still too high, I loose info)
1280 x 720 (This one comes as the picture here attached. Loose the last bottom line with Industry)
1024 x 768 (This one comes as the picture here attached. Loose the last bottom line with Industry)

What I do not understand, is why this issue is ONLY with the Window for War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition....

I can resize ANY OTHER Window just fine....
Browsers Window, Applications windows, ANY other Window I can resize as I want.

NOT the Window for War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition.

What gives ? Why is that ?

Also, I am running the "official" Version 1.8.11.26a July 10 2016.

I seem to understand that a 26b "beta" version is available, is it OK to use it ?

Would it help me with my Windowed Mode problem ?

What is different in 26b from 26a ?

< Message edited by pavel01 -- 4/8/2021 3:02:33 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> WitP Windowed Mode : Can anyone please HELP me ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI